Start by marking “Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence” as Want to Read:
Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence

Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The American Revolution was a home-front war that brought scarcity, bloodshed, and danger into the life of every American. In this groundbreaking history, Carol Berkin shows us how women played a vital role throughout the conflict.

The women of the Revolution were most active at home, organizing boycotts of British goods, raising funds for the fledgling nation, and managing
Published February 14th 2006 by Vintage (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Revolutionary Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Mothers

Kim
A fascinating glimpse into the lives of many women at different levels of society during the Revolutionary War. The first few pages were a bit dry and difficult to get through, but once I was past them, I was hooked.

I greatly enjoyed hearing the many stories of heroism performed by the women of the era, be they patriot or loyalist. These women proved that they were every bit as invested in the events of the era as their fathers, husbands, and sons. Even though they were denied many of the same
Wisteria Leigh

Much praise is given to Carol Berkin for this important addition to our American Revolutionary War history shelves. It is a fascinating history of women that may surprise some readers and raise questions for others. Often overlooked and forgotten, the women who lived and died while the struggle for our independence was fought are recognized in REVOLUTIONARY MOTHERS: WOMEN IN THE STRUGGLE FOR AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE.

Some may be surprised to learn that Martha Washington and many other officers wiv
Pamela
I'm giving this three stars to applaud Berkin for bringing these women and their stories to light. However, I wasn't thrilled by the presentation, There is a lot of room for bringing this exciting era and these women to life. Unfortunately, Berkin's prose and the organization of her material seems hamstrung by her academic background. It is more readable than most academic tracts, but still flat and workaday. If she had only trusted the women's own words from their letters and diaries to give us ...more
Paul Haspel
Revolutions are not made by men alone, as Carol Berkin makes clear in her book Revolutionary Mothers. This study of the American Revolution is distinctive in its focus on Women in the Struggle for America’s Independence. Berkin, a professor of American history at Baruch College, provides a thoughtful look at the roles that women from a wide variety of backgrounds and classes played during the Revolutionary War.

Starting with a consideration of the place assigned to women in the English colonial s
Melissa (ladybug)
Really good. The author tells us the story of the women during the Revolutionary War. Both loyalist, Patriot and even British women. I loved this about the book. We are able to get a view of both sides of the problem. I was lead to understand the issues and the feelings of both sides of the war.
Cathy Griffith
Very good! My favorite part was the story of Frederika Charlotte Loiuse von Massow, the Baroness von Riedesel from Wolfenbuttel. I must do some research on her. We have friends from Wolfenbuttel, which is a mid-size town in Germany.
Sarah Marjorie
Revolutionary Mothers; Women in the Struggle for American Independence

By Carol Berkin

My thoughtful husband gave me this perfect gift on Mother's Day. The book with its fascinating topic was neatly organized in a readable fashion.

It would be cliche to say that "I couldn't put it down", right?

Well, I couldn't.

Oh! The torment of peeling my eyes of its page!

"Goodness! Sarah, look at the time. Seriously." Obviously, Thomas wasn't reading this book or he would have understood.

"It's YOUR fault f
Emily
A fascinating, intimate look at a wide variety of women and their experiences during the American Revolution. Ms. Berkin has a nice flow to her writing; I felt like I was reading a story book rather than a history text. The women she profiles are so varied, from Martha Washington to Molly Brant (a Mohawk Indian who married the British northern superintendent of Indian affairs), camp followers to Native American negotiators. I loved her use of first person accounts and appreciated her recognition ...more
Tom
If you want to learn more about the social history of the United States, not just the cries of Paul Revere, or the exploits of George Washington. If you want to hear the voices that have been silenced for too long, or drowned out by outbursts like Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!" then this is a perfect read for you.

Carol Berkin does a brilliant job of giving voice to the women of the American Revolution. Berkin presents first hand accounts of women who supported men, fought
Andrew Brozyna
Revolutionary Mothers is an important contribution toward our understanding of the Revolutionary War and women in early American society. The book is a study of all women who were affected by the war—at all levels of society and on both sides of the conflict. Bergan begins with a description of the gender roles found in the American colonies before the Revolution. When war breaks out we learn about the wives of patriot politicians and generals, ordinary mothers and daughters, loyalist women, sla ...more
Michael Hattem
While there have been numerous "popular" books about women in the American Revolution, this one stands above the others as history. This is because not only does Professor Berkin have a most readable style but she is a true historian. This book seeks to show the different roles women played in the Revolutionary period through vignettes detailing specific (and, in the case of Molly Pitcher, not-so-specific) women. Highly illuminating for those who may only be familiar with political or military h ...more
Brett Peto
In most every popular history of the American Revolution, women are present, but rarely featured as protagonists, rarely drawn with much complexity. But if women constitute about half the population of any area, is it not ignorant to treat them so shabbily?

Historian Carol Berkin appears to have made her contribution to rectifying this problem with "Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence."

"Revolutionary Mothers" swaps the traditional importance placed on men with
Heather
I swear I already did this review. Stupid phone. Stupid user . . .

The book was okay. There is a lot of material for a good historical fiction writer to use, and more women than I can count who I'd love to know more about. The book was very academic and a little dry at times, but mostly just left me wanting to know more than what is available through historical records. Thus the historical fiction reference.

The information about camp life was probably the best fleshed out section of the book, a
Samantha Bartley
I had to read this book for history class. If I wasn't pressured into finishing it at a certain time and didn't have to write a lengthy book critique on it, I may have enjoyed it more. The writing was good, and it kept my interest for the most part. I felt the author was very passionate about the topic. It also helped me look at the revolution differently. This book is not filled with stories you've read in your textbook. These stories and brand new and different. This isn't a bad thing...but it ...more
Rachel
It was interesting to read about some of the things that women did, the ways that they participated in the American Revolution.

