Start by marking “After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father” as Want to Read:
After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father

After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Presents a story of a magical love affair and all-consuming grief, of being a mother alone and trying to live for the future.
Published July 1st 2010 by Viking (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about After You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After You

Sankarshan
Sep 29, 2011 Sankarshan rated it liked it
Shelves: once-again
Grief and remorse are very personal and deep seated subjects to deal with. Deaths of loved ones, especially when they are completely a shock leave scars and wounds that take time to heal. Writing provides a form of catharsis. However, this book isn't merely about catharsis and healing. Wonderfully resilient and yet vulnerable to emotions, the book is more about family. It has that fresh, unstructured prose that makes it such a compelling read. And, a re-read. Heartbreaking and touching and yet v ...more
Zuzka
Jul 24, 2014 Zuzka rated it liked it
I picked up this book because of my own personal loss. It helped me to rethink certain aspects of mine own grieving.It was additional perspective of other human being...offered freely on the paper for everyone. No dishonesty, just pure experience thrown on the paper. Loss is always different to everyone and at the same time all the same. Some parts of the book were a bit repetitive...I really liked that some parts of the book focused on the present, children and future without the lost person. ...more
Saira Khan
Oct 04, 2014 Saira Khan rated it really liked it
A very emotional read; raw and heartbreaking. You really feel for Natascha having lost her husband so suddenly and in such difficult circumstances (whilst she was pregnant with their third son). I would definitely recommend keeping a couple of hours free and reading it all at once and with a big box of tissues handy.
Noor
Oct 18, 2014 Noor rated it liked it
A touching rendition of the turmoil a wife and mother goes through at the loss of her husband. Easy to read and quite moving in parts- its a well put account of the various emotions experienced through this tough time, finally reaching the stage where the heartache and grief can be overcome.
Bailey
Jan 14, 2014 Bailey rated it it was amazing
Very well written. I received this book in the mail today, and although I intended to read it overtime, I finished the book in a few hours. It's pretty raw, and realistic... You'll definitely need some tissues. Would recommend to anyone that just needs a good REAL story from a real person about real life.
Julie
Aug 10, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This little book is written by the actress Natascha McElhone, a mother of two young sons and pregnant with her third boy, she was working in the US, when she got the phone call to say that her young and fit husband had collapsed and died. In this book she writes letters to him, telling him how much he is love and missed. Terribly moving, I was touched by the letter written by his best friend, who had found him on that morning and on the back of the book, a lovely image of the husband and wife on ...more
Ravi Goyal
Feb 14, 2012 Ravi Goyal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The finest way to cope up with a situation, a problem, a life crisis is to Write 'bout it. Had always admired Natascha McElhone as an actress but now..after reading 'After You' I admire her courage, her actions, her principles.. (At times I felt like I was reading one of Fallaci's book.) This book was different. It was real. It was about Life and Love. It was about death. It was about Natascha & her three sons and how she coped with her husband's death.
Ravi Goyal
Oct 31, 2011 Ravi Goyal rated it it was amazing
Fifi Ström
Nov 25, 2013 Fifi Ström rated it really liked it
Fin bok. Sentimentalt, jordnära, och analytiskt på samma gång om en fullständigt obegriplig sorg. Blödande, innerlig kärlek. Viljestyrka och hopp. "Work hard. Expect nothing. Celebrate!"
Courtney
Sep 26, 2010 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking to read. I had a knot in my throat the entire time but when you experience grief it sort of helps to read about how others have maneuvered through it.
Louise
Jun 28, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing
A must read, but you will need a box of tissues. Very well written and didn't want to finish it but couldn't put it down
Fraulein Felix
Fraulein Felix marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Shang-Lin Lin
Shang-Lin Lin marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jeri
Jeri marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Amy Call-Linz
Amy Call-Linz marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Roey
Roey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Christianne
Christianne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Kathrine Opelanio
Kathrine Opelanio marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Elif
Elif marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Joe Smith
Joe Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Nicol Beaumont
Nicol Beaumont rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Grass monster
Grass monster rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Mana
Mana marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Veer Pratap
Veer Pratap marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015