Start by marking “Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy, #3)

Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy #3)

Can a knight sacrifice everything he holds sacred in service to his king?

King Richard is being held for ransom in Germany, and England is in chaos without a sovereign. The de Granvilles must deliver the treasure that will win their King's freedom.

But the Old Man of the Mountain, leader of the Assassins, is ready to take his revenge on Kamil. To do so he will orchestr
Published April 3rd 2007 by Walker Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Blaze of Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze of Silver

Krisanne Stewart
Jun 06, 2012 Krisanne Stewart rated it it was amazing
I have put off reading the last one because I don't want to say good-bye to the characters, but I'm putting my big girl panties on and bracing for the end. Sigh.

It is with great sadness that I say good-bye to some of my very favorite characters ever: Will, Ellie, Kalim, and most of all, Hoseanna. I finished this book in two days, and immediately went to Amazon.com and ordered her other trilogy. Hopefully those books will help heal the hole in my heart. Historical fiction is one of my least favor
Denise
Jul 02, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This is by far the best book of the three. Grant continues to make the characters more believable and more lovable. She spins the tail so that you end up partially in the dark and partially knowing things the characters don't know which can be frustrating but pleasing at the same time. I really feel like this was the most original of the three books as well as being action packed. Even when the action lulls she continues to keep your interest in a way that only the best of authors can.
Cassidy
Jun 16, 2009 Cassidy rated it it was amazing
Like all the rest of the books, I loved it. Everything panned out almost exactly as I had hoped it would, but definitely not predictable. I loved how all the characters were brought together by Hosanna. Overall the series was exciting and just really interesting and enjoyable.
Georgie Penn
*sob* Although this book is pretty good, it's really the ending that gives it that extra star.
A great end to a fabulous trilogy!
Clarica
Oct 10, 2011 Clarica rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I give this book a 4.5. Actually, I give this whole series a 4.5. :) It was historical fiction (more heavy to the fiction than to the historical) with some romance, and feel that I learned from the book. I learned more about the Crusades, King Richard's imprisonment, King John's attempt to take over the throne, and relations between early Muslims and early Muslim extremists.
Most of all, I fell in love with the story and the characters. The story kept me interested most of the time, and spent 1-
Alex Schmidt
May 15, 2014 Alex Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Blaze of Silver is an enormous improvement from Blood Red Horse, the first book of the trilogy. The central theme of the story - conflicting loyalties - is timeless, being just as relevant today as it was during the twelfth century. The characters are often faced with painful, difficult, and frustrating decisions - friendship or patriotism? love or honor? service or freedom? To side with one means to betray the other, and the choices they make are completely unpredictable, sure to catch the read ...more
Lady Knight
By the end of Green Jasper, I was really wondering why I loved this series when I was a teen. By the end of this one, I remembered exactly why I loved it as a teen, and really, really like it now.

While Gavin's grave is still relatively fresh, life at Hartslove goes on. Will still moons after Ellie. Marissa moons after Will. Kamil moons after Ellie. Elric loves Will. It really sounds like a soap opera... except it's not. King Richard is still emprisoned in Germany, and Will is responsible for del
Linnae
Oct 20, 2010 Linnae rated it liked it
It's been so long since I read the first two, I probably should have started at the beginning again. I remembered there was a red horse involved, and a love triangle involving 2 brothers who both loved the same girl. It took me awhile to get up to speed again.

Set during King Richard's England, right after the Crusades, when he has been captured and the German Emperor is demanding a huge ransom for his return. Will has been put in charge of delivering the share of the ransom from his region. His
Katie
Apr 03, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Seeing that it took me over a year to finish this book, I'd have to say that I didn't think it was that great. But I did finish it, so I guess that says something. :) The author's writing style just didn't click with me - this wasn't one of those "can't put it down" books, obviously. It was nice to have some resolution at the end of this trilogy, but I felt like it was too little, too late. I waited so long (through three books) to see what happens, then I felt like it ended really quickly. I li ...more
Corri
Jul 31, 2011 Corri rated it liked it
Well It's really about time that I finished this series. I did enjoy these books, they aren't dystopian, or fantasy, or paranormal. Its simple fiction based back during the Christian Crusades. And for that reason it was a lovely break from the normal teen reading. I did only give it three stars because it's not really...fantastic. Let me explain a little. The books are entertaining, and the characters are very well developed throughout the series, however, nothing fantastic really happens for th ...more
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is Book 3 of the de Granville Trilogy, although it all started with Blood Red Horse. This one rocked! It was much better than Green Jasper (book 2) which had me worried.[return][return]Will, Ellie, and Kamil are growing up and growing apart. Kamil is drawn back to his Saracen self and Will is determined to win Ellie over. But first they have to pay King Richard's ransom and struggle on with the crusades.[return][return]As always, Hosanna, the red horse, is my favorite character. I grew up o ...more
Angie
Aug 02, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
Such an interesting series....I didn't like the first one, "Blood Red Horse" very much, the battles were a little to repetitive and the story line was almost non-existent, but the second one "Green Jasper" was fabulous! (It was almost like a different author had written it) This third book, "Blaze of Silver", might just be my favorite of the whole series. The characters are all so wonderfully written, and you've become so endeared to them that you find yourself genuinely caring about who lives a ...more
Diane
Jan 17, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
It had just occurred to me that Ellie was very Mary-Sue-ish.
The girl just has to be good at everything: horse riding, languages, medicine. And her milk shake brings all the boys to the yard because lo and behold, another love triangle (or a square if you count Marissa).
But since William is sort of the almost perfect boy next door too, I figured that they belonged together.

