Start by marking “Scary Godmother: Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Scary Godmother: Omnibus

Scary Godmother: Omnibus (Scary Godmother #1-4 + story)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  34 reviews
It's Halloween night, and it's up to Scary Godmother to show one little girl just how much fun spooky can be! Meet Hannah Marie, who, with the help of Scary Godmother, stands up to her mean-spirited cousin Jimmy and her fear of monsters on her first Halloween adventure with the big kids. Later, Hannah joins forces with Orson, the vampire boy, to unravel a mystery near and ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 117 pages
Published October 26th 2010 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Godmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scary Godmother

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
153rd out of 591 books — 787 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Shining by Stephen KingFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Best Books to Read for Halloween!
70th out of 399 books — 513 voters

More lists with this book...

Lloyd
Yesterday, I went to a signing that the incredibly talented and fun Jill Thompson did. There were stacks and stacks of this hardcover there. I had been a fan of her work on series like "The Invisibles" and "Sandman", but had not seen any of Jill's work on characters that SHE had created.

I picked this hardcover up and as soon as I got home last night, I read a couple of the stories. As I read, I discovered that a smile had grown on my lips as Jill had taken me back to childhood and all those spo
Emily
3.5 stars. Fun one for kids, perhaps especially for the ones prone to getting the heebie jeebies. All the monsters and creepy folk in Scary Godmother's world are actually just big sweeties who enjoy a good scare. The first story's the best one, and the artwork is cheerfully spooky.
Kaethe
It's Hannah Marie's first Halloween going out trick or treating with her cousin Jimmy and his friends. She's not scared, but just in case, she's told, her Scary godmother will take care of her. When Jimmy and his friends attempt to scare Hannah Marie into quitting, the Scary Godmother shows up, and introduces her to some wonderful monsters: Mr. Pettibone, the skeleton; Bug-A-Boo, the monster under the bed; some ghosts, etc. Now Hannah Marie loves Halloween above all.

In her continuing adventures,
Alexa
I absolutely love this book! This is a perfect of example of how the writing in a graphic novel can be just as strong as the art work with both elements complimenting each other perfectly.

First of all, Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday and it is second only to Christmas in popularity in the United States yet for some reason their are very little comics, graphic novels, or just books in general that are focused on Halloween. I was so excited to stumble upon this because it is exactly wha
Holly
Feb 16, 2012 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want their kids to be awesome
Recommended to Holly by: my daughter
Shelves: childrens-books
My two-year-old has been really enjoying comics lately (there are some Disney ones that have a lot of action in the pictures for her to follow) and she saw this at the comic store. I flipped through it and thought maybe it was a book to keep to read when she's older and can sit still for more wordy stories, but she wanted to read it right away, and it turns out she loved it.

The illustrations in this book are kind of halfway between comics and story books, with lots to look at in each panel. The
Alicia
Um, this is just someone taking common Christmas themes and stretching them to fit Halloween. It's not bad, but it's not interesting in and of itself. There are aspects of grinch, aspects of nightmare before Christmas, aspects of the-big-guy-is-incapacitated-so-let's-cover-the-holiday. I've seen it before. Not bad, but not nearly as original as I was expecting based on the reviews.
Suzydumeur
J'enlève une toute petite étoile juste parce que je trouve que le contenu est surtout adapté aux petits, et que je ne me suis du coup pas sentie concernée de suite, ni impliquée non plus. Toutefois c'est venu au fil de la lecture, surtout au regard du dessin MAGNIFIQUE qui donne envie de s'attarder sur toutes les cases. De la très belle oeuvre.
Angie
Scary Godmother is a wonderful graphic novel all about Halloween. In the first story Hannah meets her Scary Godmother on her very first Halloween outing. She learns that monsters aren't that scary and can be your friends and she develops a deep appreciation and love for Halloween and everything that goes along with it. I adored the illustrations of this book. I thought they definitely enhanced the text and were really the story of the book. Scary Godmother is a fantastic character. I loved the c ...more
Jeremy Stephens
Scary Godmother is the ideal book for children who are developing an interest in comics. I got this book for myself, but after reading half of the first story, realized it is more suited for children. Since I've recently noticed my seven-year-old daughter poking around my comic collection, I decided that this would be a great book to share with her. Scary Godmother cleverly blends the genres of graphic novels and children's literature into a masterpiece which captures the imaginations of both ch ...more
Mckinley
Comics/graphic novels are not my favorite genre to start with although there are many I've enjoyed. Sadly this was not the case with this series.

