Start by marking “Jenny Goes to Sea” as Want to Read:
Jenny Goes to Sea

Jenny Goes to Sea (The Cat Club)

In Jenny Goes to Sea, our heroine makes her passage on the good ship Sea Queen with her master, Captain Tinker, and her adopted brothers, tiger cat Edward, and black-and-white cat Checkers. Once on board, they meet the adventurous ship's cat, Jack Tar.

Leaving New York's harbor, the friends travel to Africa and Asia, and return through the Panama Canal. At each port they me
Published June 30th 2005 by NYR Children's Collection (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Goes to Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenny Goes to Sea

Jenny Goes to Sea by Esther AverillForscher, Katzen und Kanonen by Wolfgang SchwerdtParley After Life - DIY Guide to Death and other Taxes by Robby MillerRaiders' Ransom by Emily DiamandDie Schwarzbaerflotte by Wolfgang Schwerdt
Books About Seafaring Cats
1st out of 14 books — 4 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Tales
318th out of 453 books — 325 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaethe
Jan 02, 2015 Kaethe rated it it was amazing

This one gets bonus points for stopping in at less common ports-of-call, for being at least sort of about shipping as transportation for goods (rather than people), and for demonstrating nicely the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy. Plus, I really loved the illustrations of the cats in their hammocks.

Library copy.
Emily
Mar 22, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, cats
Quite honestly, the Jenny books bore me to tears. But Jenny herself is so winsome with her little red scarf and all, it would feel mean to give her anything less than a three. But if T wants to read any of the others, he's on his own.
Marie
Grab a globe and find Zanzibar and Capetown while you read this--good for homeschool geography!
NebraskaIcebergs
Nov 11, 2016 NebraskaIcebergs rated it liked it
Jenny Goes to Sea is about the adventures of four cats at sea. Soon after Jenny and two brothers board The Sea Queen, they meet the ship captain's cat. Jack Tar tells Jenny and Edward that the two have come from a long line of the noble cats of Egypt and then gives their other sibling the mysterious news that some of his relations may have come from Siam. For several weeks, the cats amuse themselves by strolling decks, climbing ropes, counting whitecaps, and walking the gangplank. Just as they ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Jenny Goes to Sea (and the other Jenny books) are worthy read-alouds for young minds -- older children will likely find them a little too quaint.

In this book, Jenny and her brothers join their master, Captain Tinker, on a voyage around the world. They only really visit Africa and Asia, however, before returning home to North America. I was disappointed that the book doesn't give a view into Europe or South America, but I appreciate the views into other cultures anyway.

The cats visit a fortune t
Kristine Hansen
Apr 18, 2016 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Jenny and her brothers take a round-the-world trip and meet a ship's cat...and many other cats in various ports of call. I loved the glimpse of the way the world was back then. It kind of makes me wish I could take a steamer around the world like that though I suspect they don't take passengers anymore (and with piracy being what it is in some parts of the world, it's not necessarily a great idea. Captain Phillips anyone?)

Enjoyable story with not quite enough detail about the various ports. Oooo
Faith Justice
Jun 21, 2016 Faith Justice rated it really liked it
A sweet, delightfully written and illustrated children's book originally published in 1957 and reissued through The New York Review Children's Collection. A must read for cat lovers. Kiddie Lit was my favorite course in college. I don't know how I missed this one (or the whole Jenny Linksy and the Cat Club series) either as a child or as an educator. I thought I had read every horse, cat, and dog book published! Not sure how it would go over with the Captain Underpants crowd, but it struck a nos ...more
Becky
May 10, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Of the Jenny Linsky books I've read so far, Jenny Goes to Sea is probably my favorite. In this chapter book originally published in 1957, Jenny Linsky and her two brothers, Edward and Checkers, travel the world with their owner, Captain Tinker. These three cats become very good friends with Jack Tar, the ship's cat. These three leave the ship in company with Jack Tar at many of the ports including Capetown, Zanzibar, Singapore, and Bangkok. Adventures come oh-so-naturally.

