Start by marking “The Carrot Seed” as Want to Read:
The Carrot Seed

The Carrot Seed

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  12,538 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
From beloved children’s book creators Ruth Krauss and Crockett Johnson comes the perennial favorite The Carrot Seed, now in a board book that's perfect for little hands

When a little boy plants a carrot seed, everyone tells him it won't grow. But when you are very young, there are some things that you just know, and the little boy knows that one day a carrot will come up. S
Board Book, 32 pages
Published May 30th 1993 by HarperFestival (first published 1945)

Ryan Collette
Aug 22, 2012 Ryan Collette rated it it was ok
This book is deep. It explores the complex nature of family and gardening technique. The obvious question when reading this book is whether the bumps on the boy's head is his hair or just a lumpy head. It's confusing because the lumps are the same color as his face. I don't know if I'm dealing with a boy or an alien. The other begged question is his landscape for planting the seed. Are we not seeing the whole picture or is he really planting a single carrot seed in a small patch of dirt? I would ...more
Beth
The Carrot Seed is the story of an unnamed boy who plants a seed. He is told repeatedly by his mother, father, and big brother that it just won’t grow. Yet the little boy continues to weed and water his seedling with care. Even though the little boy was surrounded by naysayers, he did not let that discourage him, he kept working. At the book’s close we see the little boy harvesting a large carrot.

Although this is a good story with a nice message, much to my surprise, I just wasn’t entirely won o
Huda
Sep 26, 2009 Huda rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-pic-books
nothing special , really!
all his family thought his carrot seed wont grow but it finally did
I guess the author wanted to tell how important it is to stand for your own believe, that's all
Danielle
Mar 20, 2017 Danielle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because the little boy stuck true to his convictions and ended up being right! The illustrations aren't super colorful, but the are very adorable. Most books have families that are totally supportive of their kids, but not this book, which is okay. The other characters were trying to be realistic, but the little boy was confident that a carrot would come up. The story line is easy to follow and the language is simple.

I think kids would love this book because it encour
Elizabeth Gonzalez
Mar 07, 2017 Elizabeth Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
The storyline about "The Carrot Seed" is about a young child who never gives up on his seed. Everyone in his family tells him that the seed wont grow but that doesn't stop him. He keeps making sure his seed is well taken care of. One day the seed becomes a huge carrot. The book is allowing the children to think about never giving up even if people don't support you. The book gives hope and motivation. Children are able to do the impossible if they put their heart and mind to it. the book does en ...more
Necole Penn
Jun 08, 2013 Necole Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-10-books, science
This book shows a lot of motivation and determination with this little boy trying to grow his own carrot. He was able to prove his parents, and brother wrong by keeping his plant well fed and watered that soon it sprouted. The Carrot Seed shows young children how to grow plants, how to feed them and to check on them daily for a good expected outcome. This book is great for a science domain in learning. Even when no one else has faith in you or your projects, you have to keeping moving foward and ...more
Vivian
May 07, 2010 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Try sharing this story with children. Here's how:

Introduce the author and illustrator.

I mentioned that Crockett Johnson also made the Harold and the Purple Crayon books and I wonder if the father in this story (turn to page that pictures the father) is Harold all grown up.

There is very little text in this book.

Stretch the story by miming many of the actions.

Open one hand palm up and invite the children to do the same. Say there’s a tiny seed in your hand and it is black.

