Start by marking “The Fall (The Rift #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fall (The Rift #1)

The Fall (The Rift #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The World Will Never Be The Same...

An ancient evil, trapped in the ruins of a lost Mayan temple for centuries, has been unleashed. It takes the form of a deadly virus, one that causes violent insanity in the living and the recently departed to rise and walk. It spreads around the globe, throwing the world into chaos and war.

As it progresses, those in the States who find th
Paperback, 1st Edition, 274 pages
Published April 21st 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall

The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthy1984 by George OrwellThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
This is the end...
211th out of 698 books — 1,219 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienImpossible by Nancy WerlinRed Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-CartwrightThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldFallen by Lauren Kate
Landscape Book Covers
137th out of 217 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Darkfallen
Something you should probably know about me before we start this review here...My one true phobia in life is of the creepy crawly variety. Creepy crawly things you can see, microscopic creepers you cant...it doesn't matter. They both scare the bajeezus out of me. Like they scare me WAY more than say flesh eating dead guys?!

So what do you think happened when Mr. Duperre here mixed BOTH creepy crawlies (both microscopic and the crunchy kind) with flesh eating not at all 'Hi I'm a zombie'

But rath
Jaidis Shaw
The Fall: The Rift Book One by Robert J. Duperre is a terrifying and captivating tale of a zombie infested “end of days”. Mr. Duperre is an incredibly gifted writer, bringing his written world to life with vivid descriptions and close-to-home scenarios! The reader will find themselves identifying with at least one, if not all, of the very real characters within this book. The story begins with the discovery of an ancient Mayan temple. A ruin that was hidden away, meant to be forgotten. For Dr. K ...more
your word of the day is gratuitous.

gra·tu·i·tous (gruh-too-i-tuhs): being without apparent reason, cause, or justification.

that's your buzzword for this book, kids. after reading it, i'm not even sure what audience it's aimed at. explanations and writing style lean toward YA, but remember our word?

gratuitous violence? check.

gratuitous sex? check.

gratuitous yet detailed and loving descriptions of decapitations, explosions, zombie slaying, bugs, up close knife work? check.

gratuitious language? ch
One Pushy Fox
I was immediately drawn in by how real the characters in this book felt to me, because that's how they're portrayed, warts and all. I love how even the hero, who we learn may have some greater, supernatural significance (stress on the "may" since this is only book one out of four), is filled with doubts about himself and others. There's no, "Oh, I'm the chosen one and I will save the world" moments in this book. Just a bunch of real people stuck in an INSANE world trying to figure out what comes ...more
Bewitched Bookworms
This is an amazing first book in a series. I was drawn in and I am definitely looking forward to reading the second book (which I purchased for myself about 10% into this book, it's just that good!). My only complaint is that I know I'm going to finish the next book far before the third and forth books come out. *sigh*

Read the full review here.
E.J. Stevens
Move over old-school zombies, there's a new evil in town.

The Fall is the first book in the epic horror series The Rift. Duperre whisks the readers to an archaeological dig in Central America, but this is not your typical Indiana Jones adventure. Things go terribly, irrevocably wrong and an ancient undead evil is unleashed on the world. I should warn you that if you have any insect phobias you will be scratching away before the first chapter is over. That scene *still* gives me nightmares...and
Brainycat
Aug 16, 2013 Brainycat rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of boring, disjointed zombiepocalypses
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
blasphemy: 1
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

I only made it through 32% of this book before I gave up on it. The pace of the writing seemed like it plodded along unchanged, no matter if the protagonist was unleashing demons from ancient tombs or eating dinner with his parents. The story is written in multiple third persons, I suppose to try and show the enormity of the unfolding zombiepocalypse, but none of the charac
Jason
The Fall by Robert J. Duperre is the first book in a series about a mysterious medical condition that sweeps the globe after a researcher stumbles onto some hidden ruins deep in the Yucatan Peninsula. The story has the structure of those hit Hollywood blockbusters like Independence Day or Outbreak. It never takes its foot off the gas pedal, getting in close with no shyness about the grisly, horrific details.

