Is a Worry Worrying You?

Is a Worry Worrying You?

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  54 reviews
This book addresses children's worries with humor and imagination, as hilarious scenarios teach kids the use of perspective and the art of creative problem—solving.
Published April 15th 2005 by Tanglewood Press

Snorkle
I wasn't really impressed with this book. The illustrations were a little rough/odd/freakish and I didn't care for their portrayal of Worry. Actually, I kind of didn't like any of the illustrations really. I also found a couple of their worries a little ridiculous instead of humorous. I liked the concept, but I didn't think it was well executed. It was okay, but I wouldn't go around recommending it anytime soon though.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Miss Meghan's Class
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I really liked this book. The artwork is very cute and it's a fun way to show kids (and adults *wink wink*) that there's no need to worry and what to do if one of them is … worrying you.

The class gave it a definite thumbs up – and did a lot of laughing. They have asked me to read this several times. (Parents: It's not a book that gets old over and over again....more
Carrie (ICanHasBooks?)
Sep 26, 2013 Carrie (ICanHasBooks?) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone with small children or anyone who has every had a worry worrying them :)
Is a Worry Worrying You? is a wonderful story filled with silly pictures and situations to help explain to children different kinds of worries they may face and how to get rid of them.

This is a book that should be read to all children. Actually adults could learn from it as well. Because we all have worries, it doesn't matter your age. And children unlike most (not all) adults don't understand why they are worrying or how to over come their worrying. I know myself I am a big worrier. I worry ab...more
Amanda
*I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley*

This book was darling! It handles the topic of worry very well and without trivializing a child's worry. Instead of focusing on the worry, it teaches alternatives or ways that you can make a situation better instead of worrying about it. The examples were all very sweet and also dealt with being kind to others and putting yourself in their shoes. For example, the child who was afraid of the first day of school because the new teacher is a b...more
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 2.5

Children's books are often didactic; teaching lessons in (hopefully) creative and entertaining ways. I can recall, just off the top of my head, books about using the potty, or Everyone Poops, and even recently I reviewedThe Kissing Hand, in which a youngster learns it is okay to leave the nest. This teaching-lesson children's book, Is a Worry Worrying You?, by authors Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz, with illustrations by...more
Sharon Tyler
Is A Worry Worrying You? is a picturebook by Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz, with illustrations by Marie LeTourneau. The book address the worries of children with imaginative and sometimes very silly situations while offering solutions. The book speaks for itself quite well with: “A worry is a thought that stops your from having fun, from feeling good, from being happy. Don’t bother looking for a worry because you’ll never find it. It is invisible. But it seems very real.” Followed by the i...more
Nicole
Love the illustrations by Marie Le Tourneau - she really creates an interesting character with her Worry monster; the images overall are very expressive in fact. However, I found the text to be a bit verbose and thus overwhelming, especially since the pictures conveyed so much of what author Ferida Wolff was rehashing with her language. I think more streamlined text would have been a plus and made the book easier to enjoy.
Teracia
When I review childrens books I do so with my 4 year old Grand daughter Liliana. She loved this book and ran around half the day looking for worries and asking me how to fix them. So on the 4 yr olds scale of books this was , and I Quote, "I love the worries book Grammy". So if you have a young one around get the book its a quick read and it GREAT just ask Liliana.
Kim T.
I really liked the concept of this book. Not only was the story creative and interesting, but it also did a good job of explaining what a worry is and how to address it in a positive way. The illustrations were varied, with most being generally funny and playful, while others were dark and potentially troubling.

I think this book would be a good conversation starter. I would be careful how I introduced it and who I introduced it to. If a child is bothered by graphics or images, I would suggest r...more
Susan
This is a super fantastic, ubber terrific, totally awesome book to read to kiddos who might be having some anxieties or worries.
It teaches kids coping techniques and gives ideas about how to work through your worries.
I first picked up the book because it was illustrated by Marie LeTourneau, a favorite author, but this is a great read in its own right.
Sandy
What’s so fun about this book is that it brings a not-so-fun topic to light. So many times children worry but they do not want to acknowledge that is what they are doing so they just deny it. They come up with excuses or have other illnesses when what really is the issue, they are hiding behind. This book deals with that problem. The first couple pages explain exactly what a worry does and then goes on to explain ways on how to deal with it and that other individuals the child may know worry too...more
Susan
A great book to look at what a worry is and how it can be resolved. The illustrations are delightful. It's a terrific way to discuss worry with anyone but perhaps more so with children. The book is a good reminder that anyone who worries can resolve it. It may need to be confronted or resolved but it can be done. A worry sometimes needs to be talked about with someone who will listen and respond to the worry . This book is an excellent way to get that conversation started.

Disclaimer: I received...more
Ramisa

"Is Worry Worrying You?" is a beautifully illustrated picture book establishing realistic emotions into unbelieving --yet somehow relatable-- circumstances. The ideas expressed are ridiculous, on the point of genius, and the literal portrayal of an abstract "worry" was a brilliant addition to the book.

The reason it stands out among other picture books is because it doesn't SIMPLY establish worries; the book shows ways you can fix them, and deal with these pesky worries. It assure the children t...more
Chio Duran
This book was certainly a piece of cuteness and good advice! The book features various characters who suffer from worrying too much. However, each case scenario comes with a helpful little tip to get rid of that sneaky monster call worry!! Overall, the pictures were simple and abstract but cute and picturesque. The text was witty and had an easy flow. Definitely a book that not only children but also adults will enjoy, for we all know that too much worrying can be bad for one's health. Read, Liv...more
Izza
In today’s contemporary society, worrying seems to happen at a younger and younger age every year. The Book Is a Worry Worrying You? by Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz explain to children what a worry actually is, and try to teach them how to cope, suggestion ways to deal with their fears.

