Start by marking “The Poky Little Puppy” as Want to Read:
The Poky Little Puppy

The Poky Little Puppy (A Little Golden Book)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  63,424 Ratings  ·  689 Reviews
One of the original 12 Little Golden Books, The Poky Little Puppy has sold nearly 15 million copies since 1942, making it one of the most popular children’s books of all time. Now this curious little puppy is ready to win the hearts and minds of a new generation of kids.
Published May 25th 2010 by Golden Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Poky Little Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poky Little Puppy

Isabella
Aug 07, 2007 Isabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mom's note:

Bella enjoyed reading this book, but couldn't give it 5 stars because of inaccuracies that she couldn't forgive. First one was that strawberries "don't just grow in the grass by themselves," which is true enough. Her second sticking point came after the puppies' mom made them chocolate custard, and my daughter, having been raised in a houseful of dogs her whole life, said, "Those puppies are going to be DEAD after they eat that chocolate."

I love this kid.
Anne
Jan 19, 2009 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-children
This is a Grandma Book.
If you are someone's Nana, it is perfectly acceptable for you to force your grandchildren to listen to this inane story.
Unless, perhaps, you want your grandkids to actually like you.
If so, you need to reconsider this classic.
It's awful. It reads like a Dick and Jane book...minus all the exciting parts that Dick and Jane books are so famous for.

The only way a kid would willingly sit through this is if they are either
A) Too young to crawl away
Or
B) Have only been allowed to
Brad
Oct 14, 2015 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone tired of the whole Vampire/Werewolf phenomenon.
Recommended to Brad by: Grandma
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya
Deceptively simple, it allows the reader to fall into the trap of believing that the one who lags behind ALWAYS gets the dessert. There's a twist here, though!

The worldbuilding was pretty fantastic, with a god-like creature that keeps sending signs to all the anthropomorphic creatures that romp about, giving and taking away favours all willy-nilly, almost as if it was attempting to teach all the characters a very important lesson.

I honestly thought the message was taking over the story a bit too
Jessica
Sep 14, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A disturbing tale about bestiality. Just kidding.
Elaina
I remember this being one of my favorite books that I read when I was a kid!! :)
Flying Sandals
I will now sum up the cuteness level of this book:

photo tumblr_m6enyavvN51rxaf3mo1_500_zps2d65ad92.gif
Shawn Thrasher
When The Poky Little Puppy was published in 1942, World War II had been raging for several years, and after knocking at America's door, had finally entered. Pearl Harbor, the Nazis, the Holocaust, bombs and death, and destruction. In 1942, it wasn't immediately apparent that the good guys were even going to win the war. I bet if you were a little boy or little girl in 1942, then this story about five naughty little puppies was a much needed escape into a world without war. The worst thing that h ...more
Hannah
This was one of the books that sparked my love of reading...I've recommended it and given it as a gift countless times.
Jason
Aug 15, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Probably mama
Shelves: child-lit, 2011
I bought this book recently because Borders is going out of business, and I don't have a copy of it. Mama has the one I used to read as a child, and I wanted one at the house for when the nieces and nephews come over. The youngest four are of an age to enjoy it.

I just reread it again on 8-14-11, and was surprised at how many creatures of darkness there were in it. Peppered throughout the narrative is a spider, a snake, a lizard, a frog, and some bugs. In short, everything you need for the creepy
Lynanne
Dec 29, 2008 Lynanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite book from my childhood. I treasure my Little Golden Books and the lessons they taught me. Growing up, my parents didn't have a lot of money. They bought their food in bulk at the early-70's equivalent of Sam's Club/Costco. As a reward for good behavior in the grocery store, they allowed me to pick out a Little Golden Book or coloring book instead of a candy bar. The books were almost the same price as the candy, but my parents knew I'd enjoy the book longer. Every evening be ...more
Kenya (BookedUpBoss)
Awwwwwww... I just saw this book in the pile of books ready for giving out at the hospital!! Classic!
Katie Foster
Jan 23, 2014 Katie Foster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a fun book to read to little ones. It has many teachable moments to it. There is a pattern to the book (puppies dig a hole, wait for the puppy, get in trouble for digging, repeat) so little ones can easily predict what is going to happen next and they can discuss the pattern. They can talk about how the pattern is different at the end of the book. It also has a good lesson about how important it is to be yourself. All of poky puppy's siblings are in a hurry to get far away from their hom ...more
Jessie
So this is a terrible story. 5 puppies keep sneaking out of their yard, and one is really poky (hence the name). The 4 faster puppies get caught disobeying their mother and don't get dessert, while the Poky Puppy sneaks in and eats it all (?) after everyone goes to bed. First of all, dog mom is obviously a terrible mother what with letting her puppies wander around with no supervision. Secondly, it seems weird to reward the slow one for getting home last. Thirdly, I don't ever punish/reward my k ...more
Natalie
Jun 03, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read all around.

Though I am confused as to why they show every freakin' animal that's climbing up and down that hill, except for the spider. Why leave out the spider?