Close fist around th
Cj Lee
Oct 11, 2013 Cj Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-reliance
The carrot seed was another learning experience for me as a parent. It taught me not to criticize or tell my children that something cannot be done. In the book the little boy plants a carrot seed and waits patiently for the carrot to grow. In the book his whole family tells him that the carrot would not blossom but with perseverance, the carrot finally came up from the ground just as he was expecting. I bet with the carrot growing as he was expecting, his self-esteem and confidence was restored ...more
Quintin Bostic
Jun 15, 2011 Quintin Bostic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Carrot Seed was an excellent book! I used this book in my classroom when discussing with children the developmental cycle of a plant. By using hands on lessons and fun filled activities, this is definitely a book that all children will remember.
Colby Sharp
Feb 01, 2012 Colby Sharp rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Yup, this book is AWESOME!
Hailey White
Jun 29, 2015 Hailey White rated it really liked it
Faith & Perseverance....two traits I hope to instill in the hearts of my children. Love this story but the illustrations hold me back from a 5 star rating.
Natalie Pietro
Nico made me read this book to him three times in a row. He would have read it all night if I didn't make him go to bed. Great classic children's book.
Woodland Animal
Apr 04, 2014 Woodland Animal rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I planted so many carrot seeds!
Michele Stalmer
A classic! Great way for kids to learn about patience, faith and believing in yourself.
Karen
Dec 08, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
My favorite childrens book!!! Love it! Read it!
Ellen Sun
Aug 06, 2014 Ellen Sun rated it it was amazing
The first book I borrowed from the library.
I love the little boy who believe in himself.
Brenica Miles
A book about determination , The Carrot Seed is a great book for children. This story teaches them to never give up on their goals.
Sarah Baker
Jan 30, 2017 Sarah Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: thomas, kids
Thomas enjoyed this one, and I did too. Quiet belief and determination will out.
Tracy
Mar 06, 2017 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zoey-kalley
What a simple little story. Useful for my daughter, who is learning to read, and has to do so for 15 minutes every night. As a matter of fact, she loves this one. She read it three days in a row because the content is so easy for her. What I'm not crazy about: the pictures. They are not my favorite. They are very simple, which might be a plus for little ones, but I feel like the colors are dated or drab.
Danielle
This is a sweet and short story about a young boy who, despite opposition from his family, puts his faith in his carrot seed, and believes that it will grow into a plant. It doesn't have the sticking power that Harold and the Purple Crayon (same illustrator) has today, but it's a cute story, and a nice book for introducing morals to kids at an early age. A pleasant read for parents and their kids.
Lauren Barber
Mar 02, 2017 Lauren Barber rated it really liked it
A boy plants a carrot seed. Throughout the book, everyone around him tells him it won’t grow and he should give up. But he continues to pick weeds day after day, tending to his precious carrot, and finally the seed grows. The last page shows the boy walking away with his huge carrot. He is very proud. This book emphasizes the importance of perseverance, dedication, diligence, and believing in yourself. This would be a good read for younger children to show them that it is good to have passion ab ...more
Jessicamcdowell
Oct 03, 2016 Jessicamcdowell rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book, but the story has a good meaning. The boy in this story believed that he could grow a carrot a he did no give up no matter how negative people are throughout the story. The carrot seed will teach young children to have faith and keep trying to accomplish their goals.
Ashley Cha
Oct 02, 2016 Ashley Cha rated it liked it
Shelves: patience
The Carrot Seed was an okay book. It did teach that anything can happen if you be patience. I didn't enjoy the illustration so well because there was very limited colors and I know young children loves colors. I would read this in my class but probably in a small group from ages 5 and up. I did however, like that when everyone doubted him, he never gave up and proved them all wrong.
Sherillyn Ramsey
Oct 02, 2016 Sherillyn Ramsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orange
Great read for story time! Good green activity and children will enjoy this literacy choice. The book is good way to introduce children to gardening and the art of patience. Environmentally friendly read.
Crystal
Feb 25, 2017 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Adorable. Simple words, simple pictures. Small children and older can enjoy this picture book. Teaches patience and faith while waiting for a plant to grow. 3 year old loved it as he was quite convinced that the carrot would never grow and then BAM! It was huge! We used it as part of our plant theme preschool week. Would also be great to talk about vegetables.
Daniella Variale
The Carrot Seed is a story about a boy who planted a carrot seed. His family told him they did not think it would ever sprout; however, with his persistence and dedication, the story’s main themes, the boy got the results he wanted.
The book is orientated vertically, probably to accommodate the image of the boy’s parents and the large leafy top of his carrot in the second to last opening. By making the book vertical, the boy’s family could be pictured tall enough to look down on him. Since the b
Ting Zhang
Nov 03, 2015 Ting Zhang rated it it was amazing
This book is suitable to use for ages 3 to 8. It tells a story of a little boy who planted a carrot seed. His parents and brother say to him, “I’m afraid it won’t come up”. This book describe that, “Every day the little boy pulled up the weeds around the seed and sprinkled the ground with water.” However, nothing came up. His parents and brother kept saying it wouldn’t come up. Although no one believes that it would happen, he continues pulling up the weeds around it and sprinkled the ground wit ...more
Rachel Lizan
Feb 09, 2014 Rachel Lizan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Genre: This picture book is in the category Controlled Vocabulary.

Summary: A little boy plants a carrot seed. Everyone around him tells him that it won’t grow, but he continues to believe it will grow and eventually it does.

Curriculum Connection: I think that this book could be used in a lesson about making inferences. This picture book has very few words so through inferences, students can fill in the blanks that the author left out.

Critique:
a) Since The Carrot Seed is a picture book, the stor
Kandolo Baze
Feb 20, 2017 Kandolo Baze rated it really liked it
What a great book for children to learn about patience and believing in yourself !
The book can also be used for teaching children how to grow plants.
I love the book and will recommend it to parents.
Jessica Sommers
Sep 12, 2016 Jessica Sommers rated it did not like it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book was about a little boy who planted a carrot seed one day. Once he had planted it, his family constantly told him that the seed would never grow. Despite what his family told him, the little boy continued to tend to the seed. At the end of the book, the carrot had finally come up and the boy was able to take it away in a wheel barrel.

I did not find this book very entertaining. I was not a big fan of the illustrations or how short each page was. I honestly do not have a favorite aspect
  • Ask Mr. Bear