Even though I noticed all that, I still really liked the characters (most of them anyway) and I was very much invested in th
Barton Hills Sixth Grade
May 27, 2014 Barton Hills Sixth Grade rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the blood red horse trilogy. It is by far the best. I have to admit the beginning and the middle of the first book is boring. But if you stick through it Green Jasper and Blaze of Silver(this book) Are amazing. The worlds history is a lot bloodier than you think. Even before WW1 and WW2 were the crusading times. The real battle doesn't take place on the battle fields. It is the battle of love, survival, and death. The love triangle is unforgettable as well as the surpri ...more
Brandy
Jul 20, 2010 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
I absolutely loved listening to these books. I want to start over. The story is so beautiful and intense. The characters continue to do what's right even in the face of real adversity. They have to face so much to succeed. There were so many moments when I almost couldn't listen anymore, terrified of what was to come. Awesome!! Awesome!! The narrator Maggie Mash was perfect. I want a horse like Hosannah- faithful, smart, and gave so much to so many people. He almost died more times than I could ...more
Kathy Lane
laze of Silver is third in the Granville Trilogy by K.M. Grant.
It has the feel of an epic movie with sweeping views of forest, desert, sea, knights, nuns and horses. It is set during the Crusades, but I can't attest to how well it would stand up to a historical fiction label.

While there are interesting elements, fealty/loyalty, jealousy, unrequited love, relationships across barriers and good character sketches, I don't feel it stands on its own for Thumbs Up.

Kelly
Jan 15, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
I didn't realize how much I was enjoying these books until after I would read each one. For me, these books weren't major page turners, but I kept thinking about them afterward- and looked forward to completing the series. So though I gave the first two books only three stars each, I would give this series 4 stars overall. The characters were memorable, and each drew strong emotional responses from me as I read. Good story, great historical fiction.
Vicki
Apr 21, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tween
The ransom for King Richard is being taken to Germany where deceit and evilness create an air of sadness, jepordizing a friendship of Kamil and perhaps sacrificing Hosana to save the king. A great ending to this trilogy.
Emma
Apr 20, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it
Another end to a good series. And what a good end too. Blaze of Silver, unlike many other series-ending books I've read, has a very nice ending to it. Not quite the happily ever after picture, but very close.
Maegan
Aug 18, 2009 Maegan rated it it was amazing
Jenny
Sep 15, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, historical
This is the final volume of the deGranville trilogy. Will, the new Duke, is raising the ransom for King Richard. Accompanied by Ellie, Kamil, and the horse Hosanna, Will must face battle and betrayal from his closest friend and be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for his king.
Teagan Stewart
This better make up for how dumb Green Jasper was. That's all i have to say. [[BEFORE

This didn't really make up for how dumb Green Jasper was. In short, its okay but I'd rather not have wasted my time when i could've been reading other things. [[AFTER
Shelley
May 06, 2010 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone over 14 yrs
The final chapter in the De Granville Trilogy. The Ransom is ready to be delivered to free King Richard. The Old Man on the Mountain is ready to take revenge on Kamil. Full of action, intrigue, friendship, love, betrayal, and forgiveness. Excellent!
Heather
Jul 05, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
This one was, by far, my favorite of the series. I read it very quickly - in just a few sittings, really, and probably could've finished it in a day if I had the time. Very captivating story, and I think one almost anyone could enjoy.
Michelle Polk
Oct 15, 2008 Michelle Polk rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a wonderful trilogy! I hope they make a movie out of this one. (hopefully they wouldn't ruin it like Eragon!) I recommend this book and the rest of them for everyone. It is full of excitment and intrigue!
Evelyn
Pretty good book. I hadn't noticed how easily the writing slipped between POVs - not enough to get whiplash, but enough to be prevented from sinking into any of the characters. Very nice cover.
Stephanie Kurth
Jun 06, 2016 Stephanie Kurth rated it it was amazing
Wow this was an amazing end to the series, the conclusion was great and it definately finished the story. A must read.
Madeline S
Oct 23, 2009 Madeline S marked it as to-read
Not yet read yet, but will soon!
Sophie
Jun 14, 2013 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
C
Leonore
Nov 18, 2007 Leonore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but definitely a great read.
  • Rider in the Dark
  • The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)
  • Far Traveler
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • The Borrowed House
  • Lara at Athenry Castle (Hoofbeats: Lara and the Gray Mare, #3)
  • At Home in North Branch (Grandma's Attic #8)
  • Golden Daughter (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7)
  • The Shield Ring
  • Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles, #3)
K. M. GRANT was inspired by her own family history to write How the Hangman Lost His Heart. Her ancestor, Colonel Francis Towneley, or Uncle Frank, was the last man in Britain to by hanged, drawn, and quartered. His head was passed down for generations of her family until it was finally reunited with his body just after World War II, when it was buried at St. Peter’s Church. It was Uncle Frank’s c ...more
More about K.M. Grant...

The de Granville Trilogy (3 books)
  • Blood Red Horse (The de Granville Trilogy, #1)
  • Green Jasper (The de Granville Trilogy, #2)