Start by marking “Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)

Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In this short story it is the fall of 1879 and San Francisco swelters under a heat wave while Barbara Hewitt, a reserved school-teacher, uncovers a mystery with the help of her son's dog, Dandy.

This story is set in the gas-lit world created by Locke in her Victorian San Francisco Mystery series, which includes Maids of Misfortune, Uneasy Spirits, and Bloody Lessons, and t
Published April 17th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Dandy Detects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dandy Detects

C.J. Archer
I'll admit I downloaded this story partly because it was a freebie, but it wasn't just the price tag that hooked me. I'm a sucker for anything set in the Victorian era. Throw in an intriguing mystery and I'm there.

Unfortunately there wasn't a very big 'whodunnit' mystery element to this book, something which I put down to its length. It's extremely hard to pack a good mystery plot as well as character growth and a sense of setting into 35 pages. That aside, I was charmed my Locke's writing style
In this short story, school teacher Barbara Hewlitt is assisted by her son's dog, Dandy, in solving a mystery. The lovely piano player across the street from Mrs. Fuller's boarding house has disappeared, and the husband's story just doesn't feel right.

I find that I cannot write more about the plot without spoilers and thus will suffice to say that the settings are evocative and geographically accurate (I live in the San Francisco Bay area) and Locke clearly knows her period and subject matter.

Really if you have seen Rear Window you don't need to read this... it is inspired by it or it is a really weird coincidence. There's the window, there's a howling (instead of yapping and digging) dog (though this time it doesn't die) and there's a place where the friends hero thinks a body is buried (like the garden in Rear Window). Well, yeah, watch Rear Window... the plot gets way better and like I said this short-story has a lot in common with it.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
A short story that features one of the boarders in Annie Fuller's boarding house. Not a particularly difficult mystery, but the story allows the reader to get to know the secondary characters of the San Francisco Victorian mystery series better without un-necessarily cluttering up the plot of a full length novel. When I pick up the next book in this series, I'll know Barbara and her son Jaime that little bit better.
I've read the second book in the series and loved it so when I saw this free little story I just had to scoop it up. It's more of a vignette that gives one of the secondary characters in the series a chance at the limelight. I enjoyed this and look forward to seeing more from Barbara Hewett in the series after getting to know her better in this one.

As short as this was, it was able to draw the setting, tease out the characters and offer a good strong plot. Well done to the author on that. Now I
Dana Sahm
For such a short story, too much time was spent trying to develop the characters that the plot seemed almost an afterthought.
I don't normally read short stories, but this was a free download for my Nook and an introduction of sorts to a series. It intrigued me, so I gave it a go. Glad I did as it was a good read. The mystery wasn't really a mystery as you could see the end coming, however, it was an enjoyable little read.

The story revolves around a teacher, Barbara Hewitt, who lives in a San Francisco boarding house with her son and small dog. Due to the hotter than usual weather, she has her attic room window open m
This short story follows the first book in the series Victorian San Francisco Mystery. #1.5

This is a very, very short mystery that follows one of Annie Fuller's boarders. I've come to believe that most authors write these stories to give background information to secondary characters and/or give readers a "taste" of the story to find out if they might be interested in buying some of their books. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. This book works because I am interested in this partic
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This story was dull, with no particularly Victorian flavour to it beyond mention of girls wearing "polonaise dresses" and a few wagons passing by. It's strongly derivative of the original film of Rear Window, plus dog and minus man with broken leg. It feels like a sketchy first draft of a longer work--so much missing.

I feel no real desire to read anything else by this author.
Candace Sykes
cute short story
I found this dull.
I've read the two full-length novels in this series, Maids of Misfortune and Uneasy Spirits. Though I'm not usually a fan of short stories, I really liked this one. It allows you to learn a little more about the supporting characters in the novels, in this case boarder Barbara Hewitt. I'm looking forward to reading more shorts about the rest of the characters.
This is a very short story. I was thinking that Mrs Fuller the boarding house owner and clairvoyant in the story would be fun to follow and it looks like she will be in her other bookMaids of Misfortune.
Adrienne Testa
Part of the Victorian San Francisco mystery series, its a cute little short story about a woman who was once abused by her husband in Kansas. She and her son relocates to a boarding house in San Francisco and she uncovers the death of her neighbor because of her dog. If you enjoy the Victorian San Francisco mystery series its worth reading.
I enjoyed the charcters, the setting and the time period. That being said I do not believe this story was served well by its length. While there is a strong premise for a good mystery, it could have used a little more space to develop. I would like to read these charcters in a longer work rather than a short story.
Betsy Georgitis
This little story is a quick and engaging read...especially if you like dogs. I always like nosey neighbor never know what you will find out ? It probably could have been stretched into a longer book but no need. Set in Victorian times and a dog as a key player what could be better!?
Marie Godley
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. It was well written with the right blend of historical accuracy and fiction.
It is only 44 pages long so it doesn't take long to read but the characters are still solid (with obvious background stories to them)
Norma Huss
A completely satisfying short story. If you are suffering withdrawal symptoms from M. Louisa Locke's historic San Francisco mysteries, this one will help you overcome that affliction. It concerns two sewing sisters - but what is the secret? You'll be delighted!
Ashley Vail
Mar 31, 2012 Ashley Vail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: No Onr
Dandy Detects is a short story depicting a handful of characters from the Victorian San Francisco Mystery series. It is quite entertaining and gives you a different perspective of the series as it it told from a different character's view point than in the series.
For a short story with a child's boston terrier as the title character, this was a little more macabre than I had expected. It was an enjoyable little short story though. Feels like a fun, little piece the author did while she worked on the next full book.
Whitebeard Books
It's official now. I am a Fan of M. Louisa Locke and her series based in late 19th Century San Francisco! The characters are likable, real and consistent. The scenerios are believable and entertianing. Can't wait for the next installment!
Enjoyable short story. I particularly enjoyed getting to know some of the secondary characters from Maids of Misfortune. I hope we are treated to more short stories at regular intervals.
Quick short story about one of the boarders in Annie's boarding house. The dog, Dandy, detects something while the mother of Jamie is worried about missing people.
I enjoyed this and the other short story about the Moffett sisters a good bit, perhaps even more than the actual novels themselves.
The characters in this very short novella are the same as the other books by the author. It was quick and good.
I enjoyed this stand-alone short story, but I really wanted a full-length novel.
Wonderful but sad short story in the Victorian mystery series. I do love Dandy :)
Not really a mystery. I wished it gave a little history about Jamie's parents.
very short and lacked depth. i read it in about 15 or 20 minutes.
Feb 13, 2012 Nancy marked it as to-read
recommended by Martha Johnson
  • The Mudlark
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • The Amersham Rubies (Molly Murphy Mysteries #0.5)
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Cage Life
  • Death by Bridle (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #3)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Treasure Lost
  • Strong Spirits (A Daisy Gumm Majesty Mystery, Book 1)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • No Game For a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #1)
  • As the Crow Dies
After being a professor of history for over 30 years, I am now retired and writing full time. The books in my Victorian San Francisco Mystery series, are based in part on my dissertation research on women who worked in the Far West at the end of the Nineteenth Century, and they feature Annie Fuller, a young widow who gives domestic and business advice as the clairvoyant, Madam Sibyl. She is aided ...more
More about M. Louisa Locke...

A Victorian San Francisco Mystery (4 books)
  • Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1)
  • Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #2)
  • Bloody Lessons (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Proof (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #4)