Start by marking “Panicology” as Want to Read:
Panicology

Panicology

2.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

What exactly are your chances of being struck by a meteorite?

Think you're having less sex than the French?

How high will sea levels actually rise?

We live in an increasingly uncertain world. There's so much to worry about it is often hard to know what to really panic about. But stay calm! For Panicology is the perfect answer to the conundrums and questions that bedevil moder

Published (first published February 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Panicology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Panicology

Melody
Aug 29, 2009 Melody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should have backed away slowly when I saw the blurb that started "In the spirit of Freakonomics" because I didn't much like that either.

This is a cute pop-science explanation of statistics, the media and why we as a culture have such difficulty understanding what our risks for various things actually are. Fun but ultimately too simple. Might be helpful for people who watch the TV news a lot.
Boris Limpopo
Jun 03, 2012 Boris Limpopo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aldersey-Williams, Hugh e Simon Briscoe (2009). Panicology: Two Statisticians Explain What’s Worth Worrying About (and What’s Not) in the 21st Century. New York: Skyhorse. 2009. ISBN 9781602396449. Pagine 304. 10,30

Quello di cui questo libro ha da dire è ben riassunto dal sottotitolo: liberamente traducibile in “Due statistici spiegano di che cosa preoccuparsi (e di che cosa invece no) nel XXI secolo.” Ancora di più ci aiuta la sinossi resa disponibile da Amazon:

What exactly are your chances o
Sam
This is a fairly interesting book that attempts to cover all the things that people fret, worry and panic about and tries to explain why the media portrays events and risks and what the reality behind these are, although sadly it doesn't always succeed. This is partly because it makes huge assumptions about what concerns the reader (admittedly there will be bits that 'appeal' to everyone but not everything in here is relevant to all...either that or I worry far far too little!) and partly becaus ...more
Maddie
Mar 10, 2016 Maddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this books plays a bit fast and loose with the word 'panic' (Panini stickers, really?), it's a great collection of reasons not to read the Daily Mail (though it also shows that no media outlet is infallible). Definitely a great book for a sceptic.
Magdalene Lim
I was quite sorely disappointed by this book that has a lovely cover and synopsis. "Why worry in ignorance when you can be a happy, informed sceptic?"

The read did make me a little more informed but not any happier. It read like Micro Trends but the topics the writers have brought up for discussion do not interest me much. Asteroids, UFOs, underpaid women, viruses, dying cinemas. Err, not interested. If I were to conduct a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) analysis for this book, my net prom
Anna Marie
Jan 01, 2015 Anna Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-ebooks, 2014
The writers of this book rank the panic (public hype), the risk & your own ability to do something/anything about the items that they cover. From declining birth rates to asteroids destroying life on Earth, how realistic is the danger and what it can mean to the human race. It's an interesting read & makes you think about how much self - interest is involved in modern news "headlines." The last chapter covers actions you can take to determine if there is an actual risk associated with a ...more
Nick Davies
I enjoyed what I read of this - chapters about how the media exaggerates risk and danger, and creates public panic about statistically improbable or unproven issues. It did get a little 'samey' half way through and I wanted to read fiction instead, so I abandoned this and may come back to it. Interesting subject, could have been better written.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
It has taken me WEEKS to read the first half of this book, but I don't think it's the fault of the book. I think it's not a good idea for me to try to read a book on statistics in the summer! There are some really interesting parts, and I'd like to get back to it sometime, but I'm not going to try to force myself to keep reading it right now.
Sarah Clinch
Panicology had the potential to be a good book, the idea was pretty sound, sadly the actual writing of the book lets it down somewhat. One of the authors appears to write coherently whilst the other rather struggles. Numerous paragraphs within the sections of this book seem to fail to make any clear point at all.
Jethin
Oct 20, 2014 Jethin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the ebola loose out there this books makes a lot of sense. Keep Calm and Carry Forward
Tom
Nov 16, 2009 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
borrowed from BCPL: due 2009.1114
renewed: due 2009.1208ish
Bradley Hendriks
Bradley Hendriks rated it it was ok
May 07, 2016
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Isaiah
Isaiah marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Anson Wun
Anson Wun rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Rammi
Rammi rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Tavo
Tavo rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2015
Ketan Shah
Ketan Shah marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Louis
Louis rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2015
Clair
Clair rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Nick
Nick added it
Jan 17, 2015
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Beck
Beck rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2014
Deborah Hibbard
Deborah Hibbard rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
David Leary
David Leary rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014