Start by marking “Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)” as Want to Read:
Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)

Danny and the Dinosaur (Danny and the Dinosaur #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  24,721 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
Danny loves dinosaurs. When he sees one at the museum and says, "It would be nice to play with a dinosaur," a voice answers, "And I think it would be nice to play with you." So begins Danny's and the dinosaur's wonderful adventure together!

This edition contains altered illustrations, but not the later recolored ones.
Published 1978 by Harper Trophy (first published 1958)

Ronyell
Danny

"Danny and the Dinosaur" is a New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year Award by Syd Hoff and it is about how a young boy named Danny starts playing with a friendly dinosaur who has come to life when in a museum that Danny goes to. "Danny and the Dinosaur" is a true masterpiece for many children who love books about dinosaurs!

Syd Hoff has done an outstanding job at both illustrating and writing this book. Syd Hoff's illustrations are both creative and cute at the same time as the dinosaur that
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
It's easy to see why this book has put smiles on children's faces for over fifty years. I know my six-year-old self would have LOVED it if a dinosaur befriended me at the museum, gave me a ride around town, and played hide-and-seek with me and my friends! I think there are such cute touches in the book with the text and especially the illustrations, like when the dinosaur makes a bridge for the people to cross the street, or when he sees the "giant rocks" (buildings) and thinks of climbing them. ...more
Brad
I imagine this was a charming book when it was released in the late fifties. I suppose I can see the appeal. It's a simple book for kids who are learning to read. It has a goofy looking dinosaur. It has a polite little kid. And they have fun little adventures in some nondescript American city.

But it's not the fifties anymore, and I am a jaded bastard who likes his kids books on the salty (or maybe just interesting) side. So the sweet dino and the sweet boy are like the syrupy skein of goo at the
Lisa Vegan
Jun 27, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early readers; kids who like dinosaurs and fanciful stories
This book came out when I was 4 or 5 and I’ll bet I read it when I was young, but I don’t remember it. I hope that I read it when I was 5 or 6 or 7; I would have absolutely loved it.

It’s a very cute story, very 1958, but I think today’s young readers will enjoy it too. The text is good for early readers, and younger children will enjoy having this read to them.

Most kids like dinosaurs and the dinosaur here is adorable. He’s endearing, friendly, helpful, and he uses correct grammar too. He’s funn
Crystal Marcos
Jul 19, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
My husband brought Danny and the Dinosaur home from the library today. He immediately sat down and my daughter climbed in his lap. I listened as he read and looked at the pictures over his shoulder. I believe I have read this before long ago. My daughter sat for about half the book and stood to look at the pictures for most of the rest. I enjoyed listening in and my husband said “It’s cute.” I liked the bright pictures. I liked the fun that Danny and the children have with the dinosaur. Especial ...more
Josiah
Jun 17, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A visit to the museum turns into the craziest, most wonderful day of Danny's life when a little unexplained magic brings him a thrillingly unique playmate. The standard museum pieces are interesting—antique weapons, decorative vases, knight's armor, life-size figures of animals and people—but the dinosaur section is what captures Danny's fancy. He's a dino fanatic, and the only thing better than touring the museum's dinosaur hall would be if one of the behemoths came to life and could play with ...more
Sarah Sammis
Aug 16, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
My husband had a copy of Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff as a child. His parents still have his old collection of picture books by the bedroom the grandkids use when visiting. On our last night of a recent visit, I read the book to Sean and Harriet. What I didn't realize, was that it's one of my son's favorite "I Can Read Books."

Danny goes to the library and sees a dinosaur on display. It makes him wish that he could have a pet dinosaur. The dinosaur comes alive and offers to spend the day wi
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 26, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Danny visits the museum and when he gets to the dinosaur display a real dinosaur pops out and asks Danny to play with him. So off they go through the town having lots of fun ending up playing hide 'n' seek with the neighbourhood children but as sunset comes along everyone must go home including the dinosaur who must get back to the museum. This is one of the original "I Can Read" books that has stood the test of time. What little boy doesn't go through the dinosaur stage? This silly story is a l ...more
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood favorite. Who doesn't want a dinosaur friend?
Diz
Feb 06, 2017 Diz rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This was a bit too saccharine for me.
Jeremy
Jun 06, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Kid has a dinosaur. How friggin' great is that?

