Start by marking “Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World” as Want to Read:
Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World

Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World

The environmental “tipping point” we approach is more palpable each day, and people are seeing it in ways they can no longer ignore—we need only turn on the news to hear the litany of what is wrong around us. Serious reflection, inspiration, and direction on how to approach the future are now critical.

Hope Beneath Our Feet creates a space for change with stories, meditatio
Published September 7th 2010 by North Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Beneath Our Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Beneath Our Feet

Roberta
Feb 16, 2013 Roberta rated it it was amazing
This is not a book to be read quickly. Its essays, poems, and stories were written by different authors, some of whom are well known--Barry Lopez, Howard Zinn, Wendell Berry, Barbara Kingsolver, Michael Pollan, Alice Walker. They need to be savored and absorbed. They are all directed towards a question I have been asking myself, "In a time of environmental crisis, how can we live right now?" Gardening, eating locally grown food, being vegetarian, being an activist are all encouraged, but so are ...more
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
I first want to mention that I won this book in the giveaway, thank you so much.
I haven't finished yet, but I love the book so far. It is a collection of short essays and speeches, many only a few pages long, about the state of the world today and how we should react. As a scientist, I have thought a lot about the issue and have heard and read many different opinions. What I love about this book is the shear diversity of stories and suggestions; it covers hard science, living sustainably, tip
Kris
Aug 22, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it
This collection of about 50 essays, some by better known authors such as Howard Zinn, Michael Pollan, Barbara Kingsolver, and Paul Hawken, are concerned with the topic of how we can live right now, in this time of environmental crisis. Many of the entries were inspirational. I, for one, often am quite discouraged and despondent over the state of our world and the way in which we humans have mistreated it. Many of the ideas for perservering and not losing hope involve growing our own food, eating ...more
Kim
Aug 28, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway!! I am so thankful that i received this book.
Wow! I am reading this book through, it is a compilation of essays by several forward thinking people, and all I can say is WOW!
I think this should be mandatory reading for High School seniors and/or College students. It is so timely. I would love to see this sold or given away in Starbucks! So many wonderful conversations could be started.
Katie
Jun 13, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book taught me so much, about the environment and about myself. It was an eye-opening and inspiring experience. I recommend this to anyone who cares about the environment, our planet, and our future.
Karen
May 27, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
50+ essays with unique perspectives on what constitutes hope for each writer in a time of environmental crisis. It's definitely worth the read, but not always hopeful.
Vanessa
Mar 04, 2015 Vanessa marked it as to-read
So excited to win a copy, and can't wait to read it. Thanks, North Atlantic Books!
Jaime
Sep 28, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: first-reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The theory and practice of returning and protecting nature has recently become a much bigger priority in my life. When I saw this anthology in the First Reads giveaways, I was so excited to put my name in and then I won!

It's not a book to ready quickly, though several of the contributions can be read in a short amount of time. These essays are meant to inspire meditation on the ideas they discuss and hopefully call the reader to action.

T
Rori Rischak
Mar 22, 2012 Rori Rischak rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to read this book, but I wouldn't call that a bad thing. I was at a busy point in my life when I picked up this book, and it was nice to have a book that I could put down and pick up two weeks later, and not have to worry about having forgotten all the important details of the book. Because it's a collection of essays, you can take your time with this one.

Also, with few exceptions, the essays were the kind that kept the wheels of your brain turning beyond the conclusion of
Westcoast_girl
May 24, 2014 Westcoast_girl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who care about our planet
In my recent ventures to live an eco-friendly, sustainable life, this book has been perfect.

When I feel unmotivated to do more to help, I read this book. When I feel as if what I'm doing could never possibly be enough or make a real difference, I read this book. When I feel so utterly terrified about the apocalyptic-like prospects our planet faces, I read this book.

'Hope Beneath our Feet' is
-encouraging
-grounding
-motivating
-inspiring
-eye opening
-thought provoking

and most of all, hopeful.

Each co
Jeffrey
Sep 28, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: my mom
This is a large collection of very short pieces (3-5 pages was the norm), so it is hard to give the whole book an overall review, but I will try.

I found the pieces on specific action to be inspiring and practical, very well worth the read. Unfortunately, these only made up about 1/4 of the book. The rest was dominated by spirituality and psychological approaches to coping with the severe emotional distress that some people apparently feel over issues like pollution, global warming, etc. I don't
Heather
Oct 14, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Must get to reading this. Like the WAB, I'll be reading this off and on- probably an essay or so at a time- because of my schedule.

Oct. 6- I'm about halfway through. Not sure if I should start putting my comments down here or if I should wait until I'm done with the book. Also, don't read before bed unless you want dreams about how the earth is dying and needs us to clean up our act. Seriously dreamed about the themes in this book last week.

Oct. 14 Finished.
Essays that I liked:
"Commencement Addr
Adam Levi
Feb 02, 2011 Adam Levi rated it it was amazing
For me, reading Hope Beneath Our Feet was like meeting a complete stranger who shares the same precise concerns about the future and insecurities about what I can do to improve it. In the book, Martin Keogh compiles dozens of opinions about an uncertain environment and opinions on what the current generation can do to improve it.

Check out The Grid's review of the book here!.

Saundra Brookes
Dec 22, 2010 Saundra Brookes rated it really liked it
If you're already green, or vegetarian, or vegan or whatnot, you've probably read much of this before. I did like reading so many different essays that encompassed different authors' viewpoints. Some were, however, so...how do I say it...OUT THERE... The opinions did reinforce what I am doing to be part of the solution and not quite as much of the problem.
I.
Mar 07, 2012 I. is currently reading it
So far, so good! The essays are by Diane Ackerman, Paul Hawken,Derrick Jensen, Barbara Kingsolver, Francis Moore Lappé, Barry Lopez, Bill McKibben,Michael Pollan, Alice Walker, Howard Zinn!
Sally
Nov 02, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of essays addressing what people can do now in the face of environmental degradation and change.
Jessica Knurek
Jessica Knurek rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2015
Kat Engh
Kat Engh rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2010
Cynthia Pierce-Garnett
Cynthia Pierce-Garnett rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Hattie Goodman
Hattie Goodman rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Judith Cullen
Judith Cullen rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Arjuna G
Arjuna G rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
nancy
nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2010
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Gregory Horst
Gregory Horst rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed
  • The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability
  • Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Mattered
  • Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in without Going Crazy
  • Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2007
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • Green Wizardry: Conservation, Solar Power, Organic Gardening, and Other Hands-On Skills From the Appropriate Tech Toolkit
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2003
  • The Arctic: an anthology of the finest writing on the Arctic and the Antarctic (The ends of the earth, #1)
  • Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
  • Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World
  • The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community
  • The Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update

“When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: if you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren't pessimistic, you don't understand the data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor, and you aren't optimistic, you haven't got a pulse.” 48 likes
“Curtin毕业 证书文 凭!微Q981497266(办理澳洲文 凭)科廷科技大学毕业 证成绩单文 凭学位证学历毕业 证书制作Curtin University
Curtin毕业 证书文 凭!微Q981497266(办理澳洲文 凭)科廷科技大学毕业 证成绩单文 凭学位证学历毕业 证书制作Curtin University”
0 likes