Start by marking “King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father” as Want to Read:
King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father

King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Using kings of the Old Testament as character studies, Steve Farrar examines the critical role a father plays in preparing his son to become a godly man. What separated the good kings from the bad kings was a father who made time commitments to mentor his son, by modeling biblical manhood. Do you want your son to become a man of regal character? Then this book is for you!
Published February 1st 2006 by Moody Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about King Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Me

Jeff
Jul 21, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-book-list
We are to build sons so that they may build sons. But we don't have what it takes to pull this off. But our Heavenly Father does. We can't father without the Heavenly Father. He is there and He is not silent.

On the 8th day of July in the year 1401, the Dean and Chapel of Seville assembled in the Court of the Elms and solemnly resolved: "Let us build a church so great that those who come after us may think us mad to have attempted it." The church took 150 years to build.

Solomon - the wisest man
Robert Sutherland
This book had a great concept, and I was excited to read it. The idea of mentoring your son, using the example of the Kings was an unusual angle for a Christian parenting book. He exposited that David mentored Solomon and Solomon didn't mentor his son, Rehoboam. Both sons turned out pretty rotten in the end, so the concept of leading by example and actively mentoring was discussed, but I never made the connection with how this is supposed to work. These examples were not ones to emulate.
He had a
Luis Villasenor
Oct 05, 2009 Luis Villasenor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers
My favorite book by Mr. Steve Farrar. Just the concept of it is awesome. A must read for every Christian or non Christian father because it goes back to how fathers use to raise the boys. Easy to read and at the same very insightful. I will be re-reading this book again!!
Clay Leonard
Mar 02, 2016 Clay Leonard rated it it was ok
This book was really hit and miss for me. There were times when I found myself shaking my head in total agreement with Farrar. At others points, I was just as vigorously opposed to what he had to say. Farrar is closely aligned with the Promise Keepers movement, and I noticed several areas of the book that were similar to books I've read by other authors in that movement. At certain points his Calvinistic leanings were brutally ungracious towards any other position. That was a real turn-off. Addi ...more
Dany Brenes
Goes to the edge at times but overall a great book

I loved the way the author reinforces the father/son relationship biblically and inspires us to do the same to raise men of God. The only reason I'm giving this 3 stars is because there are some concepts that are more the author's perceptions than truths, for instance feminized worship and things like feminized education that even though it holds some truth, the author's recommendations of having to look for alternatives seems too bold at times f
Michael Brown
Jul 01, 2011 Michael Brown rated it really liked it
Carpe…… Carpe…… Diem… Seize The Day….

Say these words and 99% of people will know what movie you are talking about. A classic film called “Dead Poets Society” with Robin Williams from 1989. It is hard to believe this movie is over 20 years old now. Growing up watching this film I remember the lines, “Seize the day,” and, “O Captain my captain,” as the two that really stick out. I saw it from the students’ perspective of finding your own voice and learning to think for yourself. But this time I sa
Matthew Melville
May 10, 2014 Matthew Melville rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, leadership
Great book on a fathers role with his sons! A great challenge to be intentional with my time & how to lead them biblically!
Cedric Graham
Dec 27, 2014 Cedric Graham rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by a tremendously faithful man.
Jason Denison
Jan 28, 2016 Jason Denison rated it it was amazing
WOW! Every man and boy alive should read this book. Certainly every father or father to be of a son should read this book. Man so powerful and speaks to my heart so deeply. I'm not a Father yet but I know that when I am I will re-read this and I am more prepared to be so, but not only that, more prepared to live in the world as a Christian man, son, husband, brother, leader, employee, employer... This book is life changing!
Thompsonwrites
Mar 23, 2011 Thompsonwrites rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine who recently turned 30 and is the father of two beautiful children, advised me to pick this one up. Bottom line, our world needs full time fathers. This is a book every male should read and get it deep down in his pants. Live with the intention to mentor your son. Providing is important but leaving a legacy lasts longer.
Axsel Cintron
Jun 03, 2014 Axsel Cintron rated it really liked it
Good read... Christ help me to be more like you, because he wants to be more like me.
Dean
Nov 03, 2014 Dean rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2102
I gave this book four stars because it has some five star chapters and some three star chapters. The book got better as it went and I was glad I stuck with it. (Maybe it would have benefitted from an editor who arranged it differently?) I would recommend this book to dads with sons.
Mark
Aug 09, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fathers
Recommended to Mark by: my brother
Some really good advice on raising your son. Being purposefully present is one of them. Seemed as though the book could have been edited down to closer to 200 pages and been just as effective at getting the points across.
Ray
Jul 29, 2011 Ray added it
If you have a son or grandson, you have to read this book. Steve Farrar does not pull any punches and each punch lands right on target. Our children's future is in OUR hands.
Legacy Dad
Dec 28, 2007 Legacy Dad rated it liked it
Shelves: legacy-reading
Further closing the gap and showing fathers that they need to be present and actively involved in their children's lives if they hope to make a difference.
Nan
Aug 02, 2008 Nan marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Anyone with a son
Recommended to Nan by: Focus on the Family
I just ordered this for Brad. Looks like a great recommendation from James Dobson. I'll keep you posted.
Helmut Granda
Dec 30, 2011 Helmut Granda rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, every father must read....
Doug Ausbury
Mar 31, 2011 Doug Ausbury rated it really liked it
Got a son? Read this. Period.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Robert
Robert added it
Jul 18, 2016
Matt Martin
Matt Martin rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Odunlami Israel
Odunlami Israel marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Kyle Loyd
Kyle Loyd marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Huang Huiwen
Huang Huiwen marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Scott Wessell
Scott Wessell rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
sylvia adetoro
sylvia adetoro marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Odutola Ekundayo
Odutola Ekundayo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Ben Laur
Ben Laur marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Wes
Wes rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Fred Ichinose
Fred Ichinose marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Pastor Dad
  • Together: Growing Appetites for God (True Woman)
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
  • Different Children, Different Needs: Understanding the Unique Personality of Your Child
  • Boyhood and Beyond
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • The Invisible Woman: A Special Story for Mothers
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys
  • A Treatise on Good Works
  • The Meaning of the Pentateuch: Revelation, Composition and Interpretation
Steve Farrar is the founder of Men’s Leadership Ministries. He holds a Master’s degree from Western Seminary, and an earned doctorate from Dallas Theological Seminary. Steve is the author of the best-selling book, Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family, God Built, Battle Ready, and True Courage. Steve Farrar resides in Texas with his family.
More about Steve Farrar...