Start by marking “Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)” as Want to Read:
Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)

Danny and the Dinosaur (Danny and the Dinosaur #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  23,649 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Danny loves dinosaurs. When he sees one at the museun and says, "It would be nice to play with a dinosaur," a voice answers, "And I think it would be nice to play with you." So begins Dannys and the dinosaur's wonderful adventure together!

But a dinosaur is no ordinary playmate. Even the most everyday activities become extraordinary, like finding a big-enough place to hide
Published September 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1958)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
235th out of 3,705 books — 5,372 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime
214th out of 1,609 books — 1,712 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Danny

"Danny and the Dinosaur" is a New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year Award by Syd Hoff and it is about how a young boy named Danny starts playing with a friendly dinosaur who has come to life when in a museum that Danny goes to. "Danny and the Dinosaur" is a true masterpiece for many children who love books about dinosaurs!

Syd Hoff has done an outstanding job at both illustrating and writing this book. Syd Hoff's illustrations are both creative and cute at the same time as the dinosaur that
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
It's easy to see why this book has put smiles on children's faces for over fifty years. I know my six-year-old self would have LOVED it if a dinosaur befriended me at the museum, gave me a ride around town, and played hide-and-seek with me and my friends! I think there are such cute touches in the book with the text and especially the illustrations, like when the dinosaur makes a bridge for the people to cross the street, or when he sees the "giant rocks" (buildings) and thinks of climbing them. ...more
Brad
I imagine this was a charming book when it was released in the late fifties. I suppose I can see the appeal. It's a simple book for kids who are learning to read. It has a goofy looking dinosaur. It has a polite little kid. And they have fun little adventures in some nondescript American city.

But it's not the fifties anymore, and I am a jaded bastard who likes his kids books on the salty (or maybe just interesting) side. So the sweet dino and the sweet boy are like the syrupy skein of goo at the
Lisa Vegan
Jul 02, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early readers; kids who like dinosaurs and fanciful stories
This book came out when I was 4 or 5 and I’ll bet I read it when I was young, but I don’t remember it. I hope that I read it when I was 5 or 6 or 7; I would have absolutely loved it.

It’s a very cute story, very 1958, but I think today’s young readers will enjoy it too. The text is good for early readers, and younger children will enjoy having this read to them.

Most kids like dinosaurs and the dinosaur here is adorable. He’s endearing, friendly, helpful, and he uses correct grammar too. He’s funn
Crystal Marcos
Jul 19, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
My husband brought Danny and the Dinosaur home from the library today. He immediately sat down and my daughter climbed in his lap. I listened as he read and looked at the pictures over his shoulder. I believe I have read this before long ago. My daughter sat for about half the book and stood to look at the pictures for most of the rest. I enjoyed listening in and my husband said “It’s cute.” I liked the bright pictures. I liked the fun that Danny and the children have with the dinosaur. Especial ...more
Josiah
Jun 20, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A visit to the museum turns into the craziest, most wonderful day of Danny's life when a little unexplained magic brings him a thrillingly unique playmate. The standard museum pieces are interesting—antique weapons, decorative vases, knight's armor, life-size figures of animals and people—but the dinosaur section is what captures Danny's fancy. He's a dino fanatic, and the only thing better than touring the museum's dinosaur hall would be if one of the behemoths came to life and could play with ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 26, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Danny visits the museum and when he gets to the dinosaur display a real dinosaur pops out and asks Danny to play with him. So off they go through the town having lots of fun ending up playing hide 'n' seek with the neighbourhood children but as sunset comes along everyone must go home including the dinosaur who must get back to the museum. This is one of the original "I Can Read" books that has stood the test of time. What little boy doesn't go through the dinosaur stage? This silly story is a l ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 10, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
My husband had a copy of Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff as a child. His parents still have his old collection of picture books by the bedroom the grandkids use when visiting. On our last night of a recent visit, I read the book to Sean and Harriet. What I didn't realize, was that it's one of my son's favorite "I Can Read Books."

