Start by marking “Under, Over, by the Clover” as Want to Read:
Under, Over, by the Clover

Under, Over, by the Clover (Words are CATegorical)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this fun-filled guide, playful puns and comical cartoon cats combine to show, not tell, readers what prepositions are all about.
Published January 1st 2002 by Carolrhoda Books

To ask other readers questions about Under, Over, by the Clover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under, Over, by the Clover

To Root, to Toot, to Parachute by Brian P. ClearyUnder, Over, by the Clover by Brian P. ClearyLazily, Crazily, Just a Bit Nasally by Brian P. ClearyPunctuation Takes a Vacation by Robin PulverPitch and Throw, Grasp and Know by Brian P. Cleary
Grammar Blast for Kids
2nd out of 32 books — 3 voters
If You Were a Verb (Word Fun) by Michael DahlIf You Were a Homonym or a Homophone by Nancy LoewenPitch and Throw, Grasp and Know by Brian P. ClearyIf You Were an Antonym by Nancy LoewenIf You Were an Adjective by Michael Dahl
Picture Books About Parts of Speech
12th out of 28 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 04, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Great book on prepositions! Many students aren't introduced to the term preposition until later in elementary school, but its relevance is undeniable. Personally, I struggled with this concept for a while simply because it wasn't properly explained to me. Literacy in all of it dimensions is important, but it is also important that students understand how many ways they can manipulate their writing to make it do what they want. This is a FUN book for introducing prepositions and showing how usefu ...more
Amy
Jun 13, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: language
Cleary's playful yet contrived rhymes add fun to a book overtly teaching a part of speech, prepositions, but that could also give kids inspiration to create wacky poetry of their own. Rhyming "direction" with "wrecked shin" somehow works, and I have to applaud that. As in his other books, the concept of a preposition becomes clear by the end, where the reader needs to answer, "What is a preposition? Do you know?" All of the prepositions in the book are highlighted, and when he addresses usage, t ...more
Jeremiah Benjamin
We borrowed this book for Classical Conversations Cycle 1.

My kids (6, 4 and 2) loved this book! They thought the rhymes and illustrations were quite funny. They also started getting the concept of what prepositions are as words. I will definitely keep this one on the list to get 3 years from now when we revisit Cycle 1!

Sarah Ashburn
Jun 23, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Shelves: language-play
Great use of sight words in this book. This does a great job of teaching students different placement words. There could be many activities to go along this that allowed students to not only learn new words but also their meanings and put that into practice. Great teaching tool!
Dolly
Jul 10, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Brian P. Cleary's books. He makes learning fun, and this is a silly and humorous rhyming book about prepositions. His books really entertain children while teaching them basic concepts; our girls really like them. The illustrations by Brian Gable are cartoony and cute, too - we love the cats.

We've read several of the books in the Words are CATegorical series and we've really enjoyed them. We will certainly look for more books by this author/illustrator team at our local library.
Peggy
Feb 27, 2014 Peggy rated it liked it
Just a rhyming picture book that helps explain how to identify prepositions. Not amazing or anything, but helpful. School House Rock is still the best thing I know to help explain grammatical topics.
Emmaus Public  Library
Sep 25, 2014 Emmaus Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun picture book to introduce those often forgotten prepositions!

This parts of speech series, Words Are CATegorical is ideal for introducing the basics.
Elaine
Apr 12, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
Still confused about ending a sentence with a preposition.
Ruth Ann
Aug 23, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, grammar
Part of the "Words are CATegorical" series, this book shows rather than tells the reader what a preposition is. The format definitely is appealing and all the cats will help make grammar "PU-R-R-R-FECT"!
Theresa
"on a list of books recomended for teaching books to students on themes and ideasprepositions a quarky book showing the use of prepositions in sentence structures and their gramatic rules
"
Edna
A great book for introducing young children to English grammar and the use of prepositions by placing them in silly rhyming sentences with funny cartoon character illustrations.
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, words
I am loving this series (Words are CATegorical). The author and illustrator give a great show and tell about prepositions. In all its silliness the lesson is clearly understood.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Another great book by Cleary on grammar rules. I highly recommend all his books as he explains grammatical rules in a clear way.
Carol
Sep 02, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

Good book introducing prepositions. I really enjoyed it, but the different type was difficult for an early reader.
Fariba Aadelvand
Apr 17, 2011 Fariba Aadelvand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: la
A book of prepositions!! Another awesome book filled with great info by Brian P. Cleary.
Angela
Great book for teaching (supplementing) grammar lessons
Part of a series
Annette Steele
Jul 25, 2010 Annette Steele rated it liked it
See my comments on Hairy, Scary, Ordinary...
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jose Carlos
Jose Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Tara
Tara added it
Mar 30, 2016
JP JO
JP JO marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Kaitlyn Wilson
Kaitlyn Wilson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Nuryagdy
Nuryagdy marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Dragos Alexandru
Dragos Alexandru marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kiffle Anne
Kiffle Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 48 1 2 Nov 18, 2012 06:05AM
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage without Apostrophes!
  • Snow
  • Anno's Magic Seeds
  • Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone
  • Even More Parts (Parts, #3)
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame
  • What Time Is It, Mr. Crocodile?
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-Of-War
  • Sneaky Sheep
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
  • Charlie Anderson
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • Trouble Gum

Words are CATegorical (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
  • Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute