Among Thieves

Among Thieves (Scott Finn #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Bestselling author David Hosp returns with his most thrilling novel yet...

AMONG THIEVES

In 1990, $300 million worth of paintings were stolen from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in what remains one of the greatest unsolved art thefts of the twentieth century. Now, nearly twenty years later, the case threatens to break wide open. Members of Boston's criminal underg...more
Published (first published December 29th 2009)

Jeanette
A good solid three stars, maybe even 3 1/2.

The most interesting thing about this book was that Hosp built a fictional mystery around a real event---the biggest art theft in history. The theft took place at the Gardner Museum in Boston in 1990. The art works have never been recovered, and are estimated to be worth half a billion dollars! In this story, Hosp creates an entirely fictional scenario about the theft and its aftermath.

In a previous book, I really enjoyed the snappy dialogue among Finn...more
Cheryl "Mash"
Synopsis: Portion from the front jacket...In the early morning hours of March 18, 1990, two men dressed as police officers entered Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, tied up the guards, and escaped with 500 million dollars' worth of paintings. The heist provoked a massive search for both the thieves and the lost masterpieces. But the paintings never surfaced and the mystery remained unsolved. Now, almost twenty years later, there case threatens to break wide open.
My thoughts: Scott Finn...more
Mark Soone
My wife and I went on a mini-vacation up to lancaster, PA...Yes, that means because I love my wife I would be frequenting many clothing/decorating outlets for..Uuuuggghhhhhhh hours on end....Fortunately (I believe) she also loves me and endured a couple of hours of watching me rummage through new/used book stores...That is where I unearthed this gem! I would probably call this a 4.5 star if that option was available. I have never heard of Hosp, and was not aware that I was reading the 3rd book o...more
Shelley Fearn
How did I miss the news about the Gardner Museum heist in 1990? The book starts out with an introduction telling the reader that the paintings, valued at half a billion dollars are still missing and that the case was never solved. Then the book starts. About 5 pages in I was hooked.

Next the book introduced Whitey Bulger and I realized that he was the gangster discovered in California and extradited to Boston on racketeering charges in 2011 - a year after Hosp's book came out.

The theft is the bas...more
Christine
The Gardner Museum art theft is the largest unsolved art theft ever perpetrated. The thieves got away with priceless pieces of art and a few incidental tokens. The mixture of the items taken has baffled investigators since it occurred in 1990. There are many factual books written about this theft. This one is an excellent fictionalized version of the story. Mr. Hosp takes the facts of the case and weaves a plausible account which reads as a good story. Enough intrigue and bloodshed to keep actio...more
Deb Mjaatvedt
I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. This was a very slow start for me, despite having read the previous books in this series. I seriously considered giving up on it for a little bit; however, it really picked up a little less than halfway through and I ended up enjoying it a great deal.

This is fiction based on the real-life theft of millions of dollars worth of art from the Gardner Museum in Boston. Really interesting take on the theft. It took a while to get back into the swing of things with Finn, L...more
Terri
I fell in love with the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum. To go upstairs and find frames without their paintings hanging in the museum is rather haunting and intriguing. To attend one of the talks at the museum and find that no docent is willing to talk about the theft of these incredible pieces of art almost twenty years ago is puzzling. In fact, though the frames are empty they can not be moved according to the will of Isabella Stewart Gardner and so they hang in the museum "sad and out of plac...more
Bethany Zimp
This felt like a John Grisham novel with the detective lawyer solving crimes. I don't mind reading a legal thriller every couple of years. This also could be why I pictured the main-character-attorney as Matthew McConaughey. When I picked up this book I didn't realize there were previous ones (not a series) involving the same characters, so I felt like I was a little behind on the background of the legal team.

To summarize: the author builds a creative fictional novel around the Gardner museum t...more
Cheryl
20 years after the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum art theft, Defense Attorney Scott Finn (reformed youth hood) takes on a client for the burglary of a couture store and finds himself embroiled in several grizzly murders, the Gardner museum art theft, and a nutso terrorist who wants to re-ignite the IRA war. There's more to it than that but I'll skip the spoiler alert type commentary.