Joshua Benoit and Kyra Holcomb are true products of a gritty, mundane small town, wastin
D.P. Prior
The Fall: An Undead Apocalypse.

Zombie apocalypse is not my usual genre, but I agreed to look at this book and was happy to receive a copy from the author.

I had mixed feelings when I began The Fall. I found the opening chapters difficult to engage with and tried to work out why. There was good writing and heaps of atmosphere, but something wasn’t working for me. After much deliberation, I realized it was the language. Not all the language, just bits here and there where the writing stretched and
Craig DiLouie
In THE FALL by Robert J. Duperre, an ancient evil, trapped in the ruins of a lost Mayan temple, is accidentally unleashed and takes the form of a deadly virus that causes the living to become violently insane, and the dead to rise and seek the flesh of the living. As the plague spreads across the world, Josh and Kyre, two average people trapped by their particular circumstances, are suddenly forced to assume their destinies as leaders. This book, subtitled THE RIFT, is the start of a series of f ...more
Derek Schneider
A mysterious curse is inadvertently released on the human race. The result is a mutation that spreads quickly over the face of the earth.

This is a great beginning to what looks to be an epic series. The story moved along at a quick pace, yet the author did a good job of creating deep and likable characters. The monsters are more than mere zombies. These things are quick and ruthless, creating carnage and gore in their wake.

This is the first book I've read on my phone using Kindle for Android and
Wanda Hartzenberg
An entertaining read with its own unique voice and a world that is all too real and familiar until it is not all of a sudden and even then humans can be as scary alive as dead.
The world building is exceptionally well done in this book. With numerous characters being introduced I was at first scared that the author would confuse me and that in my confusion I would start to miss the plot line. My fears were unfounded.
The author did a brilliant job in setting the stage for the characters, working
Mark
Awful. maybe I shouldn't have read Tim Curran's The Devil Next Door before this one. I am glad I did tho. Curran's version of the end of the world is gritty, bloody and brutal. The story in The Fall is anemic and tame. It's a Zombie story without zombies, an Apocalypse tale with hope. Maybe it was supposed to be a Young Adult novel (or Young Young Adult), but if it's about a disease, I don't know the symptoms, if it's about some things worse than zombies, I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know ...more
Kolby
The idea that a zombie apocalypse is being guided by a sentient, malevolent force is pretty cool. This book was one of the more entertaining zombie fiction novels I've read recently.
AH
Feb 01, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 2/1/12.
Helle
This book have zombies, horror, mayan mythology and it is about dark forces from the beginning of the time.

Sometimes you do not need to know what happened to a lost civilisation and when the warnings say stop you need to stop. Archaeologists from every World want to find out things, but maybe there is a reason to heed the warnings and stay away, this is the beginning of the horror mankind need to fight, but this also about someone that have the immune to not get changed like everyone else, about
Jamie Eastman
Not bad

Not bad

I got lucky and read this re-edited version, I heard the first was a mess, but I digress, this book was good, I felt involved with the characters, cheering them on, hoping for the best for them, I'm definitely going to be reading the others, I have to know what happens.
Teresa
YOUR TYPICAL APOCALYPTIC TALE: IN THIS CASE THE DEADLY TOXIN THAT SWEEPS THE WORLD IS RELEASED FROM A RECENTLY DISCOVERED MAYAN TEMPLE SOMEWHERE IN SOUTH AMERICA. AS PEOPLE FALL VICTIM THEY EITHER DIE AND BECOME ZOMBIES OR THEY SORT OF HALF-DIE AND TURN INTO ULTRA-VIOLENT, LOGICAL, PLANNING, FLESH-EATERS. LITTLE EMPHASIS ON THE ZOMBIES. AS ONE WOULD EXPECT, THE SURVIVORS ARE PITTED AGAINST THOSE NON-ZOMBIE CREATURES THAT NOW ROAM THE WORLD.

