Start by marking “Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1)

Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,577 Ratings  ·  629 Reviews
Los Angeles, 1948: Easy Rawlins is a black war veteran just fired from his job at a defense plant. Easy is drinking in a friend's bar, wondering how he'll meet his mortgage, when a white man in a linen suit walks in, offering good money if Easy will simply locate Miss Daphne Money, a blonde beauty known to frequent black jazz clubs....

Featuring an Original Easy Rawlins Sho
Published June 11th 2010 by Washington Square Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Devil in a Blue Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil in a Blue Dress

Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When a jobless World War II vet named Easy Rawlins is hired to find a woman, he finds himself ensnared in a web of lies and murder. Can Easy find Daphne Monet without becoming another victim? And what secrets is Daphne Monet carrying?

Devil in a Blue Dress is a throwback to the pioneers of noir like Hammett, Chandler, and Cain. Only this PI is black and his case takes place in the black Los Angeles of 1948. Mosley's black LA is just as vivid as Chandler's seedy Hollywood underbelly.

Easy's support
Carol.
Apr 14, 2013 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of detective noir
Shelves: mystery, multi-culti
If you don't immediately start humming the song when you see this title, play it while you read. It is a classic:

Easy Rawlins is just trying to get by. Laid off from his job building jets, he needs to make payment on his mortgage or face the loss of his house.
description
Drowning his woes at a tiny bar above a meatpacking warehouse, his friend and bar owner Joppy hooks him up with DeWitt Albright. Easy can't help but notice that Joppy, an ex-heavyweight fighter, is nervous, a sur
Kemper
Feb 18, 2011 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ezekiel “Easy” Rawlins fought his way across Europe as a decorated soldier during World War II, but in post-war Los Angeles, he’s a second class citizen because he’s black. When Easy is fired from a good job due to racism from his boss, he finds himself on the verge of losing the small house he loves. A friend of Easy’s hooks him up with a white man named Albright who has an opportunity to make some quick cash.

Albright is looking for a white girl named Daphne Monet who is known to hang out in bl
Richard Vialet
This book is one of my favorite detective novels. Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins is a young black WWII veteran who has lost his job and is eager to jump at an opportunity when a shady businessman hires him to locate a pretty white woman named Daphne Monet, who is known for gettin' her party on at black nightclubs.

This is not only one of the best debut detective novels, but also features what I think is one of the best literary characters, especially in the detective genre. I think that Easy is a wonderf
Melki
Oct 03, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, noir
She's a real humdinger and I like 'em like that.
Shorty Long and William "Mickey" Stevenson

The story of a man hired to find a mysterious woman is an old one and it takes a special writer to make it seem fresh and exciting. I think Mosley has succeeded here with his first Easy Rawlins mystery. There are twists and turns a-plenty and interesting characters/suspects add to the fun.

Rawlins is a richly-drawn, complex character. A WWII vet, he has been screwed around enough in the past to stay alert. H
Becky
It's so funny how things kind of fit together sometimes. I downloaded this audiobook during a BOGO sale from Audible just because I liked the reader's voice and it sounded like an entertaining story, but then I didn't think too much of it. I then proceeded to listen to an audiobook about the way that slavery was continued though WWII (just called something else). After finishing that, I decided to go for Devil in a Blue Dress, though I didn't really consciously think of how that would tie into w ...more
Tfitoby
Apr 29, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night
Raymond Chandler could probably be called the Grand Master of this style of genre fiction, his style and content leading the way for many pale imitators to follow. Walter Mosley's first Easy Rawlins book is perhaps better than any Chandler I've read.

I think the true test for me is the dialogue and there were times when I was imagining Bogart as Marlowe reading the part of Easy; surely there can be no higher praise for this genre?

What Mosley does better is to add the extra layers to the narrative
Cathy DuPont
Jun 29, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir and hard boiled genre lovers
This was a great book however, due to circumstances beyond my control, I read it in short time sequences and spurts. I hate to read books that way. I like to read two hours or more at each sitting but it didn’t happen here but it’s not going to reflect the four stars I gave it.

And certainly, the ending, that in itself deserves the fourth star.

This was a first time effort for Walter Mosley in 1990 who is now an established and well respected author.

