Start by marking “May I Please Have a Cookie?” as Want to Read:
May I Please Have a Cookie?

May I Please Have a Cookie?

In this Level 1 Scholastic Reader, Alfie learns that the best way to get a delicious cookie is to say please!

Alfie loves his mommy's cookies, and he wants one more than anything! But grabbing for one, fishing for one, and dressing up as a cookie inspector don't seem to work. His mommy says there is a better way. What is it?

Beginning readers will learn proper manners with A
Published October 1st 2005 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about May I Please Have a Cookie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May I Please Have a Cookie?

Tamera Fleming
Sep 20, 2016 Tamera Fleming rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Alligator Mommy is baking cookies and Alfie loves cookies, but when he tries to grab one, his mom tells him to “think of a better way to get a cookie.” He comes up with three funny tricks to get his treat, but it isn't until he asks politely that mom gives him what he wants.
2) Grade level, interest level, lexile: The grade level for this is book preschool-3rd. The interest level for this book would be for 4-8 ages because this is the stage where the children are going to school
Dena (Batch of Books)
Dec 11, 2012 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
More reviews on my blog: Books for Kids
Super adorable illustrations accompany this imaginative story about a little alligator that wants a cookie. Little Alfie tries everything to get a cookie, but his mom keeps saying no.

Finally, with a little help from mom, he figures out that he needs to say please.

The best part about this story were the illustrations. They were absolutely fantastic, and perfect for the age level. The word choices were simple and the text was nice and large to make identifyi
Nola
Dec 17, 2016 Nola rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What's really interesting is that I think the premise of ask for what you want, politely, and then getting a positive answer in return can be taught over and over again ... My secondary classes (ages 12-15) could use this book to remind them to ask permission to use their cell phones. Lol!
Karen C.
"May I Please Have a Cookie?" by Jennifer E. Morris introduces two characters, Alfie and his Mommy, who together teach children that manners are very important. In the story Alfie struggles to find ways to convince his mom to give him cookies. He comes up with some creative ways to convince her but his mom simply does not give in.

Throughout the illustrations, the reader could see horizontal and vertical lines on almost every page. The lines separated the illustrations from the text, so that the
Barbara
This charming board book will find many fans among youngsters who love cookies but don't always know how to go about getting them in a polite way as well as caregivers who can use the book as an example of courteous behavior. Little Alfie, an adorable alligator with expressive eyes, simply loves cookies, and he can't wait to snag one as his mother puts them on the plate. She suggests that he think of some alternatives to grabbing a cookie. Naturally, Alfie wants those cookies, and he comes up wi ...more
Joshua Robles
Jan 28, 2016 Joshua Robles rated it liked it
This book starts us off by introducing us to Alfie. Alfie loves his moms cookies and will do whatever it takes to get them. He is a young alligator who, like most kids, has a sweet tooth. He is learning the concepts of manners. After a few attempts Alfie will finally get what he desires and learns a valuable lesson from his mom. This was a very easy book to read and is one that parents should read to their children to help them with manners. What makes this book great is that it is so simple and ...more
Mary Anne
Dec 07, 2016 Mary Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
A perfect early reader! Alfie's mommy is making cookies. Alfie wants one and mommy wants him to think of a good way to get a cookie. His attempts to get a cookie are funny and creative.
Briana Dicus
Apr 02, 2013 Briana Dicus rated it it was amazing
This is my 2 year old's favorite book. She calls it her "Cookie Book". Her favorite parts are when his mustache falls off and when mommy gets distracted and makes a mess with the frosting. My 6 year old has heard it enough to "read it". Now that she's reading in school, I make her slow down and actually read it instead of paraphrasing each page.

