Start by marking “Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World” as Want to Read:
Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World

Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The environmental “tipping point” we approach is more palpable each day, and people are seeing it in ways they can no longer ignore—we need only turn on the news to hear the litany of what is wrong around us. Serious reflection, inspiration, and direction on how to approach the future are now critical.

Hope Beneath Our Feet creates a space for change with stories, meditatio
Published September 7th 2010 by North Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Beneath Our Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Beneath Our Feet

This is not a book to be read quickly. Its essays, poems, and stories were written by different authors, some of whom are well known--Barry Lopez, Howard Zinn, Wendell Berry, Barbara Kingsolver, Michael Pollan, Alice Walker. They need to be savored and absorbed. They are all directed towards a question I have been asking myself, "In a time of environmental crisis, how can we live right now?" Gardening, eating locally grown food, being vegetarian, being an activist are all encouraged, but so are ...more
Aug 16, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
I first want to mention that I won this book in the giveaway, thank you so much.
I haven't finished yet, but I love the book so far. It is a collection of short essays and speeches, many only a few pages long, about the state of the world today and how we should react. As a scientist, I have thought a lot about the issue and have heard and read many different opinions. What I love about this book is the shear diversity of stories and suggestions; it covers hard science, living sustainably, tip
This collection of about 50 essays, some by better known authors such as Howard Zinn, Michael Pollan, Barbara Kingsolver, and Paul Hawken, are concerned with the topic of how we can live right now, in this time of environmental crisis. Many of the entries were inspirational. I, for one, often am quite discouraged and despondent over the state of our world and the way in which we humans have mistreated it. Many of the ideas for perservering and not losing hope involve growing our own food, eating ...more
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway!! I am so thankful that i received this book.
Wow! I am reading this book through, it is a compilation of essays by several forward thinking people, and all I can say is WOW!
I think this should be mandatory reading for High School seniors and/or College students. It is so timely. I would love to see this sold or given away in Starbucks! So many wonderful conversations could be started.
May 24, 2014 Westcoast_girl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who care about our planet
In my recent ventures to live an eco-friendly, sustainable life, this book has been perfect.

When I feel unmotivated to do more to help, I read this book. When I feel as if what I'm doing could never possibly be enough or make a real difference, I read this book. When I feel so utterly terrified about the apocalyptic-like prospects our planet faces, I read this book.

'Hope Beneath our Feet' is
-eye opening
-thought provoking

and most of all, hopeful.

Each co
50+ essays with unique perspectives on what constitutes hope for each writer in a time of environmental crisis. It's definitely worth the read, but not always hopeful.
Mar 04, 2015 Vanessa marked it as to-read
So excited to win a copy, and can't wait to read it. Thanks, North Atlantic Books!
Rori Rischak
It took me a long time to read this book, but I wouldn't call that a bad thing. I was at a busy point in my life when I picked up this book, and it was nice to have a book that I could put down and pick up two weeks later, and not have to worry about having forgotten all the important details of the book. Because it's a collection of essays, you can take your time with this one.

Also, with few exceptions, the essays were the kind that kept the wheels of your brain turning beyond the conclusion of
Sep 28, 2010 Jaime rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: first-reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The theory and practice of returning and protecting nature has recently become a much bigger priority in my life. When I saw this anthology in the First Reads giveaways, I was so excited to put my name in and then I won!

It's not a book to ready quickly, though several of the contributions can be read in a short amount of time. These essays are meant to inspire meditation on the ideas they discuss and hopefully call the reader to action.

Must get to reading this. Like the WAB, I'll be reading this off and on- probably an essay or so at a time- because of my schedule.

Oct. 6- I'm about halfway through. Not sure if I should start putting my comments down here or if I should wait until I'm done with the book. Also, don't read before bed unless you want dreams about how the earth is dying and needs us to clean up our act. Seriously dreamed about the themes in this book last week.

Oct. 14 Finished.
Essays that I liked:
"Commencement Addr
Sep 28, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my mom
This is a large collection of very short pieces (3-5 pages was the norm), so it is hard to give the whole book an overall review, but I will try.

I found the pieces on specific action to be inspiring and practical, very well worth the read. Unfortunately, these only made up about 1/4 of the book. The rest was dominated by spirituality and psychological approaches to coping with the severe emotional distress that some people apparently feel over issues like pollution, global warming, etc. I don't
Adam Levi
For me, reading Hope Beneath Our Feet was like meeting a complete stranger who shares the same precise concerns about the future and insecurities about what I can do to improve it. In the book, Martin Keogh compiles dozens of opinions about an uncertain environment and opinions on what the current generation can do to improve it.

Check out The Grid's review of the book here!.

Saundra Brookes
If you're already green, or vegetarian, or vegan or whatnot, you've probably read much of this before. I did like reading so many different essays that encompassed different authors' viewpoints. Some were, however, do I say it...OUT THERE... The opinions did reinforce what I am doing to be part of the solution and not quite as much of the problem.
Mar 07, 2012 I. is currently reading it
So far, so good! The essays are by Diane Ackerman, Paul Hawken,Derrick Jensen, Barbara Kingsolver, Francis Moore Lappé, Barry Lopez, Bill McKibben,Michael Pollan, Alice Walker, Howard Zinn!
Plovers Stratford
One our of staff recommended this and glad she did.

Book for all ages of readers!
Adam Stein
Adam Stein marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Kate Calvert
Kate Calvert marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Anderson Cole
Anderson Cole marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Edgar marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Glenn Sullivan
Glenn Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Greta Fisher
Greta Fisher marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Paramjot Sandhu
Paramjot Sandhu marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Cindy added it
Aug 12, 2015
  • The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability
  • Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2008
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2009
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Mattered
  • Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy
  • Making Home: Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place
  • Becoming Native to This Place
As Much Time as it Takes: Handbook for the Bereaved, their Family and Friends Etched in your Brain Name Games: How To Guide for Teachers, Group Facilitators and Insightful Leaders Everywhere

“When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: if you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren't pessimistic, you don't understand the data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor, and you aren't optimistic, you haven't got a pulse.” 47 likes