Start by marking “Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)

Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  610 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
A Secret Identity

Published July 27th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Swept Away by a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swept Away by a Kiss

KarenH
I have never heard of Katharine Ashe and picked up this novel simply because it was endorsed by Lisa Kleypas as "a breathtaking romance". She wasn't exaggerating.

Taking place in Regency England, the book begins with the heroine, Valerie Monroe, returning to London after a 2-year stay with relatives in Boston. The ship she sails on is overtaken by pirates and the nasty, creepy leader gets his jollies by tying Valerie up in an intricate knot system and forcing a Jesuit priest to untie her. His re
Cynthia

Reviewed at Bitten By Paranormal Romance

Ms. Ashe has written a romance of epic proportions with her debut novel, SWEPT AWAY BY A KISS. She has gained another loyal fanatic follower with her story of Steven and Valerie. I knew I would be swept away by the time I read the first 25 pages. Ms. Ashe’s voice sang to me like a choir of angels.

Valerie is a fearless heroine. Yet she doubts any man could love her. Steven *sigh* is a swashbuckling but gallant popinjay. Because of Steven’s mixed heritage, h
Shanyn Hosier
Deciding on a rating for this book was hard. So many things about it were superb, but others were sufficiently aggravating enough that I developed a kind of love-hate relationship with this story.

Ashe composes extremely well written prose with intelligent, PBS-worthy dialogue - definitely a strength of hers. She writes period detail that feels highly authentic, inspiring far more trust in me than many other historical romance authors. Her characterizations were gripping and thorough. The espiona
Amanda
3.5

Back in May, I read a book called Wired for Story. It changed how I read (and write) stories. What it talks about is ultimately what I find Katharine Ashe's books to be lacking: a deeper understanding of character motivation.

The reason motivation -- often found in a life-changing event in the character's past -- is so important is that it tells the reader how the characters will react to the situations they're put in. To truly feel like we're a part of the story, some element of predictabilit
Becca
Mar 21, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The beginning of this book was so unique and had so much tension, I couldn't put it down. And then there was a separation and we meet an entirely different hero. This was Ashe's debut novel so she was newer to creating angst. It was not quite right here, but she has mastered it in more recent books.

Swept Away By a Kiss opens with our heroine, Valerie, and our hero, Steven (disguised as a priest), on a ship returning to England. There is an instant forbidden spark between the two that only grows
Ang
Sep 22, 2014 Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Secret Identity

When pirates storm Viscount Steven Ashford's ship upon the high seas, it brings him closer than ever to the nefarious criminal he seeks to ruin. Only one seductive detail threatens his victory: the scandalous beauty imprisoned with him, Lady Valerie Monroe. Temptation has never been so intoxicating or so forbidden, for Steven is disguised as a French priest. If they make it off the ship alive, to protect her from his enemies he must never see her again . . .

An Undeniable Love
Yumru
Nov 28, 2012 Yumru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Değişik bir hikayeydi beğendim,karakterler gayet etkiliydi.Ne çok fazla entrika vardı nede çok fazla duygu karmaşası vardı kitapta.Yazar konuyu güzel işlemişti,ufak tefek tabiki şöyle olsaydı dediğim şeyler oldu ama güzel bir okuma süreci geçirdim.Birazda çeviriye özen gösterilseydi sanırım dahada güzel olacaktı.
Aemelia
Aug 02, 2010 Aemelia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Regrettably, this book did not sweep me away. I was so excited to get a book that took place on a the high seas with pirates, but that was quickly diminished, mostly because I had a very hard time connecting with Valerie, who came off as to stubborn for her own good. She made rash decisions that seemed foolish to me, and pointless in the growth of the story. I liked Steven, for the most part, but there were times that I though he was a bit to assuming, as to what he expected Valerie to do for hi ...more
Catherine
May 02, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man on a mission. A woman escaping her past. Wow!
It has been a long time since I've picked up a historical romance novel that swept me away (pun intended) as Katharine Ashe's did. OMG, the tension between Steven and Valerie leaps off the pages and left this reader punching her book a couple of times... (kiss dammit, kiss) - Lord, the 'rope' scene {no this isn't an erotic romance} Hot, hot, hot.

