Blank-133x176
一人の男が飛行機から飛び降りる [Hitor...

Barry Yourgrau

一人の男が飛行機から飛び降りる [Hitori No Otoko Ga Hikōki Kara Tobioriru]

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The book that put Barry Yourgrau on the literary map, A Man Jumps Out of an Airplaneis a circus of surreal, impish beauty, and a headstand of everyday reality.

Ever dreamed of strolling through a Dalí print? Or stepping into a fairy tale? Open A Man Jumps Out of an Airplaneand experience the rush of having reality yanked from underfoot.
This is Barry Yourgrau's debut book, t

400 pages
Published 1999 by 新潮社 (first published November 30th 1983)

Be the first to ask a question about 一人の男が飛行機から飛び降りる [Hitori No Otoko Ga Hikōki Kara Tobioriru]

Chaz
Oct 10, 2008 Chaz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Short story surreal fantasy fiction fans
This is truly a fun/carnivallike collection of short surreal stories -- between 500 and about 1000 words each. Anyone looking for an escape from reality or a tool to guide your own daydreams will really enjoy this compilation. I kept thinking of these stories as a swim inside a Dali painting, interwoven with Phish soundscapes, Sesame Street ish characters who have Playboy tendencies.

There's some really interesting scenarios; a man goes inside of a cow on a bet -- a guy with a last cigarette on e...more
Brendan
A true masterpiece, this collection of flash fiction is like a smorgasbord of rich and exotic desserts, each sweeter and more colorful than the previous.

While absolutely absurdist in content, Mr. Yourgrau gives us a lot to ponder and analyze in this series of dream-like episodes. A true treasure that should be shared and savored.
Suzanneyada
Surreal short stories. And I mean short. Each one is anywhere from 1-4 pages long. But they go much deeper in their metaphors. A sampling of opening lines from the stories: "A man climbs into a cow on a bet." "It's snowing in the living room." "A man comes home and finds his wife in bed with a squirrel." "On the bus, I meet a guy who says his hobby is jails."

It's poetry and prose, fiction but more than fiction. It's a short, quick, trippy read. Though there's too many stories about naked girls t...more
Charlaralotte
I think these short short stories would make good songs. The Beatles could have used them for lyrics. Not sure they work so well as short short stories.

I did love "The Joke:" A mother and son both decide to wear disguises when they meet. And neither can understand why the other is looking so weird. It haunts their relationship forever.

Otherwise, I'd rather read something by Yourgrau that lasts a bit longer & develops into something substantial. This book wreaks of flippancy. Or maybe I'm ju...more
Maryka
Nov 17, 2008 Maryka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction
Barry Yourgrau writes down those dreams you forget when the alarm goes off. I love the
spareness of his style--most of these stories are a page to a page-and-a-half long--
and the weirdness of content. After reading a few, you easily slip into a slightly surreal dimension and its logic soon feels quite comfortable. It's the refreshing sorbet between
courses of standard fiction.
Hilary
Dec 21, 2007 Hilary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like weird things
OMG, SO weird. It's like every weird dream you've ever had written down in detail. People made of snowballs, frogs getting back at you. A fun, light read -- moderately creepy. :)
Kathryn Born
The greatest book of short stories I ever read. I used to study this book, reading it over and over, trying to figure out how to write like that.

Keith Davis
Yourgrau's minimalist stories read like transcribed dreams; like dreams they have their own internal logic while being completely surreal.
Jen
These stories remind me of snapshots that might be shared by Bukowski, if Bukowski was still twisted, but less of an asshole.
Emily Detrick
Yourgrau stories are like Jack Handy - only read one or two at a time or they lose their magic.
Richard
. hate to trash talk but this is a very lazy book.
marekoromo
荒唐無稽な話のようで、ああ、こういう夢見るなと共感出来る所も。話の飛び方も夢の中の特徴がよく書かれている。
Kate
Pretty good second book from Yourgrau, like candy.
Corey
When he's good he's very very good.
I Watts
I Watts marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Storyheart
Storyheart marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Victor Leme
Victor Leme marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Erika Schoeps
Erika Schoeps marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Mike Santana
Mike Santana marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
“I can never remember my dreams, so Barry Yourgrau’s stories are a pretty good substitute"
— David Byrne

Barry Yourgrau is a writer and multimedia performer. His books WEARING DAD'S HEAD and A MAN JUMPS OUT OF AN AIRPLANE are considered classics of short-short fiction. As performer he starred in the indie-film version of his book THE SADNESS OF SEX, has appeared variously on MTV, and workshopped...more
More about Barry Yourgrau...
The Sadness of Sex Wearing Dad's Head Nastybook Haunted Traveler: An Imaginary Memoir A Man Jumps Out of an Aeroplane & Wearing Dad's Head