The first story set me on thinking this was for young children. However, the first story (Scary Godmother) was fairly scarey for a young audience, and the second (The Revenge of Jimmy) was still ok for young kids alhtough a bit in-your-face moralistic. Some of the topics seem off for young children. (The Mystery Date which was also a dud).

I guess I'm p
Jenny
Fun and beautifully drawn! I was excited to learn about the Scary Godmother animated specials from the sketchbook section at the end of this book, can't wait to watch them!
Nemuisan
It's sweet, the drawings are full of details and the stories are amusing.
Ashley
This book is really cute, and the pictures are drawn really well. This is a good book for little kids on Halloween.
Alessia Savi
Assolutamente delizioso e fantastico, in grado di incantare grandi e bambini. Storie che riprendono Halloween in ogni sua forma, e ci mostrano la crescita della piccola protagonista negli anni. Halloween dopo Halloween.
Un fumetto da leggere tutto d'un fiato, in una notte di temporale.
Jill Thompson si riconferma il genio femminile del fumetto americano, strizzando l'occhio alle paure dei bambini con il suo design accattivante.
OTTIMO!
Da rileggere ad Halloween, ovviamente!
Sabrina
This graphic novel is a compilation of five short stories about a little girl named Hannah and her Scary Godmother. The illustrations are fun and the blurbs within them don't detract from the stories, but add to them. It's a fun Halloween read with some good descriptions and alliterations. I don't personally care for the graphic novel genre, but I wouldn't mind cracking this one open with my students every Halloween.
Cristina
Absolutely delightful! I picked this up from Things From Another World in the Nick and Dent section and I do not regret it. I read this gem with s grin to rival Mr. Pettibone (he's a skeleton).

I totally know what I want to be when I grow up!! *self nominated Scary Godmother!*
Maija
Feb 06, 2012 Maija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: art lovers, kids
Jill Thompson's watercolor images are gorgeous! While I mostly enjoyed the art, the stories were good, too (and I especially enjoyed the title character). I would immediately buy this book for my friend's kids, if it was translated so that they could enjoy it.
Marne
Love, love the artwork! The collection of stories are hilarious. Both my 7 yr old and 5 yr old loved them. Borrowed this copy from the library but think I will buy a copy for myself.
Deidre Gubbels
One of the most wonderful children's books I've read! Fun and light hearted.
Very imaginitive writing and the art work is incredible!
Sara
Very cute. :)
I could pick at some plot points, but for heaven's sake this is a graphic novel children's book.
Richard
Fun, wonderfully drawn Halloween stories. Kind of a mix between a children's book and comics.
Jacob
Public library copy. Terrific all age stories beautifully painted in watercolors.
Sandy
Some of the spreads in this collection are incredible. Love the artwork.
Jolene
Great for 2nd-3rd graders to read! Entertaining and wonderful illustrations.
Kate
Hoping to go out with a bang this Readathon!
Ian
Delightful art, dull story, plodding text.
Alison
I wish that I had my own Scary Godmother!
Tessa
I want Jill Thompson to be my watercolor guru.
Erin
Oct 26, 2012 Erin marked it as to-read
Shelves: graphic-novel
FIC THO; Graphic Novel; Halloween
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • That One Spooky Night
  • The Golden Twine
  • Korgi Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Bk. 2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • Nini Lost and Found
  • Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Mommy?
  • Children's Literature: The World's Greatest Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • Oddly Normal
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
Jill Thompson is an American comic book writer and illustrator. Probably best known for her work on Neil Gaiman's Sandman characters and her own Scary Godmother series, she has also worked on The Invisibles, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and more recently, Beasts of Burden.

More about Jill Thompson...

Scary Godmother (4 books)
  • Scary Godmother
  • Scary Godmother: The Revenge of Jimmy
  • Scary Godmother: The Mystery Date
  • Scary Godmother: The Boo Flu
The Little Endless Storybook Death: At Death's Door Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1) The Dead Boy Detectives