Start by marking “After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father” as Want to Read:
After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father

After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Presents a story of a magical love affair and all-consuming grief, of being a mother alone and trying to live for the future.
Published July 1st 2010 by Viking (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about After You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After You

Sankarshan
Grief and remorse are very personal and deep seated subjects to deal with. Deaths of loved ones, especially when they are completely a shock leave scars and wounds that take time to heal. Writing provides a form of catharsis. However, this book isn't merely about catharsis and healing. Wonderfully resilient and yet vulnerable to emotions, the book is more about family. It has that fresh, unstructured prose that makes it such a compelling read. And, a re-read. Heartbreaking and touching and yet v...more
Zuzka
I picked up this book because of my own personal loss. It helped me to rethink certain aspects of mine own grieving.It was additional perspective of other human being...offered freely on the paper for everyone. No dishonesty, just pure experience thrown on the paper. Loss is always different to everyone and at the same time all the same. Some parts of the book were a bit repetitive...I really liked that some parts of the book focused on the present, children and future without the lost person....more
Bailey
Very well written. I received this book in the mail today, and although I intended to read it overtime, I finished the book in a few hours. It's pretty raw, and realistic... You'll definitely need some tissues. Would recommend to anyone that just needs a good REAL story from a real person about real life.
Julie
This little book is written by the actress Natascha McElhone, a mother of two young sons and pregnant with her third boy, she was working in the US, when she got the phone call to say that her young and fit husband had collapsed and died. In this book she writes letters to him, telling him how much he is love and missed. Terribly moving, I was touched by the letter written by his best friend, who had found him on that morning and on the back of the book, a lovely image of the husband and wife on...more
Ravi Goyal
The finest way to cope up with a situation, a problem, a life crisis is to Write 'bout it. Had always admired Natascha McElhone as an actress but now..after reading 'After You' I admire her courage, her actions, her principles.. (At times I felt like I was reading one of Fallaci's book.) This book was different. It was real. It was about Life and Love. It was about death. It was about Natascha & her three sons and how she coped with her husband's death.
Ravi Goyal
Fifi Ström
Fin bok. Sentimentalt, jordnära, och analytiskt på samma gång om en fullständigt obegriplig sorg. Blödande, innerlig kärlek. Viljestyrka och hopp. "Work hard. Expect nothing. Celebrate!"
Courtney
Heartbreaking to read. I had a knot in my throat the entire time but when you experience grief it sort of helps to read about how others have maneuvered through it.
Louise
A must read, but you will need a box of tissues. Very well written and didn't want to finish it but couldn't put it down
Kristina W
Kristina W marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jenna Gordon
Jenna Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Reah
Reah marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Rahul
Rahul added it
Sep 21, 2014
Elaine Rich
Elaine Rich marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Amy Troy
Amy Troy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Steve Jones
Steve Jones is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ariana Tang
Ariana Tang marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 24, 2014
Jaqueline Ovard
Jaqueline Ovard marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Malissa Burchfield
Malissa Burchfield marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Khushboo
Khushboo marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Katie Masterton
Katie Masterton marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father Picasso: Creator And Destroyer