I like that when Danny gets the dinosaur, he chooses to ride it around town, much like you might if you'd just acquired, say, a new moped. Sure, you could alert the media and become a overnight sensation and a historical footnote, or somehow contain the dinosaur and make a handsome living charging admission. You could even assume that you've lost all control of your mental faculties, and flee gibbering into the woods, subsisting on checkerberry and
Tami
Nov 20, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
Title: Danny the Dinosaur Written and Illustrated by: Syd Hoff
Genre: Fantasy Age Level: P; I Date: 2003.
Danny goes to a museum one day to meet a dinosaur. This dinosaur is really nice and wants to be Danny’s friend. The dinosaur takes Danny for a ride on his back. The dinosaur is so tall, he hits the telephone wires. The dinosaur helps people cross the street. Everyone likes him. When they went to the zoo the dinosaur was asked to leave because he was taking the attention away from the animals.
Julia Brumfield
Jul 01, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my favorite childhood books for who wouldn't love the fact of checking out a museum and then getting to spend a whole day playing with a very friendly dinosaur. And as if that isn't a whole sundae in itself the dinosaur can actually talk back to you while is very willing to be of service to people who would just gape or deface it in the museum anyway.

The book is an introduction to reading so there aren't that many hard words that children will struggle to get over alt
Henry Jacobs
Mar 20, 2015 Henry Jacobs rated it did not like it
I hate this book! You spend the entire book waiting for the story to start. Danny goes to the Museum. He meets a Dinosaur. They walk outside. The Dinosaur helps some people cross the street. Then they go to the zoo. People stare at Danny and the dinosaur. Every stupid page is a different location, with a 5-10 word sentence written in 40pt font. It's like watching a Cheech-and-Chong movie where the studio decided to recast Cheech Marin with Al Gore! This book is just a listing of events, and they ...more
Vince Mussehl
Jul 08, 2013 Vince Mussehl rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like dinosaurs!? I read this to my 8 week old daughter and she loved it... Well, she didn't hate it anyway ;) I vaguely remember reading this in elementary school and I would recommend every child reads it at least once. Any young child can relate to the activities in the story line and the dialogue is quite easy to follow (don't forget to add your own exclamation points!). There really isn't any diversity in the story, which is typical for many stories written in the 1950s. Furtherm ...more
Jenilyn Willis
This book was kind of a mix between a picture book and a transitional book. It had a good mix of words and pictures, but probably too long and too many words to just be considered a picture book; at the same time, it was a way easier read than something like Junie B. Jones so it probably wasn't fully transitional either. As far as the plot goes though, I enjoyed it. It's another one of those books that takes your mind away to another place and really gets your imagination going. And when I was a ...more
Matthew S. Zielinski
Sep 26, 2014 Matthew S. Zielinski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-boys
I loved this book as a kid and was pleased to find it at a rummage sale recently. I had to buy this for my 4 year old song. I love reading it to him. I love how much he enjoys the magic of the book. He makes me read it to him as if the dinosaur is female, which is interesting to figure out what in his head determined that the male dinosaur in the book was actually a female in his head. What a magical and fun book.
Lori
Nov 02, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-books
One day Danny goes to the museum. He likes the dinosaurs best and wishes that he could have one of his own. And in all good books, Danny gets his wish and gets to spend a day with a dinosaur. They play games and eat together. But at the end of the day the dinosaur needs to go back where he is needed and Danny is left to go home, but knowing that he doesn't have room for a dinosaur.
Great for early readers who are ready for short sentences and short chapters.
Skylar Burris
Oct 30, 2013 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pretty much any book my reluctant reader can read aloud and wants to read aloud gets an automatic four stars from me. It doesn't hold up as well to repeat readings as, say, Frog and Toad, but it's still tolerable. It's a cute story of friendship, and one I recall fondly from my own childhood. Do they any longer make quality children's books that are easy for a first or second grader to read? Every one I've found that fits both criteria was written prior to 1970.
Ann
Jul 16, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Danny spends the day with a dinosaur, doing all the fun sort of things he'd do with the rest of his friends (i.e. playing hide and seek, etc).

