Storm Mountain

Storm Mountain

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In this wilderness survival story, the young protagonists' struggles help mend their fractious relationship and strengthen the bond formed by shared tragedy.
Published August 1st 2010 by Holiday House

Kathleen Ferrel
I wasn't crazy about this book. The story seemed to drag right up to the very end. I was hoping for more depth to the story but this book just didn't seem to have it. The main character, Cat, and her cousin have lost their fathers due to a snow storm on Storm Mountain. They wind up finding themselves on the very mountain that was responsible for their fathers deaths in order to spread their ashes. The characters encounter a similar situation on the mountain and must work together to avoid the wr...more
Deanna
Cat is furious with her cousin Ty! His impulsiveness and determination in fulfilling a dream means stealing and risking both of their lives just for the sake of what he “knows” his father would really want. But how could he pull Cat into something so dangerous? Storm Mountain had already taken both of their fathers, two of the world’s most famous mountain climbers. Will they survive with Ty’s limited mountaineering experience? At such a young age, will Cat be able to overcome such treacherous ob...more
Paige Thompson
Storm Mountain is about a girl and her cousin that go on an adventure and end up trapped and lost on a mountain. Not knowing if they will ever get home. In their adventure they try to get home. They face a lot of problems, struggles and suspense.
If I were to evaluate this book on a scale from 1 to 10 1 being the worse and 10 being the best id gives it a 2. It wasn’t as thrilling as I hoped it would’ve been. The story setting and climax were a little odd, and it happened too fast.
Quote: (“Here’s...more
Christy
Mar 23, 2011 Christy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle grade
Cat's mother is away for the weekend and she has made the perfect plans. To hang out with her beloved dog Mugs, make the best pizza ever, have a shot of mocha and stay up all night. Unfortunately, her cousin is left alone for the weekend too and shows up at her door and changes the plans in an instant. According to Ty, he has a dream about his father that leads him to the idea he should spread his ashes atop Storm Mountain where both he and Cat's father lost their lives two years ago. Cat is aga...more
Jean V. Naggar Literary
"Add believable characters, the author’s mountain-climbing expertise and a tear-jerking conclusion, and there’s plenty here for young adventure enthusiasts, especially reluctant readers who prefer brief novels with simple, action-packed plots that can be read in one big satisfying gulp." --Kirkus

“No author has 19 books published by accident; one must possess a winning formula that resonates with readers. Tom Birdseye discovered his blueprint long ago and has captivated young readers for a quarte...more
Alexa Mazur
Have you ever been in a situation where you have been given two choices? You either fight to survive, or you die? Have you ever been so determined to do something that means so much to you, that nothing will stand in your way, no matter how dangerous it is? In the book Storm Mountain, written by Tom Birdseye, there are a lot of things standing in the way of doing something that means so much to someone. Cat and Ty are cousins. Both Cat and Ty’s fathers were world famous mountain climbers. They b...more
Jan
Ever since her father and his twin brother, both famous mountain climbers, died in a climbing accident on Storm Mountain, Cat Taylor and her mother have lived at the base of the mountain. Two years after her father's death, while Cat's mother is out of town at a business conference, her cousin Ty shows up unexpectedly. Since both their fathers had died on the North Face of the mountain, Ty wants Cat to join him in scattering their ashes there. Despite a bad weather report and a lack of adequate...more
Lauren Kilmer
Genre: Realistic Fiction

REMEMBERING: What is the life event that bonds Cat and Ty together?
UNDERSTANDING: How do you think the story would have differed if it were written by an author without the 30 years of mountaineering experience that Tom Birdseye has?
APPLYING: What examples can you find in the beginning of this story that foreshadows the dangerous mission that is ahead for Cat and Ty?
ANALYZING: Even though both Cat and Ty share the same traumatic life event, they have each learned to cope...more
Morgan
Mar 31, 2012 Morgan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students 3-5th grade
I received Storm Mountain as a gift from a very thoughtful student who knows I like survival stories. This book is a work of fiction and though the story is quite implausible and a tad too sentimental for my taste, it does contain a lot of factual information about the sport of climbing. Interestingly, there really is a Storm Mountain located in Oregon, but it is neither in the Cascade range nor as tall as the book describes.

This book was just OK; granted, it's pretty hard for a fictional survi...more
Kimberly Wees
Audience: Grades 4-8 teachers looking to teach their students about survival skills or the importance of dealing with adversity.

Appeal: In the book cousins Cat and Ty go on an adventure to get rid of their father's ashes. Throughout the book they both encounter challenges that many students could relate to. They both come together in hopes of overcoming their problems and they get through it together. Throughout the book they talk about a lot of survival skills and many different climbing techn...more
Zachary Eastman
Jun 03, 2013 Zachary Eastman marked it as to-read
Title: Storm Mountain
Audience: Intermediate
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Remembering
What was Ty's favorite food in the world and what was Cat's favorite food in the world?

Understanding
Describe what happened before Ty and Cat went up Storm Mountain?

Applying
What would you have done if you were Cat stuck on top of the crevasse with Ty stuck inside the crevasse?

Analyzing
What kind of relationship does Ty and Cat have?

