Start by marking “Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey” as Want to Read:
Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey

Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey

Popular author and speaker Margaret Feinberg invites you to accompany her on the spiritual adventure of a lifetime. Explore how ancient livelihoods illuminate meaningful Christian truths that apply to life today. Spend time with a grape grower, a shepherdess, a beekeeper, and a farmer, all who bring fresh insights to familiar Scriptures.
Published October 6th 2009 by Zondervan (first published September 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Scouting the Divine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scouting the Divine

Willie Krischke
Margaret Feinberg visits a shepherdess, a beekeeper, a farmer and a vintner to understand the symbolism and references in the Bible. Feinberg really did her homework on this one; she is able to approach each of the "experts" with a list of good questions and emerge with productive, insightful conversations. It is surprising to realize how out of touch we are with the agrarian world in which the Bible was written; the depth and richness of its metaphors are mostly lost on us. It makes me wonder w ...more
Nicole DeVries
Aug 12, 2015 Nicole DeVries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-this-again
Feinberg takes us on her journey to discover deeper meaning in the Bible through better understanding vineyards, shepherds, farmers, and bee keepers-- and their relationship with their vines, sheep, crops, and bees. There are four sections, and if I had my own copy of this book I would read one section at the beginning of each season. Not because they represent each season, but to spread out the analogies so I can read more slowly and savor the impact of each.

She includes a set of songs in the
Amy
Jan 25, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book. I rarely read non-fiction because I find a lot of it tedious. This book was far from tedious. The information was fresh and so interesting. I especially enjoyed the chapters on shepherding and winemaking. Feinberg does an amazing job of drawing parallels between the everyday responsibilities of these vocations and what is in scripture regarding them. I found that scripture that I have read many times suddenly came to life with new meaning for me.
Robin O'Brien
Jan 23, 2016 Robin O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for Christians to read. A personal look at many of the trades referenced in the Bible. I now do and will continue to understand the Bible on a deeper level. My hat goes to this author who personally went to the location of these people and observed them and allowed them to speak from their hearts. Thank you Margaret Feinberg, her husband and all those who welcomed her into their lives allowing her to write a deeply, insightful book.

Amanda
Apr 03, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, audiobooks
A very neat look at the Bible from a modern agricultural viewpoint. It's so true that we have very little personal experience with some of the agrarian references in the Bible and considering them makes the stories and promises that much more colorful and impactful. I've listened to a few author as narrator audio books I disliked, but Margaret is perfect for telling this personal narrative in her own voice.
Gary
Nov 19, 2010 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Wow Margaret Feinberg is a great writer. Her colorful and poetic discriptions of travels she made writing the book are truly delightful. Sometimes she describes the food she is going to eat and it makes me salvitate. She has a wonderful gift to take parts of the world I have ignored and brought it to life. She visits a sheep herder, farmer, bee keeper, and a wine maker and brings a deeper understanding of their labor as it reflects on God. I look forward to reading more of her works.
Celia
Apr 20, 2012 Celia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful read that is beautifully written. Love how the author has taken what had to be an immense amount of learning and shared the most precious parts with the reader in a way that left me fascinated and delighted.
Ana
Mar 26, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from reading this book!! Highly recommend!!
Nov 02, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm maybe 2/3 of the way through, and I'm not going to finish. It's too bad b/c I really love the concept of the book, but it's just poorly executed. It's sloppy. Bummer.
Bethany
This book was an enjoyable read about the author's adventures throughout the US in places like Alaska, Colorado, and Nebraska as she explored the richness of the Bible's parables, metaphors, and historical events that reference the agrarian culture God's people lived in. For the vast majority of the Western world today, we live in societies that have no context or appreciation for the lessons and beauty of Scripture.

As the book's description puts it, how can we understand a land overflowing w/ h
Debbie
Dec 07, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a review copy from the publisher. "Scouting the Divine" is Scripture-focused and a fast, enjoyable read. About half of the book was spent describing (in a "as it happened" style) how she found the expert, arriving and getting to know the expert, and what the author's day with them was like. She then would ask the shepherd/farmer/beekeeper/vintner questions about verses in the Bible that related to sheep and shepherding, farming, beekeeping, and growing grapes. They would ...more
Iamthird
Mar 10, 2010 Iamthird rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"When I embrace a life that is pleasing to God - one that chooses righteousness over being merely right, one that chooses kindness in the face of rejection, one that chooses love rather than silent withdrawal - something comes alive in my heart and in the hearts of my community. "
Galatians 6:7-8 "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit wil
Groups
Per Sue Bates:

The author explores "pastimes" that were specific to biblical times, such as sheep herding, winemaking, etc. She does a good job of creating great visuals and connections to the text through these ancient tasks, which will appeal to certain styles of thinkers. It felt like at times that her connection with the parable to modern day was a bit of a stretch, and she took some liberties.

