Start by marking “In Contempt” as Want to Read:
In Contempt

In Contempt

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Offers a personal perspective on the O.J. Simpson trial and shares the author's observations on legal strategy, racial issues, and the principal lawyers, officials, and witnesses involved in the case.
Published March 19th 1996 by ReganBooks (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In Contempt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Contempt

Rae
Darden was one of the prosecutors (black, no less) in the O.J. Simpson trial and he gives overwhelming evidence, at least for me, that O.J. was guilty as sin.
Lois
From another prosecutor's viewpoint than the lead prosecutor, Marcia Clark, this book shows the trial from a black man's perspective. Chris Darden seems to be a shy person, but committed to justice. He writes with humor, candor, and appropriate sarcasm. I have less respect for Judge Ito and Johnny Cochrane than I did before reading this. I tried to keep an open mind, but I'm even more convinced that OJ is guilty, Lance Ito was star struck and inept, and Johnny Cochrane is heartless and selfish. ...more
John
This was a bargain bin pickup. A castoff at the Singapore American Club library sale ... a hardback for $3 Sing (about USD2.20). I head read OJ books .. Faye Resnick, Vincent Bugliosi, OJ's own "I Want to Tell You", Jeffrey Toobin plus Dominick Dunne articles in Vanity Fair. This space is saturated with knockoff books by lawyers, jurors, cops and peripheral players ... I figured I would read it in about 10 years when I needed to get nostalgic in my retirement. But .. this is a seriously good boo ...more
Patti
Jan 28, 2008 Patti is currently reading it
I learned that I am completely clueless about racism and prejudice.
Sherri
Watching the OJ trial back in the 1980's was quite an experience. I remember being ecstatic when the jury came out and announced "not guilty". I was adamant that a man that I had admired and loved so much could not have done something like that. When the verdict was read I was at work and we were all huddled around a small TV. There were only three of us who believed OJ, everyone else swore he was guilty. Of course I was working in Portland, ME which has a population that is about 97% white...th ...more
Aviva Diva
I got through the majority of the book and I'm pretty much convinced that OJ did it for the simple fact that statistically speaking a husband (ex or otherwise) is the most likely suspect when a wife is killed; Nicole Brown Simpson was rich and white too, so how many enemies could she have? At any rate, the book was interesting. I will say, however, Darden does a lot of finger pointing about the outcome of the case and it seems he's caught a little case of "sour grapes", and in hindsight he blame ...more
Charlotte
Is Christopher Darden a traitor?

The OJ Simpson trial is one of the first major news stories I remember as a child. We watched the verdict in my mostly white 5th grade classroom in the south. I can vividly remember hearing the verdict, then my teacher gasp and rush across the room to shut off the TV. I can remember thinking, why is she so upset that that man didn't do the crime?

This book provides the facinating social and political details that I didn't quite understand as a child. My curiostiy a
Hugh Henry
Dec 06, 2007 Hugh Henry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of court thrillers
Shelves: political
This autobiography of the prosecutor who pointed the finger of blame at O.J. Simpson is among the best books of its kind that I have read. Chris Darden was the black prosecutor whom millions of people saw break down in the press conference after the "not guilty" verdict of a brutal murderer. Darden's descriptions of his earlier life also shed a fascinating light on life in California for a black man who pursued justice with determination. His decision to prosecute police brutality cases served a ...more
Ellie Revert
Oct 20, 2008 Ellie Revert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all interested in justice
This is the last book I expect to read about the Simpson trial. Obviously we have been greatly affected by the loss of a dear friend---whose husband was a juror in the case 13 years ago. This summer, he killed his wife, and then committed suicide, and personally, it seems that he was very greatly affected by this disastrous trial.

This is a good book. Chris Darden paid a great price to be involved with this trial---as did many others---especially our friend, Judy, who paid the ultimate price.

Th
Ted Moisan
The Miscarriage of Justice of the Century was everybody's fault but Chris Darden's. Ito's, Cochran's, the Jury's, the Media's, yours, mine, and of course OJ's. I mean for god's sake look at the picture on the cover; he's pointing a finger at someone else. All kidding aside, Darden has several good arguments to make but I wish he would have taken a more introspective tone and taken some more responsibility, and not just for the obscenely ill-advised glove episode. If you've got the time it's inte ...more
Kim
Very good so far. I really fins him to be a likeable person. I must admit, I skimmed through the first third, which was his life story. but, that is only because it is checked out on my mom's library card here in NC, and I want to finish this week. His tales from his childhood were actually easy reading, and very entertaining.

