Start by marking “Is a Worry Worrying You?” as Want to Read:
Is a Worry Worrying You?

Is a Worry Worrying You?

This book addresses children's worries with humor and imagination, as hilarious scenarios teach kids the use of perspective and the art of creative problem—solving.
Published April 15th 2005 by Tanglewood

To ask other readers questions about Is a Worry Worrying You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is a Worry Worrying You?

Khadidja
Cute, Short selfhelp-ish book. and to answer your question, YES, it's fucking killing me, i'm stuck in a ''The Feedback Loop from Hell'', That anxiety cripples you and you start wondering why you’re so anxious. Now you’re becoming anxious about being anxious. Oh no! Doubly anxious! Now you’re anxious about your anxiety, which is causing more anxiety. Quick, where’s the whiskey? (quote from: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck)
Angela
Nov 20, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book with the intention of helping kids understand worries, and how to deal with them.

I requested this as something to maybe help my own kids if needed. The message that it imparts is something I think kids would find helpful.

The illustrations are cute and with lots of little details that make them fun to look at.

And though this is a short book, with just under 30 pages and illustrations, it does exactly what it sets out to do.

All in all, I'm definitely going to be adding this to my list o
Mohammed  Ali
Nov 18, 2016 Mohammed Ali rated it really liked it
A worry knows something that you should know: You can get rid of a worry
any time you want. It just takes a little patience. Don’t worry. You can do it!
Mebarka Fekih
Nov 24, 2016 Mebarka Fekih rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Is a worry worrying You ? a children story ,set to help them understand their anxieties and eventuly deal with them.

The illustrations are a bit creepy (the corpse bride kind of ) but they match the story very well.I loved the coloring ,it was marvelous and the advices were to the point.

Being an adult myself this book was a great reminder to stop overthinking things and just enjoy the moment.

If you jump to a worry ,PUNCH it in the face.
I wasn't really impressed with this book. The illustrations were a little rough/odd/freakish and I didn't care for their portrayal of Worry. Actually, I kind of didn't like any of the illustrations really. I also found a couple of their worries a little ridiculous instead of humorous. I liked the concept, but I didn't think it was well executed. It was okay, but I wouldn't go around recommending it anytime soon though.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Lindsey Lewis
Nov 08, 2014 Lindsey Lewis rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review. The material below consists entirely of my own opinion.

Synopsis: Is a Worry Worrying You is a children's story about anxiety. It personifies worry into a blue monster that looms in every illustration as the narrator explains how to handle worry.

Cover/Illustrations: The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. They are gothic, very Tim Burton-esque, and go very well with the story. They may be a
Carrie
Sep 26, 2013 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone with small children or anyone who has every had a worry worrying them :)
Is a Worry Worrying You? is a wonderful story filled with silly pictures and situations to help explain to children different kinds of worries they may face and how to get rid of them.

This is a book that should be read to all children. Actually adults could learn from it as well. Because we all have worries, it doesn't matter your age. And children unlike most (not all) adults don't understand why they are worrying or how to over come their worrying. I know myself I am a big worrier. I worry ab
Miss Meghan's Class
Jul 10, 2014 Miss Meghan's Class rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2-review
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I really liked this book. The artwork is very cute and it's a fun way to show kids (and adults *wink wink*) that there's no need to worry and what to do if one of them is … worrying you.

The class gave it a definite thumbs up – and did a lot of laughing. They have asked me to read this several times. (Parents: It's not a book that gets old over and over again.
Teracia
May 03, 2013 Teracia rated it it was amazing
When I review childrens books I do so with my 4 year old Grand daughter Liliana. She loved this book and ran around half the day looking for worries and asking me how to fix them. So on the 4 yr olds scale of books this was , and I Quote, "I love the worries book Grammy". So if you have a young one around get the book its a quick read and it GREAT just ask Liliana.
Sharon Tyler
Mar 08, 2014 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it
Is A Worry Worrying You? is a picturebook by Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz, with illustrations by Marie LeTourneau. The book address the worries of children with imaginative and sometimes very silly situations while offering solutions. The book speaks for itself quite well with: “A worry is a thought that stops your from having fun, from feeling good, from being happy. Don’t bother looking for a worry because you’ll never find it. It is invisible. But it seems very real.” Followed by the i ...more
Cheri
Mar 14, 2016 Cheri rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn’t love it.

