Start by marking “My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)” as Want to Read:
My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)

My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides #8)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,534 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews

Miss Caroline Ritter, accomplished flirt, acknowledgedbeauty, and ruined gentlewoman, offers lessons toany rich, noble lord too inept to attract a wife. Discardyour silly affectations and your garish clothing!Learn the art of witty conversation, elegant dancing,equestrian feats and irresistible seduction at theopera! With Miss Ritter's help, you can become themost sought-a

Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Fair Temptress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Fair Temptress

Dawn
Sometimes when you read historical fiction or any romance really one needs to suspend reality. To read My Fair Temptress as long as you let that go you will have a rather enjoyable story about Caroline and Jude falling in love.

The reason why you have to suspend belief is that the premise does not make sense. A Duke is concerned about his son not having a wife so he hires a woman that will teach him to flirt? Ok then the son, Jude, is a spy out for revenge chooses to act like an idiot, why he has
Kimberly
Caroline, an accomplished flirt who is a ruined gentlewoman forced to seek employment. Her only skill is flirting and she finds a job at the Academy of Distinguished Academy of Governesses. Her first job, teaching Jude Durant, Earl of Huntington, the most handsome and dangerous aristocrat in Regency London. He acts silly dressing in bright french clothes and pretends not to know anything about women as a cover to get information about his brother's assassins. Sparks fly between the teacher and t ...more
Raelene
Mar 23, 2015 Raelene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina Dodd My Fair Temptress
I had just finished a paranormal romance and was looking for something more lite to read. I perused my Kindle and came upon one of my favorite authors, Christina Dodd, and found a book that I had not yet read, My Fair Temptress Book 7 in the governess bride series. WOW, what a great story, it is most definitely a must read. I devoured this book in one day; she pulls you into the characters so that you must see what’s going to happen next, I could not put it down.
Shelly
Feb 29, 2016 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't think I was going to like this book at all. It started out very slow and I didn't care for any of the characters. But the pace picked up and by the end of the book the characters weren't quite as annoying.
Mical
Jan 06, 2010 Mical rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved The Book!!!!! A+
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 16, 2013 Oleta Blaylock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story moves away from the Russians as the primary protagonist to a small country that France want to absorb, Moricadia. The story is one of revenge and the search for justice for the killing of a beloved brother. Jude, Earl of Huntington, has dedicated himself to bringing the people that kill and burned his brother to justice. He of course blames himself because he wasn't there to save Michael. There are some very funny moments in this story were Jude is trying to be a dandy and dilettante ...more
Simeonberesford
Dec 28, 2010 Simeonberesford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, romance
I blame Fictionwise. Every now and then they offer a 100% discount on something SoI take it then it sits on my PDA for oh years until I happen upon it. In this case the book I happened upon was just too bad to stop reading. I was tempted to delete it but then the heroine saw the hero for the first time and I was caught up in OTT descriptions of manly thews and a strong jaw. Finally! I had discovered an archetypical bad romance. I had to continue and I am glad to say it got less and less believab ...more
Jaden
Dec 12, 2012 Jaden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Governess Brides book delivered by Christina Dodd. The woman is an expert at this sort of romance and her book prove it by being more well-written and plotted than the previous ones.

This addition to the series, is about a flamboyant dandy who seems superficial and naive to say the least. After his brother's death he returns to his family home being an absolute braggart and show-off especially regarding fashion. His father decides it's time to take action by assigning to a governess to te
Moira Fogarty
Several reviewers have commented on the absurdity of a plot whose central premise is a Duke hiring a disgraced woman to teach his son (an Earl) how to flirt, with the aim of getting a wife, so I won't harp on that except to say that of course any woman in Victorian England would marry a wealthy, titled, hot man - no matter how silly his conversation and couture. It's just an excuse to get H&H together with the necessary power imbalance and excuse to spend time together. Accept it and move on ...more
Abigail Stevens
_inbetween_
The latest of her books I read, knowing it was already from the bad final phase. The advantage of having no plot - the flirting is even less than the blurb says, and the espionage is peripheral - is that there is less of a mess than e.g. in "Greatest Lover". With the exception of two pronoun confusions and a scene happening after they said it had already happened, this is more clearly structured than Greatest Lover, her messiest book ever.
That might also be because it ends with a major cliff-han
Serban Georgiana
In acest volum al seriei ,facem cunostinta cu Caroline Ritter care este plasata guvernanta in casa unui conte pentru a-l invta arta seductiei si a flirtului pe fiul acestuia Jude Durant.
Poveste de dragoste este una cu un inceput ingenios , si inca o data Cristina Dodd, reuseste sa ma surprinda cu modul ei de a scrie.
Mi-au placut mult personajele acestei povesti,situatiile create au fost amuzante si credibile,iar faptul ca Jude poza in pozitia unui firfizon francez a facut deliciul acestui vol
Yessenia Andaverde
Such a funny and interesting story. The main characters were good, and the secondary were endearing. I liked this book very much and the ending was marvelous.

I am also wondering what will happen when Genevieve and Jude's brother meet. Love? Hate? Friendship?

And this book leaves the way free for the next, and me dying to follow in the series. It's incredible that after 9 books, the series are still this good.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part #7 of the Governess Brides series. Are they getting harder to like? The characters: Miss Caroline Ritter is a woman of the ton who was disgraced during her Season and has been a working outcast ever since. But she isn’t good at any work. Her only true skill lies in flirting, so she gets a position teaching an apparent idiot how to flirt. (I immensely enjoyed this part as a social commentary - if you raise a girl with the single goal of catching a husband, flirting may indeed be her only ski ...more
Dyanne
Sep 06, 2008 Dyanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Caroline Ritter, accomplished flirt, acknowledged beauty, and ruined gentlewoman, offers lessons to any rich, noble lord too inept to attract a wife. Discard silly affectations and garish clothing! Learn the arts of witty conversation, elegant dancing, equestrian feats and irresistible seduction at the opera! With Miss Ritter’s help, any awkward nobleman can become the most sought-after aristocrat at the ball!

