Start by marking “Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb” as Want to Read:
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  20,998 ratings  ·  283 reviews
Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published January 20th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
212th out of 3,261 books — 4,840 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
30th out of 458 books — 475 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear.
Dustin Luke Nelson
I wanted to like "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." I'd heard the mumurs. Read the hype. EVERYONE has been talking about it. While it wasn't bad, it doesn't deliver on the hype.

I started off enjoying the book just fine. The first act is solid. Meandering a bit, maybe, but I was with Mr. Perkins. (Yeah, Perkins. Not Seuss. We'll get to that.) But then I get a little lost. The narrative thread is weak. As soon as you get to know one monkey they bring in another. Now, I'm not opposed to having a large
midnightfaerie
With Dr. Seuss like illustrations, the best part of this book was the rhyming rhythmic poetry that made the kids repeat every page. They added their own drumbeats by beating on the table and loved the bring colors that accompanied each page. One our whole family could enjoy.
R.
The biological limitations of anthropoids. A hand, and another hand. Fingers on each. The thumb; the opposable thumb. An anatomy lesson for your little tommy, your little leslie and, ultimately, a primate primer, a reminder, por vous.
Suzanne
27 years later my kids can still recite the verses. My husband always found the last pages a disturbing image ....millions of fingers, millions of thumbs, millions of monkeys drumming on drums. A classic.
Books Ring Mah Bell
hands play fiddles zum zum zum. hand in hand more monkeys come!

I hope someday my son will appreciate all the books I read to him.
Sean Gibson
This book gets bonus points for being my son's first favorite book (granted, he was all of 12 months old at the time). This tome's got rhythm, though--I'll give it that...
Brooke Leone
Again Dr. Seuss did an amazing job with this book. This is not something I would recommend to someone older than 1st grade, because of all the Dr. Seuss books I have ever read I think this may be the most simple one- definitely written for early readers. The text is filled with onomatopoeia, which is very helpful to young readers. The illustrations are also very different than what Dr. Seuss has done in some of his more poplar books but that doesn't make this any less of a good book.

This book i
Dree Kinder
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins is a children's book for beginners. The book is written in a language that is meant for younger children. It includes rhyming, which is an interactive and fun way for children to get engaged in a book. Perkins does a great job with using fun words and being repetitive throughout the book. The phrase "Dum ditty, Dum ditty, Dum dum dum" is used repetitively throughout the book. Children are able to relate to this phrase each time it occurs in the book.

The i
Samantha Fate
Great book that involves different sounds to get younger children engaged. It also helps children learn about different parts of their body and as you read you can ask them to point to what their hands, fingers and thumbs are. Of course as any other early children's books the illustrations are very colorful and show a lot of detail in all the monkeys. This is a great book for children to follow along and maybe even act out the rhymes. It has a great rhythm to it. When you chant the story out lou ...more
Shawn Thrasher
It ain't Shakespeare, but 35 years or so later after first reading this, "Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum" still rings in my ear and buzzes through my brain, which is more than I can say for Keats or Shelley. The question remains: who the hell was Al Perkins? The man has sold a bazillion "bright and early books for beginning readers" but his Wikipedia is two sentences long. It doesn't even say if he's dead or alive! He also wrote Hugh Lofting's Travels of Doctor Dolittle which I totally dug as a ...more
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
This is my toddler son's absolute favourite book. The rythm is intoxicating, the story simple, and the illustrations engaging. Recommended for every toddler under the sun.
Skylar Burris
This is one of those rare children's books I really don't mind reading over and over and over again, because it is so wonderfully rhythmic. I could chant it in my sleep.
Candice
I loved this book when I was little. This one along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to read w/rhythm. My boys have all loved it as well.
Shannon
This was my daughter's favorite book when she was little. I must have read it hundreds of times to her. Very fun to read.
Julene
This one is way fun to read to kids. It has few words per page and is really rhythmic. Funny pictures. Love it.
Dehlia
We read this over and over, sometimes with our drum and tambourine and sometimes without. Great rhythm!
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 Marshall rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with hands and fingers
At first glance, you think this is a Dr. Seuss book. But it ain't. However, it does have that Suessian-beatnik-I-grok-kids'-imaginations-and-words-that-rhyme feel about it. I don't know how we got it. Books have a way of just appearing on our daughter's book shelves or in unstable stacks beside our bed.

If Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb has more than 40 words in it - 40 different words - I'll eat my hat. You get a lot of "hands" and "fingers" and "thumbs" - duh, look at the title. But there's also a
Amy Musser
This book is full of fingers, hands, drums, and monkeys. First, just a few monkeys playing drums, then crowds of monkeys, and then millions of monkeys in a riotous drumming celebration! There are big monkeys, small monkeys, monkeys with banjos, and monkeys with fiddles.

Much like Go, Dog, Go!, this beginner reader is more concerned with repetition of words than it is with plot. Although it’s meant to be a book for early readers to read on their own, it’s fun to read to younger kids as well. Kids
Angela
Jul 21, 2014 Angela added it
Shelves: books-for-kiddo
This is a classic Dr. Seuss book - even though it is by Al Perkins. The book is a blast to read with my 1 year old. Today we were walking up the stairs and I happened to say "Hand hand fingers thumb" and she went back downstairs and grabbed her copy of the book. I then had to read it twice before we could go back upstairs to start dinner! She seems to love the rhymes and it is a lot of fun to read to her.
Hayle Lincoln
This book is good for learning how to read, and sounding out words. I also liked how the book consistently spelled out numbers, I think seeing numbers in written form is really important for children. I would keep this book in my personal library in my classroom so students would have access to it whenever they want/need to read a book of this nature. Again this is a great book for beginning readers, and I think the illustrations would help keep the children engaged.

Perkins, A. (1989). Hand, ha
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - A monkey and his pals use his hands fingers and thumb to drum
Annotation - This book has a great amount of repetition and introduces body parts.
Age appropriateness 3-8 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Vocabulary - This is a good way to introduce body parts.
Opinion - This is an average story but kids might like the visuals with the many monkeys drumming.
Mary Wirt
This is such a fun book. Easy to get a young reader involved by drumming and humming, and repeating along, this book is great as a read-aloud for young children or as a beginning reader book. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I might just have to add it to my personal collection.
Pamela
May 08, 2011 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents with toddlers
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" by Al Perkins is a cute, little book I received at my baby shower...my daughter loves this book! Rhyming is using along with the text for this Bright and Early Board Book. Eric Gurney illustrated, and the pictures definitely go along with the words...they are so funny! My daughter just loves the pictures of the movies beating the drums.
As a parent, I really liked this book because I feel like it's a great resource for your toddler, especially if they are learning how
Candace Kovar
Nice book to use to talk about hands and fingers, also had a good rhyming portion to the book. Would be good for young readers.

Activity for kids would be teaching to keep a beat from the rhythm of the story.
Rosa Cline
This is a really sweet "Bright and Early book" for beginning readers. You can almost 'sing' it the rhyming rhythmic lines are nice to read. The monkeys in the book are funny so young children will like them.
Heidi Pepin
Sometimes my 20 month old will actually pull out this book and "read" it to himself. The words drum drum come up a lot and it is clear that he enjoys this book and the sounds that go with it.
Aik Kielch
We will learn which finger is the thumb! :). My daughter and I both love this book. I remember how fun it was to read to my brother 25 years ago and it is just as fun to read to my daughter now!
Caitlin
I don't like monkeys. I am basically convinced they are entirely evil. But this book, despite the monkeys, despite the lack of plot, has really great rhythm.

It's like Poe's "The Bells" but for preschoolers.

And even though it doesn't have a "plot," now that I think of it, it does have rising action, a climax, and enough of a resolution that it doesn't keep you hanging, unlike The Nose Book, which is all fun and games until it deflates completely.

I'd consider using this in poetry curriculum, to br
Kat
My son loved this book as well as I. I can also see why it what recommended to us because of his speech delay. It's a cute short book about monkeys, their fingers, and their drums.
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Big Dog...Little Dog
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...
The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R)) The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books) The Nose Book Tubby and the Lantern Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)