Danny goes to the library and sees a dinosaur on display. It makes him wish that he could have a pet dinosaur. The dinosaur comes alive and offers to spend the day wi
Julia Brumfield
Jul 01, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my favorite childhood books for who wouldn't love the fact of checking out a museum and then getting to spend a whole day playing with a very friendly dinosaur. And as if that isn't a whole sundae in itself the dinosaur can actually talk back to you while is very willing to be of service to people who would just gape or deface it in the museum anyway.

The book is an introduction to reading so there aren't that many hard words that children will struggle to get over alt
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood favorite. Who doesn't want a dinosaur friend?
Jeremy
Nov 06, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Kid has a dinosaur. How friggin' great is that?

I like that when Danny gets the dinosaur, he chooses to ride it around town, much like you might if you'd just acquired, say, a new moped. Sure, you could alert the media and become a overnight sensation and a historical footnote, or somehow contain the dinosaur and make a handsome living charging admission. You could even assume that you've lost all control of your mental faculties, and flee gibbering into the woods, subsisting on checkerberry and
Tami
Nov 20, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
Title: Danny the Dinosaur Written and Illustrated by: Syd Hoff
Genre: Fantasy Age Level: P; I Date: 2003.
Danny goes to a museum one day to meet a dinosaur. This dinosaur is really nice and wants to be Danny’s friend. The dinosaur takes Danny for a ride on his back. The dinosaur is so tall, he hits the telephone wires. The dinosaur helps people cross the street. Everyone likes him. When they went to the zoo the dinosaur was asked to leave because he was taking the attention away from the animals.
Kim
Apr 12, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorites that I would read to my own children. I love this book, and the wonderful drawings that show Danny doing things with a dinosaur who befriends him at the museum. I could read this book with my kids, and never get tired of it. A must have for any classroom.
Henry Jacobs
Mar 20, 2015 Henry Jacobs rated it did not like it
I hate this book! You spend the entire book waiting for the story to start. Danny goes to the Museum. He meets a Dinosaur. They walk outside. The Dinosaur helps some people cross the street. Then they go to the zoo. People stare at Danny and the dinosaur. Every stupid page is a different location, with a 5-10 word sentence written in 40pt font. It's like watching a Cheech-and-Chong movie where the studio decided to recast Cheech Marin with Al Gore! This book is just a listing of events, and they ...more
Dolly
Dec 01, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
I know I've read this book numerous times, but for some reason, I'd never logged it. I remember this story from my own childhood and the story is quite memorable. The narrative is simple and good for beginning readers, while the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. It's a fantastic story and has stood the test of time.

This story was selected as one of the books for the July 2010 - Dinosaur reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Vince Mussehl
Jul 08, 2013 Vince Mussehl rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like dinosaurs!? I read this to my 8 week old daughter and she loved it... Well, she didn't hate it anyway ;) I vaguely remember reading this in elementary school and I would recommend every child reads it at least once. Any young child can relate to the activities in the story line and the dialogue is quite easy to follow (don't forget to add your own exclamation points!). There really isn't any diversity in the story, which is typical for many stories written in the 1950s. Furtherm ...more
Jenilyn Willis
This book was kind of a mix between a picture book and a transitional book. It had a good mix of words and pictures, but probably too long and too many words to just be considered a picture book; at the same time, it was a way easier read than something like Junie B. Jones so it probably wasn't fully transitional either. As far as the plot goes though, I enjoyed it. It's another one of those books that takes your mind away to another place and really gets your imagination going. And when I was a ...more
Kristen-Marie Freeman
A Penélope y a mí nos encanta este libro. A mí me ha encantado desde niña. :)
Jen W
Easy reader, fiction; Grades K-3; Level 2.5, Lexile 200, F&P level J

Awards: None

Description: Danny goes out on the town for a day with a museum dinosaur having all the fun doing ordinary things that you can imagine would be so much more exciting if you could do them with a real life dinosaur!

Characteristics:
1. Easy readers should be told from the child's point of view, and here we view what life would be like if you had a dinosaur to play with from Danny's point of view.
2. This easy reader
Kiana Gerard
Oct 04, 2014 Kiana Gerard rated it liked it
What happens when a boy wishes for a dinosaur? One big adventure! Danny the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff is a wonderful book filled with imagination and adventure. A boy walks into a museum and discovers a dinosaur that comes to life. From swimming in a lake to watching a baseball game, the Danny and the Dinosaur have countless adventures in one day. Syd Hoff does a fabulous job making his words come to life with the bright colors of the illustrations and the simplicity of his words.

