Start by marking “Hatred: The Psychological Descent Into Violence” as Want to Read:
Hatred: The Psychological Descent Into Violence

Hatred: The Psychological Descent Into Violence

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A renowned psychoanalyst offers a clear-eyed, thought-provoking examination of humankind's most destructive emotion, and the seductive power it has to tear our world apart
Published April 27th 2009 by PublicAffairs (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hatred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hatred

Gregg Sapp
I believe that in today’s online, distributed social environment, it is easier to make enemies than in the past. Anonymity of expression permits, even encourages vitriolic dialog, and the immediacy of both positive and negative response fuels an intensifying rancor. Ideologues communicate only with kindred spirits, who incite and legitimize their common prejudices. Divisions harden. Passions escalate. Civility doesn’t stand a chance.

Still, I wonder, perhaps naively, if Internet haters aren’t ju
Caidyn
DNF on pg.50

Does no one else find it funny I DNFed a book about hatred? Because, through the rage I feel, it is a bit ironic. I did not like, perhaps even *gasp* hated, this book on hatred.

This was written in the years immediately after 9/11, and it shows. It really shows. And, it pissed me off to no end, even in the few pages I got into this book. That was the most egregious thing that was wrong with this book, in my opinion. I could find a niggle about there not being any citations, let alone
Ivi_reads
Dec 24, 2015 Ivi_reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i had to read this for my english final, the teacher assigned a couple of chapters however i couldnt read them without having a full understanding of his theory.
what he wrote in this book are not incorrect yet some of his points lack some sort of explanation/ backup (in my opinion)
Amy
Apr 08, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really well executed book looking at the psychiatry of hatred and how it interplays with prejudice, bigotry, scapegoating, etc. Well worth the read for anyone looking at the individual roles during intractable conflict where there may be an element of hatred at play.
David Withun
Oct 16, 2012 David Withun rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I had high hopes for this book, but, to be honest, I was very disappointed. Dr. Gaylin spends a great deal of the book repeating the same idea in as many different ways as he can possibly think of and engaging in tangents on a variety of subjects, including history, religion, and international relations, of which his knowledge his woefully deficient. Even when he does stay on topic and on point, I must express my disappointment and disagreement with his ideas, which seem to draw very heavily on ...more
Clearly making distinctions between paranoid schizophrenics, paranoid psychopaths and paranoid societies, as well as the necessary conditions for scapegoating and moving from blame to violence, Dr. Gaylin does a a good job trying to explain the Holocaust, Al-Queda, single terrorist actions and current and historical genocides. In the end, this topic is just too big for 247 pages, and would best be used in a group setting, where people can read, process and discuss it.
Trisha Swed
Oct 06, 2013 Trisha Swed rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the worst book ever, and can be insulting, I also do not appreciate the religious undertones in the reasoning behind his claims.
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 25, 2016
Kirsten Raynor
Kirsten Raynor rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Χριστόφ
Χριστόφ marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Jessica Svec peterson
Jessica Svec peterson is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Zyho Sinaga
Zyho Sinaga marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Gabe Philips
Gabe Philips rated it it was ok
May 05, 2016
M
M added it
May 16, 2016
ShammaAJ
ShammaAJ marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sara Laor
Sara Laor rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Daniela Moyer
Daniela Moyer rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
mathilda_craft
mathilda_craft marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Willow Lalonde
Willow Lalonde marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Gino Mazzella
Gino Mazzella marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Angel Bondeenka
Angel Bondeenka rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Cenedra
Cenedra rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Eden Prosper
Eden Prosper rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Astrid Salas
Astrid Salas marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015