My particular struggle is this: I appreciate franchise rights, property rights, liberty rights and the efforts made by women (and men) to secure these rights -to codify them. It's great that society recognizes that women have the right and ability to participate in politics and business. I wish it wasn't so regularly accompanied by the implication that the traditional (
Jenniet Galvan
This was a nice, easy read. After reading "Women of the Republic" by Linda Kerber I could tell this was basically a re-hashing of the earlier work with a better focus on minority groups. For those that want a less scholarly stroll through Women's Revolutionary History this book fits the bill. It's a fairly easy and enjoyable read.
DH Hanni
Excellent! Informative yet short and to the point. A very balanced look at women's varied roles during the American Revolution. The author doesn't take sides and presents the war from different groups: patriots, loyalists, rich, poor, blacks, and Native Americans. Great book to read and very inspiring.
Stacey Preston
Interesting, and yet frustrating. I'm not sure I liked the writing style, I felt like it jumped around. And also, there just wasn't anything new to me in here. It was either, "yeah, that's how I would have guessed the women would have acted", or "yeah, I've read of this before". But, basically an interesting read for what the women went through during the revolutionary war.
Tako
Jan 25, 2009 Tako added it
Shelves: read-2008-2009
The reason why I started readiong this book was the history propject, but as i was looking for some qwuotes i got very interested in this book. Even the cover grabs the readers attention, there's a women with a gun in her hands, that women represents all the american first ladies. Berkin calls them "Revolutionary mothers." they were really revolutionary, each first lady lived in sucha different time periods but they have some stuff in commom. I like the wway the author described those first lad ...more
Kate
I really enjoyed this book, because it gave really good summaries of what different groups of women were experiencing during the American Revolution. Instead of focusing on a single group, it gave accounts for several including Tory women, African Americans, Native Americans, Camp-followers, officers wives, etc. With this said, the accounts were obviously not extremely detailed. However, I think Berkin did a fine job of giving readers a good overview, with some detailed describtions. Berkin's mo ...more
Amy Lynn
You didn't really think that the men did all the work in the founding of our nation, did you? If you believe that all that the women of the Revolution did was stay home, raise babies, and make cookies then you NEED to read this book! This is an inspiration and a must-read for anyone who wants a clear picture of how women purposely, diligently, and decisively aided in the founding of our nation to include some who fought alongside the men. Carol Berkin offers an highly accessible and historically ...more
Momma
Nothing special
Stacy
Berkin is an impressive historian, with a terrific ability to relay a story, especially these stories about women in the American Revolution. When I teach American history, I make an effort to point out the lives of those who are marginalized by the standard historical narrative. In all honesty, American historians do attend to these people, so it's not hard to do. Berkin is among the very best, placing their lives in context and place. An easy, engaging read. Highly recmmended!
Susan
There isn't a lot of recorded information on women during this era. So much information was general and loyalist, slave, and native women were included to to pad out the information. So the title Revolutionary Mothers was misleading as not all the women discussed were mothers and the were not all patriots. Interesting but not compelling. I did enjoy the quotes from Abigail Adams. At least she felt safe expressing her concerns to her husband about the rights of women.
Heather
This is an excellent introductory book on the topic of women in the American Revolution. Berkin doesn't just discuss the famous white women, such as Abigail Adams, but instead devotes chapters to slave women's and Native American women's experiences. I felt that a major drawback of this book was its length. I really wish it could have been longer! There were so many figures, and so much material, that I'd be very excited to see an expanded version.
Kara
I respect the tremendous amount of research that must have gone into this book and I appreciate that women from different sides of the revolution were included. I'm glad there was a little explaination and "back story" and I'm sure that there is a limited number of the accounts of these women, but I just wish there had been less disection of their actions and more stories of what the women did.
Kathy
Not what I was expecting, but an okay read all the same.
Some fairly interesting tidbits of history. The writing is very much like reading a history text, I have read many other histories and know that the writing can make or break the interesting factor of the book.
I would have enjoyed more depth, but agree with the author that the woman's role was not often recorded in history.
Donna Thorland
The lucid introduction articulates how and why we've lost sight of so many remarkable early American women and the work needed to recover them. Highly recommended.
Jackie
Carol Berlin is the most amazing author for women in history. This book was an informative read using real women in history as her content. I heard her speak at an institute and would jump at the opportunity to be a part of a discussion group with her. A person cannot be informed about the revolution without the study of how women had an impact and were effected.
Mike
Berkin does a great job here, re-telling the familiar story of the Revolution from different angles. Even the familiar anecdotes of Molly Pitcher and Deborah Sampson Gannett gain new depth and sophistication in Berkin's telling. I think this one will be most appreciated by folks with a pretty solid background in the history of the era.
  • Martha Washington: An American Life
  • Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America
  • Signing Their Lives Away
  • The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence
  • American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson, the Woman Who Defied the Puritans
  • The Peabody Sisters: Three Women Who Ignited American Romanticism
  • Betsy Ross and the Making of America
  • Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, and Anxious Patriarchs: Gender, Race, and Power in Colonial Virginia
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750 1800
  • Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750
  • Robert Morris: Financier of the American Revolution
  • Frauen: German Women Recall the Third Reich
  • Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier
  • Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War
  • Mothers of Invention: Women of the Slaveholding South in the American Civil War
  • Death by Petticoat: American History Myths Debunked
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
A Brilliant Solution: Inventing the American Constitution Civil War Wives: The Lives and Times of Angelina Grimke Weld, Varina Howell Davis, and Julia Dent Grant Wondrous Beauty: The Life and Adventures of Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte First Generations: Women in Colonial America Women's Voices, Women's Lives