Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder

Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  973 ratings  ·  43 reviews
To neighbors, she was the brave single mother...

Raising her five kids alone in a rundown section of Sacramento, Theresa Cross Knorr seemed like the ultimate survivor. But her youngest daughter, 16-year-old Terry, told police another story: one almost too terrible to believe.

But accused of imprisoning her children in a house of horrors...

According to Terry, Theresa--no long...more
Published March 15th 1995 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Mother Says..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Mother Says...

Paul
True crime, my once secret vice, but now you all know about it. This unlovely genre, true crime - it’s so sleazy and it’s got everything. The piquant pleasures of the do it yourself abattoir, the discovery in the dumpster, the jolly uncle, the picnic spot, the man walking his dog, the folorn poster, the crucial forensics, the fortunate CCTV, the plausible absence, the pretty niece, the remains gnawed by animals, the cellar, the other hidden cellar, the bulletproof alibi, the trophy collection, t...more
Jane
This should get either a 1 or a 5. The first half of the book is fantastic! This is a very sad, sadistic mother that abuses her children horribly & manipulates them into helping her kill her other children. One of the most chilling, disturbing books I have ever read.

BUT...the 2nd half of the book is WASTED! Why? Because the author didn't wait the 6 months until the trial was over!!! So I had to Google her name & find out what the end result was. So the last part of the book is all specul...more
Shirley
The words blood lust and mother should never be used in the same sentence. Those words are so unsettling it is the reasons for nightmares. What would cause a mother to torture and kill her own daughters while caring and loving of her sons. How does anyone grow up in a house of horrors yet be strong enough as an adult to finally end it. Justice served? I say no and never will be.

There was no insanity or madness in this woman. She was born with no soul. Evil hid behind the title of mother and man...more
Jennifer townsend
How anyone could do these things to their own children is beyond me. That lady was one sick and twisted bitch.
Bianka Armendariz
Katrina
I didn't like the way the book was written. Too much unnecessary information such as all the background info about the police officers, etc. Then to top it off it doesn't tell you how the story ended. I felt like it was a complete waste of time to read with no payoff in the end. It was a pretty decent read up until the end but I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone else to read.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
This woman had nothing but jealousy for her daughters. This book is very graphic and gives a detailed account to the abuse her daughters suffered before she finally killed them.
Sophie
This lady was a sick ass bitch!
This book disgusted me more than any other book I have read.
Daniel
True Crime. Very creepy story of a creepy mother and her violent, controlling ways.
Kim
OMG how can a mother be so cruel to the kids she gave life to?
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
After seeing this book plenty of times at my local used bookstore, I finally picked it up from my personal library. The front cover of teh book says this is a "true crime classic". I assume this means it is one of the stories that gained the most national attention from the time it was printed until know. I can see why even now 29 years after the murders of Seusan and Sheila were commited, it still hold people's attention to the case.

Theresa Knorr was a very evil mother and a horrible person. H...more
Teresa
Raising her ficve kids alone in a rundown section of Sacramento, Theresa Cross Knorr seemed like the ultimate survivor. But her youngest daughter, 16-year-old Terry, told police another story: One almost too terrible to believe.

According to Terry, Theresa--Nolonger the petite brunette she once was--had turned insanely jealous of her pretty eldest daughters and enlisted the help of her two teenaged sons in a vicious campaighn against their sisters.

Terr's gruesome tale told how Theresa had drugged...more
susan Johnson
I can't imagine the terror these children felt every day of their lives. I can't imagine how they must have felt when they laid their heads down at night never knowing what was in store for them when they woke up. I pray for these children that are now grown , that they will find peace .
Jill Glancy
I hate to give it 4 stars because of the morbidity of it, but it was very well written. Terribly sad though. Wish the mother would have had the balls to admit it though.
Charis
Sick and twisted. A horrifying tale.
Jennifer Patrick
Reading this was about as much fun as falling down an elevator shaft. I selected because it was on a best of true crime books. This mother murdered 2 of her teenage daughters for no reason. There was endless beating & starvation. Then she suddenly leaves town, reinvints herself and becomes a home caregiver to the ederly & loved by everyone. Since this book was written 15 years ago at the time of her arrest I will have to research what became of her at trial. To sum it up - Depressing!
Lesley Harris
The first half of the book was good except for the error the author made about both daughters being set in fire when it was just one( this is in the later part of the first half).The second half of the book was horrible! The author didnt have any information about the trial or its outcome! It was just speculation of everyone's psychological well being! I don't recommend the book because of the last half! Such a let down!
Elia
I rated this one so low not because it is not a good book... it's simply that it was so very disturbing that I was unable to make it more than about halfway through it.
I have a very strong stomach when it comes to serial killers and murder... but the things this woman did to her own children are some of the most horrifying and disturbing I have ever read about.
Julia Faraday
Meh. This book was entertaining, but it wasn't particularly good. It was poorly written, too verbose, and I lost track of how many times the author mentioned Theresa Knorr's weight and vanity. We get it, she's fat. It's a decent book, but if you're interested in reading it you'd be better off just reading the back. It tells you the entire story.
Mandy
Super creepy book. If you like true crime, it's average, but not fantastic. Honestly, the subject matter is enough to keep you up at night wondering what the world is coming to and how Satan can come to earth in the form of a middle-aged mother. Horrifying, really. Unless you love to feel disturbed, avoid it.
Shannon
This is another book about the true story of the woman my family hired to care for my grandmother. We were very surprised when this woman was arrested at my grandmother's home for the murder and abuse of her own children. The story has also been featured on TV true crime stories. Very scary woman.
Avis Black
Out of all the True Crime books I've read this is the saddest and most gruesome. It's a tough read, but until you experience it, you don't realize how awful a human being can get. Theresa Cross Knorr is a despicable monster, whose demented psychology has to be read to be comprehended.
Angelina
I grew up in the same town this happened in. I was the same age as the children in this book. A lot of things in this book played way to close to home for me.It was a chillin, horrible story of the worst mother a child could have. My heart goes out to the survivors.
Joanie
This book was about true eventys that Theresa Knorr and her sons did! It's hard to believe that a mother could be so cruel to her children, The book was a quick read because you wanted to know what happened. Very dissappointed with ending!
Hybrid21889
This story is sad. I can say it is well written and well investigated but I cannot say it is a good book because of the content. I wish however that the book was written after the trial.
Lindsay
What a creepy woman. Not only does she lay physical abuse upon her children, but she compounds it by forcing her older children to beat the younger ones.
Tiffany
Horrible true crime, This lady was psycho. I read this for a report I had to do for a criminology class. Very gruesome!!
Reeny
I found some of the content to be completely unbelievable. It is supposed to be a true story, maybe I am a skeptic?
Jeanine
Horrific true story of a deviant, disturbed mother and the terror and abuse inflicted on her daughters.
  • Cellar of Horror
  • A Beautiful Child
  • Cruel Sacrifice
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Invisible Darkness
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
  • In Broad Daylight
  • Because You Loved Me
  • Deadly Innocence
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • Pure Murder
  • Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
Quentin Tarantino Slave Girls In the Name of Satan: A True Story of Human Sacrifice, Devil Worship, and Murder Vanessa: A Portrait Of Evil Deadly Seduction