Anastasia Krupnik

Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  8,436 ratings  ·  284 reviews
Anastasia's tenth year has some good things, like falling in love and really getting to know her grandmother, and some bad things, like finding out about an impending baby brother.
Published October 24th 1979 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published November 30th 1978)

Jenne
It's weird, I didn't really think of these books as that funny when I was a kid. Anastasia reminds me a lot of myself at that age, so I probably just thought it seemed normal.

But now! I was reading this at lunch and I had to stop because I kept laughing and my co-workers were staring at me.

For example:
"Anastasia had a small pink wart in the middle of her left thumb. She found her wart very pleasing. It had appeared quite by surprise, shortly after her tenth birthday, on a morning when nothing el...more
Jess
Rereading Anastasia is like revisiting a place that you didn't quite remember you'd been to, but as soon as you get there everything seems familiar. Mrs. Westvessel, Washburn Cummings, the lists, her mole, her changing relationship with her grandmother, her secret bad thoughts, her poetry outfit. It was all tucked away in some obscure part of my brain, waiting to be rediscovered. I reread the book a few years ago, for the first time since middle school, probably, and listening to it on audio bro...more
Carol
My 7-year-old just read this, so I had to pick it up and and reread parts. It is even MORE awesome than I remembered. How I wish I were as cool a parent as Anastasia's parents.

Also, it inspired my daughter to write poetry. Terrible poetry, but still.
Cheryl in CC NV
I'm usually sensitive to vulgarity and did not even blink at the word 'shit' - every child who has been out in public has heard it already. And the person who said it in front of Anastasia did apologize for being inappropriate.

I did blink at the 'bad name' Anastasia had first chosen for the baby, though. I wouldn't have known what it meant when I was 10, and, even though I have terrific parents, I wouldn't have been comfortable asking them.

I've read one or two of the sequels, but this is my fir...more
Rahmadiyanti
Waktu kecil pernah sebal dengan nama sendiri? Sebal dengan guru yang menurut kita nggak adil? Dengan nenek? Dengan ortu karena kita mau dikasi adik baru? Senang dengan seorang cowok, kemudian balik benci? Saya pernah. Anastasia Krupnik juga pernah, si gadis cilik berusia 10 tahun, tokoh utama novel menarik ini.

Baca nih novel seakan nostalgia masa kecil saya dulu. Yang pernah sebal dengan nama, kenapa nggak sebagus dan sepanjang nama teman-teman lain, sebal dengan guru yang nggak adil memberi nil...more
Haryadi 'Fathin | Omnduut' Yansyah
Membaca buku ini bikin aku senyam senyum, ketawa ngikik, sedih (ketika nenek Anastasia meninggal) dan mengingatkanku akan masa kecil. Terutama kebiasaan Anastasia yang suka mencatat hal-hal yang disukainya ataupun hal-hal yang dibencinya. Dulu, waktu kecil (sayangnya aku lupa usia berapa, apakah seusia Anastasia yang 10 tahun) aku juga punya buku yang berisi catatan yang hampir sama dengan Anastasia. Dulu, aku juga mencatat barang-barang yang ingin dibeli, dan sifat-sifat jelek yang ingin aku bu...more
Beth Bonini
My oldest daughter adored the Anastasia series when she was in late elementary school, but strangely enough, I've just read the first novel in its entirety. I love the character of Anastasia: she is wholly original, an independent thinker, but also a girl who realistically captures the emotionally "mercurial" state of being 10 years old. So many fictional girls of this age are precocious in the bratty, smart-aleck sense of the word, but Anastasia is pert in a more loveable and unique way.

Lowry...more
Sara
The positive: Anastasia Krupnik was and is one of my favorite female leads of all time. She's smart and funny, but not unrealistic for her age. She has a great family and most of the time she's aware of that fact. When I first read these books, I was ten, and was at the perfect age to connect with Anastasia and her feelings and small misadventures. Now, as a semi-adult, I read this series and see how great her parents were, and how strong their family bonds were, and I get many more of the paren...more
Roxanne
Anastasia Krupnik is stupidly charming and these books are charmingly written. I loved them when I was a kid and went through a phase this summer where I reread the ones I had loved and a few I had missed growing up.

