Start by marking “Grasshopper on the Road” as Want to Read:
Grasshopper on the Road

Grasshopper on the Road

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  33 reviews
As Grasshopper sets out to follow a road, he meets some unusual characters.
Published October 24th 1978 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Grasshopper on the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grasshopper on the Road

Danielle Delahunty
This is one of the best books ever written and it's only a level reader.

A level reader uses vocabulary appropriate for a particular reading level and is usually devoid of plot.

This level reader is insightful and allegorical and biblical in its proportions. You heard me right. Next time you are in a room of adults with toddlers, bring up an Arnold Lobel title (Like Frog and Toad are Friends) and every parent will start amazing you with plot lines like so many children's variety show personaliti
Malakai Kong
GRASSHOPPER ON THE ROAD is a great book. Grasshopper wanted to go on a journey. First, he met beetles. The beetles said, "Morning is Tops." Second, he met a worm. The worm said, "There is a hole in my roof," because Grasshopper took a bite of the apple that the worm was living in. Third, he met a housefly. The housefly swept dust in his eyes. Fourth, he met a mosquito. The mosquito said, "You must hop in my boat." Fifth, he met butterflies. The butterflies do the same thing everyday. Sixth, he m ...more
Machiko
Grasshopper, do you really do something different every day of your life?

Always, said Grasshopper.

Always and always!

Grasshopper was tired. He lay down in a soft place. He knew that in the morning the road would still be there, taking him on and on to wherever he wanted to go.

---

To read often with everyone, best read out loud.
Jill Minor
Pilgrim's Progress for the romper room set. Frog and Toad are fabulous, but I say Up with Grasshopper! No author could get across more complexity of plot and characterization on the first-grade level than Arnold Lobel. "Grasshopper" is an allegory of Everyman on the road of life, and our leggy protagonist runs into bugs with all kinds of personality quirks. He meets beetle zealots, a histrionic worm, a narcissistic mosquito, a clean-freak housefly, and obsessive-compusive butterflies. Grasshoppe ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

This has always been one of my favourites of Lobel's books! While the whole story is about Grasshopper's journey, each chapter is episodic and tells a humorous tale of someone he meets along the way. These are so silly, they will have you laughing out loud along with your children. Ds enjoyed this one very much. He loves it when something silly or outrageous happens in a story and this kept him giggling. My favourite part is when he meets the
Cynthia Long
What a delightful book!
Grasshopper has a strong sense of self and is not deterred or ruffled by the peer pressure or the overreaching overtures of his new friends. He is polite and calm and friendly throughout. The insects he meets are representations of human foibles akin to the Tippler et. al. in St. Exupery's The Little Prince. Sorry I waited so long to find this one.
An advanced Easy Reader.
Tobinsfavorite
This is far less charming than the other Lobel I've read, and it took a day or two for my early reader to become engaged, but it is still Lobel. This one seems much more like social commentary to me; I'm sure some crazy person can go to town on the story of the mosquito that demands Grasshopper cross the puddle in his boat. I really like "A New House", with a worm's description of the chaos as his apple-house rolls downhill, culminating in the picture of the house vaporizing when it hits the tre ...more
elissa
Grasshopper's journey is hilarious. In my house, we often remember the butterflies who "Always" do certain things, and we say "Always" in the same voice that I read it in. My older son says the butterflies were in the Terra Nova (the test that all the 2nd graders take in MD), and he heard my butterfly voice while taking the test, and he laughed out loud (he tried to laugh quietly)! This is a great one-on-one read aloud. I'm not sure it would go over as well in a group, but I'll certainly be tryi ...more
Leiera Monae
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read to 4 & 5 year olds*