Great def...more
Sue Morris
Apr 15, 2011 Sue Morris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children and parents concerned their child worries too much
Shelves: children, my-library
The authors ask, “Suppose, just suppose, one hundred elephants come to tea and you discover you don't have any tea bags. Uh, oh. What will you do with a herd of thirsty elephants? Now that's a worry!” That sure is a worry. What on earth do you do for thirsty elephants when there is no large pond in sight? This and other questions are pondered in this delightful book that is designed to help children cope with worrying.

Many of the scenarios are deliberately silly. What if your teacher is a brown...more
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
If you have a little worrier you should definitely take a look at this book. It's approach is very kid-friendly and it provides a great vehicle for adults to talk to young children about their worries.

The authors talk about types of worries, and how they can make us feel. And they there approach is to begin with whimsical worries, and then to deal with ones like bullies.

What I particularly liked is that each problem is solved after a little brainstorming. What do you do when you arrive for the f...more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 3/20/11)

I only checked this out at the library because I liked the cover and the title was interesting. I wasn't sure if it'd be a good story or soley a self-help type of thing.
While this can most definitely help children it's also a pretty darn good story. Julia doesn't have any worrying issues from what I can see - if anything she's exactly the opposite so far - but we both enjoyed reading this together so much.
She loved finding "the worry" on each page and I love how "the...more
Jayna
I am conflicted with this book. I like the concept. Worrying is a stressful situation for kids. This book takes a silly approach to discussing the 'worries'. Although I think the illustrations might cause more worrying. They are a bit dark, which could work by itself. But a monster portrays the actually 'worry'. I can see this causing more problems for some children.

I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Emily
This book is a great resource for elementary school age children (3rd-5th grade) who tend to worry. It demonstrates many scenarios that worry children, from the fantastic (monsters under the bed) to the very real (a visit from Uncle Herman), and offers different ways to handle the worry. The nature or worries is also discussed - that worries are not polite, they just barge in and stay as long as you let them. Coping skills are discussed, both those specific to the individual scenarios (remember...more
A solid book for the early elementary set, "Is a Worry Worrying You" opens with a series of ludicrous possible worries (a rhinoceros walking along your street, an eagle nesting in your hair), all close enough to common childhood concerns that kids will be angle to relate without getting sidetracked by their own issues. The second portion of the book presents a range of strategies for coping with worry, including visualizing packing the worry away, talking it through with a friend, working on the...more
Andréa
I enjoyed the depiction of worries as monsters, and the dark tint and lines of the illustrations emphasized the darkening effect worries can have on one's attitude. The author offers some good solutions for kids to deal with their worries, which would make this a good read for kids who tend to be anxious and worried about everything.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Carol
Most people have worries at some time or another. Young children especially have a hard time understanding and coping with these feelings. This picture book does a great job of giving the kids ideas and scenarios that help them not only recognize what a worry is, but how to cope and get rid of them. The illustrations are quirky and fun!
Nicole
What is a worry? "A worry is something that stops you from... feeling good..." "It is invisible. But seems very real." Wolff and Savitz have written an amazing book that shows you that worrying is real and can make you feel sad and weighed down but not to fear because there are ways to stop worrying. Things may go askew and not how you planned but that doesn't mean everything is ruined. Things can be done to turn a situation around.
If there was a way to rate this book with more then five stars...more
Rachel
My 6 year old daughter-a real dyed in wool worrier- and I read this together as her bedtime story and she loved it!
It wasn't a traditional children's story, the illustrations remind me of Maurice Sendak, however Libby thought it was very good at looking at what children worry about and how to not make them such a big worry.
it led to an interesting discussion of what worries her and how she would deal with her own fears.
The book looks at the things children worry about in a humourous way but not...more
Dayna
I read this book to my 5 year old son last night. I asked him his thought's on it. He said, "It was awesome". The worry's weren't worry's at all they were just demons. It made him excited that if there was a worry in his closet he would just slam the door on it. He say's, "If a demon appears he will just imagine it in a tutu. He want's me to read again to him tonight.

I enjoyed reading this book to him and listening to some of his worry's. This is a great way to find out what's really on your chi...more
Diah Didi
I love the illustration, and I love the way things being told. Being a person who worries a lot, this one was definitely entertaining while giving me lessons I need to learn.
I really should get myself a copy.
Suzanne
I thought this book would make a nice bedtime story to read to my daughter, and while the illustrations are certainly beautiful, and the explanation of what a "worry" is seems like a sound way to explain it to children, this book almost seemed to me like it would help create worries for children. The end does have potential resolutions to the worries, however, so perhaps this is a book I will revisit when my daughter is a little older if she seems to be easily worried.
Mandy
Everyone worries from time to time, and dealing with those worries often seems monumental, espeically for children. Ferida Wolff and Herriet May Sevitz have addressed just this issue in their book, Is a Worry Worrying You? With beautiful full color illustrations by Marie LeTourneau, the book manages to discuss worries and introduce brainstorming possible solutions of how to deal with them in a light hearted manner, opening up further discussions. It;s a fantastic picture book and one that we hav...more
Meghan Brigan
Is a Worry Worrying You? is a clever book that puts worries into perspective. Worries are being represented by a big blue monster. There are both real life situations and imaginary situations that are brought up and resolved. This book is for children ages four to eight. It is realistic fiction. Everyone worries even children and this book will help children deal with those worries. I like that Wolff uses humor to combat worry. This is such an important book for children to read so they can unde...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Story Blanket Seven Loaves of Bread On Halloween Night The Woodcutter's Coat It Is the Wind