I am still in pretrial stuff from the OJ case, but I am loving the strategy and lawyer scrambling behind the scenes, that we all missed. He is smart and sympathetic, and to
Telford Delmoe
Great book. Our justice system stands above all others compared to the rest of the world. There are significant flaws and we can take solace in the fact that even though every once in a while the system fails, when contained therein, are Attorneys who have no Honor, ultimately in the end OJ and his "Dream Team" will get the Justice coming to them. Everyone knows he did it and his dream team will pay for their injustice to Nicole and Ron.
chucklesthescot
I expected more from this book, I really did. I wanted to see what the prosecution's side of the story was as I already had a book written by the defence. Instead of a good, intriguing read about the evidence against OJ, this was more of a rant against everyone he didn't like on the case with numerous wavings of the racism card which got boring very fast for me. I barely even got to the court case before I was fed up being lectured to.
Carol Mckinley
I was never really "into" OJ's trial, for some reason. That's why I really liked this book. It takes you behind the scenes and explains the racism which went on as well as the logic behind decisions made by the prosecution which may have helped lose the case for them.
All in all, I really enjoyed reading the book from Chris Darden's point of view! He's not the screw-up people have made him out to be.
Renée
Simpson did it! He got away with double homicide! Shame on Judge Ito for being star struck and an inept judge. Mark Furhman should have spoke the truth. I watched nearly every minute of that trial and when the jury came back with its verdict, I was stunned and appalled!!! Marcia Clark nor Chris Darden stood a chance up against Johnny Cochran, the "dream team", and the shanannigans they pulled.
LaTonia
I appreciated this memoir. This was his version of events. It was compiled through his looking glass and contained his insight. I read this book because I wanted to know more about Christopher Darden and the OJ Simpson trial. It is a really interesting read! It affirms my opinion of the whole OJ Simpson trial. (I thought he was guilty. I understand he was not found guilty at trial).
Brian
Interesting take on the O.J. murder trial from prosecutor, Christopher Darden. Great inside info. from the case. You will be even more amazed that that O.J. didn't get convicted. He was SOOOOO guilty !! It starts off a little slow with the author giving you his personal bio but then it really picks up once he starts talking about the case.
Therese
It wasn't quite as interesting as Marcia's book, but in the end, it still amazes me that OJ got away with it. To see the evidence all laid out and see what an impact the judge had, the jury - it is still as unbelievable as the day the verdict was read.
Emily B
Very interesting account of the OJ Simpson trial. Not particularly well written and heavily pro-prosecution (not just in talking about this trial, but others), but otherwise a very gripping novel. I enjoyed it.
Cheryl
I find that Chris Darden and I think a lot alike. I found his recount of the trial and his personnal struggles interesting and because ofm reading this story I hold him in higher regard than ever before.
Ag_esq
Great account of the O.J. Simpson case. Although it's from the prosecutions perspective, it gives a vivid account of how race played a part throughout all aspects of the case.
Greg Spencer
I've always been curious what was going on "behind the scenes" of the OJ trial. I remember living it from the Court TV perspective and Mr. Darden filled in the blanks.
Shauna
I took Trial Advocacy from Christopher Darden in law school. An interesting man...very quiet and low key, surprisingly. This book is about the OJ Simpson trial.
Judity
For any of you who remember that trial, this is the book to read if you want to know the back story of that time.
Dolores Marconi
Revealing fast read about the American "Trial of the Century". You will lose all faith in the legal system.
Rheanna
a rarely told and sad story revolving around The OJ Simpson trial. Everyone should read this book!
Sera
Prosecuter's view of the OJ case. Darden took a beating in that case, and it was unwarrented.
G Ream
Too bad this guy couldn't get it done - not his fault but his name is on it.
Toesnorth's mom
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • Year of the Virgins
  • Prophet of Death: The Mormon Blood-Atonement Killings
  • Real Analysis
Christopher Allen Darden is an American lawyer, writer, lecturer and practicing attorney. He was a 15-year veteran of the Los Angeles County District Attorney, where he was assigned to the prosecution of O. J. Simpson. Darden gained fame during the O. J. Simpson murder case when he asked Simpson to try on the once-blood-soaked gloves.
More about Christopher Darden...
L.A. Justice Lawless The Last Defense The Trials of Nikki Hill Divorced from Justice: The Abuse of Women and Children by Divorce Lawyers and Judges