Start by marking “Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World” as Want to Read:

"A rich panorama of our native heritage which allows the seeker access to the heart of the Path of Beauty. Ed McGaa has walked this path so that all people may live in harmony."

Samie Sams, Hancoka Olowanpi, author of Midnight Song: Quest for the Vanished Ones

"Ed McGaa is one of the first persons who can write about 0glala religion in the first person because he has lived i
Published May 10th 1990 by HarperOne (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Earth Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Earth Spirituality

Aaron Urbanski
Feb 16, 2011 Aaron Urbanski rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
What a great read! This book has rejuvenated my spirituality, and was the catalyst to 3 supernatural feats I experienced this summer & I will cherish forever. The first half gives a little background information about Black Elk's vision and then moves on to Native American traditions such as the vision-quest, the sweat lodge, the sun dance etc. Highly reccomend to all!
Rah~ri
Oct 22, 2007 Rah~ri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nate
So ya wanta learn about shamanism, hmm? : ) Dude. It's better to ask the aliens to come and get you right now ! Shamanism exists in every culture. In order to really learn about it though it's better (IMOHO) to chose a culture you love and go to the roots of it. The roots of that society/the religion/the cultural beliefs of the people that are so ingrained that the general populace don't even know they exist. Your looking at Native American stuff so a good way to get to the shamanistic stuff is ...more
Scott Block
Jan 10, 2012 Scott Block rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-read
A wonderful, straight forward look at spirituality. This book really gives you an understanding of Native American beliefs and their relationship with the earth and all things natural. It goes into all aspects of their religion, how they practice it, the ceremonies that are used to practice it, and how it is used in their everyday lives. It's an educational read, a spiritual read and, I believe, a book that anyone can read and come out a better person.
Alyssa
Nov 23, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and fuels compassion for all living things. The Natives had it right. McGaa writes honestly and simply. I read this book very quickly.
Jonathan
Jan 07, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Similiar to "The Way", this book led me in the right direction for who I am today.
Summerrain
Jun 28, 2014 Summerrain rated it it was amazing
Native American Spirituality, Loved It!
Gwendoline Van
Jul 13, 2014 Gwendoline Van rated it really liked it
The tattered and worn cover from the library copy I checked out of this book should've been enough to convince me that I'd find Mother Earth Spirituality as riveting as previous readers, but alas, I remain beyond pleased and touched by the contents of its pages.

Ed McGaa introduces us "two-legged" folks to the realm of Sioux spirituality, offering ceremonies and symbolism for greater connection to each other and Mother Earth. McGaa lays down the foundation with forays into the medicine wheel, th
Mary Helene
It's unsettling to read something published 25 years ago and to feel how our communal viewpoints have shifted and not shifted. Ed McGaa (Eagle Man) writes very honestly. I could feel this book is coming out of a culture foreign to me, and yet shaped by the same cultural institutions. It is primarily a spiritual book written by a Marine, lawyer, professor and tribal leader with a voice clearly Indian.
I am now paying closer attention to Standing Rock; this text is surely background to that phenom
Sara
This book was recommended by Gloria Steinem as being a good representation of a spiritual belief system that includes women as equals. This book goes explain that very well.

Eagle Man lifts the veil on sacred Sioux spiritual activities - sweat lodges, spirit guides, sacred stones, vision quests, the White Buffalo Calf Woman, peace pipes and more are explained in detail. Eagle Man advises he wrote the book for all of us, not just the red man, to be able to use the ways of the red man to grow close
Reuel
Mar 10, 2008 Reuel rated it it was ok
I read this book while attending an Intercultural Communication conference in Banff, Alberta. Although the book was too spiritual for me, it presented the perspective of native American tribes and fit well with the conference and location.
Todd
Jan 31, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it
This is a good book for getting a foundational knowledge of native American (plains) spirituality. McGaa is a second generation learner and does not have a pure Indian outlook, not to mention that he is quite opinionated, but it is worth the read.
Francesca Lorenzini
I contenuti non sono bene organizzati; è più un flusso di ricordi, riflessioni e appelli.
E' interessante in quanto testimonianza diretta di un nativo oglala che ha assistito alla rinascita della spiritualità del suo popolo e al progressivo recupero delle tradizioni.
Tracy Johnson
Aug 10, 2016 Tracy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Native American writer, man of many talents Eagle Man doesn't disappoint. A lot detail and interesting perspectives from a true Native American Spiritualist
Dawn
Dec 25, 2007 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: white folks everywhere-hahaha
it is a clear explaination of Lakota spirituality
It is also a great way to live your life in balance
Lynn Wilson
Jun 29, 2008 Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A really important book for those who are interested in the well-being of earth. Also of interest for anyone interested in Native American beliefs and practices.
Ann Sargent
Ann Sargent rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Kendig
Kendig rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Cheri Keller
Cheri Keller rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Chrissi Matusevics
Chrissi Matusevics rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Reazon Da
Reazon Da rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Dan Shamanbear
Dan Shamanbear rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Suzanne Ray
Suzanne Ray rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Alejandro
Alejandro rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2011
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Waive Linden
Waive Linden rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2007
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • Earth Medicine: Ancestor's Ways of Harmony for Many Moons
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance
  • The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living
  • Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing
  • The Wind Is My Mother
  • 365 Days Of Walking The Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day (Religion and Spirituality)
  • The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature
  • The Tao of Watercolor: A Revolutionary Approach to the Practice of Painting

“Guns and swords are ineffective against the complex and varied assaults of an environment thrown out of natural balance.” 2 likes