Evaluating
What would you have done if you found out Ty went up Storm Mountain alone? Call...more
Mari Anne
Interesting, if not totally believable MG story of two young teenage climbers who try to climb a mountain to scatter their fathers' ashes. This book is a quick read and part of the problem with that is that there is very little character develpment. The author jumps right into the heart of the narrative with very little introduction and therefore I had a hard time connecting with the characters. Likewise he wraps up the story all nice and neat and VERY quickly. It was a good story but not great...more
Carol A.
Audience: Intermediate
Genre: Reality Fiction

1. On what month and day did Scott and Jonathan Taylor die on Storm Mountain?

2. Describe what is meant by irony. What part did it play in this story?

3. If you were Cat in the story, would you have headed up Storm Mountain in pursuit of Ty? Why or why not.

4. By the end of the story, how had the relationship between Ty and Cat changed?

5. How is Ty justified in stealing his uncle's ashes?

6. What changes would you make to the ending of the story to make it...more
Lachie jeffries
This is a book about two cousins whos dads died they were great climbers. Ty the boy takes his and his dads ashes and tries to climb up storm mountain where he was going to spread both dads ashes but Cat the girl didnt want her dads ashes to be spread Cat goes after Ty and they both get caught in a storm they get rescued and in the end both mums and both cousins climb up storm mountain and spread there dads ashes at the summit. This is a great book and I would recomend it to all 5-6 graders.
Alicia
Audience: 4th-6th graders who enjoy realistic fiction, students who take interest in mountains and mountain climbing, elementary and middle school Geography teachers.

Appeal: This story uses mountain climbing vocabulary that may interest students who have an interest in mountain climbing. The book is action packed and would be good for students who enjoy suspense. It could also tie into geography curriculum with the vocabulary within the story.

(Golden Sower Nominee 2012-2013)
Sandra Stiles
If you are looking for a fast paced read, one that will keep you on the edge of your seat then you are looking for this book. I am alway open to a book that teaches me something as well. There is so much mountain climbing information in the book that it really held my interest. All the time I was reading this I kept thinking of one of my students in particular that I want to share this with when I go back to school. I think he will enjoy this book as much as I did.
Krystal Spilger
Audience: 4-6 grade classroom teachers and students.
Appeal: Adventurous story about two cousins trying to survive a mountain. The main characters are easy to make connections to because Ty is spontaneous and Cat is a planner, providing opposite points of view. Mugs, the husky in the story, appeals to animal lovers. Students that enjoy reading books like Stone Fox or Iron Will would like this book.

(Golden Sower Nominee 2012-2013)
Tracie
Cat freaks when her cousin Ty shows up claiming he's going to the summit of Storm Mountain to spread his father's ashes. He wants Cat to go with him, but he's going with or without her. Though she tries to convince him it isn't safe, they both end up in trouble when she goes after him. Will they survive this crazy scheme or perish like their fathers?
Mary Ann
Thrill seekers will probably enjoy this ‘war’ between bickering cousins as they fight the elements on the mountain that took the lives of both their fathers. Careless vs. ‘by the book’ makes for added tension, while if the reader is aware they too will pick up some safety tips that you would want to have if caught out in a blizzard!
Olivia
This book was about 2 kids who wanted to spread their dads ashes on top of Storm Mountain. I liked because the story included a dog. The dog had an important part in the story. My favorite part was when both kids saw someone that could help them get down from the mountain. I would recommend this book to girls in 5th grade.
Ande
The story moves along pretty quickly with good detail on Mountain Storms and ice climbing. The descriptions with the two kids and dog, Mugs, in a snowcave were excellent! Readers who like Gary Paulsen would like this one too.
Deb
It is a great survival story for grades five to eight. The characters are young and easy for kids to connect with. The two characters relationship grows through the story as they overcome adversity.
Pksoper
Dec 24, 2011 Pksoper rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
At least the book was short. It might work for outdoorsy 12-year-olds.

Seriously, one sentence begins "the golden orb..."! Just like a Victorian novel a la Cold Comfort Farm.

No thanks.
5kidder_justin
Storm Mountain was a very quick paced book that was about how Cat had to go on a journey with her cousin Ty to spread their fathers on the same mountain that claimed their life's.
Molly
Grades 4+ Suspenseful the tragedy in this book happens in the past and though a theme is not the central idea. Great for a paulsen reader or wanting a quick suspenful read.
Gail
Audience: Grades 4-6, adventure lovers, mountain climbers
Appeal: adventure, mountain climbers trapped in a blizzard
Award: Nebraska Golden Sower Nominee 2012-2013
Mrs. M
Although the book was short, it felt a bit predictable, not one of my favorites (probably because I've been reading too many survival stories lately!!)
Kelly
For ages 8-12. Not bad...lots of information about climbing mountains (something I know little about). Likeable characters & a quick read.
Martha
Adventure mountain climb. Interesting for those learning about climbing. I did not "feel for" the characters, but interesting read.
Caren
I read this straight through. Thought it was a good choice for 5-6 graders, especially a girl who likes outdoor activities.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ENG 580 Spring 2014: Choice Book #5 - Storm Mountain 1 2 Mar 30, 2014 11:12AM
I grew up in North Carolina and Kentucky, an ardent fan of anything that smacked of sports, crawdads, mud balls, forts built in the woods, secret codes, bicycles without fenders, butter pecan ice cream, and snow. I was, however, decidedly uninterested in writing-or any academic aspect of school, for that matter-never imagining that at the age of thirty-five I would become a published author. And y...more
More about Tom Birdseye...
Attack of the Mutant Underwear Soap! Soap! Don't Forget the Soap!: An Appalachain Folktale Just Call Me Stupid Look Out Jack! the Giant Is Back! Airmail to the Moon