Concerns:
She takes parables and ancient biblical practices, and draws conclusions on what God intend
Brenda
Feb 16, 2017 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
Very conversational. A pleasant journey with the author as she visits with a shepherdess, farmer, beekeeper and winemaker....discovering new ways to understand Bible passages related to these endeavors.
Georgia Herod
Dec 04, 2012 Georgia Herod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across Feinberg on Ann Voskamp's website--and then I read that Feinberg was recognized by World Magazine as one of 50 younger Christian voices that are making an impact for Christ in the modern world. Then the title grabbed me.

The first chapter, Wonderment, drew me in. "When Scripture comes alive in our hearts, it doesn't inform us as much as transform us. As I read I'm discovering that faith isn't about becoming good--it's about becoming godly characters in a greater Story. Somehow, word
Josh Cosby
Mar 01, 2010 Josh Cosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough good about this book. I've never met Margaret Feinberg. Yet, after reading this book I feel like she and I have been friends for a long time. Maybe one day I'll have the honor. Her writing is honest, raw, descriptive, and even humorous at times. I appreciate her transparency. Margaret is open about her struggles and lack of ability to understand the mysteries of God. I am a huge fan of her attempts. Through the mind of a farmer, shepherdess, vintner, and bee keeper, Margaret d ...more
Jennifer Lassiter
Overall, I loved this book. I knew nothing about it when I bought it. I had just heard Margaret speak at E-Women conference, and was blown away at her ability to "preach".

The first section about her time with a shepherd was the best part of the book. I cannot quit thinking about all the incite she drew upon the scriptures and the information shared by the shepherd. I think that reading this book has deepened the meaning of what it means for me to be apart of the great shepherd's flock.

I loved
Rachelle
Feb 20, 2016 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along the lines of Philip Keller's A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, Margaret Feinberg's devotional explores Biblical truths in "wine, wool, and wild honey." I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for nuggets of truth to tuck away for continual pondering. My favorite example comes from the vineyard. "Looking back, I see times in my life when I have let my relationship with God go--the weeds sprouting up and stealing nutrients, runaway branches taking away from my fruitfulness. God is f ...more
Cherie Lowe
Feb 02, 2014 Cherie Lowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of Margaret's works (there are several favorites in the list), this was one of the very first books that I read written by a woman a faith where I felt like I could truly relate to the author. Exploring passages of the Bible about sheep, wine, beekeeping, and farming with a shepherdess, a vintner, a beekeeper, and a farmer to unleash their power, Scouting the Divine turns familiar verses into new treasures. I have read this work rice already and would read it again (and agai ...more
Megan
Nov 20, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up in modern, urban America must leave us with some intellectual gaps when reading the Bible, right? The author visits a shepard, a winery, a farm and a bee keeper to see if she learns anything new which will add depth to the many biblical references to all things agricultural. And she does learn new things. A beehive can make 2 pounds of honey per day, among other things. She is a poetic and thoughtful writer.

I was introduced to her work when she spoke at our church. If you get a chanc
Madelle
Oct 29, 2015 Madelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feinberg took the themes of wool, wine, and honey from the Bible and in turn visited a sheep herder, a vineyard, and a bee farm to see the actual workings of these professions. She was amazed to see how the inner workings of each of these three places interfaced with God's word. She is a lovely writer and really brings to life her subjects. She was able to get in with her hands and do the work of each of these three professions. God's word came alive to her and to me.

I am reading another of her
Clay Leonard
3.5 Stars

I think this is a pretty good. It's the first one I've read from Margaret Feinberg, and I didn't know what to expect. On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised. I would've liked more discussion and application of Scripture, and less "fluffy" details about what so-and-so was wearing, or the peppery flavor of steak she was eating on a given day. Those details tended to distract me from the overall purpose of the book. Nevertheless, I felt that the book was pretty well-written and did contr
Sarah K
Mar 22, 2016 Sarah K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret is a fantastic writer and makes you feel like you're listening to her stories instead of reading her book. Her experiences are life changing and this is the second book of hers I have read (and own). One hundred times better and deeper and more moving than the fictional eat, pray, love.. Scouting the Divine is a moving and believable journey to finding Someone bigger than yourself and leads to greater knowledge and comprehension of God's Word.
Keith Lewis
Jul 08, 2014 Keith Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great book. Feinberg seamlessly relates 4 noble occupations found throughout the bible with everyday modern life and throws in a nice dose of spirituality and bible study along the way. I loved every step of her journey and hated to see it end. My favorite was probably the shepherd, but I paid close attention to the beekeeper since I am getting a hive next spring. Get it, read it, study it, and ponder it. Guaranteed you won;t forget it.
Jen
Loved the Feinberg decided to make the Bible more real by diving into specific Scriptures and practices so she (and ultimately, we) could better understand and connect to the text. This may be the most impactful book I've ever read on actual life application of the Bible.