This is a cute, comical, story with a sweet ending, but there really isn't *that* much to the plot. I'd probably give this three stars, except that I remember enjoying it when I was little and for whatever reason (the story, the illustrations, or both) it made an impression on me. So, for that I gave it an extra star.
Miloš & Brontë
Papa: So...

Miloš: I really liked that they had fun together, and not did not have fun.

Papa: Okay, what else?

Miloš: Actually, that was it. Okay, Pa.

Papa: Okay. (But I would like to mention that this book is 64 pages long and contains the first page Miloš has ever read without pictures. The boy is a reading fiend).

Marie
Jun 09, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
Danny visits the museum where he discovers his favorite creature of all, dinosaurs. To Danny’s surprise, one of the dinosaurs comes to life. Follow Danny and the dinosaur as they spend the day together exploring the city, eating ice cream and playing hide and seek with Danny’s friends.

I like this simple and charming tale because it really plays towards a child's imagination.
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 Cassi Dick rated it really liked it
This book shows the friendship of a boy and his dinosaur. It shows all the different things dinosaurs could do with humans if they were around today, that is if they were tamed. This book could also be used in the first grade class, and is easy enough for students who struggle with reading as well as student who don't.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
For pre-k children, this is a good book. Young boys love to dinosaurs and this book is great for young dinosaur lovers. The children will enjoy the Danny’s clowning around on his adventure. I would use this book in my pre-k classroom for dinosaur lovers.

Summer
Jan 11, 2013 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-fancy
I liked this story that Mike had read as a child. It is a fun adventure for a boy wanting to play with a dinosaur. I told Mike that I know why he likes this book - it has ice cream, rowing and baseball in it! He hadn't read it in several years so had forgotten about those elements of the book.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
what kid wouldn't love a story about a kid who gets to hang with a talking dino? Okay, the Possum didn't care for it, but the PandaBat did. Syd Hoff loved playing baseball, it turns out, which explains why baseball is featured in all his books that I have.

April Scheivelhud
Feb 01, 2010 April Scheivelhud rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story for any child that loves dinosaurs. Danny finds a dinosaur in a museum that comes alive. He goes on all kinds of adventures with his new playmate. In the end then dinosaur has to go home. Danny is okay with that since his new friend is too big to stay in his house.
Kim
Apr 12, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorites that I would read to my own children. I love this book, and the wonderful drawings that show Danny doing things with a dinosaur who befriends him at the museum. I could read this book with my kids, and never get tired of it. A must have for any classroom.
Ike
Oct 16, 2016 Ike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to reread this one a few times. Not sure if I like it or not. And it's kind of sad that they have to part ways at the end.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I forgot all about this one. I remember reading it when I was little. It's a real classic!
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (I Can Read Level 1)
  • The Fire Cat
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Father Bear Comes Home (I Can Read Level 1)
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • In a People House
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant (A Little Golden Book)
Whether you’re seven or seventy, the chances are you’ve probably come in contact with one of his many books (150 plus), or cartoons that have appeared in over 200 magazines in the course of his lifetime, including Laugh it Off which was syndicated for 20 years. His comic strip Tuffy, about a little girl who did funny things, was declared essential for national morale during WWII by William Randolp ...more
More about Syd Hoff...

Danny and the Dinosaur (3 books)
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Danny and the Dinosaur Go to Camp