Start by marking “The One and Only Shrek!” as Want to Read:
The One and Only Shrek!

The One and Only Shrek!

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  16 reviews
To mark the 100th birthday of William Steig and in anticipation of the next blockbuster movie Shrek the Third,Audio Renaissancepresents the must-havecollection of Steig classics featuring everyone's favorite ogre, read by Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci.
Audio CD, 32 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by Macmillan Young Listeners

To ask other readers questions about The One and Only Shrek!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One and Only Shrek!

1983 Newbery Honor Book (for Doctor De Soto)

This is a collection of some of Steig's most popular books.

This is the picture book that the movie was loosely based upon. Some of the characters are there like the donkey and the dragon and, of course, an ugly princess, but the movie definitely expanded upon the book in completely different ways.

The Amazing Bone
Pearl the pig finds a bone that talks and they go on an adventure together.

Brave Irene
Irene goes out into a snowstorm to deliver a dres
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @

Most people, if not everyone, knows the story of Shrek, thanks to the animated version that was widely successful. But the majority of people probably don't know that Shrek originated with William Steig. And what better way to learn the original story of Shrek than by listening to it on this unabridged recording.

THE ONE AND ONLY SHREK! is actually a compilation of six stories, the first and most famous being the one of Shrek. But have no fear; the ot
We listened to this on a road trip. There are more stories, but the Shrek one is definitely the best! And what could be better than Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci as your narrators?!? I love you Meryl, but Stanley totally wins! :)
Nov 16, 2014 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
This was such a favorite that I went back to it and back to it. I would often wonder why the princess' parents did not like Shrek. But, there were many funny parts that made my 4/5 year old sensibility laugh and laugh.
I didn't like any of these stories. I read them all to my son but it was a chore. I thought they were all boring and just unimaginative. The pictures are why I gave it an extra star, they were better than the text.
It's amazing the animators at Dream Works got a Blockbusting trilogy out of this short story which was written in 1990. I was glad to listen to more of Steig's work as well. Dr. DeSoto was written the year I was born (1982) and was about two little rodents (a dentist and his wife assistant) that outsmart a fox that tries to eat them after he fixes his rotten tooth. Brave Irene (1978?) was cute too- the Duchess must get her dress in time for the ball- but on her snowy trip to the castle the seams ...more
Slow Man
I don't know how to react to 'The Amazing Bone' and 'Spinky Sulks' but I like the other four stories.
I loved every story in this book except The Amazing Bone; given the world we live in, it was too creepy. It may have been a fun book in its day, but nowadays not so. When I saw Pearl locked in the room at fox's house too many creepy thoughts came to mind. Maybe I read the newspaper too often. I wouldn't read this to a child in the four to eight-year-old group.

All the other stories were great, some fanciful, some touching, all good. I particularly liked The one and only Shrek!, and Doctor De Soto
Feb 11, 2008 Clay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read the fabulous William Steig's SHREK!, Brave Irene, Dr. DeSoto, The Amazing Bone, Spinky Sulks, and Caleb and Kate. An hour of pure joy.
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read five stories by Steig.

The narrator make the otherwise slow and not too thrilling stories stand out.

Shrek stands out in terms of writing.
Anja Manning
This collection contains the following stories:

The Amazing Bone
Brave Irene
Spinky Sulks
Doctor DeSoto
Caleb & Kate

(See individual descriptions.)
Lynnea Taylor
I loved the first story in here about Shrek. The others were excellent but not near as fun as Shrek. Overall a wonderful book for reading to the kids.
Stephen Kennedy
I enjoyed it. 6 little short stories and hard to believe that the Shrek movie came from the first one. A nice little diversion.
Charlie Beck
Several short stories by William Steig including Shrek (much different than the movie), Dr. DeSoto and others.
Listened to on our trip to Ben and Lori's in Kansas City!
My kids didn't get into this story.
Haaley Lawley
Haaley Lawley marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Other stupid reader
Other stupid reader marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
M marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Bethany Hendricks
Bethany Hendricks marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Emily added it
Jul 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Legend of Jig Dragonslayer  (Jig the Goblin, #1-3)
  • Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth
  • Badjelly The Witch: A Fairy Story
  • The Mystery of Flight 54 (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #12)
  • The Amelia Jane Collection
  • Norbert (Norbert the Horse, #1)
  • Mad Amos
  • There's a Frog in My Throat!: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • Akimbo and the Lions
  • Werewolf versus Dragon (An Awfully Beastly Business, #1)
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • Limelight Larry
  • The Ratastrophe Catastrophe (The Illmoor Chronicles, #1)
  • The Stone Giant
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Doctor De Soto Shrek! Abel's Island Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)