Start by marking “Treason” as Want to Read:
Treason

Treason

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Treachery in Love and War in the Struggle for the English Crown From the time he sees his parents brutally slain and his home destroyed in a bloody Lancastrian power struggle for the crown, young Martin Robsart's life becomes entwined with that of England's royal Plantagenet family. Through the turbulence of civil war, Martin serves his cousins -- Yorkist kings Edward IV a...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Bewrite Books

To ask other readers questions about Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treason

Misfit
A fascinating look at the life of Richard III and The War of The Roses. The book details the life of Edward IV and Richard III as told from the point of view of their fictional cousin, Martin Robsart, who joins Richard's family after his family is killed during conflicts between the Lancasters and The Yorks. While I don't normally care for stories told in the first person, it worked in this book as it placed the reader intimately in Richard's life, starting at age eight until the final decisive...more
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Gosh, I enjoyed this - well as much as I ever enjoy any Richard III book. And I've read a lot of them. The trouble is that I know how the story must end, and it's not good.
This author used a fictional "best friend" of Richard as the narrator, an device that worked very well I think. She also painted one of the most human and believable portraits of Richard right through his life that I've read. He wasn't prudish as some books make him, nor was he saintly. He was certainly not a sinister, plotti...more
Barb
I enjoy reading historical fiction set in this time period and have a particular affinity for fiction about Edward IV, Richard III and the princes in the tower. Their stories are fascinating, with secrets, lies, cover ups, sacrifices, romance, heartbreak and mystery, they have everything except a happy ending.

I've read quite a few novels set during The War of the Roses, so I'm reasonably familiar with the historical figures. Though sometimes my aging mind needs a little help remembering what it...more
Deb
I thoroughly enjoyed this book in which we see the life of Richard III and the tumultuous events of 1461 through 1485 through his (fictional) best friend's eyes. Ah, it would be nice to think that Richard really did have someone like the loyal Martin Robsart by his side.

The author, through Martin's often witty narration, does an excellent job at disentangling the complicated, confusing network of family relationships and political intrigues that characterize this period.

Unfortunately, as much as...more
Ann
I have been a devoted Ricardian since I read The Daughter Of Time many years ago and this is one of the best books about Richard III I have come across. It is narrated by Martin Robsart a fictional cousin and childhood friend of Richard. Starting when he was eight it gives great insight into Richard`s character and shows what a good king he was in his all too short reign. The characters of Richard's family and contemporaries are well drawn and the theory about the fate of the princes in the towe...more
Cheryl
I just love stuff about Richard III. Can't get enough of it. I think it's the whole mystery that surrounds him that I find so intriguing. I tend to be in the camp where I don't think he killed his nephews nor do I think he was the rotter that has been portrayed by William Shakespeare and believed as truth for centuries. But anyway -- I liked this a lot, I didn't love it. It is a little bit of a different spin on the Richard III tale which I liked quite a bit. But if you're a Richard III fan - th...more
Ikonopeiston
This book gave me, a Ricardian, much pleasure. It is a rollicking and constantly compelling story of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, though the eyes of a loyal companion. My only complaint is the occasional usage of Australian slang. It is a bit distracting to find such language in fifteenth century England.
Caz
Feb 07, 2013 Caz marked it as to-read
Kindle Freebie today - 07/02/13
Kim
I absolutely loved this book! Meredith Whitford brings to life a chaotic, violent time period, where the bonds of loyalty and love were a tangled web, and pulls out an outstanding interpretation of a man who has long been written off by history as a kinslaying hunchback.

(view spoiler)...more
Samantha
This book captivated my interest from the very beginning. When Whitford introduces the fictional Martin as Richard's best friend we are immediately thrown into the violence of the Wars of the Roses. Through Martin's eyes we watch Edward IV's stellar rise and gluttonous fall. Richard is portrayed as a somewhat average noble boy - with a little too much emphasis on the teenage sleeping around for my taste, but once you get past that part the story is brilliant and fascinating.

Whitford tells Richa...more
Casilda
I wasnt sure what to expect when I started reading this. Its been languishing on my tbr pile for about 18 months and I was waiting for the right time to read it. As a devoted Ricardian I know the history, the battles and the players and have read a lot of books on the subject. I wasnt disappointed - in fact I was quite blown away. The way MW writes the story, through the eyes of his faithful, loyal, lifelong friend, Martin Robsart who is a fictional character, is a brilliant way of telling the s...more
Morv
Treason is about a fictional character called Martin Robsart, who is cousin to Edward IV and Richard III; we first meet an older Martin writing down his life in Scotland, where he was now living after being branded a traitor by the new King Henry VII.
The story was interesting, although I have to admit it took a while to get going for me, it seemed rather dry, lacking in something at the start, though we met with Martin during a traumatic moment of his life, it felt a bit slow going.
In fact it d...more
Rosemary Prawdzik
I had been wanting to read this book for quite some time and was finally able to obtain it through inter-library interstate loan. I always find reading books with the same basic historical facts written by different authors from potentially different perspectives quite appealing. This is probably the 5th book I've read about Edward VI and Richard III - some have been biographies and some have been historical fiction. I found this book a little too much on the romantic-hero Ricardian image for my...more
Dan Eldredge
In studying history we learn about the events, but we rarely get into the heads of those who lived it. Their motivations and the zeitgeist is often lost in the fog of time. In "Treason," Meredith Whitford succeeds and providing plausible motivations for the characters, bringing this medieval world to life.