HALFWAY THROUGH THIS BOOK I WAS THINKING ABOUT DELETING
David
Oh dear. I didn't finish this. I got to the last 50 pages or so and I though "Zombies." "I am a little over the genre" That said I will still watch "The Walking Dead" for season 5 as I like the characters. With this book - they failed to get my interest especially when two of them have sex and are thinking erotic thoughts - I mean come on what is this some hollywood crap where two characters say "Hey let's have sex. I just killed my sister who I loved deeply and saw she ate my parents but hey I ...more
LOLAinSC
These are not stand alone books. Although they contain some new twists on the usual old fashioned Zombie Apocalypse stories, they dragged on too long for my taste and ended in cliff hangers. I can appreciate the author's talent and efforts, and that there will be many people who love these books. The story was original and the characters realistic and sympathetic, but it dragged on too long with too little closure for someone as impatient as I am.
Kerry
Enjoyable book but found myself getting a little bored with parts and switching off slightly, with that said I enjoyed the book, want to find out what happens to the characters and have already purchased part 2! Just hoping I enjoy part 2 more and don't get bored with it! I found some of the characters boring and unlikeable, not unlikeable in the love to hate sense but more in the, useless time waster, just hurry up and die character.
Karolina
I gotta say, this is probably the best zombie book I've read. it was perfect, down to last gruesome detail. seriously, if you've got a weak stomach, don't read this book. this book was definitely gross, and sick, and twisted.... but scary? personally I thought it was a bit lacking. except the beginning, with the bugs and the first victim and creepy ruins.... anyway! great book
Jett Cat
I actually read this a while ago, and ran accross it on amazon didn't recognize it dowloaded it and at once remembered that it was a book I wanted to read the rest of the series. It is action packed and smartly written. is that the right way to describe it? hm... the characters are rugged and effective, but also intellectual. I love a thinking persons apocalypse!
JenniferJ
This was a really tough book for me to get into and I really don't know that I ever did. It did indeed have zombies in it which I love but they were just kinda weird and the insect factor was just ewwww. I just don't think this was my kind of zombie story. Now if it was made into a movie I bet I would LOVE it but just had a hard time reading it.
Karl
Another zombie apocalypse, but with some interesting twists.
Decent characters, and I'm willing to care about what happens to them.
Being the first book in a series, the end is more like the end of a chapter, but I'm reasonably interested in reading the next book.
Elizabeth Johnson
Not sure on this one. I bought the the series, books 1-4. Not too crazy about the writing style but stayed with book 1 to the end out of stubbornness. I'll go on to another book and then try book 2. I really don't want to give up on this; I like the story too much.
Carol Costley
I am currently reading this book. I am having issues early on with it because it feels like the level of writing is far below what I had expected. As it sits I give it one star. I will update this when I have actually reached the end of the book.
Cliff Townsend
A lot of build up in the book. Character introduction and events and found the information was slow to come but liked it enough to keep going. It is interesting.
Leslie Wiederspan
Not bad. A little weird. They are zombies, but also not zombies. It is interesting enough that I will continue the series though. Im curious to see how it all ends.
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • The Gifted One
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Sunrise
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • Draechen's Mate (Chronicles of the Shifter Directive, #2)
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • Life Among the Dead
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious (Blood Soaked #1)
  • November (November, #1)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
Born on Cape Cod and raised in northern Connecticut, Robert Duperre is a writer whose main ambition is to create works that defy genre. His first novel, "The Fall: The Rift Book I" is now available in paperback and for the Amazon Kindle.

Robert lives with his wife, the artist Jessica Torrant, his three wonderful children, and Leonardo, the super one-eyed Labrador.
More about Robert J. Duperre...

The Rift (4 books)
  • Dead of Winter (The Rift #2)
  • Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3)
  • The Summer Son (The Rift #4)
Silas Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3) Dead of Winter (The Rift #2) The Summer Son (The Rift #4) The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales