The Carrot Seed

The Carrot Seed

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  8,762 ratings  ·  260 reviews
When you are very young,
there are some things that you just know....
This treasured story of childhood faith
rewarded is now avaliable in a board book
edition for the youngest child.
Board Book
Published May 30th 1993 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1945)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
283rd out of 3,054 books — 4,414 voters
Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertWeslandia by Paul Fleischman
Picture Books About Gardens
8th out of 167 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Collette
This book is deep. It explores the complex nature of family and gardening technique. The obvious question when reading this book is whether the bumps on the boy's head is his hair or just a lumpy head. It's confusing because the lumps are the same color as his face. I don't know if I'm dealing with a boy or an alien. The other begged question is his landscape for planting the seed. Are we not seeing the whole picture or is he really planting a single carrot seed in a small patch of dirt? I would...more
Huda
nothing special , really!
all his family thought his carrot seed wont grow but it finally did
I guess the author wanted to tell how important it is to stand for your own believe, that's all
Necole Penn
This book shows a lot of motivation and determination with this little boy trying to grow his own carrot. He was able to prove his parents, and brother wrong by keeping his plant well fed and watered that soon it sprouted. The Carrot Seed shows young children how to grow plants, how to feed them and to check on them daily for a good expected outcome. This book is great for a science domain in learning. Even when no one else has faith in you or your projects, you have to keeping moving foward and...more
Vivian
Try sharing this story with children. Here's how:

Introduce the author and illustrator.

I mentioned that Crockett Johnson also made the Harold and the Purple Crayon books and I wonder if the father in this story (turn to page that pictures the father) is Harold all grown up.

There is very little text in this book.

Stretch the story by miming many of the actions.

Open one hand palm up and invite the children to do the same. Say there’s a tiny seed in your hand and it is black.

Close fist around th...more
Cj Lee
The carrot seed was another learning experience for me as a parent. It taught me not to criticize or tell my children that something cannot be done. In the book the little boy plants a carrot seed and waits patiently for the carrot to grow. In the book his whole family tells him that the carrot would not blossom but with perseverance, the carrot finally came up from the ground just as he was expecting. I bet with the carrot growing as he was expecting, his self-esteem and confidence was restored...more
Rosemary
Jennifer Olson
In this book, a little boy planted a carrot seed. While no one has faith in him, he cares diligently for it and in the end is rewarded with a giant carrot. This book has an Accelerated Reader level of 1.9 or a Guided Reading level G. With few words on each page, the illustrations are essential, especially to the ending.

As the book progresses, students could be asked to predict what will happen next in a turn and talk. This book is a good tie in to a lesson about plants since the boy waters and...more
Daniella Variale
The Carrot Seed is a story about a boy who planted a carrot seed. His family told him they did not think it would ever sprout; however, with his persistence and dedication, the story’s main themes, the boy got the results he wanted.
The book is orientated vertically, probably to accommodate the image of the boy’s parents and the large leafy top of his carrot in the second to last opening. By making the book vertical, the boy’s family could be pictured tall enough to look down on him. Since the b...more
Rachel Lizan
Genre: This picture book is in the category Controlled Vocabulary.

Summary: A little boy plants a carrot seed. Everyone around him tells him that it won’t grow, but he continues to believe it will grow and eventually it does.

Curriculum Connection: I think that this book could be used in a lesson about making inferences. This picture book has very few words so through inferences, students can fill in the blanks that the author left out.

Critique:
a) Since The Carrot Seed is a picture book, the stor...more
Maureen
This picture book was first published in 1945 and it was easy to tell why it has withstood the test of time. It has all the attributes of a good board book. While the pictures and words are very simple, it is a good and, in the end, funny story. The unnamed boy plants some carrot seeds, but everyone in his family tells him that they will not grow. The boy is persistent in taking care of the seeds and his hard work pays off, big time.

The cover of this picture book may deter some children from rea...more
Allie
This story is about a little boy who planted a seed and his family told him that the seed will not grow. Although his family didn't think the seed would grow the little boy still watered the seed every day and waited patiently. This book teaches kids not to give up. Go with your gut feeling even if other people disagree with you. The pictures go well with the words on each page. This is a good story to read in a classroom because it teaches a good life lesson. While a teacher reads this to their...more
Theodora
A very simple book and great picture book. This story is a little boy who planted a carrot seed. He had naysayers who thought his plant would not grow and bring about a harvest. Through patience and perseverance he succeeded. He received his harvest. A big fat orange carrot. His reward.
He planted, watered, weed, and observed his plant as time went by. Through endurance he got his end result.

Learning Extension: Science Project
Once the book is read put the children in groups and have them to plant...more
Quintin Bostic
The Carrot Seed was an excellent book! I used this book in my classroom when discussing with children the developmental cycle of a plant. By using hands on lessons and fun filled activities, this is definitely a book that all children will remember.
Kathryn Brunk
I like this book very much for young children because of its length and repetition. I love the overall message of the book. The illustrations are older but classic to the book. I think this could be read several times throughout the year so the children will start to memorize and retell the story with the reader. This book could be used with life-cycle lesson, because it describes the life-cycle of a carrot, or for farming and gardening lessons.

Learning Experience- I think a wonderful lesson to...more
Natalie Pietro
Nico made me read this book to him three times in a row. He would have read it all night if I didn't make him go to bed. Great classic children's book.
Tanya Bornstein
This is a cute but short book. It is easy for young children to read and understand. This book teaches that patience is a virtue. after reading children will be excited to go out and plant their very own carrot.

