Start by marking “The Carrot Seed” as Want to Read:
The Carrot Seed

The Carrot Seed

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  12,245 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
When you are very young,
there are some things that you just know....
This treasured story of childhood faith
rewarded is now avaliable in a board book
edition for the youngest child.
Published May 30th 1993 by Festival (first published 1945)

Ryan Collette
Aug 22, 2012 Ryan Collette rated it it was ok
This book is deep. It explores the complex nature of family and gardening technique. The obvious question when reading this book is whether the bumps on the boy's head is his hair or just a lumpy head. It's confusing because the lumps are the same color as his face. I don't know if I'm dealing with a boy or an alien. The other begged question is his landscape for planting the seed. Are we not seeing the whole picture or is he really planting a single carrot seed in a small patch of dirt? I would ...more
I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
The Carrot Seed is the story of an unnamed boy who plants a seed. He is told repeatedly by his mother, father, and big brother that it just won’t grow. Yet the little boy continues to weed and water his seedling with care. Even though the little boy was surrounded by naysayers, he did not let that discourage him, he kept working. At the book’s close we see the little boy harvesting a large carrot.

Although this is a good story with a nice message, much to my surprise, I just wasn’t entirely won o
Huda
Sep 26, 2009 Huda rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-pic-books
nothing special , really!
all his family thought his carrot seed wont grow but it finally did
I guess the author wanted to tell how important it is to stand for your own believe, that's all
Necole Penn
Jun 08, 2013 Necole Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-10-books, science
This book shows a lot of motivation and determination with this little boy trying to grow his own carrot. He was able to prove his parents, and brother wrong by keeping his plant well fed and watered that soon it sprouted. The Carrot Seed shows young children how to grow plants, how to feed them and to check on them daily for a good expected outcome. This book is great for a science domain in learning. Even when no one else has faith in you or your projects, you have to keeping moving foward and ...more
Vivian
Mar 12, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Try sharing this story with children. Here's how:

Introduce the author and illustrator.

I mentioned that Crockett Johnson also made the Harold and the Purple Crayon books and I wonder if the father in this story (turn to page that pictures the father) is Harold all grown up.

There is very little text in this book.

Stretch the story by miming many of the actions.

Open one hand palm up and invite the children to do the same. Say there’s a tiny seed in your hand and it is black.

Close fist around th
Cj Lee
Oct 13, 2013 Cj Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-reliance
The carrot seed was another learning experience for me as a parent. It taught me not to criticize or tell my children that something cannot be done. In the book the little boy plants a carrot seed and waits patiently for the carrot to grow. In the book his whole family tells him that the carrot would not blossom but with perseverance, the carrot finally came up from the ground just as he was expecting. I bet with the carrot growing as he was expecting, his self-esteem and confidence was ...more
Quintin Bostic
Nov 05, 2011 Quintin Bostic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Carrot Seed was an excellent book! I used this book in my classroom when discussing with children the developmental cycle of a plant. By using hands on lessons and fun filled activities, this is definitely a book that all children will remember.
Hailey White
Jun 29, 2015 Hailey White rated it really liked it
Faith & Perseverance....two traits I hope to instill in the hearts of my children. Love this story but the illustrations hold me back from a 5 star rating.
Natalie Pietro
Nico made me read this book to him three times in a row. He would have read it all night if I didn't make him go to bed. Great classic children's book.
Colby Sharp
Feb 01, 2012 Colby Sharp rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Yup, this book is AWESOME!
Woodland Animal
Apr 04, 2014 Woodland Animal rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I planted so many carrot seeds!
Michele Stalmer
A classic! Great way for kids to learn about patience, faith and believing in yourself.
Karen
Dec 08, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
My favorite childrens book!!! Love it! Read it!
Ellen Sun
Aug 06, 2014 Ellen Sun rated it it was amazing
The first book I borrowed from the library.
I love the little boy who believe in himself.
Carson Atkin
Dec 03, 2016 Carson Atkin rated it really liked it
Krauss, R., & Johnson, C. (1945). The carrot seed. New York: Harper & Brothers.

