Start by marking “Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time” as Want to Read:
Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time

Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A web application involves many specialists, but it takes people in web ops to ensure that everything works together throughout an application's lifetime. It's the expertise you need when your start-up gets an unexpected spike in web traffic, or when a new feature causes your mature application to fail. In this collection of essays and interviews, web veterans such as Theo ...more
Published June 28th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Web Operations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Operations

The Phoenix Project by Gene KimContinuous Delivery by David  FarleyWeb Operations by John AllspawThe Goal by Eliyahu M. GoldrattRelease It! by Michael T. Nygard
DevOps Reading List
3rd out of 60 books — 44 voters
The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy KidderThe Phoenix Project by Gene KimSkunk Works by Ben R. RichEmpires of Light by Jill JonnesWeb Operations by John Allspaw
Surge 2013 Reading List
5th out of 22 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Philip Hollenback
I work in the operations group of a very large web property, so I'm the target audience for this book. However, I would recommend it to just about any system administrator, because most of the information in this book is widely applicable to our profession.

This is a collection of essays by different authors, so the quality is a bit uneven. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that some of the topics were just boring to me. No big deal though, just skip to the next chapter.

My favorite essay was prob
Robert Postill
Lovely collection of essays regarding the evolution of operations practice. Particularly driven by big web properties like Flickr. In common with most essay collections the collection is overall judged by it's weakest members. The good news is that all the essays contained here are good. Some of them are great but all are of a high standard. If you get a chance read the how complex systems fail essay, great adaptation across fields. Many of the essays have stories in them and explain by simply b ...more
Clarence Bakirtzidis
A great insight into the world of web operations with a collection of essays by a number of authors with real-world experience and learnings from failures. The chapter I thought was the best (probably because I agree with and could relate to a lot of what was said) was Chapter 16. "Agile Infrastructure" by Andrew Clay Shafer. I particularly like this statement "All technology problems are people problems. People are the solution. Every bug, every failure, every outage, every recovery was set in ...more
Miguel David
Web Operations is in my top 3 list of tech books. Mandatory read for anyone that works in support of web applications as well as web developers this book covers topics like the recent devops movement, continuous integration, data management from the storage and database (as well as nosql DBS) perspective.
It does not have a line of code, instead it focuses on providing pearls of experience from well respected Ops guys from Flickr, Opscode and others.
Charles Baker
This book is a must read for anyone working in systems administration and operations in general, not just web operations. The collective experience of the contributors is nearly unprecedented in the industry. The best thing about the book is the emphasis on ways of thinking, planning and working with teams rather than on the tools, although the tools are used to illustrate principles. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Greg
This book isn't written for me--I am not a tech guy--but I market to tech people and so I read this book to understand what's important to them. An interesting experience--akin to being an outsider at a cocktail party. But a well-written book and I really enjoyed the discussions of web operations culture (much more than the tech stuff which, naturally, went right over my head).
Gerard Hovanessyan
I have not read a lot of IT books, covering vast concepts, overviews of general problems, and solving paths. This books offers all that. It covers real problems and offers way of thinking and methodology of approaching the solutions. I really liked it!
Larry Wright
This covers pretty much everything you need to know about running a large website, from all angles: people, process, and technology. It's a great primer, and it's written by the people behind some of the largest sites around, with plenty of battle scars.
Matt Lavin
If I had the option, I would probably have given this book at 2.5 instead of a 2. Some chapters were really interesting and I learned some new ideas. Other chapters were less interesting and it was harder to keep interested in the book.
Sweemeng Ng
This book is pretty good, covers a lot of ground from experience from many author that actually faces this problem. Many good idea which hopefully I am able to try out. Highly recommended
Mike Krus
good real world accounts on scaling web sites, nice pointers to tools and best practises.

Fascinating insite in the world of web ops, makes me glad I'm not doing that for a living ;-)
Gyuri
Started reading it, and jumped to different parts. Operation is certainly is huge area, this books seems to cover pretty many of what needs to be understood.
Martti
Good overview and advice on running web scale operations. Infrastructure as a code, Kanban and shared stories of experienced gurus.
Steven Murawski
Excellent book. There were a number of great topics discussed by practitioners and industry experts from a variety of backgrounds.
Zach
Lots of very useful information, although the books editing is spotty and the content is sometimes repetitive.
Hector
Solid book. Has great examples that help bridge the gap between operations and management.
Jairo
Very good book, gives you a wide perspective of webops which does include a lot more than servers.
David Robillard
Clearly an important book for anyone responsible of web operations. It's all there!
Zach
Good user stories of the evolving industry in large scale web deployments.
Humanoit
Книга уверенно входит в мой ТОП-10 книг 2012 года.
Phil Chen
Great book, very current.
Tomek
Tomek marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
I342
I342 marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Aleksi
Aleksi marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Richard Steele
Richard Steele marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Panji Aryaputra
Panji Aryaputra marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Igor Kurochkin
Igor Kurochkin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Gustavo de Aquino
Gustavo de Aquino marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Duplicate 1 4 Mar 30, 2011 06:23AM
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • The RSpec Book
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • RESTful Web Services Cookbook: Solutions for Improving Scalability and Simplicity
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • RESTful Web Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
The Art of Capacity Planning: Scaling Web Resources Art of Capacity Planning: Scaling Web Resources