Start by marking “The Mysterious Miss M” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Miss M

The Mysterious Miss M

THE REGENCY UNDERWORLD--SEX, SCANDAL AND REDEEMING LOVE!

The Mysterious Miss M is a living male fantasy--alluring, sensual, masked. But when Lord Devlin Steele finds himself responsible for her--and her child--he comes to know the real Maddy: the loving, passionate woman who drives away the nightmares of the Waterloo battlefield.

But the aristocratic soldier can't support hi
Published November 1st 2005 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Miss M, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Miss M

Lyuda
This was Diane Gaston's debut novel and the winner of the Golden Heart.

The heroine may be problematic for some readers. She is the Mysterious Miss M of the title, a prostitute whose favors are "won" by patrons of her evil protector's gaming hell.

Whether or not a prostitute can work as a romance novel heroine is really a matter of the author's skill in telling the story and in making the characterization believable. There are some very good examples from such authors as Mary Balogh, Megan Chance,
LuvGirl
2.5 stars. I've wanted to read this book for years as the heroine mistress theme is one of my favs, but I didn't necessarily want to buy it so when I saw this as a library ebook, I borrowed it right away. I'm glad I finally got a chance to read it. I thought it was an okay read. I enjoyed the story-line of a down on her luck courtesan and a second son war veteran, but thought It was very predictable.
Lexy Harper
May 27, 2008 Lexy Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most memorable historical romances I have read. The unique story will haunt you and make you pray desperately for a happy ending. I have re-read the story at least five times.
Pamela Fernandes
I had reservations while reading this book. Its starts what off with telling us a fifteen year old Madeleine performing favors at a gaming hell for Farley. Her father sells her off to pay his own debts. Devlin also spends time with her and doesn't realize she's fifteen. I'm sorry but you cannot get away with not knowing how young she looked and not wonder, because she was a child.
Thereafter I continued reading on with a sense of discomfort, because Maddy does not sound like an eighteen year old
Hanife
Uzun bir historical romance perhizinden sonra gene sizlerleyim bayanlar. Kitabımız imkansızlar karşısında direnen iki aşığı anlatmakta bu türe dönüşüm için gayet güzel bir kitap oldu. Ama size tavsiyem bu kitabı sizi nefessiz bırakıcak veya mest edicek kadar güzel bir aşk romanından sonra okumamanız. Haliyle beğenmeme olasılığınız yüksektir. Konumuza gelirse kızımız Madeleine 15 yaşında hain bir lord tarafından tuzağa düşürülmüş ve babası tarafından uygunsuz bir durumda yakalandığından sonrada o ...more
Kay
Jan 17, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print
Erica Anderson
This is a reformed prostitute book, so if you don't care for that sort of Regency, you'd best skip it. (Gaston doesn't delve into the grimier and more sordid aspects of prostitution, as Mary Balogh has done, but it may still be off-putting for some.) The plot centers on a well-meaning young man who enjoyed one night with a lady of the evening before he went off to war. He never forgot her and when she crosses paths with him again, he decides to help her escape her life of prostitution. Much of t ...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Devlin Steele wins a night with the mysterious Miss M in a card game. Both treat their time together as special and want to remember it in future. Devliv to help him while fighting as a soldier and Madeline to help her through the life she is living.

When he returns from war Devlin finds himself responsible for Maddy and her child. He finds himself falling in love with them both but to get in inheritance he must marry a women who his brother approves of.

I could have given this 5 stars, but Maddy'
Soyanut
Feb 09, 2014 Soyanut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mysterious Miss M has everything that I love about Diane Gaston's story. Characters are not always neatly packaged but all so real. In the story, there is a heroin with a young daughter, a hero who cries, not so perfect looking people find real love, and parents who act all selfish and cruel toward their children. You get many kinds of love in Diane's story, and I find that very satisfying.
Thea
Apr 06, 2012 Thea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was sweet.
Devlin's character is quite unbelievable, he's too good to be true.
Nothing really Mysterious about Miss M.
Quite a predictable ending.
However, it was a light & relaxing read.
penelopewanders
Cover on mine is very different. Very original story of a fallen woman and a gamester... quite surprising with such an unusual theme. A couple of times I had to remind myself it was a romance and would have a happy end...moving.
Vasso Chatzimanoli
Μια κοπέλα που έμαθε να επιβιώνει σε αντίξοες συνθήκες και να σώζει όποιον περνάει από το χέρι της χωρίς να περιμένει τίποτα. Ένας στρατιώτης που επέζησε από θαύμα. Ένας υποχθόνιος προαγωγός. Μια μυστηριώδης ιστορία με πολλές ανατροπές.
Cary
Dec 17, 2011 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely on the "sexy" side but the main characters felt realistic and true to themselves. Not a story line that one has read over and over though.
Cady Lorenzana
Good God! I shouldn't have like this book. The heroine was so damaged I should have dislike her...but, but... I LOVE HER. I LOVE ALL IN THIS BOOK!

Tricia
Jun 22, 2014 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual romance with wonderful main characters; really enjoyed it and looking forward to reading more of Diane Gaston's books.
Merrillee Whren
Merrillee Whren rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2009
Aggeliki Katsimardou
Aggeliki Katsimardou rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Lorelie
Lorelie rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2008
Wendy LaCapra
Wendy LaCapra rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2011
Eva S
Eva S rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2009
Monique Takens
Monique Takens rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2012
Shaz
Shaz rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
May Freighter
May Freighter rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Margo
Margo rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Moochiekabuchi
Moochiekabuchi rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Doreen
Doreen rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2008
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Shae Hindes
Shae Hindes rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Marjolein
Marjolein rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Unruly Chaperon
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • Lady Sarah's Son (Historical Romance)
  • The Earl's Intended Wife (Harlequin Historical, #793)
  • Shotgun Grooms
  • Mutual Consent
  • A Worthy Wife
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
  • His Christmas Pleasure (Scandals and Seductions, #4)
  • The Duke's Desire (Harlequin Historical, #528)
  • Bartered Bride
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Captain's Inheritance (Rothschild Trilogy #3)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
Diane Gaston’s dream job had always been to write romance novels. One day she decided to pursue that dream and has never looked back; she is now writing full-time. Her books have won Romance’s highest honour—the RITA Award, the National Readers Choice Award and the Golden Heart. She lives in Virginia with her husband and three very ordinary house cats. Diane loves to hear from readers and friends.
More about Diane Gaston...