Start by marking “Alice in Rapture, Sort of” as Want to Read:
Alice in Rapture, Sort of

Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,766 ratings  ·  78 reviews
It's the summer before junior high, and Alice and her best friends Elizabeth and Pamela are convinced that they need boyfriends to be successful in school. Luckily, Alice has Patrick, who has always been a good friend. But how will he rate as a boyfriend? Alice needs advice about the rules of dating and kissing. Who should she turn to?

Between bike rides, a beach date, and
Published May 1st 1991 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Rapture, Sort of, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Rapture, Sort of

Ashley
Nov 25, 2008 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-teen and teen girls
Definitely my favorite of the Alice series [and believe me, i've read them all! been working on it since 6th grade!]
This one was the first one I read of the series, and none of the others have quite met this one.
Alice is a regular ol' teenager. You can relate to her. And at the same time, you feel sorry for her for her lack of a mom and the distant relationship with her dad and brother.
Read this if you just can't seem to relate yourself to anyone else...this book [and the rest of the series, for
Liz
It is the summer between sixth and seventh grade and Alice is happy that she has a group of close friends and, for the first time, a real boyfriend. As the summer unfolds, Alice has fun with her friends, endures the teasing of her tactless older brother, long for a mother to guide her through the mysteries of growing up female (her mother died when she was small), and persists in being herself.

This book is the second of a continuing series about Alice McKinley, her family and friends. These are
Amy H
I am so happy that my library has these books. I read them as a child, but it is so nice to re-read this series.

Alice is starting seventh grade, and her friends were telling her all the "in's" to be cool. Like, if you did not have a boyfriend you were going to be considered a "dog" and it will be twice as hard to make friends. So Alice decided that she was going to help Elizabeth, her best friend get a boyfriend.

Alice was still dating Patrick, and she was wondering what someone her age buys for
Elissa
This is the book that started my Alice obsession when I was in the 5th grade, but even on a re-re-(re-re-re-re)read it still retains its goodness. The characters are more fleshed out here; they feel more solid than they did in the first Alice book, and kinks are worked out (Elizabeth Price, for instance, feels more like a real person and the continuity with her pierced/not-pierced ears is fixed from now on).

Book takes place: Summer of the first boyfriend, between elementary and middle school.
Al
Natalie
Several years (maybe more) ago, I read this book that was talking about the joys of reading. I don't remember the title but there was one part that really stuck out to me - the author said that when you read, you put a piece of yourself into the book. Then, years later, when you open that book again, you find yourself. I really loved that.

Rereading Alice, I've found myself. Suddenly I am 12 years-old again and worried about crushes, who I'll sit with at lunch, if I'll ever have a boyfriend (or
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Is Alice ready for a boyfriend? It is the summer before seventh grade. Surely she is ready to be more than just friends with Patrick, and all that comes with that. Naylor hits it in the park with this novel. What a celebration of growing up, friendship, and family.

Alice is such an endearing character. We spend the summer with her - a typical summer of a to-be seventh grader. We experience her blooming relationship with Patrick, her first real job (babysitting), and her ups and downs with family
Cayla Mcelwee
For my summer reading I chose to read Alice in Rapture, Sort of. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, and the Alice series have been really great so far! It was very easy for me to connect to Alice (the main character) in this book because she is so close to my age, so I am going through the same type of problems she went through in this book. This book shows Alice's struggles going into 7th grade as she is getting older, and needs to figure out her problems on her own. Alice struggled with things ...more
Bethany
Picked this up from the neighborhood Tiny Library because I remember loving it as a preteen. Turns out I've had the same terrible taste in books for a long time. This is a silly, unrealistic confection with laugh and cry moments... the same kind of junk I'm still reading twenty years later.
Lorry Chwazik
It's the summer before 7th grade, and you are just doomed if you start 7th grade without boyfriend, right? Alice experiences the fun and the worries of relationships with Patrick in this fifth book (counting the sequels) in the series.
Lauri
Just discovered this series, and I am addicted! I am so disappointed I did not find it 20 years earlier! But, luckily I am catching up now, and I just love Alice and her earnest wish to grow up right.
Polly
My first try at the Alice books, and frankly, I'm not impressed. True, middle school angst rarely translates well into the adult years, but still. This is all angst and nothing else at all.
Page (One Book At A Time)
I picked this book for my 2009 banned or challenged books challenge. I noticed that the Alice series as a whole is frequently challenged. Since my library did not have the first in the series, I choose the second one. I was completely impressed with this book and intend to read the rest of the series. I wish I had known about these books in my preteen years. I though Alice was a wonderful character. While, the parts of the story were a bit outdated, I thought the dilemma’s faced were very real. ...more
Rebecca
I've been reading reviews of the Alice books for years, but this is the first one I've read. It's sort of a 'Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: First Boyfriend' story, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Girls will probably appreciate having their own worries validated by Alice's. However, this book is aimed at girls experiencing a fairly 'normal' adolescence. Girls who are having different experiences--i.e. girls who are not dating at age 12--may feel depressed by their lack and feel that ...more
Siwon
This book, someone just got it for me because I didn't bring my book to school. It was very funny and engaging.. Its about three couples hanging out. I would not like to recommend this book to someone who doesn't like love story
Danielle
I can't stop reading this ridiculous series! This one is about the summer after 6th grade and Alice has a boyyyyfrand. oohhhhhh
Maura
This particular episode of the Alice series was like a page out of my childhood. Boys, boys, boys. With plenty of the adolescent love... Alice and her friends spend the summer having boyfriends - because you can't go into 7th grade without one. Lots of choices to make like, how do I attract a boy, how far should we go (kissing wise), but it's all group decisions. The girls are rarely alone with a boy for any length of time and it's all very innocent. Alice of course ends up with Patrick and they ...more
Lindsey
We pick up Alice right where we left her, about to start summer before seventh grade. She and Patrick are still going out, and Pamela and Elizabeth are working on boyfriends too. Evidently you are nothing if you don't start junior high school with a boyfriend. Alice kind of likes things the way they used to be, though, and she wishes everything didn't have to change.

