Start by marking “*69” as Want to Read:
*69

*69

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Tim and Laura West receive a bizarre voicemail on their answering machine. Although the sound is muffled, the raised voices, suspicious thuds, and tortured gurgles lead them to believe that what theyre hearing is a brutal murder, unintentionally left as a voice message. As they try to decide what to do next, they are forced to consider a terrifying thought: What will happe ...more
Published July 3rd 2010 by Blake Crouch

To ask other readers questions about *69, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about *69

Matt
Jul 30, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Crouch is an epic storytelling, with his dark side pushing through in each tale. In this short story, the mystery and thrills have little time to develop, but come to a gentle boil at just the right moment. Tim and Laura West enjoy their time together as a married couple. One Thursday night, Laura discovers an odd message on their voicemail, some form of pocket dial from a cell phone. The message, full of choppy conversation, is thick with criminal innuendo and may be the recording of a murder. ...more
William Aicher
Mar 06, 2016 William Aicher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The only other writing from Blake Crouch that I've read has been his Wayward Pines series, which I enjoyed quite a bit (especially the first two books), so I was excited to see he has written some short stories as well. I've been looking for a few quick reads, which I think thrillers can really work well as, and *69 lived up to that promise. Since it's so short, I don't want to go into really any further detail than what's already listed in the description, but I read it one sitting and enjoyed ...more
Shannon
Nov 30, 2014 Shannon rated it did not like it
Up until this short story I've liked everything I've read by Blake Crouch but this story was stupid. Where it all fell apart was when someone accidentally locked themselves in the back of a police cruiser. Seriously, what idiot doesn't know that you can't open the back doors from the inside especially if your brother-in-law is a cop. Even the premise of the story was bad, everything else I've read from him at least had a good story line.
Charlotte
Oct 27, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but think I would have enjoyed it a little more if it was slighty longer. I get that it's a short (short-short) story, and it was enjoyable in that form but I think I'd have liked it more if there was a bit more tension and a slightly longer length would've lent itself to that perfectly.

Overall, a good story, if slightly predictable. Solid four stars, missing that fifth due to being a bit too short to fully enjoy.
Dave Pope
May 26, 2014 Dave Pope rated it it was ok
I will never be a fan of stand alone short fiction. Within the covers of a collection of short stories this would be entertaining but as a stand alone it does very little for me. I definitely wouldn't spend money on a read lasting no more than a few minutes. It is entertaining and it is clever but there's not enough of it - by a long way.
Sherri Smith
Apr 08, 2016 Sherri Smith rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic short story by an author I had read much from before - but one I will CERTAINLY be looking to read more by!

Even though it's short, it managed to surprise me and didn't go in the direction I had thought it would - until the very end.

If you enjoy mystery/suspense/thriller, check out this WONDERFUL story!!
Jim
May 06, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
A tiny bit dated due to the technology but this could easily be updated and made into a great horror short, TV episode, or movie scene. A brilliantly paced (if slightly predictable) story that takes the reader from zero to anxious dread in a flash. Very cool.
Roxie Prince
Strange, but worth a read.

This was a strange story that had me going, "What?" a few times, but it is original and quite interesting if you're into thrillers with a bit of violence.
Alishia
Apr 27, 2016 Alishia rated it it was amazing
While I thought this story was a little bit predictable the ending was a very big surprise to me.

If you like Blake Crouch or are looking for a quick read, this is definitely a good one.
kerrie bond
May 08, 2015 kerrie bond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really, Blake?

Not too sure where in Crouch's career as a writer this fell, but it's bad. Really bad. I would suggest his novel Abandon. That's pretty good stuff.
Lyn Simmons
May 01, 2016 Lyn Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ohhhhhh

Suspenseful! What a nasty story! I liked it though. Fast read, terrible ending (but good at the same time)! I can't get enough of Blake Crouch!
Matt
Apr 18, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
A book this short is hardly going to rank high among the literary greats, but this short, intense story (read by my favorite voice actor Luke Daniels in the Audible presentation) was a perfect "palate cleanser" after the deep, sometimes difficult two books I read prior to this one. Like most shorts, there's a lot of back story missing and you often crave more information but at the same time it prods your imagination and leaves the reader to fill in the blanks. I like that, and this book succeed ...more
Margi
Jun 28, 2015 Margi rated it it was amazing
I love a good short story and this one doesn't disappoint. It'll make you think twice about keeping your cell phone in your pocket, that's for sure! Fantastic story, Mr. Crouch. Keep them coming!
Lisa Stethem
Good read
Adam Sipos
Mar 05, 2016 Adam Sipos rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Based on the reviews I was expecting much more.
Grampy
May 29, 2012 Grampy rated it really liked it
*69 is another action-packed thriller from Blake Crouch. This author has the talent to fit a big story into a very few words, in such a way that it will send you looking for another story of his to read. Fortunately, when you find that next story, you will enjoy it just as much. I highly recommend anything by Blake Crouch!
vivian bryant
Jun 26, 2015 vivian bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Blake Crouch books. He is a different kind of writer than most mystery story.

A good short story the end is a surprise you have to read to the last word and maybe read it over to get really what happen.

Michelle
Jan 04, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok
It's a pretty messed up short story about a police officer who kills he own brother and sister-in-law because they accidentally discovered that he was a murderer.
B.P. Crouse
Jan 14, 2012 B.P. Crouse rated it it was amazing
Nice short story with the right level of tension to push the reader in turning pages. Nice ending. Love tales with unexpected winners.
Ann-Kristin
Feb 19, 2013 Ann-Kristin rated it liked it
Almost to short to even write a review. For me this was average. Not to exciting and predictable.
Sarah Billington
Feb 06, 2012 Sarah Billington rated it it was amazing
No wonder his books are so popular. So rich with detail, and a great twist.
Nadyne
This short story was very good... Only the end was a little disappointing!
Denise
Apr 06, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
This was one that did make me think. "WOW" this could happen.
Marc-Antoine
May 15, 2012 Marc-Antoine rated it really liked it
Quick read, entertaining, and very cool premise.
Annie Bailey
Jul 24, 2013 Annie Bailey rated it really liked it
Pretty good short story.
Cambria
Oct 23, 2012 Cambria rated it really liked it
Cute little horror novel.
Michele Coleman
Apr 03, 2013 Michele Coleman rated it really liked it
crazy story !
Memory Morgan
Memory Morgan marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Lára Ingileif
Lára Ingileif is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • 65 Proof
  • Truck Stop
  • Faint of Heart
  • Metro Star Murders
  • The Good Girls
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • Crawlspace
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more
More about Blake Crouch...