Handcuffs and Leather (Rawlings Men, #1)

Handcuffs and Leather (Rawlings Men #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  67 reviews
All Constable Hadley wants to do is put the last few weeks behind him. As if being taken hostage wasn’t bad enough, he’s had to deal with all the stupid publicity that’s surrounded him ever since. And the fact that he hasn’t slept since that night isn’t helping him feel any better about the world, either. The last thing Hadley needs is a shrink wandering around inside his...more
Published (first published May 11th 2010)

Amanda
This was one hot short story. My only complaint is that it ended too soon. The story just stopped right when things were getting good. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series though. I hope we see more of the two main characters from Handcuffs and Leather.
JenMcJ
*wails* TOO SHORT KIM, too short!

Okay, so the title is Rawlings M e n #1. How is Rawling going to have more than one man? I am not sure I think he should make Hadley share him.

When are you going to have characters with generic names like Tom, Dave or John? LOL
Serena Yates
I liked this story but I agree with the other reviewers: it was way too short. It was a great start to an interesting relationship between the cop, Hadley, and a psychiatrist, Rawlings.

Hadley is very hesitant about his submissive nature. All he has to go by is dreams, but he's a natural once Rawlings shows him what it can be like. At the end of the story Hadley is still very confused and I would love to see how he works through that confusion and truly comes to terms with what he wants.

Rawlings...more
Jimmy Hanson
Charming and enigmatic. I kind of wonder why Rawlings jumps right in to the almost-hard-core BDSM play with Hadley right off, but Hadley's a big boy and I could deal with it. My favorite scene? In the very beginning when Hadley admits his dreams to his psychologist ... and Rawlings breaks his pen in half. ^__^;;

First read: October 2010
Second Read: January 2011
Charly
Completely unexpected turn at the end--and not in a good way

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- I love reading stories in which a character who’s always yearned to be dominant or submissive finally tries it for the first time and discovers that it really is as good as he’s always imagined it.
- It’s nice to read a story in which the sub doesn’t do everything perfectly on his first try. Not only does Hadley struggle to follow orders and rememb...more
Kelly
This book is not my normal type of book. Wait. Let me clarify that. I don't normally read strictly m/m romance. I tend more toward threesome books with a lady thrown into the middle of the two men. What can I say? I like what I like. When I do read m/m romance I like them with a bit of the paranormal. You know, shapeshifters and their ilk. I do like Dom/sub books, so there's a definite plus there.

Anyway. I ended up liking this one more than I thought I would. I have a tendency to enjoy D/s relat...more
Kari Gregg
Joe Hadley is sent to a shrink to be assessed and deal with any trauma after having been taken hostage during the line of duty. Worst nightmare land, he's to see Dr. Rawlings, a guy he's been fantasizing and lusting after for months. Except Hadley was never really in any danger from his hostage-takers. The incident has stirred the submissive needs that Hadley's finding it harder and harder to deny, though -- which the good doctor is more than equipped (and eager) to take care of.

Wow, excellent s...more
Beck
Sweet & yummy but to darn short ...

Original Review...

I liked it but there wasn't enough to satisfy ... although I genuinely enjoy Kim Dare's books I must admit that her short stories are starting to frustrate me ... her characters deserve more IMO so I find myself getting miffed when the story ends so abruptly. This is a sweet read and it is easy to like the characters ... I'll probably wait until I have a build-up of Amazon credit, buy the entire series and read them all in one setting. Th...more
JR
awesome read! Kim Dare's got a flare for writing and puts you in the minds of the characters and just what they want. makes You think about the possibilites of a Dom/sub relationship - could there be something more there? give me eight more chapters and i would have been in heaven - but four still kept me going. guys, don't read this at work in your cubicle unless you plan on staying there until You can stand! :) Hot! on to the next in the series.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Hadley, oh so tasty. He's a cute constable who was "kidnapped" and has fantasies of being bound and taken by force. Um, well, who doesn't have this fantasy? *blink blink* Introducing another Rawling man, who actually isn't a cop! He's a shrink. I shudder when I read about a shrink, but this one, he makes me shiver with delight. These short stories are so sugary sweet I'm almost comatose with a sugar high. Love it.
Kerry
This was a good start to a relationship between Dr. Rawlings and Hadley, but it left me wanting a lot more. Hadley is new to realizing that he is a sub, so he is still struggling with following orders. I was a little shocked by Dr. Rawlings already telling Hadley that he loved him. (I wasn't the only one shocked...Hadley was too!!) I am interested to read the next book in the series.
Staceyr
ARGH!!! I was not expecting it to END....*pout*....that's what I get for getting so caught up in the story and not watching the page count. Would really liked to have seen these two settle into their roles with one another. Glad to see this is the start of a series.
Eri
I love that this book is anything but your typical BDSM read, and I love that it handles a therapist/patient relationship without turning unethical. Good plot, good characters, good writing, fluffy and kinky. What's not to like?
Pamela Craft Jenewein
A short story, Rawlings Men Book 01: Handcuffs and Leather was an engaging BDSM story. The plot moved smoothly, embracing every nuance the characters delivered up. Hadley and Rawlins were charismatic, well-built and convincing.
Carolyn88
this was a good BDSM book. The only thing I would wish that it was a little longer. Kim Dare is a good author. I just wish she would make her stories just a bit longer and more detail.
Chris
Very good ebook about a constable who was briefly held prisoner and has to talk to a psychiatrist about the experience - the same psychiatrist he's been dreaming of serving.
Heller
A quick little D/s story about a submissive cop and his crush who happens to be both a Dominant and the psychiatrist who is treating him.

