Start by marking “Baron: The Cat Returns” as Want to Read:
Baron: The Cat Returns

Baron: The Cat Returns

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The story follows a girl called Haru, a quiet, shy and unassuming high school student who has a long-suppressed ability to talk to cats. One day, she saves a darkly-colored, odd-eyed cat from being hit by a truck on a busy road. The cat turns out to be Lune, Prince of the Cat Kingdom. In return, the cats shower her with gifts of catnip and mice. She is then offered the Pri ...more
Published April 13th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Baron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baron

Selena
Nov 02, 2011 Selena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat-Lovers
This is a very fun manga. Simple as that. Fun characters, fun story, fun settings.

If you like cats, this is the perfect book.
Rob
I enjoyed the movie 猫の恩返し (Neko no ongaeshi, or The Cat Returns) perhaps more than I should have. The artwork was rather different from that of Miyazaki Hayao and his protégés, but the story was solid Studio Ghibli; it also helped that it was a sequel of my favorite movie of all time. Baron: The Cat Returns is an English translation of the manga on which the movie was based. The changes made in the story for the movie version were mostly for the better; but the manga is, nonetheless, a fun read. ...more
Kelso
Apr 03, 2010 Kelso rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
My wife got this for me. We really like the movie “The Cat Returns” put out by Studio Ghibli and we were pretty interested in the book the movie was based on.

It was not disappointing. I think I would say it’s better than the movie and different enough that if you’ve already seen the movie, there are still plenty of surprises. Also, there’s a setup for a sequel at the end. Recommended if you like manga!
 Mimie (Inactive because school)
I also saw the movie of this book and it was beautiful, too. Wow! This book is one of my faves!
Haru is such a great character! And I also admire the story that she is destined to marry a cat. That is bizzare, huh? And she can talk to cats, too.
The book is suitable for everyone. Just read it! No harm will be done.
Aimee
Loved the film, loved the book.
Eileen Shiue
I will admit that maybe part of my rating is I would like to think my beloved Kyukyu is hanging out in some cat world, eating all their fish. :3
Steph
One of my favorite movies, and now one of my favorite mangas, too. It's funny and it's beautiful and it left me with a smile on my face.
Lea
This manga was very good. I like the humor and the funny cat characters. The movie was also excellent. Yay Baron and Muta! :D
Shayma'a
I really liked the story. It was kinda odd to be in love with a doll but it was cute <3.
megan
Nov 22, 2009 megan added it
love
Nina
I just finished watching the movie this afternoon and decided to check the manga out. Though the manga was entertaining enough, I felt like there were one too many scenes that were left out. Which is crazy since the manga DID come out first. I guess I should have read this before watching the movie.

The manga felt very short, but I think that was an adequate length since it did get to tell the whole story in just 3 chapters. If you compare both the movie with the manga, you can see that the movie
Rebecca McNutt
My parents ordered me this book back in the third grade. I'm not usually a fan of anime but the story, the drawings, the characters, it's all so surreal and beautiful! You could sort of call it an Alice in Wonderland with cats. Every character, from enigmatic Baron to awkward but kind Haru to chubby comic relief yet very noble Muta is unique and original. The drawings are detailed even in black-and-white, they look amazing, and although at first glance it seems like just a fun little adventure b ...more
Booknerd
I was very fortunate to find this Manga a at the public library book sale and also appreciate my friend for having me watch this movie when we hung out. This Manga is adapted from the movie and reminded how funny, cute and creative it was.
Hanna
This manga was a lot of fun and just like the movie. It was great to read.
Joe Balough
I love the movie based on this manga. it's a bit short but still quite good
Jill S. Mongold
It would not be fair for me to rate this since it is definitely NOT my genre.
LaTara
I loved loved loved this book. It was a bit different from the movie and I'm glad it was strong enough to stand on it's own. There are some references to things here that are completely different like Baron is much different (at least in looks but he's still ever the gentleman) in the movie but it doesn't detract from the story. Haru is amazing in either story and I totally recommend this graphic novel and the movie to everyone. I think everyone should read this and watch the movie at least once ...more
Romi
This made me appreciate all that went into the film even more; reading the source material was so interesting and I’m so very glad I did, but I love how the film actually built on this and added more depth and characterisation and plot. I do wish this had become a series, though! I’d have adored to see how this went after the first volume.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Un hermoso cuento moderno servido en los códigos del manga, donde la joven Haru ve revuelta su vida tras salvar sin saber al Príncipe de los Gatos. Buscando una solución a las consecuencias, recurre a un peculiar grupo de personajes que la acompañarán en un fantástico viaje en un manga impecable y que se disfruta página a página.
Suu
May 15, 2013 Suu rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Awwww de verdad amé éste manga, es que es una sobredosis de gatos <3 sigue la misma historia de la película con diferencias tan pequeñas que no molestan en lo absoluto.

Los personajes son adorables y ese: "for the friends you've lost" es tan emotivo T____T
Kristen
I read this children's manga for the graphic novel course I'm teaching. Cute story, good illustrations. Not something I would choose to read on my own, but I can appreciate it.
R.M.
I liked it, it seems to make a statement.
Snow
read for NoveList booklists
Nikole
Nikole marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Asuchii Meow
Asuchii Meow marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Carlos Compton-Jimenez
Carlos Compton-Jimenez marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up!
  • Sandland
  • Blood Alone, Volume 1
  • Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise, #1)
  • Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)
  • Earthian, Volume 2
  • Puella Magi Oriko Magica, Vol. 2 (Puella Magi Oriko Magica, #2)
  • Sailor Moon the Novels: Mars Attacks (Sailor Moon 4)
  • Seiyuu-ka! Vol 1
  • Tears of a Lamb Volume 1
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 6 (Tokyo Mew Mew, #6)
  • Angelic Layer, Vol. 03 (Angelic Layer, #3)
  • Wandering Son: Volume Two
  • R.O.D. Read or Die 3 (R.O.D. Read or Die, #3)
  • Sailor Moon the Novels: Mercury Rising (Sailor Moon Number 3)
  • Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liar’s Game, Vol. 1
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #3)
  • Saint Tail, Vol. 01
Whisper of the Heart The Cat Returns Picture Book Shiawase Na Jikan: Mimi O Sumaseba Le Royaume Des Chats Hoshino Namidano Shiruetto