Start by marking “City Boy: A Novel” as Want to Read:
City Boy: A Novel

City Boy: A Novel

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Where is the line between love and crazy? How much of life can ever be planned out or foreseen, even by intelligent, savvy, well-meaning people? Newlyweds Jack and Chloe have all such advantages. Ensconced in their affordable Chicago apartment, Jack struggles to pursue his writing career while Chloe works downtown applying herself to the world of high finance. The city is ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about City Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Boy

Rod Raglin
Sep 04, 2014 Rod Raglin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like experiencing the deterioration of a friend’s marriage

Jean Thompson’s novel, City Boy, is not a big story. It’s what she does best, tell us about the everyday lives of people we know. It’s not a great love story, nor is it a tragedy except in the way that we interpret our lives and the lives of those we know.

Jack and Chloe are newlyweds living in Chicago. They are among “the entitled” – both only children from affluent families, university educated, young, good-looking, white.

They have plan
Lindsey
Jul 23, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if anyone else would consider this a beach read, but I read it on the beach and it was perfect for that.
Andrea MacPherson
I loved Thompson's "The Year We Left Home", and I liked "The Humanity Project". But it seems the further I go into her backlist, the less enthusiastic I am

The novel started out well--young couple move to new city apartment, meet curious cast of other tenants--but it went downhill about halfway through. Stylistically, the additions of Chloe's journals came too late to feel cohesive. The secondary characters drifted in and out, but reappeared at convenient times with major roles in the story.

But
Joan Colby
Nov 19, 2010 Joan Colby rated it liked it
This book invokes the question, at least in this reader’s mind, as to why some men love women who are mean to them. The answer for Jack is that Chloe is beautiful and disturbed; he can never believe his luck in acquiring her as his wife. As for Chloe, she viewed Jack as a promising young writer, but the reality became that she became a trainee in an upscale banking firm, while Jack subbed at a junior high school in the inner city and worked desultorily at a novel he’d lost faith in. Chloe embark ...more
Amy
Feb 11, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm really growing to like this author. This one has two main characters who are very hard to like, but for me, easy to relate to. Not for everyone, but I very much enjoyed it.
Jenna
Sep 11, 2007 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a recent Jean Thompson convert, and love her short story collections. This was the first of her novels for me, and I was a little underwhelmed. Seemed like a time marker, the kind of book that a writer could write fairly easily between more demanding projects. The Thompson voice and characters were still there (although I thought the protagonist and wife were both oddly too immature and stodgy for their ages), but I hope that her other novels delve a little deeper and involve characters I ac ...more
Drew
Nov 06, 2011 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Last week I read "The Year We Left Home" and enjoyed it so much I'm now in search of all of her work. "City Boy" was equally captivating. Jean Thompson writes with great depth and understanding of modern love and family, and makes storytelling seem effortless. I can't wait to read more of her work.

Her style and skill reminds me a bit of Francine Prose, another of my favorite novelists.
Stefan
Dec 28, 2012 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wry. Very wry. Very, very, wry. Beautiful, classic ironic prose style.The author keeps her story very well on track. The sad reality of too many young hopefuls after university who are not mature enough. Laugh or cry as you prefer. Close to the quality of "Revolutionary Road".
Kathy
Jun 09, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, not as good as her others I have recently read. As always, she develops some really interesting characters. It is like a train wreck, though, to read about the damage people inflict on each other in a relationship.
Alex
Jul 14, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Jean Thompson experience. This woman can write some dialogue. I think arguments are difficult to write, and she writes very good arguments. I'll be reading more of her ....
Jul 03, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining! Really enjoyed this book - please read my full review for it at http://www.dreamworldbooks.com/2010/0....
Gina
Jul 04, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couple move to an apartment building. husband is a writer and becomes involve with the pot smokers upstairs. wife cheats
Katelyn
May 12, 2013 Katelyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
Couldn't get past the first chapter and gave up. That rarely happens so it should tell you something!
Annie
Feb 04, 2011 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
This got a little out of control (plot/character-wise), but it was an engaging read anyway.
Deb Oestreicher
Well done depiction of a young couple starting out, but I couldn't love these characters.
Kathy
Aug 02, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved her short-story collection, Who Do You Love. This didn't quite measure up to that.
Carol
Jul 13, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too lurid for me. No redeemable characters.
Allison
always fun to read a book set in Chicago...
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jan 17, 2016
Deborah Mesplay
Deborah Mesplay marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Faye Slep
Faye Slep marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Cassie luellman
Cassie luellman marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Terry Raley
Terry Raley rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Keely Pettigrew
Keely Pettigrew marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Mary Rutledge
Mary Rutledge marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
  • Hiding Out
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories
  • It's All Right Now
  • The River Sorrow
Jean Thompson is a New York Times bestselling author and her new novel, The Humanity Project will be published by Blue Rider Press on April 23, 2013.

Thompson is also the author of the novel The Year We Left Home, the acclaimed short fiction collections Do Not Deny Me, and Throw Like a Girl as well as the novel City Boy; the short story collection Who Do You Love, and she is a 1999 National Book
More about Jean Thompson...