This was the first time I'd read one of David Hosp's books and I really wanted to give this 3.5 stars because I r...more
Kathleen Hagen
Among thieves, by David Hosp, A-minus, Narrated by George Guidall, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the fourth in the Scott Finn series. In this one, Scott Finn, now in practice as a criminal defense lawyer, gets a call from someone he knew from the old days of the Irish mafia. He goes to see this man in jail, not sure at all that he wants to take him on as a client. It turns out that he is one of four who helped engineer a heist at a Boston museum of invaluable ar...more
Gaby
Review:
I've been fascinated with the theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, so I was intrigued by the storyline of David Hosp's latest novel. Fortunately, Among Thieves did not disappoint!

Location is as much a character in the novel as the people; David Hosp captures the atmosphere of Boston well from Gardner Museum in the Fenway area to South Boston and the streets of Boston.

While attorney Scott Finn is a convincing and likable lead character, I was drawn in by Finn's colleagues Lissa Kr...more
Praesenti
I like how cleverly the author spun his story surrounding a real-life event, the robbery of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in the 90's. Most well-known facts surrounding this art theft were integrated seamlessly into this story, which I found fascinating. The writing is pretty good - the description on my edition calls the story "brawny". A good one, considering the mob involvement and their ways of dealing with things and our protagonist's close work with criminals. It's a good book if you...more
Ned Frederick
This well-researched and skillfully plotted novel was a hoot. I found myself laughing often and astonished at the wonderful characters as well as the background history of the real heist. This is one of those books that is positioned as an entertaining mystery but it's much more than that. You can look forward to engaging characters, even-lovable in their own quirky ways, and an authentic Boston experience. Hosp's skills as a writer are jaw-dropping at times. He has a fine ear for dialogue, espe...more
Gerald Sinstadt
David Hosp, a Boston lawyer, gets a back-cover mention in the same breath as Grisham, Connelly and Turow. It's true he inherits the same territory but Among Thieves has a feel of having been manufactured rather than written.

Scott Finn - a Boston lawyer, what else? - has a client thrust upon him; the accused has been caught red-handed in a clothing robbery but a link soon emerges to a major art theft. Around this real-life event, Hosp embroiders a tale that features unsavoury members of the IRA...more
LJ
First Sentence: Lian Kilbranish looked down at the lump of flesh curled in front of him on the cement floor.

Boston attorney Scott Finn is hired by Devon Malley, a repeat offender, to defend him against charges of theft at a high-end clothing store. What Finn ends up with is taking care of Malley’s 14-year old daughter, involvement in a 1990 art heist from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, criminals, police agencies and a member of the IRA.

Let me start with the things I did like about this boo...more
Kenny Kling
Why the eagle finial? Why the Chinese Ku? Why not the Titian? 24 years after the infamous robbery, these questions are still be asked. Hosp does a great job of weaving in explanations to these questions. While the picture of the heist that Hosp paints does seem almost too fantastical, it is an exciting ride anybody interested in the Heist will enjoy.