Basically - Alfie wants a cookie. Tries to grab one. Mommy says no and to think of a better way to get a cookie. Alfie comes up with some creative ideas.
Sabrina
I don't usually care for leveled readers, but I read this book to my 6-year-old nephew who giggled throughout the entire thing and I had to admit that I liked this one. He thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations and the funny ideas that the main alligator had in the story. The alligator's mom is trying to teach him manners and tells the alligator to find a better way to ask for a cookie after each of the alligator's attempts. Finally, through his mother's example, the alligator learns a polite way ...more
Cody
Feb 06, 2015 Cody rated it liked it
There's something about cartoon alligators that I find endearing. This book has everything you need for beginning readers: vibrant artwork, relevant vocabulary words, cookies, and, as mentioned previously...some rocking alligators. But what appeals to me most of all, is the underlying theme of manners and the purpose they serve. As a parent and a teacher, this tale models how to get what you want through politeness and respect, not bossiness or rudeness. That theme in and of itself makes this a ...more
I like this book. It showed the crazy ideas kids will come up with in order to get a cookie, some of them were funny. I like books that will make my students laugh. I like how the mom felt sorry for her son and eventually modeled how to ask for a cookie. I would read this during a manners unit.

Interest Level http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bo...
DRA: 14
Guided Reading: H
Nicole
Feb 29, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
My 2yr and 7mo son really liked this book. The illustration is really nice and clear. Easy sentences let him understand the story without too much effort. The message inside on what they should say when they want something is also very appropriate (especially during the 2's phase). One of those books for which he asks "again, please" :)
Robert
Dec 27, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok
This is an easy reader book. The young alligator wants a cookie that his mother has baked. He attempts a few different schemes to procure. He is rebuffed each time. It is not until he uses his manners that his mother provides him a cookie. I would, however, have given him one with the detective outfit as it was cute. :)
Dewey
May 11, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book...relatively simple, very cute, and could appeal to any storytime age group. I love how simply it incorporates teaching your kid manners into a story about baking cookies...and I especially love that the mom models the behavior she wants her son to use. Life lessons, guys.
Joss
Feb 06, 2016 Joss rated it really liked it
Shelves: m
Kim
May 07, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
Mama keeps asking Alfie, "Can you think of a better way to get a cookie?" until he comes up with "the best idea of all."
Markus
Jul 15, 2014 Markus rated it liked it
Just read this with my nephew. The art is cute and it's a good book for learning about please and thank you. On a story telling level, though, it's not that great.
Tiffany
My 6-year-old flew through this book, and she was smiling the entire time she read it. This is a good book for advanced preschool and Kindergarten readers.
Dana Johnson
Nov 01, 2012 Dana Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310-1
This is a book for beginning readers. Shows how when you have manners you can get what you want. Great lesson to book!
Lauren Fidler
we're working on sight with fiona (2.5), and she LOVES alfie. she's actually got most of this one memorized, it's pretty cute to watch.
Takishia Gabriel
Oct 19, 2011 Takishia Gabriel rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book. This book would be great to teach students about manners. Please and Thank You are the majic words.
Miss Sarah
Jan 20, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners, cookies
alfie wants a cookie but his mom wants to teach him it's not polite to just grab. So he sets off on a mission to figure out the best way to eat a cookie.
ABC
Aug 26, 2008 ABC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
Great book that teaches your child to say, "May I please have a cookie?" rather than grabbing them or saying "I want a cookie."
Glenn
Feb 05, 2009 Glenn rated it it was amazing
This book was funny! It was funny because my mom acts like the mom in the book when I ask for cookies too! I really liked this book. I give it 5 stars
Carol
Oct 12, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
A sweet well illustrated book that tells young readers how to think through a problem and come up with a solution.
Mohan Devarinti
Mohan Devarinti rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Meag
Meag rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Josie
Josie rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Alma Petterson
Alma Petterson rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
E.M. Finn
E.M. Finn rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
  • Clifford's Busy Week (Clifford the Big Red Dog (Paperback))
  • My Tooth Is About to Fall Out
  • Fortunately, Unfortunately
  • A Second Is a Hiccup: A Child's Book of Time
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • Franklin's Secret Club
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • Just Critters Who Care (Little Critter)
  • Moo Hoo