Start by marking “Reinventing Government: How The Entrepreneurial Spirit Is Transforming The Public Sector” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"A landmark in the debate on the future of public policy."--"The Washington Post."
Published February 1st 1993 by Plume (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Reinventing Government, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reinventing Government

Zach Houck
Wow! This book, written over 20 years ago should be brought back to the forefront of everyone's mind. Upon reading it I wanted to buy several copies of this book to handout at headquarters.
Read for a political science class in college - so probably a little dated now - but had some interesting ideas at the time.
Nedland P.
We need more privatization.
A very good book to read .. Perfect Ideas for us to achieve our dream country.
this is good book for my carrer
Oct 24, 2014 Gerry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Nt filled with western promise.
Oct 14, 2014 Joe marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, dnf
I read a lot of this for a college course and it is interesting enough, that I may finish it one day. It is pretty one sided. Ok, it is completely one sided. Apparently there is no downside to introducing market forces into government services. But it happens all the time with some success and some problems. Osborne and Gaebler give several well presented examples of success.
The first and best account of how people scattered around the country were remaking government in America to be innovative, entrepreneurial, and effective. (Full disclosure: its account of my work at the Pentagon led to my getting hired by Al Gore to lead his effort to reinvent the entire Executive Branch--which work is still incomplete).

An all-time favorite
My good friend from the Humphrey Institute gave this to me. A number of Minnesota people were involved in the book. A good book for changing government. It answers the "I hate big government" crowd by saying that we should get the right amount of government and it should work. It did seem a little too perfect at times though.
I read this book as part of an Advanced Human Resource Management course I completed while at Ryerson.

The book was published at a time when government policies and administration were driven by the neo-con agenda. I don't believe that much if what was written in this book would be applicable now.
Apr 15, 2010 Fran rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fran by: Dr. Edna A. Co
Note to self: A recommended reading for PA 201 (Theory and Practice of Public Administration)under Dr. Edna A. Co of the UP NCPAG, 2nd Semester 1999-2000
Read it to see if I could understand the reinventing government idea that Clinton and Gore were pushing. Still don't but I tried.
Really good book for people in local government work. A little dated, but still quite relevant. And VERY easy-to-read!
It's a lovely idea for local government, but isn't practical on a national scale.
Worth a read, though pretty one-sided
Texas Renaissance
The best discussion I've ever seen on the role and function of government.
Sct Artchie
the book is good
Mar 31, 2013 Viecha is currently reading it
tgs kwu
Jun 02, 2013 Mishuleader added it
Shelves: fff
its good
ISRAEL F,SACKIE marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Gilan Osama
Gilan Osama marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Lmmaculate Rosemary
Lmmaculate Rosemary marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Soslan Gabuev
Soslan Gabuev marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Rusno added it
Sep 21, 2015
  • Introducing Public Administration
  • Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement
  • Public Administration: Understanding Management, Politics, and Law in the Public Sector
  • Structure and Change in Economic History
  • Policy Paradox: The Art of Political Decision Making
  • What Good Are the Arts?
  • Public Administration: Concepts and Cases
  • Liberty and Freedom: A Visual History of America's Founding Ideals
  • Public Finance
  • Images of Organization
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics
  • Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards
  • Paradigms Lost: Tackling the Unanswered Mysteries of Modern Science
  • Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina
  • Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior
  • Cracking Zone
  • Niccolò's Smile: A Biography of Machiavelli
The Price of Government: Getting the Results We Need in an Age of Permanent Fiscal Crisis Banishing Bureaucracy: The Five Strategies for Reinventing Government Aliens from Space A Galaxy Trilogy, Vol. 2: Aliens from Space, The Man with Three Eyes and Conquest of Earth Reinventor Fieldbook Tools Government