I definitely recommend
Logan
Jan 23, 2010 Logan rated it really liked it
Another great book about Jenny! We read this right before Logan's first trip to Europe and he enjoyed it very much. Of course, there are some racial stereotypes here, given that the book was published decades ago, but nothing terrifically negative.
Shalee
Jul 21, 2008 Shalee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3-4 year olds
Shelves: read-aloud
Kara liked it. The length of the chapters were perfect for her...maybe even a paragraph or two too long but this was her first big book so she it was a little bit of a stretch. I LOVED having something longer to read to her aloud.
allie
May 04, 2010 allie added it
So far I think that this is an amazing book!
My friends in school who have read it even told me that it is an amazing book. I really do hope that is how it turns out to be. P.S. I would recomend reading it but it might be easy for you guys. P.S. P.S. I would read it even if it will be too easy.
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Lilly gave this book four stars. She liked that jenny always had her lucky scarf with them but she thought it was a little slow at times. I enjoyed the voyage around the world. I liked the maps and discussion of geography that they elicited.
Tati
Nov 11, 2009 Tati rated it liked it
My daughter loves this and always wants to read more. It is great for introducing some boat vocabulary. There is a part about palm reading. I think it's good that she knows what things like that are even though we don't believe in fortune telling...
Christina
Jan 22, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it
It's hard not to enjoy the Jenny books, and this one is as delightful as the rest. We especially enjoyed tracking the cats' progress around the globe. Personally, I enjoy the 1950s jargon the cats use. If Shirley Temple were a cat, she would sound just like Jenny. The kids liked it "ever so much!"
Sheri
Feb 28, 2015 Sheri rated it really liked it
The world travels were very entertaining, yet the characters and illustrations continue in charm and fun. Loving this collection of stories!
Nick
Apr 22, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it
Read it to Silas a second time. These books have some fun characters and Silas enjoyed reading about (and pronouncing repeatedly) Zanzibar, Singapore and Siam!
Erika
Sep 29, 2012 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: children

120926 Green Apple Books

Pleasant book about cats traveling around the world on a ship.
Cute pictures.
Mindy
Dec 31, 2014 Mindy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book just ad much as all the Jenny Linsky books. Every child should read these charming books.
h
Nov 01, 2014 h rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crazy cat ladies and children who appreciate fine, old fashioned things
Shelves: cats
wonderful values, adorable amateur art that sometimes somehow is also pure genius.

best quote: "I have a naughty paw!"

<3 these characters.
Amanda
Feb 21, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Very fun read aloud with my 4 year old! We enjoyed sailing the world with the little black cat. There will be more Jenny Linsky books in our future!
Fyrespark
Fyrespark rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2009
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Wendyb13
Wendyb13 rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2008
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Amy Wishman Nalan
Amy Wishman Nalan rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Elizabeth Bryant
Elizabeth Bryant rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2009
Laura Z
Laura Z rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Kingdom of Carbonel (Carbonel #2)
  • The Storm
  • The Man Who Lost His Head (Picture Puffins)
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Legend of Sleeping Bear
  • Little Bo
  • Wee Gillis
  • Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #3)
  • The Mousewife
  • Nim at Sea
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society
  • Bel Ria: Dog of War
  • Tashi and the Dancing Shoes (Tashi, #8)
  • Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке
  • Marven of the Great North Woods
  • McDuff's New Friend
Esther Averill (1902-1992) began her career as a storyteller drawing cartoons for her local newspaper. After graduating from Vassar College in 1923, she moved first to New York City and then to Paris, where she founded her own publishing company. The Domino Press introduced American readers to artists from all over the world, including Feodor Rojankovsky, who later won a Caldecott Award. In 1941, ...more
More about Esther Averill...

The Cat Club (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Cat Club
  • The School for Cats
  • Jenny's First Party
  • Jenny's Moonlight Adventure (New York Review Children's Collection)
  • When Jenny Lost Her Scarf