Start by marking “Midwife of the Blue Ridge” as Want to Read:
Midwife of the Blue Ridge

Midwife of the Blue Ridge

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  638 ratings  ·  128 reviews
From the villages of eighteenth-century Scotland to the colonies of America, Christine Blevins takes us on a richly imagined, perilous adventure, as one woman seeks the life she deserves...

They called her Dark Maggie for her thick black hair, but the name also had a more sinister connotation. As the lone survivor of an attack on her village, she was thought to be cursed—an
Published August 5th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Midwife of the Blue Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwife of the Blue Ridge

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
4 1/2 Stars!

Setting: Scottish Highlands-Blue Ridge Mountains

It's not often we pick up a book and it immediately draws you in, and holds you to the very end. Midwife Of The Blue Ridge did that for me. And what made it even better was the characters in the story. Maggie is a heroine I will not long forget. Maggie's story starts out in a village of eighteen-century Scotland, as a young child that has lost everything when her village was attacked. As the battle of Culloden Moor rages around her, she
Carey
In 1746 the battle of Culloden in the Scottish Highlands nearly wiped out the Highland Clans. This is the story of Maggie Duncan. At seven years old she was the sole survivor when her village was destroyed by the English army because the villagers had aided the Highlanders. She is able to escape and then helps a mortally wounded soldier find his way home. Luckily for Maggie the soldier's wife is a midwife and she adopts Maggie, raises and educates her while passing along her healing skills.

When
Mary
Jan 12, 2014 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Into the Wilderness
Maggie Duncan sells herself into four years of indentured servitude to pay her passage from Scotland to America, where she hopes to make a new life for herself. Her contract is purchased by Seth Martin whose weak and very pregnant wife needs Maggie's healing skills. The Martin homestead is in Blue Ridge mountains far into the backcountry, near Indian territory, where daily life is a continuous struggle.

I love good historical fiction, and the blurb made this book sound appealing. Historical adven
SheLove2Read
This is the first novel by Christine Blevins and she debuts as a winner.

Maggie experiences the murder of her parents after the battle of Culloden. In running away she helps a wounded soldier to return home to his wife to die. His wife is a renowned Midwife and takes her in as her own and teaches her everything she knows. Years later when the midwife dies of "the lung disease", Maggie is cast out of the village as a witch. She ends up in Ireland living hand to mouth and eventually sells herself
Cheryl
Years ago when Hannah Cameron’s husband, Alan came back from the war wounded he wasn’t alone. Alan was accompanied by a little girl named Maggie. Maggie was no ordinary girl. She was the only lone survivor of her town’s massacre. Now the years have past and Maggie is all grown up and Hannah and Alan are gone. The townsfolk have a name for Maggie; they call her “Dark Maggie”. At first when people started calling her that it was because she had dark hair but now the name has a whole new meaning... ...more
Shell Schroth
It started out great... Had all the elements I look for in a book. History, Struggle, Friendship, Loyalty, and Love.

An awesome beginning, a wee Scottish lass full of spunk and brains signs up as an indentured servant, heading for the New World to escape the hardships of Scotland after Culloden. Authentic Scottish prose, Hilarious and Charming banter, and an overall feeling of possibility and hope.

Its beginninf was reminiscent to some of my favorites stories, and was succesful in grabbing my at
Natalie
I actually REALLY liked this book, but rated it lower because of the bad language and amount of sexuality. I'm glad it stayed true to the raw nature of life in that time, to a certain extent. However, I don't enjoy reading foul language over and over. I was so drawn in by the story when the language started that I just tried to overlook it (it became increasing foul), so I could finish reading the amazing storyline.
I feel like I learned a LOT about herbal remedies and very interesting tidbits of
Ruth
As the sole survivor of a vicious attack on her village, Maggie Duncan is viewed by many in Black Corries, Scotland as a harbinger of bad luck. But Hannah Cameron, grateful to young Maggie for bringing her mortally wounded husband home to her, adopts the young girl. Hannah is a midwife and she soon teaches her healing skills to Maggie.

After Hannah’s death, Maggie finds herself in a difficult position. The people of Black Corries are very superstitious and blame her for Hannah’s death. Believing
Stacey
The male protagonist wasn't Nathaniel, and the setting wasn't Paradise.

In my opinion, this book sits somewhere in between Shadowbrook by Beverley Swerling (unreadable, the characters were so flat and the storylines so numerous), and my favorite book ever: Into the Wilderness, by Sara Donati (pretty much my standard for colonial/frontier historical fiction).

