Start by marking “Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business” as Want to Read:
Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business

Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business

As the hipster classic Craft, Inc. did for crafters, this book will teach all types of creatives illustrators, photographers, graphic designers, animators, and more how to build a successful business doing what they love. Freelancing pros Meg Mateo Ilasco and Joy Deangdeelert Cho explain everything from creating a standout portfolio to navigating the legal issues of starti ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Creative, Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative, Inc.

The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesArt and Fear by David BaylesThe Handmade Marketplace by Kari ChapinThe Right-Brain Business Plan by Jennifer LeeHow to Survive and Prosper as an Artist by Caroll Michels
The Business of Art & Craft
12th out of 75 books — 32 voters
Wreck This Journal by Keri SmithThis is Not a Book by Keri SmithSteal Like an Artist by Austin KleonThinking with Type by Ellen LuptonFinish This Book by Keri Smith
Artsy & Cute Non-Fiction Books
30th out of 114 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 18, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: freelancers, creative people interested in freelancing, start-up business owners
Shelves: nonfiction, how-to
When my sister and I run the world, all college students, no matter their chosen field, will take a basic business course as part of the mandatory freshman curriculum. Having zero business skills is a good way to invalidate any degree. In the freelance world, there’s much more to staying financially afloat than having all the necessary skills to pull off excellent work.

Creative, Inc. is a crash course in business for creative folk, and it’s refreshing to read authors who don’t pretend starting a
Jan 26, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
This book could very well be the best friend a freelancer could have. I love everything Meg Mateo Ilasco does, and this book is no exception -- it's a perfect starter guide for an artist on the verge of a career. But even though I've been a freelancer for 9 years now, this book comes in like well-needed shoulder massage. It's motivating and packed with so many great reminders & tips & interviews. Highly recommended!
Mar 14, 2015 nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: instructional, 2012
A friendly motivator even when the advice and rules don't sync perfectly with your mission (not that they ever could; we're all individuals doing different things). Creative Inc. covers all the areas you need to be thinking about and get you headed in the right direction and that's helpful place to start. The interviews with successful freelancers are full of interesting and helpful tidbits. You might feel a little jealous, but hopefully more inspired :)

More specifically, the Making It Official
Feb 01, 2012 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grow-diy
It was perhaps silly of me to read this book right after Craft, Inc. but I liked to see Meg Mateao Illasco's approach to building a craft business expanded to speak to creative freelance business in general. Similar to Craft, Inc. I liked the authors focus on mission statement and knowing when to stop. I also liked the author's thoughts about collaboration and how to balance your work and your life. I think they make the point very well that a creative person looking to make a go of it must defi ...more
Jan 04, 2016 Ksenija rated it liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
In all honesty, it deserves 3.5 stars for the quality of the content. It is clearly meant as a tool for graphic designers/illustrators, but nevertheless, there are some extremely valuable advices about good business practices that can be applied to freelances in general, notwithstanding the precise operational sector. I did however, find the resources quite 'thin' and mostly useless. No one can seriously propose '' as a resource in this day and age. It feels a bit the authors forgot ...more
Matthew Ciarvella
Feb 27, 2014 Matthew Ciarvella rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I wavered between three and four stars on this one. The book was good and gave me a lot to think about, but the focus and the writing was directed entirely at design, art, and illustration freelancers. I knew from the author descriptions that both authors had backgrounds in freelance design but I was still hoping for a little attention directed at freelance writing or editing. An interview with a freelance writer or editor would have been excellent. Otherwise, I think the book title should have ...more
Sep 14, 2015 Allison rated it really liked it
This is a very elegantly composed book. It has a myriad of useful, easy-to-implement tips for the novice freelancer artist. I really enjoyed the "breaks" offered by QA interviews with real live freelancers. My main gripe--and while it doesn't reflect the quality of the book, it does impact its usefulness to me--is that it is targeted exclusively toward visual freelance artists...which I am not. However I still found the book both enjoyable and informative, and I hope to find its counterpart for ...more
Oct 25, 2010 Jeannette rated it liked it
Maybe because I've been freelancing for the past 8 years, I didn't really get much out of this book but maybe for someone starting out it provides good information. I did think their example on how to do an invoice is so completely wrong - one shouldn't provide an itemized list, broken down by time spent to the client. However, I did find the interviews with established freelancers inspiring and interesting.
Apr 22, 2014 Eloise rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, art
This was a little hit and miss for me. The resources at the back are very helpful. Nothing was mind-blowingly new information.Some sections were awesome with good information in a clean, detailed format...and others went by so fast that I got whiplash. I think there was one short paragraph about copyright and rights? Kind of an important subject for a freelancer.

