Start by marking “Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"This book is a real eye-opener and I would recommend it for any manager at any stage in their career."—Professional Manager Magazine

Philip Graves reveals the myriad tricks and psychological games retailers play on consumers, the ways in which we are manipulated into buying things we don't want, and the cutting edge science being used to change our habits to ever more sign
Published September 9th 2010 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Consumerology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consumerology

Birgit
Don't be fooled by thinking that Philip Graves' Consumerology is basically about “shopping til' I'm dropping”, because it is not. This is a fascinating book on consumer psychology and marketing research, which allows you a whole new perspective on what exactly makes your “inner shopper” tick.
Let's put it this way – you may say you'll buy one thing, but in the end you'll buy something else entirely. Welcome to the unconscious which decides for us, whether we want it to, or not. From reading consu
Dariosk
Great subject
Oh so boring writing
Megan Barnes
During the Christmas season in 2011, Coca-Cola changed their regular Coke cans from red to white, to promote saving the polar bear. An uproar ensued. Diet Coke drinkers confused their silver cans with the Coke cans, and you do NOT want to mess with a Diet Coke addicts drink. People claimed that the Coke in white cans tasted different than the red. There were even youtube videos of a woman doing a blind taste-test proving it.

Rationally, it wouldn't seem that the color on the outside of a can coul
Rebecca Ott
Interesting book. A bit up exciting in parts. Can give you real insight into your own decision-making processes and make you a more mindful shopper.
Lee Hutchinson
A must-read for shrewd and canny business types. For anyone who believes that market research is a useful or accurate tool for assessing and predicting consumer behaviour - read this book - and go figure!
Jeff
It had some interesting material on how people consciously and unconsciously make decisions and then rationalize their behavior, but with my lack of background or interest in marketing & focus groups, some portions were a little much. Still, many fascinating real-world examples of how priming, suggestion, environment, & group interactions impact our behavior. A thought-provoking book.
Jackie
Great book that analyzes marketing research. Actually the subtitle says it all. Many are people making money for research that often does not prove true in reality. If they had believed the market research we wouldn't have Bailey's or mini vans, or a number of other items and services. As Henry Ford said, "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse."
Maciek Lipiec
Bardzo dobre - o pułapkach researchu.
Heather
I bought it because it was cheap. However, the author makes a case for understanding brain science in determining how people make purchasing decisions. A reasonable premise with some reasonable conclusions.
Daniel Koh
A good read for market researchers!
Bryan
Although written for market researchers, I found the info quite fascinating and useful to consumers too.
Ted Brockwood
Read buy-ology instead. It covers the same ground with better examples and better writing
Ming Siu
Some interesting observations, but it quickly got repetitive.
A.
What a terrible book!
Totu
Totu is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
Carol Reine
Carol Reine marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Deborah Cook
Deborah Cook marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Luz Charry
Luz Charry marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Bartłomiej
Bartłomiej marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Rama
Rama added it
Aug 08, 2015
Mourad Mhmd
Mourad Mhmd marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Marcel Brussee
Marcel Brussee is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2015
Mohamed Raouf
Mohamed Raouf marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Maria Duner
Maria Duner marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Lovemarks
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • Brandsimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed
  • The One to One Future
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Brand Leadership
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
The Life of Sir Percy Cox ¿Por qué consumimos? Por dentro da Mente do Consumidor Consumerology, New Edition: The Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping Environmental Economics: An Integrated Approach