The Carrot Seed is another timeless classic with strong undertones of perserverance. It follows a young boy who plants a carrot seed in the ground in the hope it will yield a strong big and healthy carrot. Many doubt him and doubt the work he puts into it claiming it is a waste of time, but the boy works dilligently and ends up with a carrot that would put any other to shame. While the plot on the surface leve
Yesenia MR
Nov 15, 2016 Yesenia MR rated it it was amazing
The Carrot Seed's main themes are determination and believing in yourself. The little boy planted a carrot seed and his whole family said that nothing would come up. But he just stayed quiet, removed the weeds around the planted seed, and watered it. At the end of the story a carrot came up and it was huge.
This book is great to teach determination and not worrying about what people say all the time.
Brenica Miles
A book about determination , The Carrot Seed is a great book for children. This story teaches them to never give up on their goals.
Serpil Dislen
Nov 06, 2016 Serpil Dislen rated it really liked it
The book is for preschooler and after read that planting seed is going to be great activity. The young child will have an opportunity to actually plant seeds and watch them grow and It`s take time. Also other side we can plant seed but will not give water to the seed. They will see, the seed will not grow. Watering is important for plant. ...more
Makayla Wooden
Oct 31, 2016 Makayla Wooden rated it it was amazing
The Carrot Seed is another good book for children to learn different things about nature. This book is about growing from the seed. This would be a good book to read to Pre-k and up classrooms. This book can show children how to be patient with things and other people as well. I would have this in my classroom and do a lesson on growing plants.
Jerrica Morales
After reading this book, I think it has a good message. This book teaches children to never give up on anything. In the book, the little boy was so determined about the carrot growing that he never gave up faith. In the end, the carrot did grow and show children that hard work pays off. I thought the illustration was a little plain and boring but was a good book.
Shanteria Maddox
Oct 02, 2016 Shanteria Maddox rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
The carrot seed was a wonderful book!!!
I loved the fact the little boy was faithful & dedicated to his plant. Even though those around him told him it wouldn't grow he still continued to water it. Patience is truly a virtue! Hardworking pays off.
Jessicamcdowell
Nov 05, 2016 Jessicamcdowell rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book, but the story has a good meaning. The boy in this story believed that he could grow a carrot a he did no give up no matter how negative people are throughout the story. The carrot seed will teach young children to have faith and keep trying to accomplish their goals.
Ashley Cha
Oct 02, 2016 Ashley Cha rated it liked it
Shelves: patience
The Carrot Seed was an okay book. It did teach that anything can happen if you be patience. I didn't enjoy the illustration so well because there was very limited colors and I know young children loves colors. I would read this in my class but probably in a small group from ages 5 and up. I did however, like that when everyone doubted him, he never gave up and proved them all wrong.
Sherillyn Ramsey
Oct 02, 2016 Sherillyn Ramsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orange
Great read for story time! Good green activity and children will enjoy this literacy choice. The book is good way to introduce children to gardening and the art of patience. Environmentally friendly read.
Markeita Dale-jones
Oct 02, 2016 Markeita Dale-jones rated it did not like it
Shelves: peer-instructor
Overall, this was a boring book. However, it had a clear message that children should not give up so easily when things takes a long time. Patience and determination is key.
Maia
Nov 14, 2016 Maia rated it really liked it
The book is good for yang children to learn basic gardening techniques. It is about a little boy who plants a carrot and everyone around him , his family think that the carrot cannot grow up. But little boy has so much patience, that because reach his goal he does the best. He waters the carrot as often as possible, hoping that it makes the carrot grow, and one day the carrot comes up.
The sorry is good to learn children that, anything we want is can get thru if we will have patience and belief.
Jessica Javier
Sep 25, 2016 Jessica Javier rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This story would help children overcome the naysayers they are sure to encounter in life. They will also need to learn the value of listening to and heeding wise advice. This book have great pictures for children to view. This book have great colors. The writing in this book are great for children to have new vocabulary words. Is a great book which can be used to explain children how vegetable grow.
Daniella Variale
The Carrot Seed is a story about a boy who planted a carrot seed. His family told him they did not think it would ever sprout; however, with his persistence and dedication, the story’s main themes, the boy got the results he wanted.
The book is orientated vertically, probably to accommodate the image of the boy’s parents and the large leafy top of his carrot in the second to last opening. By making the book vertical, the boy’s family could be pictured tall enough to look down on him. Since the b
Rosaira Quinonez
This book is a great way for children to learn the importance of patience. Also that even if your family don't believe in something that you have done, you just need to be patient and believe in yourself.
Erica Gordon
This book gives great demonstration of patience and determination. This would be great to use for a lesson on vegetables and growing plants. It also shows social and emotional development through the parents and brother telling him it will never grow and him never giving up. I did not like how small the book was though would not suggest for a large group of children.
  • Ask Mr. Bear