06.02.2014
Kelly
Arnold Lobel is becoming one of my favorite children's authors.
Attaboy16
if i had the means to start up production on an animated major motion picture project, this is the story i would make. of all the books i have read to my kids, this is darn near one of my favorites. the characters are funny, interesting archetypes for the variety of personalities that line our world that show all of the foibles of being human (even if they are bugs). and grasshopper's zen like striving for something new and experiencing all the world has to offer with an open heart and an open m ...more
Holly Chapman
This is a great book to use to introduce chapter books to still emerging readers and I really liked reading it. The chapters are relatively short and keep the readers interest. This book follows a grasshopper on his journey down a road. He meets many different and interesting bugs. At the end of the day, the grasshopper fell asleep was excited to continue his journey down the road again tomorrow. In the classroom, you could have your students write about something they are always excited about d ...more
Shivering William
When Grasshopper first sets off, he runs into a group of beetles who love nothing more than morning. Grasshopper tells them he likes morning too, and the beetles show him their signs that say things like "Morning is tops" and "Kiss me it's morning". Then Grasshopper admits he also likes afternoon and thinks evening is pretty nice, as well. The beetles scorn him and tell him to leave. So he does. And that's the end of the story.
Sara
A lovely collection of short-stories-as-chapters books about Grasshopper's adventures as he walks along a road. Kids will love the fly trying to clean up the whole world and the mosquito who insists on ferrying grasshopper across a puddle-- these are recognizable sorts of characters/plots that appear in folktales and the chapters have that homespun feel to them. A very nice book about travelling.
Aldean
Arnold Lobel is without a miss in my experience. I was surprised to happen accross this title in the library; I didn't think there were any more of his left for me to discover.

This one is a real treat; a journey of (self-)discovery, as encounters with various narrow-minded groups and individuals cheerfully affirm our hero in his personal quest: a journey for its own sake.
Jj Le
My favorite chapter was the three butterflies who did everything at the sametime every day. It was named Always. That reminded me of my twin sister and I. LOL. But I also liked the chapter about the house fly who swept and clean everything. That was cute. That housefly reminded me of my husband. And the kids thought the book was funny. And I thought it was very cute as well.
Elizabeth S
Lobel is so... wonderful. This one is not my favorite, but it is still so very good. The grasshopper has a nice, "Que sera, sera" attitude. But it isn't the condescending version of the attitude, more the live and let live type. There are 6 little stories, and each is funny and clever. You can laugh and/or learn from each one.
Marla
Feb 27, 2008 Marla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Sooo cute! It's hard to find books at this reading level that are interesting enough to read more than once and enjoy it every time. This is a keeper! Grasshopper goes for a walk and runs into all sorts of interesting insect characters. Each new encounter is quirkier than the next. Very amusing.
Angie
ReadtheShelf Challenge

I do not remember ever reading this one as a kid. I wonder if I did.

Anyway. It's not quite on the level of Frog and Toad but still. I am amazed at the level of writing. Simple, simple words ... but loads of meaning behind them!
Gary Bass
Grasshopper wants to go on a journey and he does. Along the road he encounters many different and unique characters who are for the most part stuck in their ways without realizing it. I really like how Grasshopper is so non-judgemental.
Skot
A hilarious comment on the human condition as a cheerful grasshopper heads out to see the world, encountering various other bugs who each embody some human neurosis. Siddhartha for kids (and way more fun).
Michael Leitzman
this book is about a grasshopper who sets out on an adventure and meets all kinds of different characters. I loved this book! i feel like all elementary age kids would enjoy this book also.
Hatka Prozorac
This book is Grasshopper on the Road by Arnold Lobel. This book can be used in Kindergarten to 2 grade classrooms. This book can be used for lessons on sounds and animals.
Sarah Stephens
Such a precious little story about a grasshopper meeting new friends along the road and becoming settled and thankful for his own little home.
Casey Munro
This is such a pleasant book to read. Tonight at bed time, I was the one saying "one more chapter...one more chapter...".
Polly
I'm very fond of Grasshopper and his adventures.
Deborah Cunefare
pint sized philosophy - I love Arnold Lobel.
Mary Tuley
Aug 09, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody!
This is another perfect Arnold Lobel book!
Zacaro Caro
One of my favorites from Lobel
  • Angus Lost
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Big Max
  • Sammy the Seal
  • Listen to My Trumpet!
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Thomas Goes Fishing (Thomas & Friends)
  • Amelia Bedelia Bakes Off
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • Friends
  • Nate the Great on the Owl Express
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)