The other thing that bothered me was that the freelancer profiles were almost all for people who a) do work for huge, international com
Laura Fudge
Aug 06, 2012 Laura Fudge rated it really liked it
A brilliant book on freelancing – mainly in the graphic design business. It’s written by two freelancers with lots of experience, and ranges through from whether or not you should be a freelancer through to finding success and expanding your business.

The book looks lovely, it’s well laid out and type-set, and the front cover is gorgeous. The book is peppered of little line drawings and there is an ongoing orange and turquoise colour theme with text and supporting graphics, which makes this book
Deanna (Anya)
Apr 09, 2011 Deanna (Anya) rated it really liked it
This gives actually stories of artists' types who freelance their work and how they recommend starting your own freelance business out of your home at first. Good comments. Reading slowly. Motivated me to get a brand for my business, while I'm still consuming the contents. Put it down from time to time to read other books. Using it mainly as a resource to go back to for next steps as I am beginning this freelance process. Getting the brand, next is preparing the portfolio. This book does an exce ...more
Aug 20, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing
A greatly informative book for everyone wanting to start freelancing but have absolutely no idea how (like me!). And unlike other books on a similar subject, it directly pertains to creative professionals. There are chapters on seemingly everything and pros and cons for the different topics, so it's quite unbiased.

My only criticism would be where the interviews were placed within each chapter. They are distracting being so randomly placed within the information and would be better at the end of
Terry Palmer
Aug 12, 2014 Terry Palmer rated it it was amazing
Meg Mateo Ilasco & Joy Deangdeelert Cho have come up with a winner. Whether you are a newbe or an advanced professional, they cover most of the ground you may need to advance your freelance business. I especially liked the parts about banding together with other disciplines for a great total creative experience. The concept of collaboration is new to be but will probably be the way to go to get my books to market. thank you to these two who have stepped up and shown the way. Terry Palmer of ...more
Chrislene Lombard
Nov 17, 2013 Chrislene Lombard rated it really liked it
This book gave honest and clear step by step instructions on how to start a freelance business and the experiences a freelancer may encounter. It was geared towards visual artists so I didn't connect to the book as much but the business skills were relevant. I thought the advice the authors gave were feasible for any freelancer. I would advise this book for anyone that is thinking about starting a freelance business in crafts, graphic design, or illustration. As for other freelancers, you can pi ...more
Mar 01, 2011 melydia rated it liked it
I only got about halfway through this book, but not because it's bad - it's just not relevant to my life. I'm sure the freelancing advice is excellent, but most of the interviews are with photographers, graphic designers, and illustrators, fields I know (and care) next to nothing about. Don't get me wrong: the writing is friendly and the content is organized well. I just don't particularly enjoy reading books about business management, even those tailored to artsy people. Simply put, I am not a ...more
Sep 27, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
This is a good little guide to help those who are in creative industries and working for themselves. It is aimed at photographers, artists, and graphic designers, so a lot of it wasn't applicable to me (I blog), but it did have some great info on trying to balance working at home with life and how to separate the two. One suggestion I think I really need to try: get out of your PJs in the morning and into some real clothes!