L.E: Explain to the children what patience is and why it is so important. Then go out to your garden section of the center in small groups and have each child plant their very own carrot seed. The children can watch it grow and grow until it is big enough to eat. After it is grown explain...more
Tishandra Mayfield
This book was okay. The little boy was anxious to see his carrot come up and it took some time for it to finally sprout. This book teaches children that you have to wait patiently for a plant to grow and that it does not happen right away. This is a good book to read to a child that is anxious about starting a flower garden.

Bring in some carrot seeds, potting soil, a pot, and a shovel. Have the children help plant the seeds; let the children help water the seeds every day. This will be a good w...more
Savannah Work
"The Carrot Seed" shows what hard work and perseverance can amount to, no matter what everyone else is saying. The little boy worked hard to help the carrot grow, even though his family told him that the carrot probably wouldn't come up. This book could be used in a lesson about the environment and plants as well as how to take care of them.

Learning Experience: give each child a tall cup, have them fill the cups with soil and plant a single carrot seed. Have them water it every day after they pl...more
Karen
My favorite childrens book!!! Love it! Read it!
Lissa
"The Carrot Seed" to me is not only about a little boy planting a carrot seed, but also about being patient and waiting for the outcome that will happen, even though everyone in his family didn't think his seed would grow, he was still persistant and knew his carrot would grow. This book is a good lesson in perseverance and if you have belief in yourself you can achieve what you set out to do. This book also shows you how and what you need to do when planting seeds to grow.

Learning Experience:
Pl...more
Courtney Canino
The Carrot Seed, by Ruth Krauss and pictures by Crockett Johnson, is a picture book with a F&P of 2.2 that is best for early childhood readers. The main character in this book is "the little boy", he is not named. The point of view of this book is third person. The setting of this book is the little boy's garden where he plants the carrot seed and waits patiently for it to grow. The plot of this book is that a little boy plants a carrot seed in hopes that it will grow. Day by day the seed do...more
Miki Saiki
Harper Festival / Harper Collins Publishers
Auther Ruth Krauss

5min.
Illustrated carrots image effort believing kids picture

What I learned?
I learned that believing myself is very universal at any age.
For most people, it becomes more and more difficult to believe themselves.
In this society, we are forced to listen others in stead of just believing ourselves.
We all know, diversity is very important in this global society.
But, as this book tells us, I thought independence and self provoking are still...more
Jessica
This simple book is an easy read. It is a cute story about a boy trying to grow a carrot despite everyone telling him that he won't be successful. I think the concept of perseverance in spite of not having support is a good lesson for children. They won't always have someone cheering them on but it is important to never give up. If this were read in a classroom, I would also add in some science and plant and tend to a seed. The children can experience caring for and tending to a plant.
Comfort Olajide
Oct 31, 2012 Comfort Olajide rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mrs. Jane Hyche
Recommended to Comfort by: Part of class book recommended for reading.
Shelves: science
I read this book, it is about a little boy who plants a carrot seed but was told by his family that the carrot seed will not grow. The little boy did not listen to their comments and continue to take care of the seed he planted by watering and pulling the weeds around it day by day until the seed germinated and brought out a big carrot. I will use this book in class and I will put it in my shelf.

The Learning Experience: I will teach the children science, "Germination of Seed" I will bring small...more
Samantha Ferrari
I thought The Carrot Seed was almost magical. Everybody told the boy his carrot would not grow. The boy didn't get discouraged nor did he argue, he just waited. He believed in himself, and in the end he said it all without saying anything at all. This book teaches a big lesson about self-trust and not giving up on anything because of what other people "think."

Learning Expererience: Was there ever a time when you wanted to do something but noone believed in you? Sometimes the only person that is...more
Jamie
This is the story of a very determined young boy. He planted a carrot seed, and his entire family didn’t believe that it would grow. The little boy was determined and didn’t give up. He watered the carrot seed and he weeded around the carrot seed. Finally, a carrot so big that he needed a wheel barrel to carry it, came out of the ground.
The illustrations in this book are very simple. The colors used by the illustrator are limited to yellow, brown, white, and finally some orange and green when t...more
Rob
May 04, 2009 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: backyard gardeners with little sprouts of their own
Perhaps a little overly simplistic but it is a kids' story... That said, the crux appears to be this: the story conveys a simple truth about modern living, that we've gotten so disconnected from our agriculture that no one has the slightest inkling of what happens when you put seeds in the Earth, nor any confidence that things will grow. Our protagonist ("little boy") has the bold plan to grow a carrot but he's surrounded by ignorant elders that all tell him he and his carrot are destined to fai...more
Jami
This is by far my absolute favorite book from childhood and I'm not ashamed to say I still enjoy it as an adult. Some people think it's about gardening, but in truth it's a book about patience, determination, and never giving up despite nay sayers. How if you're willing to put in the work, you can achieve what you want. All told in a very simple way, easy for a small child to understand.

Edit: I don't think you need to do any seed planting with this book. The seed isn't important. It's the messa...more
Marilyn
Every child should understand that food does NOT magically appear in the grocery store. Every child should have a garden even IF it is on a windowsill. The opportunity to plant a seed and watch the plant grow and develop eventually producing a carrot, tomato, bean, etc. is essential to understanding some very basic concepts in biology. Read this book with your 3 year old and plant your own carrot seed.
Sierra Murdoch
This book was decent. It had a good theme of determination and never giving up on something that you truly believe in. Though it had a good theme, it was very repetitious and I felt like there was no rise and fall to this children's book. The color theme of the book was very basic, composed of mainly yellow, maroons, and whites. This definitely wouldn't be a top choice for me, but it got the point across.
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Pete's a Pizza
  • Freight Train
  • George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends
  • The Tiny Seed
A Hole is to Dig I Can Fly (Little Golden Book) A Very Special House The Happy Day Open House for Butterflies