Some children worry more than others, some have concrete fears, but this book deals with the more common childhood fears. Most often children’s books deal with fears that live mostly in their imagination. Fears about monsters under their bed, the dark, an imaginary “monster” who pesters them. Silly worries, a monkey steals your skateboard. What would you do if that happened? Borrow his roller skates and go with him, of course! Teaching a child to creative
Cathy
Nov 05, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crianças-jovens
# I received this ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a small self-help book for children. The book focuses on the concerns and anxieties of a child, explains simply the child's feelings and perception of their difficulties and proposes several strategies to address the concerns. The theme is very important and it is essential to be approached with children who are anxious. Sometimes parents and educators have some difficulty to talk about this topic, a book can be an excel
Susan
May 17, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is a super fantastic, ubber terrific, totally awesome book to read to kiddos who might be having some anxieties or worries.
It teaches kids coping techniques and gives ideas about how to work through your worries.
I first picked up the book because it was illustrated by Marie LeTourneau, a favorite author, but this is a great read in its own right.
Sue Morris
Apr 15, 2011 Sue Morris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children and parents concerned their child worries too much
Shelves: my-library, children
The authors ask, “Suppose, just suppose, one hundred elephants come to tea and you discover you don't have any tea bags. Uh, oh. What will you do with a herd of thirsty elephants? Now that's a worry!” That sure is a worry. What on earth do you do for thirsty elephants when there is no large pond in sight? This and other questions are pondered in this delightful book that is designed to help children cope with worrying.

Many of the scenarios are deliberately silly. What if your teacher is a brown
Sandy
Jan 12, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
What’s so fun about this book is that it brings a not-so-fun topic to light. So many times children worry but they do not want to acknowledge that is what they are doing so they just deny it. They come up with excuses or have other illnesses when what really is the issue, they are hiding behind. This book deals with that problem. The first couple pages explain exactly what a worry does and then goes on to explain ways on how to deal with it and that other individuals the child may know worry too ...more
Amanda
Jun 19, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley*

This book was darling! It handles the topic of worry very well and without trivializing a child's worry. Instead of focusing on the worry, it teaches alternatives or ways that you can make a situation better instead of worrying about it. The examples were all very sweet and also dealt with being kind to others and putting yourself in their shoes. For example, the child who was afraid of the first day of school because the new teacher is a b
Julia Jasztal
Jan 11, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Mommy's review from 3/20/11)

I only checked this out at the library because I liked the cover and the title was interesting. I wasn't sure if it'd be a good story or soley a self-help type of thing.
While this can most definitely help children it's also a pretty darn good story. Julia doesn't have any worrying issues from what I can see - if anything she's exactly the opposite so far - but we both enjoyed reading this together so much.
She loved finding "the worry" on each page and I love how "the
Londa
Mar 01, 2015 Londa rated it really liked it
I shared this book with a professional kid worrier. He may be a little outside the target age range at 9, but he still enjoyed it.

He enjoyed finding the "worry monster" on each page most of all. Also loved the illustrations and the style of the book.

As for the actual advice given, his words were " I have tried most of those and they haven't worked" Like I said, he is a professional worrier. I think the advice would be great for most kids though. And even he admitted that two of the tips really
Ana
Apr 03, 2016 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasure to read, although I could not fully enjoy the illustrations on my Kindle. In a time when kids seem to get more and more anxious, it is a very well thought out and executed work of children literature, which will most certainly teach kids about what a worry is and how to handle it.

The book doesn't belittle the importance and impact of a worry; it uses very fantastical but effective examples to the message across - how a worry can affect you without you even noticing it and ho
Melaslithos
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book through Netgalley.com.

This is a cute little book that not only teaches an important lesson to kids, but can also serve as a useful reminder to adults.

It uses easy understandable situations, from the most day to day ones (your best friend get a scratch), to the most extraordinary ones (100 elephants coming for tea!) to explain in easy word what this big fury dark monster of a worry is. And most importantly, how to get rid of it!

