Type Talk at Work (Revised): How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What’s Your Type at Work?

Are you one of those organized people who always complete your projects before they are due? Or do you put off getting the job done until the very last possible moment? Is your boss someone who readily lets you know how you are doing? Or does she always leave you unsure of precisely where you stand? Do you find that a few people on your team are...more
Published October 21st 2009 by Delta (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Type Talk at Work (Revised), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type Talk at Work (Revised)

Rob
This book was highly recommended to me by a senior manager who was a huge fan of Myers Briggs, in particular to be successful in business. He himself was a very successful salesman (so by extension is good with people in a certain kind of way), so I figured it would be worthwhile to check it out.

I found the book intellectually interesting, but not actionable. Going through it I actually went around to colleagues to ask them for their MB types (I believe I was ENTJ). I wrote those types down. I r...more
Kim
Required reading for a class. Didn't read the entire book, but got a bit of good info. Had enough of it when it essentially said that my Perceiving personality would never be as great as I aspire because Judgers rule. And to essentially get used to it.
Lisa
This was amazingly insightful into different personality types. I found the description of "me" as an ISTJ to be 90% accurate and my workgroup peers seemed to feel their type also accurately described them. The best part is learning how to better interact with other personality types. Too bad this isn't required reading when we are younger so we can apply the lessons before we've butted heads, burned bridges, and irritated others...repeatedly.
Dave Wheatley
If you're a fan of the MBTI (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator) and want to know how those types manifest in the modern workplace, give this book a try. The back part of the book is organized like a reference, so you can just look up certain types at yoru leisure. I use this in my job a Human Resources professional and usually have the managers and supervisors I work with read it.
Zacaro Caro
I love myers Briggs, and this book is good for understanding work types, i found myself disagreeing with many if the gender roles and found them to be distracting. This is my only complaint. Otherwise a very good book!
Catharine
Very useful for getting to know yourself better and
understanding your role at work and the why of your
work relationships.
Maya Angelou
Virginia
Aug 31, 2007 Virginia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: just plain curious
What can I say? I'm a career counselor. It's an interesting book. Enough said. Ask to borrow it from me. It's sitting on my shelves at home.
Lori
Incorporating the Myers-Briggs test, I'm sure this book will be a fascinating read for my managerial communications class.
Christine
I attended a class for the Myer Briggs Personality and received this book. I am hoping to start reading it over the weekend.
mlady_rebecca
Aug 19, 2008 mlady_rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with the desire to understand other people better
A variation of "Type Talk" focused on the workplace. I prefer the original "Type Talk", but this did have a few added insights.
Lindsay
Very helpful if you are comfortable with MBTI and want to dig in deeper to understand how to better relate to your coworkers.
Janelle
Great resource book to increase your knowledge of yourself and others by learning about Myers-Briggs personality types!
Elizabeth
I learned so much about myself, how I think, what sets me apart from others and how I can understand others better!
Maria
Great insights on how different personality preferences work together and react to certain stimuli. Very helpful read.
Beneth
Jul 21, 2007 Beneth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone familar w/ Meyer Briggs
pretty helpful in applying Meyer Briggs analysis to work situations. I would like to check out the updated version.
John
Good book on the MBTI method
Tiega
Tiega marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Rocky Rocky
Rocky Rocky marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Neilesha Lovestoworship
Neilesha Lovestoworship marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Hilarysayre
Hilarysayre marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
James Willson
James Willson marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
  • Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success
Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work The Workplace Profiles Excerpted from Type Talk at Work 16 Ways to Love Your Lover The Typewatching Profiles: Excerpted from Type Talk

“As we've said many times before, Introverts get ulcers; Extroverts give ulcers.” 7 likes