Ms. Ashe has used her day job, I believe as a history teacher?, and penned that knowledge into the
Cheeky
Nov 14, 2011 Cheeky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Intially the premise caught my attention however it didn't maintain my attention. This was the only book where I felt throwing it across the room. The heroine, Valerie, was just an impulsive, selfish, and attention-seeking individual. I wouldn't want to talk to her even though the author describes her as an intelligent being. Oh please if she was intelligent shouldn't she stay away. I'm on the fence right now to finish the book because we all know how these historical "romances" ends. Otherwise ...more
Astrid
Jul 06, 2012 Astrid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 really.

I love Katharine Ashe's stories, she's on my auto-buy list and I recommend her without thinking twice. However, I really got frustrated with this book. While Steven is really sweet the first half of the book he is like Jekyll and Hyde in the second part. He has really sweet moments with Valerie but mostly he's cold and awful to her. He changes his mind multipe times wihtin mere pages. Valerie is a really lovely heroine. She's fearless, smart and warm...after about 2/3rd into the book
Esra
Apr 26, 2014 Esra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arkadaşlarımın yorumlarını gördükten sonra korkarak başlamıştım ama sevdim ben kitabı :) Korktuğum gibi değildi.. Steven'ın gizemli halleri, neyin peşinde olduğu falan güzeldi ama kadına habire benim gerçekten ne olduğumu bilsen uzaklaşırsın deyip durdu ama ne olduğunu anlayamadım ben bir türlü kendisi de söylemedi sanırım :D Tamam insan tacirlerinin peşinde de bunu zaten Valerie de biliyordu biz de biliyorduk yani :D Keşke biraz daha dikkatli ve detaylı olsaymış bazı şeyler daha güzel olurmuş a ...more
Jultri
I regret that this book did not bring me as much enjoyment as it has to numerous other readers. Maybe it's my good girl Catholic upbringing, but I found the heroine's instant lusty attraction to the hero's Jesuit priest alter ego just a bit off putting. They exchanged very little words and none of them pleasant on board the ship, yet, one look or accidental touch from him left her in a quivering, wet heap. An unrepentant flirt with a scandalous past, she thinks nothing of using her females wiles ...more
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Definitely not one of my favorites. I was really interested in reading Katharine Ashe's books, and I like to start from the beginning. However, this book book didn't flow well for me. The conversations would just jump to random places, and some things that were going one were overly explained and yet still very confusing. Many scenes just seemed to go way to quickly. I will give it the benefit of the doubt though as a first novel and see if the author progresses.
Sonja
Aug 21, 2010 Sonja rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book-- pirates, priests, ships, castles, intrigue, and a lot of passion! I've never read such a well done "scandalous" lady, with a reputation for being loose. Those are hard to do and still make them likable, but Valerie was very endearing. I also enjoyed the two distinct halves of the book. Without giving spoilers, I'll just say that you get two distinct settings, and ALMOST two distinct heroes. Lots of fun! I recommend it!
Amanda
I almost decided not to read this one due to the relatively low ratings it has gotten. I was definitely glad that I read it anyway because I would have missed out on a really interesting historical romance!

This book held my interest from start to finish, and it kept me wondering how they were going to end up together and what would happen next. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series!
Em's
Jan 11, 2016 Em's rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Lady Valerie Monroe had to leave England to escape scandal, deciding enough time has passed Valerie writes her brother of her plans to return. I have been childish. I have been selfish. I have now had enough of that sort of thing, and enough of exile. I am coming home.