This first one, in particular, is really fantastic. The later ones are hit and miss, but never bad. I don't know if it is that Anastasia's family is so realistic or if her family is just similar in ways to mine was when I was a young girl, but there is something so homey and comfort...more
Erin
Jul 27, 2009 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The Anastasia Krupnik series was 29th on the American Library Association's "The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2000"[1:] for reasons such as references to beer, Playboy Magazine, and a casual reference to a character wanting to kill herself. The series was also criticized because one novel of the series featured Anastasia replying to a personal ad and lying about her age and her life to an older man; however, the two never have any romantic experiences and when they meet, the man...more
Amanda Valentine
Although aspects of Anastasia Krupnik are dated (Anastasia gets a record player for Christmas, she takes a sip from her dad’s beer which couldn’t be casually included in a book these days), I found it absolutely charming overall. I could identify both with Anastasia and with her parents—many of the conversations they had are variations on conversations I’ve had with my own kids, and some of Anastasia’s experiences resonate with my childhood memories.

For a full review, see http://reads4tweens.com...more
HeavyReader
This book has a copyright date of 1979, and it 's the first in a series, but I had never heard of it until I picked it up at my library today. How did I miss these books when I was an avid reader kid? Strange!

In this book, Anastasia is 10 years old. She is smart and feisty and clever, spunky and a bit sassy, but not a pain in the neck like that Junie B. girl. I like Anastasia, I wish she had been my friend when I was ten.

I have a bunch of the other books in the series, just waiting for me to rea...more
Heather
I think I read this book as a kid—I certainly owned a copy of one of the later books in the series, and pieces of this one felt familiar—but it wasn't one of my favorites, and I'm not sure why. Anastasia Krupnik is ten, and hilarious. She's an only child, living with her English-professor/poet dad and her mom, who's a painter, but that's about to change: she's not at all pleased to learn that she's going to have a baby brother. She has a notebook in which she keeps many lists, including a list o...more
Sara Jane
I read this for my book club where we reread books we read when we were younger, but this was the first time I'd ever read it. I wish I'd read it when I was 10 because of great lines like this: "I need to start worrying about making myself some memories" or this: "These are the most important things that happened the year that I was ten: I began to have a mercurial temperament." Or all of her wart references. This is such a smart, insightful book for kids, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, too.
Swankivy
I loved the Anastasia books as a young girl and really appreciated Ms. Lowry's distinct writing style. Everyone's a bit too clever with their dialogue sometimes, but I related to Anastasia as a slightly bookish but similarly naïve girl who wants to be a writer.

In this one I really related to Anastasia's tendency to keep lists and how she wrote things down in order to organize her thoughts and feelings. It was really fun getting to know her in this first book.
Maryellen
When I was around this age, I wanted to be Anastasia so much! She was cool. She wore glasses like me. She didn't understand boys, just like me. As the series continued, I loved how quirky and interesting she was. My favorite was Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst, in which she got a bust of Sigmund Freud and used him as an actual therapist. Completely genious. As someone who was often misunderstood, I could relate to Anastasia on a completely different level!
Tricia Douglas
This was the first book in the Anastasia series that was read for the Goodreads children's fiction book club. I don't know why I hadn't read it before. Lowry's ability to describe in depth the life of a ten year old child made the story perfect. Anastasia is very bright for her age, making lists and actually keeping them up-to-date. Her vocabulary is better than some adults and she definitely has a mind of her own. My favorite part was when she had worked very hard on a poem for a class assignme...more
Jasmine
Just reread this. Such a delightful book, and even though it's copyrighted 1979, it barely feels dated. The only things that do feel dated is that there are things in it that would not fly in childrens books today (like Anastasia's parents letting her have a sip of their wine or beer, or the wonderful name that she comes up with for her unborn brother, which I will not spoil because I forgot it and it made me laugh out loud when I got there).
Amanda Jacobs
This is one of my all-time favorite books. Not only is the character of Anastasia very funny, she is smart and she learns from her mistakes. My favorite part of this book is when she attends poetry class with her father and she dresses up like a beatnik with a black turtleneck and beret. She is always making lists about her likes and dislikes, and she always changes her mind! It's a cute book, I highly recommend it.
Colin
Um, a precocious girl who writes in a notebook all the time, likes lists and poetry, and uses words like jocund and indefatigable after looking them up in the dictionary, keeping a list of her favorite words in said notebook? No wonder I loved this as a child. Also, the parents cuss and are blase about it. I'm sure that delighted me as well.
Rebecca
I am 30 years old and I read this book when I was in first grade but I still vividly remember it so it can't have been as awful as I thought it was back then.