Cannot recommend this book highly enough. I marked up my copy, will continue to come back to it AND check out her other writings.
Anthony Rodriguez
A simple, earnest exploration of Biblical imagery and metaphors. Some of the writing was trying a bit too hard and was overly sentimental. But by and large, I found the examinations of these images to be wonderfully simple and moving, especially the shepherd and vinter sections. Well worth anyone's time. Quick read.
Janet
Oct 04, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I really enjoyed this book. The author has done interviews with experts in each field, then relates them with the Bible. Very interesting. Very helpful in understanding Bible references to these careers -- raising sheep and being a shepherd, growing grape vines and making wine, keeping bees and making honey. I learned a lot about each of these careers, and gained Bible understanding.
Kristin Farren
May 19, 2015 Kristin Farren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book several times now and it is so good every time. I have read through it alone and with others as part of a book study and am able to pull out new things in each reading. It is an easy story to follow and to grasp on to; it is easy to go with her family as they visit each of the craftsmen. The Biblical truths that she pulls out are beautiful and tangible.
Like all Feinberg's books, this one was warm and clear and easy to read. It was half storytelling and half Bible story, and the two halves meshed easily. This book definitely accomplished the goal of illuminating Scripture with a look at the agriculture that runs through it. So glad I bought this one.
Brianna Schott
Nov 27, 2012 Brianna Schott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Love Loved It!!! This book really made God's Word come to life! I was reminded over and over again how every single concept, story, person, and idea was carefully thought out and means more than what is simply written on the page. I am inspired to dig deeper and read The Bible more carefully now. Our God is concerned in the details... How amazing!!!!!
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • The Feasts of the Lord: God's Prophetic Calendar From Calvary to the Kingdom
  • The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America
  • Unfashionable: Making a Difference in the World by Being Different
  • The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance
  • Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Deep Church: A Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional
  • Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams Into New Beginnings
  • Your God Is Too Safe: Rediscovering the Wonder of a God You Can't Control
  • O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • Welcoming Justice: God's Movement Toward Beloved Community
  • Green Like God: Unlocking the Divine Plan for Our Planet
A self-described "hot mess," Margaret Feinberg is a popular Bible teacher and speaker at churches and leading conferences such as Catalyst, Thrive, and Women of Joy. Her books, including The Organic God, The Sacred Echo, Scouting the Divine, and Wonderstruck and their corresponding Bible studies, have sold nearly one million copies and received critical acclaim and extensive national media coverag ...more
More about Margaret Feinberg...

“Jesus knew that many of his listeners believed the old wineskin (or way of doing things) was good enough. They were comfortable with their beliefs and practices, but Jesus hadn't come to patch up old religious traditions. He was offering a new garment, a new wineskin, a way of life that didn't abolish the old ways, but fulfilled them.

The teaching illuminated my own need to remain pliable before God. I realize that I must have a softer housing for my growing faith, one that can flex and change as God is at work inside of me. All too often I find myself clinging to that which is comfortable and familiar, rather than embracing the challenges that emerge with change and growth. Sometimes I shy away from people who have strong views that differ from mine, even though sharing a great conversation... could temper both our viewpoints and deepen our relationship. Why do I run away from strong opinions and potential conflict? Am I too comfortable and unwilling to change? Such a realization highlights the need for the Spirit in my life not just to discern and distinguish, but also to illuminate and invite me to move forward into the fullness of life with him." -Scouting the Divine”
3 likes
“And God did not just ask for the perfect sheep; He also wanted its wool. Deuteronomy 18:4 instructs shepherds to give the first shearing of the sheep as on offering to God. Above the crackling warmth radiating from the stove, I read the verse aloud to Lynne. "Is a first shearing a once-in-a-lifetime offering?" I asked. "Yes, everybody wants the first shearing, especially if it's from one of your best lambs. The first shearing is the finest fleese that's used to the best clothes...to ask for that is a real sacrifice." ... For the first time in a long while, maybe ever, I had felt with my own hands what God desired from sacrifice. It was nothing like what I expected...In asking for the first fleece, God isn't asking for the biggest. He wants to smallest and the softest. He doesn't want more-He wants the best." -Scouting the Divine” 2 likes