Aboard the same ship, destined for England, is Etienne a Jesuit priest. This is someone Valerie cannot understand, a man who only seeks divine love rather than personal intimacy. Against her will Valerie is captivated by Etienne
Valerie Bowman
The hero's pretending to be a priest and therefore cannot act on his attraction to the heroine. Uh, best setup ever! Need I say more? Plus, of course I love it b/c the heroine is named Valerie.
Melis
May 09, 2013 Melis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ehh sonunda Steven bey gıcıklık yapmasaydı daha iyiydi. Yani bu kadar da odun olmamalı bir insan. Neyse güzel hikaye, okunursa beğenileceğini düşünüyorum.
Barbara ★
I had a love-hate relationship with this book. It started out strong with a very suspenseful kidnapping and voyage on the pirate ship but when they meet again in England, the plot falters. Steven and Valerie have dynamic chemistry on board ship but Steven totally ignores Valerie when they meet again (for her own good of course). I never could understand a woman who keeps going back to a man that mistreats her and that is what Valerie does again and again. Oh yeah, Steven is really a good guy emb ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Valerie has lived the pass two years in exile from the ton, residing in the colonies, rebuilding her reputation. Her sullen image, and sordid clandestine meetings caught up with her in England, and she has taken refuge with her cousins. Now ready to come home, and reunite with her brother, she boards a merchant ship that is soon overcome by pirates. Being a beautiful female among the rough men, her virtue is soon in question. But there is one man that catches her eye.

Lord Ashford, or Steven is o
Eli Yanti
May 13, 2012 Eli Yanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buat yang suka cerita tentang Pirate, ini buku direkomendasikan untuk dibaca, tapi versi English bahasanya susah ;(

Berawal dari Lady Valerie Monroe yang berharap mendapatkan perhatian dari ayahnya sehingga akhirnya membuat skandal kawin lari ke Amerika dengan seorang pemain Biola (yg sebenarnya ngak) dan setelah 2 tahun berlalu, diapun memutuskan untuk kembali ke London menemui abang dan kakak iparnya yang merupakan teman baiknya sendiri.

Lalu Valerie menaiki sebuah kapal yang ternyata milik Stev
Leslie D. Soule
Feb 19, 2012 Leslie D. Soule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Katharine Ashe has created a remarkable blend of history and romance in this novel.
She introduces us to main characters Valerie Monroe and Steven Ashford. It becomes clear that Valerie is escaping an unpleasant situation of some sort, having gained passage aboard a merchant ship. Steven is in disguise as a Jesuit priest. Steven boards the merchant ship that Valerie is on. This ship is then attacked by pirates, and Steven attempts to protect Valerie, hurtling them both into love's hurricane.
Thi
HÜLYA
Feb 21, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kapıldım Sana - Katharine Ashe

Orjinal Adı Swept Away By A Kiss olan Kapıldım Sana Goodreads Puanı 5/3,62 Benim puanım 5/4 Katharina Ashe İlk defa okuduğum bir yazar biraz kaopuklukları olduğunu hissetsem de beğenerek okudum..
Orjinal ve değişik bir hikayesi vardı.Bu tip denizde geçen maceralara bayılıyorum aslında hikayeyi beğenmemdeki etkende bu oldu..

Fakat hikaye ilerledikçe hikayenin erkek karakterine sinir oldum.Kızı terk edip durması dönüp gelmesi bana biraz tuhaf geldi..Hikayenin sonunu çok
Esra
Dec 24, 2012 Esra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Çok sinir oluyorum, şu güzelim kurguları mahfeden yazarlara. Çok üzülüyorum, bu ziyan olmuş kurgulara. İşte öyle bir kitapla daha karşı karşıyayız şu an.
Hikâyemizde Valerie, annesi öldükten sonra kendisine karşı ilgisizleşen babasının dikkatini çekmek için çeşitli kepazelikler yapar. Buna seyis gibi bazı alt tabakadan çalışanlarını ayartmakta dâhil. Sonunda babasına tak eder ve kızımızı Amerika’ya Boston’a sürgüne yollar. Valerie 2 sene gurbette kalır, aklı başına gelir, tövbe eder ve İngiltere
Atunah
Pirates, be there Pirates. Yes there be :)

Sorry, I have a soft spot for historicals that play out at least part on the sea and there better be some pirates in that mix. I got all that and a lot more.