Maybe I was just already reading at higher level but I remember thinking Anastasia wasn't very smart or a very good writer. I wasn't sure if the book she was supposedly writing was supposed to be silly or she was just that terrible.

I almost gave up on the book altogether when she wanted to join a group of popular girls who said she could o...more
Jane
Review to follow..

Finally the review. I loved this book. Anastasia is a real girl who acts and speaks and real girls do. The interaction between Anastasia and her parents is realistic too. THe book is about Anastasia Krupnik a 10 year old girl. Anastasia's life is about to change forever, when her parents announce they are going to be having a baby boy. Anastasia reacts as most 10 year olds would. She freaks out and threatens to move out. But being that it is so close to Christmas, she hangs ar...more
Gaylene
I was so excited to see this 1980's cover!! They've re-released it with a newer cover, but this is the one I had when I was in elementary school. Anistasia Krupnik was the reason I became a list-a-holic. I envied her lists, and I began to make lists of my own in my journal. She changed my life :)
Amanda
Loved the Anastasia books as a kid, surprised at how dated they are now. Her parents are hippies, Anastasia has an attitude problem, and while they're quick reads (although they were quick reads as a kid, too), I'm finding myself really annoyed with her by the end.
Stephanie
When I was in middle school, I devoured ALL the Anastasia books - and no wonder. I pretty much WAS Anastasia Krupnik at that age! ;) These books are funny and perfect for smart, creative girls who don't fit in with the norm (and wish that life was more like books).
Kat
I LOVED this book as a kid - to the point that I even named my goldfish Frank so that I could be more like Anastasia - and I think it held up to an adult re-read.

I wonder if this book contributed to my love of making lists.
Re-read after seeing it for sale on Kindle. Still just as good as when I was 11. Remember "One-Ball Reilly" ? How did Lois Lowry get away with THAT?
Julie Sondra Decker
Anastasia wants to be a writer when she grows up. She's preparing for this life by documenting everything, becoming an expert list maker, and gathering experiences through her unique perspective. Her parents are going to have a baby pretty soon, and she's determined to give the baby the best (or worst) name ever. That'll show them. Anastasia's family dynamics, career aspirations, and interactions with older folks are a ton of fun, especially if you also happen to be a preteen girl who thinks too...more
Daisy
If I'd met Anastasia when I was a little girl, she'd be my heroine.
This is just charming.
Lindsey
Holy crap, this is the first book in a 9 book series? Not sure if I want to continue on since I wasn't as invested in the book as I would have been as a child. I wish I would have read these books as a middle grader. This was an enjoyable, quick read for me. I usually really enjoy books where the main character shares his/her thoughts in his/her own unique way in a journal/diary/whatever. I liked Anastasia's system of using a notebook for her 10th year and having different lists like "most impor...more
Children's Books: Anastasia Krupnik - Fiction Selection February 2014 15 31 Mar 02, 2014 12:56PM
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • The Pinballs
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • "B" Is for Betsy
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always...more
More about Lois Lowry...
The Giver (The Giver #1) Number the Stars Gathering Blue (The Giver #2) Messenger (The Giver #3) Son (The Giver #4)

“Memory is the happiness of being alone.” 395 likes