Start by marking “Alligator Arrived With Apples: A Potluck Alphabet Feast” as Want to Read:
Alligator Arrived With Apples: A Potluck Alphabet Feast

Alligator Arrived With Apples: A Potluck Alphabet Feast

There's going to be a feast! And everyone is here with food from A to Z! There is Elderberry Elixir from Elephant and Mocha Mousse made by Mouse. By the time Zebra Zips in with his Zaftig Zucchini, there will be enough food to feed a zoo! So come and join the party and don't forget your appetite!
Published September 30th 1992 by Aladdin (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Alligator Arrived With Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alligator Arrived With Apples

Shanna Gonzalez
Nov 15, 2014 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Crescent Dragonwagon presents a delightfully fun Thanksgiving feast, delivered by animals A to Z. For each letter of the alphabet, one animal joins the feast bearing an appropriate contribution, and the verb designating its delivery also matches the letter. Most of the foods are fairly traditional for this time of year ("Cat Came with Cranberry Compote and Cherry Cobbler") but some are pretty unusual ("Koala Kicked in Kale, Kohlrabi, and Kasha"). All the food seems to be vegetarian, except maybe ...more
Milagros Vazquez
This book starts from a-z naming the different type of food that the animals are getting ready to eat for their potluck. Most of the animals comes from different types of cultures and are identify. The food and the animals are in a-z order.
I like how this book helps students learn different types of food from a-z. I rate this four, because I see that there are some difficulty that can arise when a child is reading this. It’s an alphabet book which helps student learn their alphab
Oct 25, 2015 Ang rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Preschool Storytime: Animals/Food/ABC's/Thanksgiving theme

This is a good book for Preschool Storytime. It's a little on the long side, but it has great vocabulary for the kids to be introduced too as well as different types of food as well. The illustrations are fun for the kids to be entertained by and some of the words rhyme as well. There's a nice rhythmic tone to the book.
Sarah Ashburn
May 27, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
This book does a great job of first sound isolation. This allows children to have extra practice with the alphabet and the different sounds that the letters make. This would be great for a kindergarten class learning their ABC's. This could also be read around Thanksgiving to lead into other Thanksgiving based lessons.
May 28, 2014 Fibersian rated it it was amazing
This is another ABC book with interesting vocabulary. A zoo full of animals gather with alphabetic food. Some of the words will be unfamiliar to the reader as well as the kids so a pre-read will be helpful. Z zebra comes with a zaftig zucchini - zaftig is a yiddish word for plump.
A playful look at the ABCs, I picked this one up after organizing the ABC section at work and noticed the author's name and the fact that it was illustrated by my favorite illustrators from when I was a kid, Aruego and Dewey.
Rosa Cline
Dec 09, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, thanksgiving
It was a creative alphabet book. Every page says of someone bringing something that starts with that letter of the alphabet from A to Z and at the end all the friends have a wonderful dinner together
Nov 19, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
So cute! Perfect for Thanksgiving.
Nov 14, 2012 kaitlyn rated it liked it
Shelves: read-library
I don't think they listened to the actual story much, but the kindergartners really enjoyed shouting out the letters of the alphabet and telling me other words they know that begin with their letters, especially when it was their names. I didn't love it, but we don't have many age-appropriate Thanksgiving stories in our library, so I had to make do.
Nov 20, 2009 Franny rated it it was ok
It's difficult to write a good alphabet book -- I mean, really, how many words start with the letter x? This book gives it a good try, but it falls a little short. I like the idea of all kinds of animals getting together for a Thanksgiving feast, each one bringing something. It just doesn't have that x-factor.
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, abc
I really like that this book is about the coming together of a diverse group of animals to share a meal together. It reminds me a lot of partaking in communion at church. This is another book where I wish the illustrations were better, but I like the communion aspect of it enough to give it five stars anyway.
Katie Shaw
Oct 23, 2012 Katie Shaw rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a feast to which all animals are invited, and they each have to bring dish. It goes from A to Z with animal names and food names. Some of the food names were a stretch, and there were some that younger children have probably never heard of. This was not my most favorite story.
Aug 01, 2012 Shelli rated it it was ok
An alphabet book for young readers shouldn't be as wordy as this. I liked the idea behind story, a group of animal friends bring food from every letter of the alphabet to share at a Thanksgiving Feast, however I was ready for the book to be done long before the letter Z.
May 03, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Crescent Dragonwagon is possibly the most awesome name ever.

My son read this to me when he was seven, and instead of saying 'Parrot', he said 'pah-root-to' ... we still tease him about that, especially when he brags about how smart he is.

I'm a bad mother.
Candice Call
Good read aloud book for preschool-1st grade. Can be used to teach letter, alpahbet, alliteration, foods, animals, or thanksgiving as long as that is what the class celebrates. Must use caution when teaching about thanksgiving since that is what the book illustrates.
Nov 14, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thanksgiving and alphabet requests
Pulled this for a kindergarten Thanksgiving visit. Tried to tie it in a little more saying how some people spend Thanksgiving with friends. 11/20/13

Used with a PreK 4 for outreach. Was a little long for the 4th book.
Nov 07, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
A good choice for a Thanksgiving read aloud! End with the students creating their own alliterations of their first name and the food they will bring to a Thanksgiving feast!
Animals in alphabetical order bring food in alphabetical order for Thanksgiving. Very clever but some words maybe too complicated even for preschoolers.
Emily Rosbottom
Oct 15, 2012 Emily Rosbottom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Very good for teaching the alphabet and letter sounds. I liked the idea that each ingredient was a different letter. Colorful illustrations as well!
Barbara VA
Jan 15, 2010 Barbara VA rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for explaining alliteration. Colorful and fun illustrations, a great Thanksgiving book!
Feb 21, 2012 Kim added it
Features: rhyme, beginning sounds, alliteration, consonant blends, short and long vowel sounds
Sep 10, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This was kind of fun, although more difficult/confusing for the younger set than Now I Eat My ABCs.
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades PreK-1
Great ABC picture book that takes place as various animals bring food to a Thanksgiving feast.
Jessica Vandewarker
Alliteration, limited rhyme, alphabet progression.
Nov 24, 2010 Georgiana rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
Cute alphabet book centered around Thanksgiving.
Sep 29, 2015 Sandra rated it did not like it
Shelves: before-2011
Its a cute book for little kids
Heloise marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Caroline Alcaida
Caroline Alcaida marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Inara marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Alicia marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Crescent Dragonwagon is the daughter of the writers Charlotte Zolotow and the late Hollywood biographer Maurice Zolotow. She is the author of 40 published books, including cookbooks, children's books, and novels. With her late husband, Ned Shank, Crescent owned the award-winning Dairy Hollow House, a country inn and restaurant in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, for eighteen years. She teaches writing co ...more
More about Crescent Dragonwagon...