Start by marking “The Earth and Its Peoples, Vol 1” as Want to Read:
The Earth and Its Peoples, Vol 1

The Earth and Its Peoples, Vol 1

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Developed to meet the demand for a low-cost, high-quality history book, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: THE EARTH AND ITS PEOPLES, Fifth Edition, offers readers the complete THE EARTH AND ITS PEOPLES, Fifth Edition, text in an affordable format. This two-color version of the text includes the complete core text, but with fewer maps, photos, and boxed features for a manageable len...more
Published March 5th 2010 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth and Its Peoples, Vol 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth and Its Peoples, Vol 1

Vincenita Holattabaloney
Like most historic works, it made me cry...
but not because it was so emotionally moving, oh no... I spent hours upon hours hunched over this crazily-detailed textbook on 10,000 YEARS OF WORLD HISTORY solely because I made the grave mistake of taking AP World History.

In case you're wondering, I actually read ALL 33 chapters, as did all WHAP students, and it took all of my will-power to not burn this book once the final was over...as my copy belonged to the school...
Not only did we have to r...more
Daniel Kukwa
Incredibly dense and thorough...it is CERTAINLY informative. However, it's also a very dry read, and comes complete with an incredibly dry sense of design, layout and style. Guaranteed to put any AP History student to sleep, in spite of its brilliant text content.
Carinna Tarvin
Yes, it's my job. But I AM spending a lot of time reading this sucker when I wish I was reading other books, and I AM going to finish it this year and feel super triumphant. I want it to be a part of my 2014 reading challenge! It counts!

PS- it's a lot more enjoyable to read than the Stearns AP World History book I had to read the last two years. Mostly clear. Not terribly interesting, but it doesn't make me hate history like the other one did.
Angela
well technically, I finished this textbook in the middle of May, before taking the World History AP test.
This textbook was pretty difficult for me to get through.
Sure, a lot of interesting extra cultural/technical information. But it was hard to get through (of course) and the organization was really not the best.
However, contrary to a lot of what the other students thought, it did help me in grasping the small things of the big ideas, in the end.
Beth
This is the textbook we used for the class I was a teaching assistant for this semester--I really enjoyed this. The layout is nice, the writing is clear, and it reinforced the themes of our class well. While this isn't the edition we used (the 2010 edition isn't up on Goodreads yet)...I would recommend this textbook to anyone looking for a good overview of world history.
Tanner
It's a textbook, so nothing fancy here. Lots of interesting information presented in a marginally interesting and coherent way. The maps, tidbits of info, timelines, and graphs help, but this is not the most compelling book to read.
Ashlee Palka
Uber boring! I fell asleep at least five times while reading it.....In short: what I learned from this book was...WAY TOO MUCH!

My head couldn't take it. Good luck Freshmen! :P
Robyn Philactos
this was the most boring history book i've ever read. it has good information for an AP class, but it did not give enough details ; it mostly gave overviews of historical events.
Kelsey Haywood
WORST HISTORY BOOK EVER. nothing was clear, no in depth details, difficult to follow a specific region because it skips around so much. it was boring. it was terrible.
Casey
I literally read the history of the world in my AP World class with this textbook. Read it front to back and have learned a lot.
Chesney Schilling
It was good for school but it was a little bias on some outlooks on what happened in history.
Stephanie reyes
Jul 15, 2009 Stephanie reyes rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ppl studying world history
Recommended to Stephanie by: ms.evans, my history teacher
even though i didnt read the entire thing i think this book taught me alot!!
Kristine Chambers
Meh. What can you say about a textbook? I definitely learned a lot.
Mahfuza
Nov 20, 2013 Mahfuza marked it as textbooks  ·  review of another edition
I tried scanning my history book and it worked I didn't expect that
Aaron Gamino
this book was ok not realy a good book
Walt
Another college textbook
Timothy
Sep 11, 2012 Timothy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am using the third edition as the text-book for my AP World history class.
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Kade Meyer
Kade Meyer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kitty_rawr:12
Kitty_rawr:12 is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Noe
Noe marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Noe
Noe added it
Sep 13, 2014
Ioana Zorbescu
Ioana Zorbescu marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Staci Solano Alvarez
Staci Solano Alvarez marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Lanae Jones
Lanae Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Title 1 1 Jul 06, 2012 03:46PM
Layout 1 7 Sep 07, 2008 04:11PM
The Case for Islamo-Christian Civilization Islam: The View from the Edge Hunters, Herders, and Hamburgers: The Past and Future of Human-Animal Relationships The Camel and the Wheel The Earth and Its People: A Global History, Volume I: To 1550