His protagonist, Easy (Ezekiel) Rawlins is such
Dfordoom
Apr 26, 2008 Dfordoom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Devil in a Blue Dress was Walter Mosley’s debut novel. It’s a private eye novel set in Los Angeles in 1948. What makes Devil in a Blue Dress different is that this private eye, Easy Rawlins, is black. In style and in feel it’s very close to Raymond Chandler, and it even follows Chandler in having a plot that is quite amazingly convoluted. Like Chandler Mosley is far more interested in character and in atmosphere than in merely telling a story. He doesn’t write as well as Chandler, but then very ...more
Fiona
This was excellent.

If you look closely, you can tell it was written more recently than, say, The Big Sleep - because it looks at its surroundings more closely. This is good noir that acknowledges that there are power dynamics at play, between black and white, men and women, abled and disabled. This is noir that knows what it's looking at, and with less tunnel vision than some white bloke in a mackintosh. That's a product of more recent storytelling than the 1950s - the oldest example I can recal
Michael
I loved this book because it didn't pull any punches and showed the realism of racist LA in the 40's, and because it is so refreshing to have the plot center around the African American community, and an African American protagonist. This book proves that even when white men are pulling most/all of the strings, the most interesting/important story may still be what goes on in the lives of those people whose strings are being pulled.

I enjoyed the observations and philosophizing from Easy Rawlins
Franky
Nov 02, 2013 Franky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Mosley’s Devil in a Blue Dress is several things: social commentary about race relations and prejudices during this time period, noir with voice-over from antihero, crime tale with twists, tension and suspense. There are also some uncomfortable themes scattered throughout. Money is also a recurrent theme, a prime motivator for many characters, and Easy falls prey to this lure as well.

Mosley does an effective job of making post-World War 2 Los Angeles come alive with realism and grittiness. Amid
George
Jun 02, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Είχα αρκετές προσδοκίες για το βιβλίο αυτό, λόγω διαφόρων θετικών σχολίων από δω και από κει αλλά και γιατί έχει μια καλή βαθμολογία στο Goodreads, με πολλές χιλιάδες αξιολογήσεις, όμως δεν μπορώ να πω ότι διάβασα κάτι το ιδιαίτερο. Είμαι φανατικός των νουάρ μυθιστορημάτων και έχω διαβάσει δεκάδες από αυτά, οπότε θεωρώ τον εαυτό μου ειδικό στο είδος. Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο με άφησε με ανάμικτες εντυπώσεις.

Για να ξεμπερδεύω, ορίστε μια περίληψη: Βρισκόμαστε στο Λος Άντζελες του 1948 και παρακολου
Cyndi
Oct 30, 2013 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast, spare and gritty. So noir, you'll be searching for a flashlight. I see more of Mr. Rawlins in my reading future.
Harold
Dec 26, 2013 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable entertainment. Like watching a noir movie. Nothing deep or difficult-just a fun romp through mid 40s LA.
G.
Feb 16, 2012 G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David B
Jan 06, 2014 David B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter Mosley wins half the battle of writing a good detective story by coming up with a unique, interesting protagonist. Easy Rawlins, a black man recently unemployed in post-War LA and desperate to make the payments on his little house, accepts the assignment to look for a white woman who frequents black nightclubs. He has access to a level of south LA society that white men do not, which makes his assistance invaluable to certain powerful individuals.

This first novel in the Easy Rawlins serie
Chuck
Mar 28, 2009 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any mystery novel set in Los Angeles is going to get compared to Raymond Chandler, although Chandler was just pretty much taking Carrol John Daly and transplanting him to LA. I mention this because--historical novel, LA, private eye, noir genre--comparisons to Chandler are natural. But those are surface similarities, genre similarities. In Devil and a Blue Dress, Walter Mosely is doing many new things, things that make it well worth reading.

First, if you've read any of these hard boiled detectiv
Holger Haase
Oct 06, 2013 Holger Haase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A modern Noir about a black Private Eye in 1948 involved in an ever more complex investigation featuring mysterious murders, racial prejudices and more than its fair share of paedophile/incestuous relationships.

I always heard great things about the Easy Rawlins series of books and was curious whether I'd find a new series to explore.