It follows "Dark Maggie," a young Scottish immigrant to the colonies. Beautiful, headstrong, intelligent, and a skilled midwife, she gets i
Patricia dumas
Fabulous book. Should not of been presented with the "Rosemary Rogers" type cover for it is so much out of that league. It's better.

A beautiful, realistic portray of 18th cent live in Virginia. The mountains, the birds,plants, animals. It all weaves together so well.A very well thought out book. Not a dumb romance book. :-) Not at all!

I LOVE the historic details of primitive medicine and herbology. Willow Bark tea! Where aspirin comes from! A sense of camaraderie takes place in the Roundabout ar
Maddie Jaques
This book was really fast paced, but all in all, was a good book. It lets you into the historical side of what was going on during these times while making characters that you actually want to see succeed. I like that the author didn't shy away from the brutality of the Indians and of what life was like for the settlers. However, I'm 30 weeks pregnant so the part where Naomi died may or may not have made me sob like a little girl. (Note to self: I am really hormonal...)

Thing I loved the most? A
Stacey Graham
Aug 23, 2008 Stacey Graham rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacey by: Mary Lewis
Well-researched and beautifully written, Midwife of the Blue Ridge doesn't shy away from the harsh realities that flavored life on the colonial frontier. Blevins' characters are swept away by circumstance yet still reveal the strength required to carry off the plot.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to readers thirsty for adventure in the New World's wild western frontier.
Jessica
I waffled between three and four stars. The main character was strong. Even the minor characters were strong. The setting was well done. I felt like the violence was somewhat gratuitous... SPOILER: Her rape is more fleshed out that her consensual lovemaking.

I also didn't think the Fword needed to be used so much. Granted it was around back then, but I don't think it was used as a swear word like it is now--and that was how it was used in the book.

Also, there is only one baby born in the book, w
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
i picked this up because of the cover, but stopped about halfway through in exasperation.
the hero is a lout.
the heroine is crass.
the setting is magnificent.

pg13 yellow and probably moving toward red or even R for sexual content. i don't know. that's why i stopped reading. ;)
Megan
I liked this book because the midwife is an indentured servant from Scotland. Ach Aye! Interesting account of the butchery of the new world, from both sides. Some herbology and holistic medicine, too.
Lori Mason
I don't usually read historic fiction - this was very good - a romance, but also a good story.
Kathy
Like Gabaldon's Outlander series, w/out the time travel
Christine
I started this book almost two weeks ago and just finished it the other day. Come to think of it, I don't know why it took me so long, especially because it was a really good read.

The story follows the life of a young Scottish woman named Maggie Duncan. As a child, her entire village was massacred, leaving Maggie an orphan. A local midwife adopts Maggie, but because of her history as the lone survivor, she is regarded with superstition by the rest of the townsfolk. She is considered un-marriage
Romance Novel TV
In 1763 Maggie Duncan crosses the ocean from Scotland arriving in Virginia as an indentured servant. She’s strong, smart, tough and she’s a midwife. Colonial Virginia isn’t for the faint of heart. Women have no rights, colonists own slaves, the Native American’s are being stripped of their lands. If you’re not a survivor, you’ll be dead in short order on the frontier.

Maggie has to endure not only another country, but the isolation of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the fact that she’s owned by anot
Christina
I enjoyed this a lot and at times struggled to put it down. "Maggie" the main character is definitely someone I'd like to sit down to pints w/ - she's also someone I'd trust to help me give birth. I found myself easily immersed in her life - her witnessing and surviving a massacre that claimed the lives of her family and her entire village in Scotland, her time learning midwifery, her journey to America and her struggles to adapt to American frontier life. It's been a very long time since I've r ...more
Wendi
Sep 23, 2008 Wendi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Individuals, book clubs
In a nutshell: I couldn't put it down - literally! Three nights in a row, my poor husband woke up around midnight to find me still reading in bed with a tiny light so I could finish the book! The story begins in 1746 Scotland, and continues in America 1763. The story surrounds Maggie Duncan, a young Scottish girl orphaned at an early age due to the massacre of her village by the English. After helping a wounded Scottish man to his home, she learns her skills as a midwife from his wife Hannah, wh ...more
Rachel
I picked this book up because I have several times heard it compared to Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series. And it is true that there are many similarities. The heroine is a healer who lives in the latter part of the 1700's (no time travel). She is originally from Scotland and makes her home in the frontier of colonial America. Like Gabaldon's books there is also plenty of rape, disturbingly graphic torture, general mayhem, and other details of colonial life.