Mostly I'm grateful for the recession-friendly desserts the book suggests. "Can we have rice pudding Mama?"
"Can we have tapioca Mama?"
"Can we have chocolate custard?"
At 79 cents a box, yes you can my little lovelies!
Bethany
Jul 15, 2010 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't really understand the moral of this story. Be poky? Don't be poky? Sometimes disobedience has its rewards, sometimes it doesn't? Either way, it's not the most captivating, but the illustrations are cute.
Vi
Sep 01, 2016 Vi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love reading this book to my little guy!
Jay
Dec 17, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest childhood classics. Why? (Possible spoilers, but how are you going to know if it's worth reading?)

Because it's about dogs, irrepressible wanderlust, the futility of putting up signs for creatures who can't read, counting (addition and subtraction), up and down, back and forth, creepy-crawly things, colors, expanding your horizons, finding your way home, misbehavior and its consequences, gluttony, just desserts (pun intended), mother love and - ultimately - atonement, forgive
Elena
May 16, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a toddler/preschooler, I wanted to be the poky little puppy. I had poky little puppy pajamas, and got all the kids at daycare to play poky little puppy with me. This mostly involved getting down on our hands and knees and eating snow (it was winter in Minnesota, what can I say?).
Jen Locke
Apr 17, 2015 Jen Locke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorite as a kid.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun book, and I think everyone should read the Little Golden Books to their kids.
Becky Everhart
Jan 08, 2008 Becky Everhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
I must have read this book a million times when I was growing up, and I still have warm fuzzy feelings about the story. I would truly recommend this book to all children.
Aneesa
Mar 04, 2017 Aneesa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
About three times as long as I expected.
Reggie Billingsworth
As a four year old I disliked this book. How odd. Why I wondered? I could only dredge up a remnant memory of 'wrongness'.

Curious to re-examine this conclusion as an adult, some years ago I re-read this classic. And there it was. If I were to articulate my childhood's view in adult language? The PP deserved a smack across his bottom to smarten up and follow the rules everyone else did.

Or...in more socio-politically correct words: there lay serious injustice behind the irrational application of p
Allison
Jun 12, 2015 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Poky Little Puppy is a classic, and its illustrations are chock-full of vintage charm. The repetitive structure of the story is fun for children to practice predicting, and onomatopoetic language like “roly-poly, pell-mell, tumble-bumble” is a delight to say aloud together. Readers who root for the poky little puppy will be sorely disappointed. At first, the tiny explorer comes home to delicious desserts while evading his punitive mother who discourages puppy adventures. Sadly, his adventure ...more
Margaret Chind
Aug 15, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelwiess
I enjoy Little Golden Books, and I enjoy the antics of the Poky Little Puppy, but it is a verbose little story and while my daughters love it, they're not ready to fully read it alone. This little reader changes all that! In a Level 1 reader Random House Step into Reading has made it entirely possible for my budding reader to read this book all by herself (it was very exciting!)! This is the perfect level for a reader who has a grasp on the basic phonograms and is learning more daily. I'm very p ...more
Ed
Jun 24, 2008 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slowpokes, curious cats, children
Shelves: kid-stuff
I love puppies, and the pokier the better in my book, but this story just didn't thrill me. Although I'll leave it to you to form your own opinions...did Puppy make the right decision? Should one follow one's heart or one's mind? Is there a higher call to which "duty" answers?
Liz
Nov 14, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't figure out the point of this story. I read it as a kid, and that didn't bother me, but now I find myself wondering what the lesson is supposed to be at the end. Don't be poky? Be poky? It's all very arbitrary.
Terri Drake
Apr 21, 2013 Terri Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, and "This is the House That Jack Built" were my all time favorite childhood books. I need to add it to my reading list, and give it 5 *****! There is something about repetition that kids love when reading stories aloud.
Andrea
Oct 06, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES as a little girl...I don't know why. So if you read it and it's not that great, sorry, but it's a five star book to me because I remember my Mom reading it to me a million times when I was a wee little lass.
Andre
May 22, 2008 Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This book was instrumental in whetting my appetite for reading. I remember getting this book in the kids meal that was purchased for me at Wendy's, 20 years ago. I proceeded to read it in fairly short order and then reapeatedly read it over and over. Classic!
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant (A Little Golden Book)
  • Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Little Red Hen (Little Golden Book)
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • The Color Kittens
  • Bambi (Disney Bambi)
  • Three Little Kittens
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Fire Engine Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Leo the Lop
  • Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Prayers for Children (Little Golden Book)

A Little Golden Book (1 - 10 of 94 books)
  • 1 2 3 Juggle With Me!: A Counting Book
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • 101 Dalmations: Rainbow Puppies
  • 101 Dalmatians: Snow Puppies
  • 5 Pennies to Spend
  • ABC Around the House: A Little Golden Activity Book
  • ABC Is For Christmas (Little Golden Book)
  • ABC Rhymes (Little Golden Books)
  • About the Seashore