And though I found this to be a quick'n'easy and overall enjoyable read I did feel that it lacked the certain je-ne-sais-quoi that I'd associate with most of the bet
Darren
Aug 12, 2014 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was back in Canada and could go on an actual paperback run. I cut through a few of these fairly fast. The Easy Rawlins books are shorter than I like, but well written. I can't help but think a counter series from the point of view of Mouse as he lives through the same eras would be goddamn riveting. Rawlins seems too removed, as a character, and a PI for too brief a time, in the series.
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devil in a Blue Dress is an excellent hard-boiled mystery. It is also a fascinating examination of race and masculinities in late-1940s Los Angeles. That it manages to do both these things at the same time, seamlessly, is little short of breathtaking.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Michael
The Devil in a Blue Dress was different to most Hard-Boiled novels I’ve read. For the most obvious reason, it was based around the African American community, which gave the story a fresh and interesting take on the genre. I remember seeing the movie and didn’t think much of it, but the novel was really enjoyable and well worth reading for all Hard-Boiled fans.
Cecilia Boyers
Feb 03, 2016 Cecilia Boyers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this it was super boring and cheesy
Hapzydeco
Aug 09, 2015 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Using Los Angeles in the 1940s as his setting, Walter Mosely captures a people and its culture. Easy Rawlins is not the typical private detective. The Rawlins-Mouse connection reminds me of Spenser and Hawk.
CasualDebris
Feb 13, 2014 CasualDebris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For my full review, please visit Casual Debris.

3.5/5 or 7/10

Lauded for strong characterization and solid writing for a first novel, I have no observations to contradict the popular opinion the novel received on its initial release. What makes this quick read so intriguing is not the mystery plot, but our narrator Ezekial "Easy" Rawlins. His post-war instability, genuine smarts and his admission to mistakes in dealing with the investigation of the titular "devil," crystallize the narrative and tr
J.D.
Aug 25, 2013 J.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read for me...first read it 20 or so years ago, and loved it. It still holds up beautifully.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Pitch perfect detective noir. It has it all. Perfect.
Bea
Feb 05, 2016 Bea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was going to be a new, unheard of, author for me, until I got the book itself and realized that I own one of his books. Was I surprised! (Still new, though, as I have not yet read that book.)

"Easy" Rawlins is an out of work defense plant worker who gets approached to find a woman. He has no license as a PI nor any training. He decides to take the job because he needs money for his living expenses - to help him until he gets hired again. He recruits his buddy "Mouse" to help. The i
Mjhancock
Dec 13, 2015 Mjhancock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, noir
Call it a 3.5. This was interesting. Easy Rawlins is one payment away from losing his house when he gets a job from an acquaintance to track down a woman using his local connections. Pretty soon, Easy is caught up in a web of angry, violent men and one tantalizing, mysterious woman. In terms of what it does with the genre, it's not particularly unique; Easy is more generally likable than your basic noir hero, but also less generally effective, as he's neither particularly smart nor particularly ...more
Ryan
Oct 23, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-queue
Devil in A Blue Dress
Walter Mosley
Read it in over-priced mass market paperback at 263 pages…kind of.

So this was our June pick by none other than SS, his second pick this year and we were off to figure out who done it or whatever. I say kind of when it comes to page count because the first 60 or so pages of my copy was actually from a subsequent book of Mosley's. What makes it so weird is that the page count for the start of the book actually starts with this 'bonus' chapter from the other book s
Raymond Chandler, Hammett and Mosley 2 10 May 27, 2015 04:36PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley 1 16 Jan 25, 2015 04:39PM
should kids be in hard boiled books? 3 26 Dec 29, 2014 04:18PM
Pulp Fiction: October 2013 - Devil in a Blue Dress 21 65 Oct 31, 2013 06:54PM
Good Bathroom Reading! 6 55 Oct 11, 2011 09:15AM
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
  • The Zebra-Striped Hearse
  • A Rage in Harlem
  • Blanche on the Lam
  • The Big Blowdown
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • Fadeout (Dave Brandstetter, #1)
  • Dirty Tricks
  • The Wrong Case
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • Dark Passage
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
20850
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more
More about Walter Mosley...

Easy Rawlins (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Red Death (Easy Rawlins #2)
  • White Butterfly (Easy Rawlins #3)
  • Black Betty (Easy Rawlins #4)
  • A Little Yellow Dog (Easy Rawlins #5)
  • Gone Fishin' (Easy Rawlins #6)
  • Bad Boy Brawly Brown (Easy Rawlins #7)
  • Six Easy Pieces (Easy Rawlins #8)
  • Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins #9)
  • Cinnamon Kiss (Easy Rawlins #10)
  • Blonde Faith (Easy Rawlins #11)

“The law," he continued, "is made by the rich people so that the poor people can't get ahead...” 7 likes
“Chirren is the most dangerous creatures on the earth, with the exception of young girls between the ages of fifteen and forty-two.” 3 likes