Only a certain type of reader will enjoy this book. That reader must love history and be willing to deal with a cast of dozens of characters (known by both names and titles), complex interrelat...more
Peter
I would like to give this book a higher score. It's take of Richard IIIs history is nice and I like the explanations for all the "disputed" parts of his story.

But throughout, this novel is too distant: The main character is a soldier but we barely ever see him fight - and if so, it's often "for the next few hours my reflexes took over". The whole story and its message are extremely political but over and over the main character claims not to be interested in politics and thus gives us no emotio...more
Ursula
This book was pretty readable but I knocked a star off because of the Mary Sue-ishness of Richard III. It's decent but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of novels about Wars of the Roses.
Sharon
3.5 stars. This historical fiction follows the lives of King Richard III and King Edward IV. This is during the time of the War of the Roses and the Yorks and Landcastrians. It is told through the voice of a fictitious character, Martin Rosbart. I didn't mind the story being told this way, but I found too much narrative and not enough dialog between the characters. That was when the story was at it's best, but still it was a good read. I enjoyed Philippa Gregory's series better, and will take ot...more
Pretty good, but I'm ruined for Richard III/Wars of the Roses historical fiction by The Sunne in Splendour, which is one of my all-time favorite books. This one is narrated by a fictional cousin/close friend of Richard III's. It tells the story pretty well, but there were some things about the writing (including some strangely modern phrases or words mixed in) that made it so I never felt all that invested. Entertaining enough, but not particularly memorable.
Charis
A great take on Richard III from an insider's perspective; similar to Sunne in Splendour in its sympathies, but far more of a story telling rather than history tome. At times far too casual, modern colloquials I doubt existed in the 15th century and perhaps too forgiving in character perfections. Nonetheless there is a distinct humanity about the story, something often missed in historical fiction. Overall, a light entertaining read to add to the War of the Roses library.
Hillary
I loved this book. I don't generally do historical fiction but I loved this one. It's really long but very interesting and fast paced for me. It surrounds the time of War of the Roses in England which wasn't something I was overly familiar with. I'm sure if you're a serious history buff you might not like some of the liberties taken with the book. I thought it had interesting characters, especially Richard III who had morphed into a horrible, deformed king under Shakespeare.
Mare
This book will take the reader into an amazing time in English history in a gracious and comfortable writing style. The story is rich in fact and shared in such a manner that no scorecard is required to follow the characters who made this period such an interesting time in England's story. I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in Richard III and those who shaped his life. It has set me on a journey into history that just continues to entertain and educate.
Tom
Very interesting and well-written book. This historical fiction account brought to life the otherwise mundane history of the English throne in part of the 15th century (Edward IV, Richard III, Henry VII). Having dabbled a bit in genealogy, where I encountered many of the familiar English royalty surnames in my ancestry, this book helped bring to life an otherwise clinical branch on the family tree.
This story of a balanced and level-headed Richard III and a heroic Edward IV, as seen through the eyes of an orphaned cousin raised in the York household, is not bad at all. But despite its interesting narrator and wealth of historic detail, this novel lacks the intimacy, the emotional intensity, complexity and texture of Sharon Penman's fabulous "Sunne in Splendour."
Taylor
I very much enjoyed this book, a telling of Richard III's life through the eyes of a fictional cousin. I found it to be well written and well researched. I especially loved the very end, in the author's note, where she wonders if his remains were thrown into the River Soar, as some accounts have suggested, or if he is buried under a car park in Leicester!
Jacqueline Baird
This tale of King Richard is one I can relate to and love. Very believable! In it he is a human, realistic person with feelings and emotions. It is well thought out and written and makes a very credible tale. Of course the ending is still catastrophic, but. . .
Mama Llama
This was an excellent read. It was well documented and true to history, interesting in its portrayal of the 15th century England, but very human, very readable and alive. This kind of fictionalized history really makes true history live for me.
Barbara
This is one of the more enjoyable books about Richard III that I have read. The narrator is Richard's fictional cousin, life-long companion, and a member of his inner circle so he is privy to "private" moments in Richard's life.
Billie
I kind of struggled through this...a lot of historical writing and not sure how accurate. The author did say she took some liberties. I did finish it but wasn't a book I couldn't wait to get back to
Joy Rockey
I really enjoyed this tale on Richard III. Narrated from a close friend of Richard (fictional) from childhood & through to his death but with a different superposition as to the fate of the Two Princes.
May
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected. This view of Richard III was certainly kinder, gentler than so many other protrayals. Meredith Whitford kept me reading! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Seventh Son
  • Royal Blood: Richard III and the Mystery of the Princes
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1)
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • I Am the Chosen King (The Saxon Series #2)
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The People's Queen
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • The Queen of Last Hopes: The Story of Margaret of Anjou
  • Richard the Third
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • The Lion Wakes (Kingdom Series, #1)
  • The Last Days of Richard III
Meredith Whitford lives in South Australia. She is a freelance editor and writer, and director of Between Us Manuscript Assessment Service. Meredith has a degree in History, Classics and English from the University of Adelaide. Her interests are reading, history, sleeping, watching too much Red Dwarf and listening to Queen and Mozart. She is married, with two children and three cats. When she isn’...more
More about Meredith Whitford...
Jessica Mitford: Churchill's Rebel Shakespeare's Will Shakespeare's Will