I am passing this book on to my mother who is an artist - check it out i
Dec 05, 2010 Tamara rated it liked it
Essentially provides a checklist for starting your own freelance business (think graphic designers, photographers, animators, stylists, etc.) Covers everything from choosing a business name to weeding out bad clients to budgeting, pricing and bookkeeping.

My big complaint with this book is that the interviews with real-life freelancers highlight people who are earning $20,000 per job. Not too easy to relate to that sort of paycheck and definitely not typical of most freelancers!
Regina Spiker
May 24, 2011 Regina Spiker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative, freelance, guide
For those who want to venture into the scary world of creative freelancing - this book is for you. Chock full of information - are you ready to freelance, picking a name for your company, insurance, how and where to publicize, should you use an agent, luring and keeping your clients - just tons of good advice. Plus, each chapter, profiles one or two successful freelancing companies. A great, little compact resource.
Kellie Reed
Aug 11, 2014 Kellie Reed rated it it was amazing
For anyone wanting to start freelancing, this is the perfect book. It gives tips on how to start small and build a business. It also has interviews with freelance artists who talk about how they started and grew their business. I love this book and can't wait to start my own freelance business. With this book, my dream seems possible.
Brad Johnson
Jan 13, 2014 Brad Johnson rated it liked it
Whole the tone was conversational, it was a bit mediocre on the information. I would've liked more detail about business and copyright. However, the list of resources in the back covered what the rest of the book missed. I also appreciated the interviews spread throughout the book. They broke up the lecture enough to keep my interest.
Jul 10, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Excellent companion to someone thinking about getting into freelance, especially someone many years out of school, totally self-taught (read: learning) in the design field and without cronies to question. This book is written on such a frank and comfortable level it's like getting pointers from a confident, seasoned friend.

Looking forward to Joy's companion book on blogging out in September.
Aug 16, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Really nice quick read to give a basic run-down on the things you need to think about if you want to be a freelance creative. Overall, I found it was good, say, for a student to read who is interested in the idea of freelance, but not very helpful for someone who is seriously in the start-up process of their own business and needs some good black & white business assistance.
Dec 10, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
It's not just geared toward first-time freelancers, even though a lot of the information in the book is organized in a step-by-step way. It's encouraging and motivational enough for anyone who's been working for themselves for a while, too. Definitely a book I'll be keeping on my desk, as it was very pivotal in cementing my decision to quit my 9-5 and start up my own business.
May 09, 2011 Leila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-design
I'm about 2/3 of the way through and so far this book is a slam dunk. It is helpful, well-organized and clear and has good interviews with creative professionals. I went to a freelancing workshop last week run by one of the authors. So encouraging for a creative who eventually would like to run a freelance business from home!
Jul 02, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book definitely clarified a lot of the things I was wondering about freelancing! Such a great resource if you are relatively new to working for yourself, or just wanting a refresher on some important things to keep in mind.
Aug 18, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Good, quick read. The tough parts about starting a business are glossed over (somewhat understandable when the legal and tax issues vary by state and can always change) but they do include references. Still provides a nice outline and food for thought though.
Feb 23, 2011 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Nothing against it, but about half-way through I realized none of this really applies to me, and I'm not going to finish it. If anything, it just made me realize that I don't want to freelance. Possibly ever, lol. What I read was still good and definitely helpful, just not for me.
Nov 29, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
I guess I've just read too many books on business, and attended a lot of small business seminars, but there really wasn't anything new for me in this book. It was decent, though, and I might recommend it if someone was really starting from the ground up as a creative freelancer.
Much of this that was on my level of just starting out were actually topics just recently studied in my online classes. Perhaps in a few months or more, I'll try this again and more carefully review the advanced ideas.
Apr 14, 2015 Cari rated it liked it
A good overview and a quick read, with a solid list of resources—but those date fast, so read it soon or not at all. Also, copywriters don't count as "creatives," I guess? It's really more about design than anything else, so if you're a graphic designer, this might be of more use to you.
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • I Just Like to Make Things: Learn the Secrets to Making Money while Staying Passionate about your Art and Craft
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media