Both the hero and the heroine are not people that fit into what their contemporary society would expect of them. Both are stubborn. Both are flawed. I wanted to strangle both of them at different points of the novel. Or smack them on the back of the head. Snap out of it.
Their interactions are so int
Kimberly
Originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

On her way back home to England, Lady Valerie Monroe’s ship is attacked by pirates. Valerie is no fainting miss, but she is relieved that she is not alone in her imprisonment. A French priest has been taken prisoner alongside her, but something tells her that the priest is more than he seems…and she’s right.

Viscount Steven Ashford is no priest. He is, however, on a mission to bring down a notorious slave trader. Vale
ஐ Canan ஐ `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._
tüf..uzun uzun yorum yazmıştım ama gitti..
kısaca yazayım..Çiftimizin adı Steven ve Valerie..
Valerie geçmişte yaşadığı delidolu hayat tarzı yüzünden ailesi tarafından Amerikaya gönderilir ve 2 yıl aradan sonra dönmeye karar verir.
Bu esnada gemide, kendisini papaz olarak tanıtan Steven'le tanışır.O ilk karşılaşmada bir çekim hissetsede çiftimiz her fırsatta sivri sözler kullanmayıda ihmal etmezler.
Steven çok karışık işlerle meşgul, bu yüzdende Ettienne(isim böyleydi sanırım) isminde, bir papaz kıl
Lourdes
Mar 22, 2013 Lourdes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My rating for this book is definitely average. Though the plot is original and I loved both the adventure and the romantic elements, I found one too many deficiencies in the storyline, lose ends and things that, if you are paying attention, did not make sense. I also found the story dragged whenever the main characters were together, going in circles about the SAME elements of their conflict.
In a nutshell, this is a story I could have loved, the plot had great potential but it fell rather short.
Sevimli Hırsız
Katherine Ashe / Kapıldım Sana
Aslında kitapla ilgili çok yorum görmediğim için bayağı bir tereddütle başladım ama beni oldukça etkileyen bir kitapla karşılaştım.Klasik historical kitaplardan tek farkı giriş kısmıydı diyebilirim.İlerisinde biraz kopukluk vardı fakat konu çok güzeldi , ben o kısımlarda çok takılmadım.
Bi’ kere kitabın girişi gerçekten harika , konunun böyle farklı bir şekilde işlenmesi çok hoşuma gitti. Çiftimiz Valerie ve Steven’ın kaderi yollarını bir ticaret gemisinde kesiştiriy
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 06, 2015 08:25AM
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bastards, #2)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • In Pursuit of a Scandalous Lady (Scandalous Lady, #1)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Captive of Sin
  • A Midnight Dance (Fiery Tales, #1)
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • The Wild Marquis (The Burgundy Club, #1)
  • The Rogue Pirate's Bride (The Sons of the Revolution, #3)
  • Wicked Surrender (Wicked, #1)
  • My Favorite Countess (Stantons, #3)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Seducing the Duchess
  • If You Give A Girl A Viscount (Impossible Bachelors, #4)
Katharine Ashe writes historical romances that reviewers call "intensely lush" and "sensationally intelligent," including HOW TO BE A PROPER LADY, one of Amazon's Ten Best Books of the Year; HOW TO MARRY A HIGHLANDER, a finalist for the 2014 RITA Award; and CAPTURED BY A ROGUE LORD, winner of the Reviewers' Choice Award for Best Historical Adventure. Her novels are translated into languages around ...more
More about Katharine Ashe...

Rogues of the Sea (3 books)
  • Captured by a Rogue Lord (Rogues of the Sea, #2)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)