However if I am to continue the compar
Siobian
When everyone in Maggie's village, including her family, is killed for lending aid to those who fought on the Highlander's side at the Battle of Culloden, seven-year old Maggie Duncan helps a wounded soldier find his way home and is taken in by his wife, Hannah. Hannah is the village midwife and teaches young Maggie her trade as well as knowledge about plants and healing. When Hannah dies, Maggie knows that she can no longer stay because of the mistrusting townspeople who believe her to be curs ...more
Angela Lynn Holland
Why I read this book: I am a historical fiction fan and it has been awhile since I have read one. I actually one a book by this author and went looking for other books written by her. The subject and time period also drew me in.

What I liked: I liked Maggie and how strong of a person she was no matter what problems she ran into. I also liked how Maggie and Tom came to be a couple but it they struggled to come to terms with loving each other. Maggie endured so much and just held her head up and w
Becky
I have to get my midwife story fix from time to time and this is my latest immersion into the subject.
A young Scottish apprentice midwife becomes an indentured servant in order to come to America in the mid 1700's. The heroine, Maggie finds herself in the middle of Indian territory in the frontier settlements of Virginia and beyond. She is a feisty character which ultimately serves her well in surviving her new life which is shown to be raw, harsh, and primitive.
The book is well-written though
Shannon
I loved this book! Maggie is an orphan in 18th-century Scotland. She learns midwifery and healing practices from her adoptive mother, Hannah. When Hannah dies, Maggie makes her way to Edinburgh and, later, to the Virginia colony.

This is the author's first novel and it's a fantastic first effort. She does a wonderful job of character development and manages multiple characters, dialogs, and accents with (apparently) little trouble. The author has a good command of history and of the culture of t
Jessica
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

The main character of Midwife of the Blue Ridge is Maggie, who was orphaned after a brutal attack on her Scottish village. She is taken in by Helen, a midwife who teaches Maggie her trade. After Helen's death, Maggie decides to go to America as an indentured servant. She is then purchased by a family that lives in an essentially undeveloped portion of Virginia. Maggie's new life in America is filled with advent
Sandra
Sep 17, 2008 Sandra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fiction, historical fiction,romance, colonial times
Historical fiction demands a great deal of a writer, not just in the way of accuracy of details and believable characters, but also a strong sense of time and place. Christine Blevins achieves this nicely in Midwife of the Blue Ridge. Dominated by a sense of adventure with a strong underlying romance that works its way through the story, it's a rewarding read.

Maggie Duncan, adopted by a midwife after surviving the destruction of her village in 1740s Scotland, finds herself an outcast when the mi
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Set in 18th century Scotland, Maggie Duncan is the sole survivor of a horrific massacre. She is taken in by a midwife and learns the woman's healing skills. After her foster mother's death, and seeing her own prospects for a happy life in Scotland dim, Maggie voluntarily goes to Colonial America as an indentured servant. What follows is an adventure beyond any she could have imagined.

Maggie is indentured to Seth Martin and his family. She finds love and acceptance within their world. Her skills
Rebecca
We are first introduced to Maggie when she helps a mortally wounded man get home to see his wife,Hannah, before he dies! She ends up staying on with the widow to learn about being a midwife! When Hannah gets sick Maggie starts to try to heal her also, unfortunatly the disease is too great and Hannah passes away. Before she goes she tells Maggie that it was always her dream to go to America as an indentured servant. After 4 years you can find your plot of land and livee a good life! Maggie toils ...more
  • Shadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of America
  • Seven Locks: A Novel
  • The Flower Reader
  • The Heretic's Wife: A Novel
  • The Notorious Mrs. Winston
  • A Rip in the Veil (The Graham Saga #1)
  • Waiting for the Queen: A Novel of Early America
  • Homeland
  • To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Midwife
  • Love Among the Rabble
Hello!

I am an author who writes what I love to read – historical adventure stories. My debut novel MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE (August 2008) takes the reader to the wilds of 18th century colonial America. This story was inspired by information unearthed researching family history.

My latest release, THE TORY WIDOW (April 2009) begins in 1775 in New York City at the eve of rebellion, and is the resul
More about Christine Blevins...
The Tory Widow The Turning of Anne Merrick