Once again I so enjoyed the way the author nails girls this age. Alice's mishaps are really funny (the country club dinner, the per
Meagan
Alice in Rapture, Sort Of is the second of the Alice books, and picks up just after the end of the first. It takes place in the summer between sixth and seventh grades, where Alice and her friends Pamela and Elizabeth have discovered that the most important thing a seventh-grade girl can have is a boyfriend. Luckily for Alice, she's already "going with" Patrick. She still struggles with everything that means, and even begins to wonder if it's something she even wants yet. Not as completely stron ...more
Grace
Definetly one of my favorite Alice book. I have always loved to see Alice and Patrick's relationship and how they get through the hardships together. The problems Alice deals with in this book being just twelve I deal with being older. From first dates to getting nervous about things you do in front of boys.

I admire how Naylor writes about writing about the hardships of firsts with a boyfriend and I believe this book in the series deals with the most. How Alice deals with all of this so realist
Shira
Brian
Yes, I finished another Alice book in the same 24 hours I finished the first one. This book picks up where the last one left off and focuses on Alice and her friendship with her neighbors and classmates who appeared in the first book: Elizabeth, who is religious and very innocent and Pamela, who is savvy and modern. The plot is about how the three girls spend the summer trying to find boyfriends before the school year begins. It was a good read and contains some stuff that was probably pretty ed ...more
Zoe
ar book level 4.9
Jenny
When I chose to read this because it's on the banned/challenged book list, I was expecting something far more scandalous. One of the reasons it's challenged is for sexual content. There is a lot of talk of kissing, in fact the whole book is pretty dedicated to discussing the summer of the first boyfriend or something. However, that's about as explicit as it gets. There is mention of bases in the sexual context, and not much more. Otherwise, it was just a slightly humorous coming of age story in ...more
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Heidi
Read for banned/challenged/controversial lesson in children's lit class. Review: Interesting story about a part of a girl's coming of age stage, specifically the summer before junior high. A lot of physical action, but can be applicable to some 12-year old girls.

Parents may find some books in this series useful. Good for them to be aware of what's in them if their daughters choose to read them, though. They get more...young adult-y as Alice gets older...if you know what I mean.
Emma
I loved this when I first read this way back when I was younger than Alice's 12 years of age and I love it now. This is a fantastic book dealing with a lot of the inevitable changes that come with growing up, mainly the changing relationship between girls and boys. I love that Alice stays true to herself and realizes that she is not ready for a boyfriend. Too many kids are growing up way too fast and her example is greatly needed.
Nicole
something that i understand about this book is that is to complicated patrick the boyfriend then patrick the friend so she is trying to say that she understand her friend then the boyfriend like patrick is better then a friend. i feel like if this book is really intresting because it talk about how she was friend with patrick and they are know going out but she is trying to explean if she is ready for a boyfriend.
Samantha
Spend a summer with Alice and her friends Elizabeth and Pamela as they navigate the world of preteen relationships. I didn't love this one nearly as much as The Agony of Alice, but Alice gets back to her old self by the end. Most of the book is young girl fluffy stuff like obsessing over what Patrick will think about everything she does. Well written, great characterization, good read for middle grade girls.
Edward Creter
Alice is back and her second (tho' technically fifth) tale delves into more controversy than you'd find in just any kids' book. Alice worries about the following: French kissing, growing breasts, finding the hottest bathing suit (since when does a 14-year-old claim to have nice legs?) and what would happen when invited to a country club for dinner. Bon appetite.
YA lovers <3: Alice In Rapture, Sort Of 1 1 Jul 10, 2014 02:32AM
  • Anastasia at This Address (Anastasia Krupnik, #8)
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Sixth Grade Secrets
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • Life is Funny
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • The Year of the Book
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • When Dad Killed Mom
  • King and King
  • Just Grace Walks the Dog (Just Grace, #3)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)

“I used to think that when I grew up there wouldn't be so many rules. Back in elementary school there were rules about what entrance you used in the morning, what door you used going home, when you could talk in the library, how many paper towels you could use in the rest room, and how many drinks of water you could get during recess. And there was always somebody watching to make sure.

What I'm finding out about growing older is that there are just as many rules about lots of things, but there's nobody watching.”
43 likes