Fast but very hot and fun.
S.J.D. Peterson
I liked the emotional dynamics between Dr. Rawlings and Hadley and the way Hadley was learning about himself. I good quick read if you can overlook the typeo's.
Kez
A great wee read like all of Dare's work. I found Hadley's confession about what really happened while he was kidnapped hillarious!
Jason Huffman-black
This author has such a wonderful way of describing a loving D/s relationship. I always enjoy her stories.
Julia
Pretty great, super hot. I would've liked it to be longer, yeah, but otherwise I really liked it.
Mandi
Really loved this story. I just wish it was longer (as everyone else!). :)
Gigi
Re-read in June 2013. Still smoking hot! Recommended!
Elisa Ramblings
This was the first story in the Rawlings Men BDSM series, and for various reason I didn’t read it before. Indeed it helps a lot to understand what will be the following development of the series: young and submissive blue collar constables, like Joe Hadley, who meet their Masters in older and handsome white collar professionals, like psychiatric Michael Rawlings.

That is the main theme of all the series, the various contrasts: blue collar workers against white collar professionals; young men aga...more
Kimberly
My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Constable Joe Hadley does not need to see a psychiatrist after an incident where he was taken hostage. He just needs the publicity around the stupid event to go away. But Hadley isn’t getting what he wants, which is why he’s sitting in Dr. Michael Rawlings’s office. Having Dr. Rawlings as his shrink is just the cherry on top of a rotten sundae, since Hadley has a huge crush on the older man. What will happe...more
Sandra
The main reason I read this was because I read Handcuffs and Glory Holes (Rawlings Men #2) and really liked it. I don't think this was as good, but an enjoyable read. It did seem too short, and I did a double take when I turned the page and the story was over. It easily could have been longer and been a little more fully developed. As it was, the "I love you" seemed waaaaaaaay premature and pulled me out of the story a little. But the one full-sex scene was hot and it definitely made me that goo...more
Amber
This was an ok book but nothing that really hit me as exceptional. I really didn't feel to emotionally invested in them and the whole thing at the end just left me going, huh? (view spoiler)
Kati
I did like the D/s relationship between the main heroes - I very much prefer it when such a relationship isn't just about sex, when the psychological side is described by the author and actually felt by the reader - on the other hand, it's still pretty much a PWP. It's a short-ish ebook but I still expected to learn something more about the main heroes - there were only two characters in the whole story - who they were, where they came from, anything. But the ebook consisted of two rather long s...more
Gwengwel
This review is for the 8 books.
2 Stars for the all.

-BDSM is not to be used as a therapy. A few of the sub were in need of one, not of a good spanking.

-Cousin gay: 8, cousin in the life style: 8. Not credible or even realist but hot to imagine in a 'get together'.

-All the ex (boyfriends or dates) are asshole. Easy and cliche.

-Easy reading, no plot, no character development that make the sex a little cold and clinic.

-The books are not bad just doesn't felt completed, probably because they are...more
Dee Wy
A pleasant read about a young cop trying to recover from being captured and bound (and his trauma is not what you may think), and his therapist, who he's been attracted to even before his job forced them to work together.

At 57 pages in length, I'm not sure whether to call it a short story or a novella - but it is a very quick read.

This m/m BDSM story held my interest throughout, but because of the simplicity of the plot and so little time to get to know the characters, I never really felt invest...more
  • Ratchet (Deviations, #2.5)
  • Push (Hammer, #6)
  • Wooing Master Jones (BDSM Club #1)
  • Chains of Love (Blue Ruin, #3)
  • Finders, Keepers (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #2)
  • SUBlime: Collected Shorts (Master Class, #2)
  • Balls & Chain  (Handcuffs and Lace, #24)
  • Out of the Fire
  • Call Me Sir, Too (Sir, #2)
  • Catalyst
  • Deliberately Unbound (Bound, #2.5)
  • A Master's Love (Master's Love, #1)
Kim is a thirty year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably always wi...more
More about Kim Dare...
Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1) The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, #1) With a Kiss Ryland's Sacrifice (Thrown to the Lions, #1) Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions, #3)