Great characters and character development, especially enjoyed the almost mystical Sam Bass character. I also couldn't help but keep seeing Constan...more
Esther
Among Thieves by David Hosp was suprisingly good, I rarely read a thriller/detective like this. Up till a certain point I hated the fact that there were so many point of views, but I started to appreciate it. I loved the way the characters were set up and stayed true to their personalities. I noticed some slight character developments by Lissa and Sally, which I loved. I thought the book was great and I would recommend it to anyone who likes (and dislikes) this book genre, it's worth it.
Patricia
This is a mystery about the Gardner theft so of course I had to read it! And it's very good. To begin with, it's the 4th in Hosp's series about attorney Scott Finn, so it's not just a one off about the robbery. The way Finn becomes connected with the search for the paintings through his law practice is plausible and the premise Hosp puts forth about how and why the crime was committed is a an interesting one. Hosp obviously did his homework; his take on what happened during the actual theft to e...more
Samantha
I struggled with this book because I'm not really into the art world. I thought it was a little more mystery when I got it but it's not. I enjoyed David Hosp's fictional account of the museum heist. However, I didn't really get engaged with the characters. I found everyone other than the main character, Finn to be lacking much depth. I thought the pace was really slow in the beginning and it was hard to follow because of the switching back and forth between Finn and his client to the Irish fello...more
Carmen
I love love love this author.
First I love that he writes about Boston area neighborhoods I'm familiar with.
Then I love the story lines. Often, I get impatient while reading an author, such as Grisham, when he takes forever filling in local color, while you know something is happening, and you want to get back there.
Hosp himself, doesn't do that. I realized it was "on purpose" when I was reading about his hero, Finn, editing out redundancies in his briefs.
Thanks David. You write great stories, th...more
Steve
This novel is based on the real robbery of Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in 1990. The story starts 20 years later with a psychopathic IRA member looking to recover the paintings that have remained hidden through the years. The main character is a lawyer who enters the picture through a client. The lawyer's partners, retired police detective and a female lawyer, deal with a complex and interesting case. Lots of violence in the story as one would expect from a psychopath, but it is in k...more
Ice
Jim Puskas
A good light read, fast moving, with interesting but fairly one-dimensional characters. Although it is based on a real event, the subsequent fictional story requires a fair bit of suspension of dibelief. For example, the motivation of the prime character, Finn is very sketchy; likewise the willingness of Bass to confide in Finn is hard to believe and the behavior of Porter is inexplicable. Nevertheless, Hosp succeeds in making us care about Sally and admire her toughness in the face of adversity...more
Andy
Really good read. Moves along at a terrific pace. Although Finn is a lawyer this isn't really a traditional legal thriller (total time spent in the courtroom can only be about 10 pages!). It is a good story however. Believable characters. Not enough twists and turns to be five star and you knew who the mysterious third person with the key was as soon as it was mentioned! Makes you want to find out what happens to Finn Koslowski Kranz and Sally next... And I will be buying the next one.
A fictionalized account of the robbery of $300 million dollars of art from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

My book club selected this. It's the detective genre book I usually don't like. This was OK. But this one is the author's take on the robbery. I guess that one of the ideas is the the IRA was involved. They evidently funded a lot of their terrorism by stealing art.

This kind of story doesn't have the depth of character I like. It was OK.
Randy
This is my first Hosp. I like the guy, the characters are likeable and well drawn. The story was great. The bad guy semi-believeable. The story finale gathers up a lot of characters at one time and this is the one area of the book that flailed. Hosp took wonderful pains to introduce us carefully to Chavez and Stone, Porter, Hewitt and then pays their prescence little more than lip service in closing. I like a little more closure. I'll grab the first two if I can find them.
Ryan Fowler
Finn-ished this book. An interesting fictional account of one of the largest art thefts to ever take place, and what happened to the paintings. The writing is a couple of notches above what you typically find in supermarket type thrillers. I haven't read others in the Scott Finn series, and this didn't leave me rushing to my amazon account to buy the others, but i would pick one up if I needed something to read and it was there.
Scott Bagley
A good book by an author I'm not familiar with. I will be looking for more of his books because I liked this one. Fiction that has elements of actual events always bring in a hint of reality to the story, and that's what this one has. David Hosp came up with a plausible solution to an actual art heist and came up with a good story, good characters and lots of action to keep things moving along.

Marcy
A fictional mystery inspired by the 1990 real life art theft from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Among Thieves features Boston attorney Scott Finn who unwittingly becomes involved in the decades old unsolved case when he takes on as his client a less than wonderful thief. Strong characters, a complex plot and a well written story made this a hard to put down and very satisfying read.
Elizabeth
Among Thieves is David Hosp's fourth novel featuring Boston attorney Scotrt Finn. It has adventure, humor and even a sweet romance that is a small under story. The three recurring characters of Finn, Lissa and Kozlowski are tough without being immune to the horrors they see and the plight of others. I am going to go back and start with the first Finn novel, Dark Harbor, which got great reviews.
  • Bad Faith (Butch Karp #24)
  • At All Costs
  • Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #2)
  • In The Name Of Honor
  • The Third Rail
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • Gone 'til November
  • Cut, Paste, Kill (Lomax & Biggs, #4)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Mixed Blood: A Thriller
  • Vermilion Drift (Cork O'Connor, #10)
  • Fault Line (Ben Treven, #1)
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • Black Blade
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
Dark Harbor Innocence The Betrayed Next of Kin Innocence: 1 (Scott Finn 3)