Send your request to the Distinguished Academy of Governesses.

Please, absolutely n
Patria
Dec 11, 2010 Patria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christina-dodd
Christine
Apr 17, 2010 Christine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
There's no question that Christina Dodd can write steamy sex. Most of the time, she even comes up with decent characters and plot to go with it, but not this time.

I think I was put off right at the first, when introduced with a heroine whose only skill (in her own words) is flirting. I basically found her to be vapid and couldn't even bring myself to care that much that she had been ruined.

Then, the idea that a duke had hired a governess to teach his son to flirt so he could find a wife...real
Lynda
Sep 10, 2014 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the story of Jude and Carolyn. There were some good things in this book. I liked the introduction of Harry and I really liked the end where you are left wondering about Jude's brother Michael
Mary Vilarino
The characters are likeable if at times a little bland. The plot sounded interesting but didn't gel in the end so I was left a little disappointed in the end. Still a big fan however.
Beno
Apr 20, 2016 Beno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this story. I like the way Caroline kept being pushed and wronged until she finally pushed back. I wouldn't want to change anything in this story I loved it as it is.
RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
Beautiful but ruined heroine teaches foppish hero how to flirt with appropriate debutante per his dad's orders. Their flirting gets personal. In the meantime, Hero works undercover to find proof of the men who's responsible for his older brother's death.

This Dodd book could've been better. This wasn't as tightly-written as other Dodd books like Just The Way You Are, Close to You, and My Favorite Bride. The action-mystery interfered with Hero & heroine's sexual chemistry. Romance became more
Rachel Rogers
Good moments and bad moments. I read this in a break from mystery short stories to let my brain rest, and rest it did. More about the 1840s Home Office under Throckmorton's leadership. Jude acts the fop for 2 reasons: to ingratiate himself with 2 spies who he's trying to infiltrate for information about a plot (and also revenge himself against) and to honor his murdered brother. His family hires Caroline (shunned by society) to act as a governess of sorts to tone down his foppishness and find hi ...more
Dynasty Carfangnia
storyline doesn't make sense but overall average. maybe I'm just not a fan of historical romance?
Stephanie Bolen
Starts off slow but it was alright by the end.
Yunita Taman
Mar 20, 2016 Yunita Taman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Done with this book. Meskipun narasinya panjang dan alurnya lambat, tema mata-mata dan intrik membuat buku ini cukup seru dibaca. Sayang aksi serunya cuma ada di bagian akhir, juga ada beberapa yang kurang aku pahami soal hubungan antara Caroline dan Jude yang sempat break beberapa bulan. Jika bukan karena ditulis dengan baik, tema tentang governess ahli memikat ini pastinya sulit untuk diterima logika. Secara umum, novel ini cukup baik dan cukup recomended buat dibaca pecinta setia hisrom.
Amarilli Settantatre
Sulla scia delle rivisitazioni in salsa vittoriana, qui la Dodd imbastisce una sorta di “My fair Lady” al contrario, con la Governante-Pigmalione che deve educare e raddirizzare il rampollo restio a sistemarsi e dare un erede alla sua nobile famiglia.
La storia è abbastanza insipida, con l’onnipresente Throckmorton e i suoi giochi di spie (stavolta almeno ci vengono risparmiati i russi, perché i nemici vengono dalla Moricandia..), e anche le scene hot sono assolutamente dimenticabili.
Christina Pikas
Jan 19, 2014 Christina Pikas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd read all these but I guess not. Christina Dodd is a favorite in regency or post regency romance. This was enjoyable but maybe not her best.
Donna
Feb 28, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Caroling Ritter's reputation has been sullied by an unprincipaled gentleman. Her father threw her out and she has few skills to support herself so she takes on the job to teach the Earl of Huntington to flirt as his father is willing to pay to have someone make his son more marriageable.She soon learns the problem isn't in the Earl's ability to flirt but his deliberate provocation of marriage candidates as he doesn't wish to marry. He is busy trying to find his brother's killers.
Deanna
Sep 05, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nol
Another great book in the series. I love when a book transports you to a different time and place, and this book does that. Dodd gives the reader enough history (historical romance- duhh) to make the story make sense, but doesn't bore the reader to death. While it would be better to read the series in order, it is not necessary in order for the story line to work. Each book is separate, unto itself, but the overall theme, or final goal, is carried throughout the series.
Diana
Apr 18, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Tempting
  • Duke of Sin (Duke Trilogy, #1)
  • Never A Lady (Regency #4)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
  • The Truth About Love (Cynster, #12)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
  • Promise Me Tomorrow (Lost Heirs, #2)
  • Nobody's Darling
  • A Bride Unveiled (Boscastle #11; The Bridal Pleasures #2)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
  • The Reluctant Reformer
Today and always…LOVE NEVER DIES: A Virtue Falls Short Story https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
-- Out now! OBSESSION FALLS: A full-length Virtue Falls thriller in paperback and ebook https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Christina's Upcoming Stories:
BECAUSE I'M WATCHING: A Virtue Falls suspense (Sept 6, 2016) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Christina's 2015 List of Stories:
-- Out
More about Christina Dodd...

Governess Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #1)
  • Rules of Surrender (Governess Brides, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (Governess Brides, #3)
  • Rules of Attraction (Governess Brides, #4)
  • In My Wildest Dreams (Governess Brides, #5)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • My Favorite Bride (Governess Brides, #7)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #10)
  • A Pirate's Wife for Me (Governess Brides, #11)