And above all, it is
Ramisa
Aug 12, 2016 Ramisa rated it it was amazing

"Is Worry Worrying You?" is a beautifully illustrated picture book establishing realistic emotions into unbelieving --yet somehow relatable-- circumstances. The ideas expressed are ridiculous, on the point of genius, and the literal portrayal of an abstract "worry" was a brilliant addition to the book.

The reason it stands out among other picture books is because it doesn't SIMPLY establish worries; the book shows ways you can fix them, and deal with these pesky worries. It assure the children t
Dayna
Nov 08, 2013 Dayna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
I read this book to my 5 year old son last night. I asked him his thought's on it. He said, "It was awesome". The worry's weren't worry's at all they were just demons. It made him excited that if there was a worry in his closet he would just slam the door on it. He say's, "If a demon appears he will just imagine it in a tutu. He want's me to read again to him tonight.

I enjoyed reading this book to him and listening to some of his worry's. This is a great way to find out what's really on your chi
Susan
Apr 13, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
A great book to look at what a worry is and how it can be resolved. The illustrations are delightful. It's a terrific way to discuss worry with anyone but perhaps more so with children. The book is a good reminder that anyone who worries can resolve it. It may need to be confronted or resolved but it can be done. A worry sometimes needs to be talked about with someone who will listen and respond to the worry . This book is an excellent way to get that conversation started.

Disclaimer: I received
Nicole
Apr 12, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
What is a worry? "A worry is something that stops you from... feeling good..." "It is invisible. But seems very real." Wolff and Savitz have written an amazing book that shows you that worrying is real and can make you feel sad and weighed down but not to fear because there are ways to stop worrying. Things may go askew and not how you planned but that doesn't mean everything is ruined. Things can be done to turn a situation around.
If there was a way to rate this book with more then five stars
Rachel
Jul 27, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old daughter-a real dyed in wool worrier- and I read this together as her bedtime story and she loved it!
It wasn't a traditional children's story, the illustrations remind me of Maurice Sendak, however Libby thought it was very good at looking at what children worry about and how to not make them such a big worry.
it led to an interesting discussion of what worries her and how she would deal with her own fears.
The book looks at the things children worry about in a humourous way but not
Earicka
Aug 26, 2014 Earicka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were really good and the subject matter is very helpful. This book teaches children how to deal with irrational anxiety and every day real worries. It is a cute and funny book that amazed me with its practicality and fun factor. I really think that this book could be a real resource to help parents teach their children not to worry. I would definitely let both my children read this book!

***This book is suitable for young readers on up but definitely could be read to small child
Chio Duran
Jul 17, 2014 Chio Duran rated it it was amazing
This book was certainly a piece of cuteness and good advice! The book features various characters who suffer from worrying too much. However, each case scenario comes with a helpful little tip to get rid of that sneaky monster call worry!! Overall, the pictures were simple and abstract but cute and picturesque. The text was witty and had an easy flow. Definitely a book that not only children but also adults will enjoy, for we all know that too much worrying can be bad for one's health. Read, Liv ...more
A Reader's Heaven
Aug 03, 2014 A Reader's Heaven rated it really liked it

What is a worry? And how do you get rid of it?

This is the premise of this delightful book for young readers. It helps children learn about problem-solving and ways of working out alternative ideas.

The illustrations really impressed me - Worry himself was very cool and looked like he had stepped out of a Tim Burton film (or belonged in one!)

An impressive book!

Paul
ARH
Andréa
I enjoyed the depiction of worries as monsters, and the dark tint and lines of the illustrations emphasized the darkening effect worries can have on one's attitude. The author offers some good solutions for kids to deal with their worries, which would make this a good read for kids who tend to be anxious and worried about everything.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it
Love the illustrations by Marie Le Tourneau - she really creates an interesting character with her Worry monster; the images overall are very expressive in fact. However, I found the text to be a bit verbose and thus overwhelming, especially since the pictures conveyed so much of what author Ferida Wolff was rehashing with her language. I think more streamlined text would have been a plus and made the book easier to enjoy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Because I Stubbed My Toe
  • The Slug
  • F Is for Feelings
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • A Tale of Two Daddies
  • When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book For Children Who Live With Anxiety
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Stop, Thief!
  • Game of Clones (The Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
  • A Terrible Thing Happened