Start by marking “Curse of the Full Moon” as Want to Read:
Curse of the Full Moon

Curse of the Full Moon

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
America's favorite Italian-American cook, Lidia Bastianich, shares the story of the Christmases she used to celebrate in Italy with her five grandchildren.When Lidia was a child, she spent Christmas with her grandparents, where she learned to cook with her Nonna Rosa by preparing food in their smokehouse and kitchen. Lidia and her brother would also find a big beautiful ju ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Ulysses Press (first published 2010)

Bill
Jul 26, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the full moon rarely has a dramatic an effect on most people, there are some who will admit that they can feel the pull of the moon, at least in subtle ways -- and crime statistics bear this out year after year. For those rare few for whom the moon activates a profound curse, the world becomes a different place entirely - a world filled with soft, slow creatures to be hunted, attacked and devoured. Give thanks that those with such a curse are still a rarity...

In Curse of the Full Moon, Jam
Elaine Cunningham
Jul 27, 2010 Elaine Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several anthologies devoted to werewolves and other shapeshifters, but this one stood out for several reasons. Anthologies are too often like CDs--a couple of hits, lots of so-so titles to fill up space. There's not so much as a wrong note in this collection, A reprint anthology, it presents stories by some of the best writers in the fantasy genre, selected by James Lowder, an award-winning editor.
Derek Tatum
Of the werewolf anthologies I've read recently, this one was the most consistently entertaining. While there were some stories I liked better than others, I didn't think that any of them were terrible. And the book had a good variety of different styles, showing the diversity that cane be found in the subject. All in all, it's one of the best anthologies I've read on any theme.
Joy
Sep 06, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very solid collection of stories, from the experimental to the traditional; both old and new Urban Fantasy as well. A great foundation; a well-chosen set of works to illuminate the genre.
Galo
Nov 08, 2011 Galo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
What I love about short story collections is that it affords me the opportunity to explore and sample the works of a variety of authors under one volume, which eventually leads me to seek out the novels of the writers of the short works that I enjoyed. Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology provided just the perfect vehicle to sample writers I've never read before and others who are familiar to me.

Two of the short stories, "In the Lost Lands" and "Beneath the Skin" are classics that not o
Travis
Sep 21, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Curse of the Full Moonedited by James Lowder- This anthology was released in June 2010 and is published by Ulysses Press. There are nineteen short stories written by Jonathan Carroll, William Messner-Loebs, Ursula K. Guin, Gene Wolfe, Charles de Lint, Tanith Lee, S. Carleton, George R. R. Martin, Joe R. Lansdale, Barb Hendee, Michael Moorcock, James Lowder, Peter S. Beagle, Darrell Schweitzer, Matt Venne, Harlan Ellison, Nancy A. Collins, Ramsey Campbell, and Neil Gaiman. The anthology deals wit ...more
Roberta
Oct 03, 2010 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I was given a free copy of the book in exchange for the review.

Curse of the Full Moon is what I would call a literary collection of werewolf stories. In this collection of nineteen stories, you have tales of horror, urban fantasy, the Wild West, Arthurian legend, fantasy, and paranormal genres. The collection as a whole was excellent. The stories were rich with description and fleshed out characters. If I were teaching a literature class on science fiction and fantasy, this anthology would be a
SmokingMirror
3.0 Tanith Lee "The Werewolf" It seems to be set in contemporary times, but the main male and female characters are named Constant and Vivienne, very Tanith names, but a bit odd in and of themselves. The Heath Hacker is slaughtering people, and Constant is determined to destroy a werewolf who lives near the heath. Vivienne pops in and out with her vivid hair. The ending boggled me, but that is just me, I think. I will admit that werewolves are my least favorite creature of the night.
Hellen
Jul 21, 2015 Hellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hellen by: Harry
2.5 stars.

How many different stories can be written about werewolves? Many, it appears, though at the same time not very many.

There were a handful of stories I really liked, such as Ursula K. Le Guin's' The Wife's Story, Full Moon Hearth by Barb Hendee, In the Lost Lands by George R. R. Martin and The Change by Ramsey Campbell, but other than that not very impressed.
Amber
Oct 26, 2014 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it 3 stars only because I almost always struggle with short story collections. You get done great stories that suck you in and some not so great. Some you wish ended sooner some you wish would be a full length novel. You won't get your typical howeling at the moon stories here. You'll get some stories that reach further down into man kind. Gave me a new look into the werewolf genre.
Reggie Lutz
Some of the stories in this collection were brilliant, fun, innovative takes on the werewolf theme. I think its a great read overall for anyone who likes short stories in general, and stories about werewolves in particular. There were only a handful that didn't wow me, but even those were fun to read.
Loren Toddy
Feb 28, 2013 Loren Toddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the book today and I have to admit I liked most of the stories in the book. Of course, my favorite it Joe R. Lansdales story but there were some other surprises that I liked reading. This book is very much worth a read.
Kenna Day
Fantastic anthology with a wide range of perspectives on the beast known as the werewolf. The variety of writers, time periods, and interests represented in the collection make it definitely worth your time. Highly recommended.
BK Blue
Some pretty good stories, so far. Wolf Train West, The Lame Priest, and In The Lost Lands have been my faves.

***********

Okay, I finished reading it and I have to say, this was a great anthology.
Blu
Dec 27, 2010 Blu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my full review at Dark Scribe Magazine: http://www.darkscribemagazine.com/rev... (Contains Spoilers!)
Knotty
Mar 08, 2011 Knotty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Overall I thought this was a great collection. It was a fast read, but many of the stories were unexpected. I love short stories and this book delivered many good ones.
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Dallas
Dallas marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
melissa decker
melissa decker marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Kirstie
Kirstie rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Emma
Emma added it
Mar 26, 2016
Mari Hamill
Mari Hamill marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Nash Vinn
Nash Vinn marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Christian king
Christian king rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Running with the Pack
  • Full Moon City
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • Wolf's Gambit (Wolf Cycle, #2)
  • Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts
  • Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • Lace and Blade
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • The Werewolf's Kiss (Voodoo Moon, #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Tamed
aka Richard Awlinson, J D Lowder

James Lowder has worked extensively in fantasy and horror fiction on both sides of the editorial blotter. He's authored several best-selling dark fantasy novels and has had short fiction appear in such anthologies as Shadows Over Baker Street and The Repentant. He's penned comic book scripts for several companies and the city of Boston. His book and film reviews, fe
More about James Lowder...