Hoff's small and fl
Lori
Nov 03, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-books
One day Danny goes to the museum. He likes the dinosaurs best and wishes that he could have one of his own. And in all good books, Danny gets his wish and gets to spend a day with a dinosaur. They play games and eat together. But at the end of the day the dinosaur needs to go back where he is needed and Danny is left to go home, but knowing that he doesn't have room for a dinosaur.
Great for early readers who are ready for short sentences and short chapters.
Skylar Burris
Oct 30, 2013 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pretty much any book my reluctant reader can read aloud and wants to read aloud gets an automatic four stars from me. It doesn't hold up as well to repeat readings as, say, Frog and Toad, but it's still tolerable. It's a cute story of friendship, and one I recall fondly from my own childhood. Do they any longer make quality children's books that are easy for a first or second grader to read? Every one I've found that fits both criteria was written prior to 1970.
Ann
Jul 17, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Danny spends the day with a dinosaur, doing all the fun sort of things he'd do with the rest of his friends (i.e. playing hide and seek, etc).

This is a cute, comical, story with a sweet ending, but there really isn't *that* much to the plot. I'd probably give this three stars, except that I remember enjoying it when I was little and for whatever reason (the story, the illustrations, or both) it made an impression on me. So, for that I gave it an extra star.
Matthew S. Zielinski
Apr 02, 2015 Matthew S. Zielinski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-boys
I loved this book as a kid and was pleased to find it at a rummage sale recently. I had to buy this for my 4 year old song. I love reading it to him. I love how much he enjoys the magic of the book. He makes me read it to him as if the dinosaur is female, which is interesting to figure out what in his head determined that the male dinosaur in the book was actually a female in his head. What a magical and fun book.
Dharia Scarab
Jul 21, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Marie
Jun 13, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
Danny visits the museum where he discovers his favorite creature of all, dinosaurs. To Danny’s surprise, one of the dinosaurs comes to life. Follow Danny and the dinosaur as they spend the day together exploring the city, eating ice cream and playing hide and seek with Danny’s friends.

I like this simple and charming tale because it really plays towards a child's imagination.
Miloš & Brontë
Papa: So...

Miloš: I really liked that they had fun together, and not did not have fun.

Papa: Okay, what else?

Miloš: Actually, that was it. Okay, Pa.

Papa: Okay. (But I would like to mention that this book is 64 pages long and contains the first page Miloš has ever read without pictures. The boy is a reading fiend).

Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 Cassi Dick rated it really liked it
This book shows the friendship of a boy and his dinosaur. It shows all the different things dinosaurs could do with humans if they were around today, that is if they were tamed. This book could also be used in the first grade class, and is easy enough for students who struggle with reading as well as student who don't.
Maureen Jehling
Dec 06, 2014 Maureen Jehling rated it it was ok
Danny and the Dinosaur, by Syd Hoff, is about a young boy who goes to a museum. When he sees the dinosaurs he goes ecstatic because of his love for them. Then, a dinosaur comes to life right before his own eyes...What do you think happens next? Go get the book for yourself and read it with your child to find out together!

This book is very basic in my eyes. It is an older book which justifies the quality of the text and illustrations. Also, there is no real valuable lesson to this I don't believe
Summer
Jan 11, 2013 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-fancy
I liked this story that Mike had read as a child. It is a fun adventure for a boy wanting to play with a dinosaur. I told Mike that I know why he likes this book - it has ice cream, rowing and baseball in it! He hadn't read it in several years so had forgotten about those elements of the book.
  • Morris Goes to School
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • The Fire Cat
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • In a People House
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
Whether you’re seven or seventy, the chances are you’ve probably come in contact with one of his many books (150 plus), or cartoons that have appeared in over 200 magazines in the course of his lifetime, including Laugh it Off which was syndicated for 20 years. His comic strip Tuffy, about a little girl who did funny things, was declared essential for national morale during WWII by William Randolp ...more
More about Syd Hoff...

Danny and the Dinosaur (3 books)
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Danny and the Dinosaur Go to Camp