Philadelphia Fire

Philadelphia Fire

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From “one of America’s premier writers of fiction” (New York Times) comes this novel inspired by the 1985 police bombing of a West Philadelphia row house owned by the back-to-nature, Afrocentric cult known as Move. The bombing killed eleven people and started a fire that destroyed sixty other houses. At the center of the story is Cudjoe, a writer and exile who returns to h...more
Published January 26th 2005 by Mariner Books (first published August 1st 1990)

Dave
This should have been a better book. Ostensibly about the police bombing of the MOVE headquarters in West Philly, 1985, Wideman devotes only about 40 pages of the novel to the event and the people involved. There's a rambling take on a production of the The Tempest, a businessman's suicide, rat shooting, and Mykonos, with some solid descriptions of basketball and Philly itself, but after the first few dozen pages Wideman apparently loses interest in his chief topic and then circuitously wanders...more
J. Trott
So it is with a heavy heart that I appoint but two stars to this book. It has rhapsodic prose, a few characters I could really see, believe. It is about Philadelphia, and it's children, and it's race issues. It sounds like a book that I would love.

Unfortunately, it has no plot. None whatsoever. You might compare it to Ulysses or a Woolf. However, this particular book starts with a tight one hundred pages of plot. Then the perspective shifts, I believe the voice is actually the author? and then i...more
Patrick
A poignant tale about being a black man in America. Surprisingly, the MOVE fire is not the main thrust of the story. The novel focuses more on the conflicted feelings of the author when he returns to his old neighborhood to investigate the story of the fire. The novel is built around the May 13, 1985 fire that killed 11 people, including children, from the MOVE organization.

The author explores the inner conflict of growing up in the ghetto and living as an adult in a largely white world, as a co...more
a book that i really wanted to read. i finished it about a week and a half ago. though i use the term finished lightly. i wanted to book to learn more about the 1985 bombing of the MOVE organization here in philly. it didn't really tell me much at all. it was more about west philly and how it's changed or not changed over the past 40ish years. which is all well and good and something that would interest me. but not the way this book was written. it was very stream of conciousness and jumpy. i co...more
Patricia
Winner of the PEN/Faulkner award. IF stream-of-consciousness writing is your thing, take a stab at it. Talk about angry, lost, and alienated. The different voices in this novel about the true May 1985 bombing of radical militant group MOVE's territory in Philadelphia (orchestrated by the mayor and city) shows the repercussions of the unconscionable act within the community. I didn't get where Wideman was going throughout the book and felt lost myself (but maybe that was the point). Read for a bo...more
Jacque
Nov 09, 2011 Jacque rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who has read The Tempest with more than the customary post-colonial appreciation
John Edgar Wideman's work is unparalleled in his generation. His lyrical prose, executed in a virtuoso stylistic range that might fairly be characterized as T. S. Eliot in Trenchtown, serves as a vehicle for searching inquiries into personal identity that have won him two PEN/Faulkner awards. If I could sit down to dinner with one living author, Wideman would be the man.
Matt O'Brien
May 25, 2007 Matt O'Brien rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: sure
ok, so i'd like to write that i loved it. in my opinion, this is like faulkner, or moby dick or something. yeah, you should read it. you're going to appreciate the hell out of it, because it's splendid, but let's be honest, it is work. it takes a little while to get the rhythm of it and to hit your stride.
John Pappas
Like an urban Faulkner, Wideman details urban decay as a metaphor for the spiritual decay in 1980s America and, in this allegory, uses the 1985 bombing of a MOVE house by state police as a metaphor for the oppression of state control over blacks in America. As complex and engaging as Ellison's Invisible Man.
Masked
this book is hard as hell to read, but worth the trouble. a fictionalized account of the bombing of the MOVE house in philly in 1985 (by the national guard, not some random folks) as sorted out by a writer returning to the community after a long absence and great distance.
John Watson
Using tastefully crafted phrases, John Wideman talks about the devastating social/political effect of the bombs droped on a Philadelphia housing project. Wideman sings a sad and complex song that can take a reader's breath away.
Wojtek
Ingenious. Wideman crushed me once again. The images he produces seriatim engulf your consciousness completely. His language is so vivid that you end up hearing his voice whispering the novel in your ear.
Katie McNichols
I keep reading this over and over. It's so good. There's echos of Shakespeare in here. It is also increasingly difficult to find anything on the MOVE organization, so, I love this. Check it out.
Paul
I read this book at university during my degree course. I really didn't like it. I ended up skipping whole pages, which didn't seem to make it any more incomprehensible.
Rob
Intense examination of race, class, and urban decay and despair... If you remember the bombing of MOVE in Philly, you'll want to read this book.
Joey
Part Pynchon, Part Leyner - but lacking the intricacy of the former and the absurd hilarity of the latter. Still a fun read though.
Max P
Very excellent and unique. A challenging and edgy book that is still entertaining and satisfying in a traditional way.
Pete
so far so good, although it is kind of a "backstage" novel. the black american non-crazy martin amis: GIVE IT UP
Tom
Sep 26, 2007 Tom rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Kevin Kralik
Impressionism lives. SEPTA is gross. Never underestimate the intellectual quality of Park Slope trash.
Susan
Apr 19, 2013 Susan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Finished quickly because I got bored and stopped reading. I hardly ever give up on a book.
Marybeth
“When you choose to live in a city, you also are choosing a city to die in.”
Gerri
Apr 17, 2011 Gerri marked it as to-read
I have not read this book yet. How does it rank with his other books?
Irus
POETIC. Fall in love with the language, the imagery, and the story.
Nakia
I tried, but I couldn't finish this.
jeremy
city of brotherly love?
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2014
Daniel Grear
Daniel Grear is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
  • The Bear Comes Home
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
  • The Old Forest and Other Stories
  • The Chaneysville Incident
  • How German is It (Wie Deutsch ist es)
  • The Barracks Thief
  • War Trash
  • The Collected Stories
  • Postcards
  • Operation Shylock: A Confession
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club
  • Middle Passage
  • Eight Men: Short Stories
20703
A widely-celebrated writer and the winner of many literary awards, he is the first to win the International PEN/Faulkner Award twice: in 1984 for Sent for You Yesterday and in 1990 for Philadelphia Fire. In 2000 he won the O. Henry Award for his short story "Weight", published in The Callaloo Journal.

In March, 2010, he self-published "Briefs," a new collection of microstories, on Lulu.com. Stories...more
More about John Edgar Wideman...
Brothers and Keepers: A Memoir Sent for You Yesterday Damballah The Cattle Killing The Best American Short Stories 1996