The Mother's Almanac

The Mother's Almanac

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A national bestseller with more than 750,000 copies in print, now revised for the new mothers of the '90s -- the latest findings on health, advice for working mothers, facts about the influence of TV, and more.

B & W illustrations throughout.
Published September 24th 1975 by Main Street Books (first published May 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother's Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother's Almanac

Jan
Finally! I found a newer used copy of this book at the resale shop and was quite excited about that as I'd leant my book to someone many years ago and it was never returned to me. This book is invaluable for any mom , whether you're at home with the children all day by yourself, or only see them at night after work. It's just like a good conversation with an older friend who's been thru whatever childhood trauma you're experiencing at the moment. Although I'm a seasoned grandmother now, it will...more
Kelsey
The post partum sex advice made me angry. This paragraph is horrible:
"although most o.b.s ban intercourse until the 6 weeks check, most new mothers do not.3 weeks is much more like it. They just don't tell, figuring its better to have loved and hurt than wait another month. The quicker you return to the good life the quicker your family will get settled. Sex is a lovely tranquilizer but remember to have your husband use a condom to prevent infection and pregnancy."

Dated, demeaning,, misogynisti...more
Allison
Sep 28, 2008 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of small children
Recommended to Allison by: my mom
Shelves: parenting
My mom never mentioned it until I had my own child (or maybe I just never paid attention), but my neighbors growing up wrote this book. It's pretty great. The first bit of the book goes over their parenting philosophy, which is basically to foster independent, creative, respectful, and inquisitive children. Most of the rest of the book is dedicated to ideas for projects, science expiriments, and etc. Violet is way too young for most of this, but I definitely will come back to the book as she get...more
Melissa B.
I opened my Mother's Day present from my mom and immediately recognized the cover of this wonderful book. My mom used it when I was little and now I have a copy! Has great advice for raising a child to be a kind, respectful member of society. And it is a comfort to know all Two's are naughty little buggers, not just mine!
Sunkissd1 Base
This is a really good book for mother's of any experience level. There's very solid advice for dealing with kids of all ages, fun things to do, projects, recipes and tips. I think every mother should get a chance to read this book!
Caroline
My mom gave me this. I like it because it begins with the premise that children are not here to be idolized or molded into models of ourselves but to be enjoyed. Also it has a recipe for play-dough in it. Who doesn't love play-dough?
Karri Lewis
Sep 27, 2007 Karri Lewis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of young children
This is a really sweet and anecdotal book for moms of young children. Helps give ideas and fun things to do from a group of other moms. This is a classic parenting book from the seventies. It has been revised.
Jane
Aug 21, 2008 Jane added it
This book was the one I used the most when I was a mother of young children. They have all grown-up, but I gave this to each of my daughters-in-law when they had babies.
Mel
I'm not much for mommy-advice since I'm more from the "fly by the seat of your pants" parenting school, but this one wasn't too bad.
Reuel
A book full of practical parenting advice with lots of fun activities and explorations to do with your preschool child.
Caroline
From this book I began to suspect it might be possible to raise children without losing my mind.
Mara
This is the BEST parenting book I have ever received. It has never failed me yet.
Shay
Sep 27, 2007 Shay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms
love the crafts section.
Denise
Denise added it
Aug 23, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jennifer Williams
Jennifer Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
syndicated columnist for Washington Post on parenting issues"
More about Marguerite Kelly...
The Mother's Almanac II The Mother's Almanac Goes to School Marguerite Kelly's Family Almanac: The Perfect Companion for Today's Family--a Helpful Guide to Navigating Through